PDA

View Full Version : Professions

Skyrender
2020-12-21, 06:55 PM
I found an old PDF which detailed a lot of professions with associated bonuses, in exchange for experience debt at character creation. For example, fishermen get Favored Enemy (aquatic), translators get Speak Language as a permanent class skill, and so on.

One thing I noticed that doesn't make sense: the brewer profession changes the XP necessary to use the Brew Potion feat from 1/25th of the potion's base cost (4%) to 1/20th of the base cost (5%), while setting you back 150 XP (or 250 XP if you're not a female!) at character creation. Scribes get the same thing for Scribe Scroll (no gender bias on this one). Is this some kind of oversight? A mistake? Is there any errata for this?

Saintheart
2020-12-21, 08:21 PM
That sounds like homebrew, there's nothing like that in the orthodox rules. As such, it likely does have even more horrible errors and miscalculations than the average WOTC sourcebook.

mabriss lethe
2020-12-22, 11:07 AM
Yeah, pretty sure that was some 3rd party material. However, there are a small number of Profession skills that have secondary benefits in the official books. The two coming to mind are Sailing and Mining.

KillianHawkeye
2020-12-22, 04:44 PM
Somebody didn't know how fractions work.

Thurbane
2020-12-22, 04:53 PM
Sounds a bit messy, but I do like the concept of giving some mechanical benefits from Profession skills.

In the past, I have homebrewed some synergies for Profession. If you have Profession (hunter) 5 ranks, for instance, you get a +2 bonus on Track checks.

Crake
2020-12-23, 08:44 PM
Somebody didn't know how fractions work.

20 is a smaller number than 25, thus it's less, right?

KillianHawkeye
2020-12-23, 08:56 PM
20 is a smaller number than 25, thus it's less, right?

That's why A&W's 1/3 lb burger failed to compete with the McDondalds quarter pounder. :smallamused:

Crake
2020-12-23, 09:05 PM
That's why A&W's 1/3 lb burger failed to compete with the McDondalds quarter pounder. :smallamused:

Probably the same reason they call it a double quarter pounder rather than a half pounder.