PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other A Timely Pun in the form of a Flawed [Magic Item]. Guess the name!

DracoDei
2020-12-21, 08:41 PM
((See Post #8 for spoiler containing name.))
This clear viscous liquid smells slightly of an alchemical concoction used to clean wounds. That other substance is sometimes known as "rubbing alcohol".
The designer of this fluid was trying to create a liquid that could be thrown in a bottle to cause the effects of Earthen Grasp*. Unfortunately they could not correct a flaw in it that only allowed it to work on sand rather than other surfaces. They often sell it in bottles enchanted to shatter on contact with a sufficiently large amount of sand.

Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Brew Potion; Price 150 gp.

*For those without Complete Arcane or Spell Compendium this causes a ~5' tall hand to form out of any ground softer than stone and try to grab nearby targets.

This has been stuck in my brain for a while, but I couldn't get it to come out of my fingers for some bizarre reason. I've managed to force it out, and will leave the name off for the moment. But here is a vague sort of hint (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?t=609816).

noob
2020-12-22, 04:37 PM
shand?(circular permutation of the letters of hands?)

DracoDei
2020-12-22, 04:49 PM
shand?(circular permutation of the letters of hands?)

You are in the general neighborhood, but no.

noob
2020-12-22, 06:38 PM
Innate power?(if you understand the reference then you probably are not a normal person)

kinem
2020-12-22, 07:52 PM
Sand Shake?

Segev
2020-12-23, 02:08 AM
o/~ And they caaaaallll him "Saaaaandy Clawwwwwwws" o/~

darkbuu_1
2020-12-23, 06:05 AM
(Bigby's) Grasping Sand

Though I'm pretty sure Segev has it right.

DracoDei
2020-12-23, 05:57 PM
o/~ And they caaaaallll him "Saaaaandy Clawwwwwwws" o/~
None of you have hit what I was aiming at although I will give this one especially great credit.

Added a bit of description to the original post: This clear viscous liquid smells slightly of an alchemical concoction used to clean wounds. That other substance is sometimes known as "rubbing alcohol".

I guess I'll throw the name up in a spoiler now.
It is relevant to COVID-19, not the holiday's. "Sand Shake" was in the right direction too.
Sand Hand-itizer.