PDA

View Full Version : mental state while polymorphed

Samayu
2020-12-21, 11:48 PM
Polymorph spell: The target's game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality.
First, how do you play as a polymorphed PC? Having your mental attributes changed while retaining personality, and the fact that this is generally used as a combat spell, means that you know who to attack, and who not to. But maybe you won't be using the best tactics? As a T-Rex, you're not going to chase "anything it thinks it can eat" because you're still kinda you. If you keep the shape after combat, maybe you'll play loyal guardbeast for a while?

Second, is it any different when you choose yourself as the target of the spell? Would anything make you more or less willing to drop concentration at any point?

Edited:
Do we get to keep any class features? Feats, like Sentinel?

GeoffWatson
2020-12-22, 01:49 AM
You don't keep any class features, feats, or magic items - just use the stat block from the Monster Manual.

Tanarii
2020-12-22, 09:02 AM
Personality is a distinct thing in 5e. It's your personality trait, ideal, bond, flaw. Arguably alignment. That's what you keep. You roleplay by taking those into account when making decisions.

Int, Wis and Cha are used for checks. You roleplay by avoiding making decisions that depend on the check. Or deciding to risk it in spite of a check having a different modifier than usual.

Technically the spell would be a LOT more balanced if the target was taken over by the spell, and had to think like an animal, other than their personality traits. But it doesn't that. If you want to roleplay an animal with the additional of the 5e personality traits and making up additional requirements because if a low Int score even when there is no check, go to town. But it's not required.

JellyPooga
2020-12-22, 02:40 PM
Personality is a distinct thing in 5e. It's your personality trait, ideal, bond, flaw. Arguably alignment. That's what you keep. You roleplay by taking those into account when making decisions.

Int, Wis and Cha are used for checks. You roleplay by avoiding making decisions that depend on the check. Or deciding to risk it in spite of a check having a different modifier than usual.

Technically the spell would be a LOT more balanced if the target was taken over by the spell, and had to think like an animal, other than their personality traits. But it doesn't that. If you want to roleplay an animal with the additional of the 5e personality traits and making up additional requirements because if a low Int score even when there is no check, go to town. But it's not required.

While I agree with most of this, my own take is that while you retain your personality, your mental state has changed. Much like when you're under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, you're still you, but not at the same time. Your actions while polymorphed should probably reflect that in some degree.

Like Tanarii says, though, it's not required.

Samayu
2020-12-22, 09:39 PM

Good to know.

I polymorph into an ape to climb up the cliff. But my flaw is that I'm distracted by shiny things, so I climb back down because our bard is wearing a bejeweled tiara. So she has to climb up the cliff to lure me back up, and fortunately doesn't have to roll animal handling, because my bond is all about party loyalty (plus, the tiara).

I assume that most people play it like, "yeah do what you want. Just try not to be too smart."

Tanarii
2020-12-22, 10:24 PM
Good to know.

I polymorph into an ape to climb up the cliff. But my flaw is that I'm distracted by shiny things, so I climb back down because our bard is wearing a bejeweled tiara. So she has to climb up the cliff to lure me back up, and fortunately doesn't have to roll animal handling, because my bond is all about party loyalty (plus, the tiara).

If they're played like that as a PC, that PC is gonna get in trouble sooner or later. :smallamused:

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-23, 01:05 AM
Good to know.

I assume that most people play it like, "yeah do what you want. Just try not to be too smart."

I also had one, our cleric polymorphed me to a rat right after he told me to attack something (I was a true believer of the goddess he served and even met the goddess).

The something was a statue, I tried to destroy a statue as a rat with bites.

We ended the encounter with talking after he turned me back to my Aasimar self.

Samayu
2020-12-23, 11:35 PM
I also had one, our cleric polymorphed me to a rat right after he told me to attack something (I was a true believer of the goddess he served and even met the goddess).

The something was a statue, I tried to destroy a statue as a rat with bites.

We ended the encounter with talking after he turned me back to my Aasimar self.

I think that "you retain your personality" means that you would be inclined to follow the cleric's orders. But the rat part of you would be smart enough not to bite the statue.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-24, 01:45 AM
I think that "you retain your personality" means that you would be inclined to follow the cleric's orders. But the rat part of you would be smart enough not to bite the statue.

I saw parts destroy stuff with bites IRL.

And my character is stupid regardless.
The fact a rat should be smart enough doesn't meant my character as a rat will be smart enough.

Minice
2020-12-24, 02:06 AM
A pc could in theory have a 3 in a mental score. from terrible rolls.

a beasts int is in the range of 1-3 and int dictates your mental acuity, information recall and analytical skills. so your not going to be good at remembering or learning anything or inspecting anything.

beasts have about a 10 wis so your awareness, intuition and insight is average.

and to end mental stats cha is below average but not generally terrible. and you need it for leadership? cha doesn't really apply much as a beast.

So if thiers a plan, you prolly forgot past the first step. though if your buddy calls out for help or to do something you'd prolly notice and be able to go help.

So just play it like your a BSF?