PDA

View Full Version : Shove + Tavern Brawler OR Grappling Strike

Ir0ns0ul
2020-12-21, 05:51 PM
Hi friends, I didn't find a clear anwser about this question, so I decided to come to the most wise D&D minds over the internet.

If I decide to attempt a Shove action in order to knock my enemy prone, would that action trigger (assuming unarmed or utilizing an improved weapon in the case 2):

The grapple attempt bonus action granted by the Tavern Brawler feat?
The new Grappling Strike battlemaster maneuver?

References:

Using the Attack action, you can make a Special melee Attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this Attack replaces one of them.
The target must be no more than one size larger than you and must be within your reach. Instead of Making an Attack roll, you make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you win the contest, you either knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you.

When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target.

Immediately after you hit a creature with a melee attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die and then try to grapple the target as a bonus action (see the Player's Handbook for rules on grappling). Add the superiority die to your Strength (Athletics) check.

msfnc
2020-12-21, 06:07 PM
No, unfortunately. Both the Tav Brawler feat and Grappling Strike maneuver specify a "hit" with a weapon, attack, or strike. That language precludes either feature being triggered by a Shove. You CAN however, split up your attack action (assuming you have multiple attacks): Attack (1st attack = hit!), Bonus action: Grapple (either feature works here), then with your remaining attack, Shove.

Hi friends, I didn't find a clear anwser about this question, so I decided to come to the most wise D&D minds over the internet.

If I decide to attempt a Shove action in order to knock my enemy prone, would that action trigger (assuming unarmed or utilizing an improved weapon in the case 2):

References:

Using the Attack action, you can make a Special melee Attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this Attack replaces one of them.
The target must be no more than one size larger than you and must be within your reach. Instead of Making an Attack roll, you make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you win the contest, you either knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you.

When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target.

Immediately after you hit a creature with a melee attack on your turn, you can expend one superiority die and then try to grapple the target as a bonus action (see the Player's Handbook for rules on grappling). Add the superiority die to your Strength (Athletics) check.

Unoriginal
2020-12-21, 06:09 PM

References:

Well, strictly speaking, the Shove is a melee attack, but it's not explicitly an unarmed strike, or an attack with an improvised weapon, or even something you "hit a creature" with. There is no attack roll nor interaction with AC, so you can't say the creature is hit, it's explicitly an ability check contest.

I don't see any issue with allowing it in either case, though. It's not like grappling/unarmed combat is overpowered with that addition.

You CAN however, split up your attack action (assuming you have multiple attacks): Attack (1st attack = hit!), Bonus action: Grapple (either feature works here), then with your remaining attack, Shove.

That is also true, but it means the combo would only apply after lvl 5 at minimum.