View Full Version : Weird hypothetical about draconic feats

Skyrender
2020-12-21, 03:53 PM
If a half-copper dragon silverbrow human (or some similarly bizarre double-draconic bloodline character) takes dragonfire assault, what energy type does it invoke?

Thurbane
2020-12-21, 04:21 PM
Can't say this is 100% RAW, but I would rule that when you select the feat you chose one of your available energy types, and that's the one you get to use with the feat, and can't change it later.

Darg
2020-12-22, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure the dragonblood subtype is lost when you acquire the dragon type of the half-dragon template. As such and as the feat states it would be of the type determined by your half-dragon heritage (which can be changed with a ritual).

Darrin
2020-12-22, 08:58 AM
If a half-copper dragon silverbrow human (or some similarly bizarre double-draconic bloodline character) takes dragonfire assault, what energy type does it invoke?

Electricity Acid is the only energy type available (Copper's energy affinity). Although Silverbrow humans may be descended from silver dragons, they do not have a "heritage" that can confer any particular energy type, at least not by RAW. A typical silverbrow human taking Dragonfire Assault would default to fire damage by RAW.

I'm pretty sure the dragonblood subtype is lost when you acquire the dragon type of the half-dragon template. As such and as the feat states it would be of the type determined by your half-dragon heritage (which can be changed with a ritual).

Yes. Creatures that acquire the dragon type lose the dragonblood subtype. Races of the Dragon page 4:

"Races presented in this book that have the dragonblood subtype include dragonborn, spellscale, kobold, and draconic creatures. Should a creature acquire the dragon type, it loses the dragonblood subtype."

That list doesn't explicitly include silverbrow humans or the dragonblood races in Dragon Magic, but page 4 of Dragon Magic reiterates the rule for all creatures on page 4:

"If a creature acquires the dragon type, it loses the dragonblood subtype."

Note: If you're looking for an easier way to switch your draconic heritage without investing in level adjustment or template class levels for Half-Dragon, there are two methods: Dragontouched + Draconic Heritage feats, or a 1-level dip into Dragon Shaman (see Dragon Magic, sidebar at bottom of page 18).

Skyrender
2020-12-22, 09:26 PM
First, copper's energy affinity is acid. Bronze gets electricity.

Second, given the writeup for silverbrow humans, it's pretty clear their draconic affinity is silver. This sort of thing can be reasonably inferred for all the dragonblood racial variants in Dragon Magic (forestlord elves having green affinity, or glimmerskin halflings having gold affinity, for example). The entire point of my original question was to ask for some idea of what sources supersede others. Both the half-dragon template and the dragon shaman class, for example, have their own separate sidebars that specifically say to assume that the source in question determines the appropriate draconic affinity. So what happens when two such things conflict?

I.E.: What if you're a half-gold dragon who happens to be a dragon shaman that follows a silver dragon totem? Both say "if you're X, your draconic affinity is X." This is RAW, and probably RAI, too. Problem is, they can conflict. Each type of change has an absolute statement in their favor. Of course, saying "ask your DM" is valid, but it just passes the buck, and in the past I have had DMs flip-flop on unclear rulings for major decisions multiple times within the span of a campaign, and sometimes even within a particular game session. I'm just hoping someone can point me at something that gives me a solid way of making this determination (and possibly similar ones, down the road).