PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What inspiration would you take from Legend of Dragoon when writing a story?

MonkeySage
2020-12-21, 08:48 PM
When considering what story I might write up for the campaign I plan to run soon, I thought of attempting to use Legend of Dragoon again. Previously, however, I attempted to basically adapt the game's plot, when I first started DMing. My thought now is to, rather than trying to adapt the plot, simply use the game as inspiration for my own story. This won't be Legend of Dragoon in D&D.... I simply want to think of what elements made it interesting, and how I might apply those to this setting and campaign.

Alcore
2020-12-22, 04:45 AM
I still play it. On my first PS1 :smallredface:

What elements made it interesting? The party dynamic is big. I enjoyed the occasional downtime to chat with most of the ladies, and Kongol. Can't really do that unless you have few players and need a few DMPCs to roundthem out. Watching the dragoons power up and charge up melee was awesome; shana, our innocent vergin, stripped each time which was so odd. I liked how the animation was so poor that when she lowered her gaze to look at the floor it looked like she was gazing at Dart's crotch. We all knew that wasn't what she was doing but she was still doing it and we shared a giggle as a family. He must have been really packing.

It didn't take itself as seriously as our current games and media. It lampshades Meru wandering in the artic while wearing a thong and then doesn't care afterwards.

More thought is needed. Thoughts that could be used in a game.

Alcore
2020-12-23, 06:02 AM
Yeah...

The light heartedness. Much like Deadpool it occasionally mocked the things it, itself, was doing. It didn't care. More of a pardogy as it wasn't mean about it. The plot was horribly contrived and it didn't care.

On some things it even treated you like an adult; unlike most modern media. Dart was the son of Zeg (Zig?) Who was that guy that Rose once loved, who stabbed the big bad and got possessed. His mother was Hashel's (sorry i butchered that name) daughter that he is looking for. The story dances around it and some dialogue and in game motions point to it not being a secret. Never does everyone sit down and spell it out for stupid "audience stand in" so the stupid audience can put 2 and 2 together and get 4. This occasionally hurt as my ten year old self didn't care at the time. As i got older i remembered the plot better but disc 3 seemed aimless to me.

Sir Leveitz was definitely not Sir Lancelot. King Albert was definitely not King Arthur. Meru *wink* had no connection to Loyd despite the family resemblance. They (developers) went a little thick on Meru and not even the party was too terribly bothered by the 'not' reveal. Some of them already knew or just didn't care.

At the end of the day it was simply about a man saving his lady and knew what it wanted to be; entertaining.

Another element is the sense of epic declining to normalism that we also see in Tolkien. The Winglies are not only in decline, except for a few mutants (leading me to think either inbreeding or lack of will), are barely able to fly or shoot magic balls. Most magic is in decline and the most wonderous stuff you find is old stuff. I understand the role of the God of Destruction; the world is getting stale, all the orcs are slain, the tombs are delved. The "levels" are dropping for high CR crap is dying off that would normally supply XP.

Edit: the world was in need of a reboot.