PDA

View Full Version : how to identify scrier (Eye on the Sky + Live my nightmare)

flurryofDQ
2020-12-21, 06:13 PM
I have a character using Eye on the Scry Feat to know when he's being scryed, and I'm considering taking Live my Nightmare. He's a good character, and we have powerful allies and enemies who might scry us. Is there a way to identify who is scrying me so I know when to sic the nightmare on them?

I've looked at some of the prevent scrying threads, but I'm looking at specifically identifying who is scrying him.

Doctor Despair
2020-12-21, 06:54 PM
Craft Contingent Spell (feat)

"If someone I designate as an enemy in this book (or someone closely affiliated with them) casts a spell that would cause me to be eligible to use Live My Nightmare on them, use prestidigitation in front of me."

flurryofDQ
2020-12-21, 07:08 PM

"If someone I designate as an enemy in this book (or someone closely affiliated with them) casts a spell that would cause me to be eligible to use Live My Nightmare on them, use prestidigitation in front of me."

That's a brilliant idea. I love that you make it cheap too.

live my nightmare:
"This vision functions as a phantasmal killer spell, except that the form comes from your dreams, not the other creature's dreams. The other creature must succeed on a Will save (DC 14 + your Cha modifi er) to disbelieve the nightmare and a Fortitude save (DC 14 + your Cha modifier) to avoid dying from fear."

craft contingent spell:
"You can make contingent any spell that you know. Crafting a contingent spell takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price (spell level x caster level x 100 gp). To craft a contingent spell, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half the base price. Some spells incur extra costs in material components or XP (as noted in their descriptions), which must be paid when the contingent spell is created"

sleepyphoenixx
2020-12-22, 06:30 AM
It's a basic function of the scrying subschool. Link (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#miscellaneous)
The rules are in the ELH but don't actually require you to be epic.

Learning the identity of someone scrying you is a DC 30 CL check, which isn't that hard to achieve by the time scrying becomes available.
The only downside is that you need to have Scrying on your spell list, so non-casters are SoL.

Also the Detect Scrying spell lets you make an opposed CL check to get a visual image of the scryer and their range and direction from you.

Contingent spells always trigger on the bearer or are centered on the bearer if they're area effects (CArc).

Contingent spells are also neither sentient nor clairvoyant. They can only be triggered based on observable circumstances or events.
They can not read books, divine the name of someone casting a scrying spell on you or check who someone is affiliated with.

Contingent spells are also subject to the restrictions of the Contingency spell:

The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the companion spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. If complicated or convoluted conditions are prescribed, the whole spell combination (contingency and the companion magic) may fail when called on. The companion spell occurs based solely on the stated conditions, regardless of whether you want it to.
Emphasis mine.

flurryofDQ
2020-12-26, 12:57 AM
Good catch and good suggestion, Grumpy Phoenix!