PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (D&D 5e) Hit location homebrew - please help playtest!

GiantOctopodes
2020-12-22, 10:22 PM
Greetings! I devised a relatively simple-ish hit location system, with the following design goals:
- Expand options for basic attacks with called shots
- Expand the possibilities for disabling an opponent or being disabled, making combat more varied between full HP and 0 HP
- Enhance the ability to visualize what is occurring in combat, and promote better descriptors by the GM
- Make called shots feel viable and impactful but by no means mandatory

I worked on it for a while, and here's where I ended up:

This system applies to vaguely humanoid characters only at this time. Future enhancements may include expanding its scope to creatures with non-humanoid physiology. Each character has 6 hit locations - the Head, Torso, Right Arm, Left Arm, Right Leg, and Left Leg. Each hit location has a HP pool, in addition to the character's overall HP pool. The Torso has 1/2 the character's total HP pool, the limbs have 1/3 of the character's total HP, and the head has 1/4 of the character's total HP. As part of the damage roll for any attack against a relevant character a hit location die is rolled. Based on its results, the character being damaged subtracts the damage of the attack from their overall HP pool, but also subtracts the total damage from the HP pool of any locations hit. If multiple locations are shown on the hit location die, the character being damaged can distribute the damage amongst those locations in a fashion of their choosing. For example, if 12 damage is dealt, and the hit location die shows "both legs", the character can have each leg take 6 damage, either leg take all 12, or anything in between.

Prior to rolling for an attack against a relevant character, the attacker may choose to target a specific hit location, and make a called shot. If they target a specific hit location, and it is shown on the hit location die when rolled, all damage is dealt to the hit location specified. Furthermore, the damage dealt to the hit location's HP pool is doubled, though the damage done to their overall HP pool is unaffected. Finally, there is an additional effect based on the location hit:
Head - The character suffers disadvantage on all attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws until the end of their next turn.
Torso - The character suffers one level of fatigue.
Arm - The character drops any items held in their hand
Leg - The character is knocked prone
If a called shot is made, and the hit location in question is not on the hit location die when rolled, then the hit is instead a grazing hit, and does half normal damage. If an attack is being made with advantage, during a called shot the attacker may choose to roll the attack die twice and take the more favorable result, as normal, -or- they may alternately roll the hit location die twice, taking the more favorable result.

Any healing done to a character heals all hit locations by the amount healed, as well as restoring their overall HP pool as normal. If a limb is reduced to 0 HP, it is rendered useless. If the torso is reduced to 0 HP, the character suffers two levels of fatigue. If the head is reduced to 0 HP, the character is rendered unconscious. A hit to a limb already at 0 HP dismembers it. A hit to the torso or head, when they are already at 0 HP, results in the character's death*.

The Hit Location Die is a D12, with the following faces:
1 Head
2 Whole Body (all 6 hit locations)
3 Right Leg
4 Left Leg
5 Legs (Right Leg, Left Leg)
6 Right Arm
7 Left Arm
8 Arms (Right Arm, Left Arm)
9 Upper Body (Right Arm, Left Arm, Torso, Head)
10 Lower Body (Left Leg, Right Leg, Torso)
11 Torso
12 Torso

Overall, the following quantities of each hit location exist on the die:
3 Head
4 Left Leg
4 Right Leg
4 Right Arm
4 Left Arm
5 Torso

*Our campaign is designed such that player death is totally fine. If you are concerned about unexpected death, you may wish to revise this to automatically knocking their HP to 0, possibly with an automatic failure of a death saving throw.

That's the system, our experience with it so far is overall a positive one. On average, taking a called shot is a net decrease in damage done, but it has substantial enough benefits to often be worth it anyway. It makes it easy to execute on strategies like going for the legs on runners, and increases the ability of characters to meaningfully interact with each other during combat, in a way that does not rely on adjudication. Perhaps best of all, I find it makes it very easy to visualize and describe what's happening during combat. If you are going for the head and end up hitting the arm, maybe he raises his arm and blocks the blow early. If you are aiming for the arm and hit the leg, perhaps he dodges mostly out of the way, but the tail end of your attack manages to snag his leg as he retreats. Limbs hang limply and can get knocked off entirely, characters can get knocked out from a lucky blow to the head. All of this adds to the ability to make a combat seem engaging and immersive, and have that reflected on the battlefield.

It does, however, require significant upkeep and maintenance. When using Roll20, I add a 2x3 table to the GM notes for tokens, putting their hit location hp in there and tracking that way. It's not difficult or time consuming, but it does require having all the token's notes open, which requires sizable screen real estate. In person, scratch paper does well enough of course. It's not too bad though, as despite it seeming like it would be a lot to always track 6 additional numbers per character, really the only ones you need to note are those reduced to 0, which happens often enough to matter but not so often that it gets ridiculous, in our playtesting so far. In-combat healing abilities, already incredibly important, become even *more* important using this system, which can be construed as a positive or negative depending on how you feel about it, but it definitely makes a difference.

That's all based on our experiences though, which is one group, and a limited set of levels (3-7) so far. I'd love to know folk's thoughts in theory, sure, but far more, I'd love more practical playtesting if folks are interested. I'm curious how this plays out in others hands, and what arises, good and bad. If it seems like too much upkeep and you don't want to try it, totally fair, but I'd especially love to see things like, does a given hit location feel good or bad to target; does it feel like called shots in general are mandatory or useless; do combats end up being too swingy and random or is it increasing immersion; are certain hp thresholds too high or low; are the die facing representations for a hit location too many or too few; that kind of thing.

I definitely appreciate your time, thoughts, and consideration! Also if any part of this is unclear let me know, I'll answer and also edit the OP to hopefully improve clarity and readability as needed.

Damon_Tor
2020-12-22, 11:38 PM
The greatest enemy at my table is time. The time we have allotted to the game as measured in hours and the time it takes each player to take their turn as measured in minutes. More declaring, rolling, checking tables, it just feels excessive.

If you must do this, simplify. Let anyone use a battlemaster maneuver. But if they don't have a superiority dice to roll, they must declare it before the attack roll, obviously get no bonus damage and take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. There, neat and easy.

GiantOctopodes
2020-12-23, 12:28 AM
The greatest enemy at my table is time. The time we have allotted to the game as measured in hours and the time it takes each player to take their turn as measured in minutes. More declaring, rolling, checking tables, it just feels excessive.

If you must do this, simplify. Let anyone use a battlemaster maneuver. But if they don't have a superiority dice to roll, they must declare it before the attack roll, obviously get no bonus damage and take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. There, neat and easy.

Thanks, but I'm not looking for ways to not do this :-) I'm looking for feedback on this system as it is, or similar variants. If you feel it's not a good fit for you because you're concerned the upkeep would slow things down too much, that's totally fair and valid. Just be aware not only is it already in play, and again overall a positive experience so far, but I have no intention of stripping it down and implementing an alternate system.

GalacticAxekick
2020-12-23, 07:02 PM
Thanks, but I'm not looking for ways to not do this :-) I'm looking for feedback on this system as it is, or similar variants.He gave you feedback on this system. It's many times more complicated to keep track of than the official system, and makes turns significantly longer.

If complication and time are not concerns at your table, then this is a great system for your table. I just know that this would be completely unplayable at mine. Even using ordinary attack rolls and spells, my players sometimes get bored waiting for their turns and lose track of statistics.

Damon_Tor
2020-12-23, 07:44 PM
Thanks, but I'm not looking for ways to not do this :-) I'm looking for feedback on this system as it is, or similar variants. If you feel it's not a good fit for you because you're concerned the upkeep would slow things down too much, that's totally fair and valid. Just be aware not only is it already in play, and again overall a positive experience so far, but I have no intention of stripping it down and implementing an alternate system.

I feel like I was being constructive by my suggestion to implement maneuvers at -5 attack roll. It's a simpler system that does what you want it to do.

I guess I don't understand the point of a hit-within-a-hit system. You roll 1d20 to see if you hit, 1d12 to see if you hit the part you were trying to hit (full damage and a side effect on a hit, half damage on a miss). So if your called shot is a percentile of the to-hit chance anyway, why do you need the second dice roll at all? Make the side effect of the called shot (and full damage) occur when you exceed AC by 5+ or whatever. Any why a table to check? Just say called shot vs a limb is successful on a 5+, vs a Torso on a 4+ and a head on a 6+. Or whatever.

And tracking six pools of limb HP alongside regular HP for all the PCs and every humanoid enemy... that just sounds like masochism to me.

Kane0
2020-12-25, 08:54 PM
I feel like I was being constructive by my suggestion to implement maneuvers at -5 attack roll. It's a simpler system that does what you want it to do.

I guess I don't understand the point of a hit-within-a-hit system. You roll 1d20 to see if you hit, 1d12 to see if you hit the part you were trying to hit (full damage and a side effect on a hit, half damage on a miss). So if your called shot is a percentile of the to-hit chance anyway, why do you need the second dice roll at all? Make the side effect of the called shot (and full damage) occur when you exceed AC by 5+ or whatever. Any why a table to check? Just say called shot vs a limb is successful on a 5+, vs a Torso on a 4+ and a head on a 6+. Or whatever.

And tracking six pools of limb HP alongside regular HP for all the PCs and every humanoid enemy... that just sounds like masochism to me.

I don't suppose you've ever played Battletech?

anthon
2021-01-08, 02:38 AM
hit locations if used assume an increased complexity.

if you are willing to cave to that complexity,

then you can take into consideration size.

Hit locations should be penalized by size. Normally a person attacking hits either:
1. the attack arm
2. the shield arm
3. the Torso

attacking any of these should be 0 penalty, because they are what you hit anyway. If the target is being defensive with a shield, then you would get to hit the shield free, but not the torso.
if they were using a sword to defend, their sword and sword arm but not torso would be a free target.

like, this is basic.

But hitting something not in the typical defense circle of melee, thats when you run into trouble. Hitting the head for instance.

After the core 3, you have limb/location size.

Giants have bigger limbs. Hitting them is easier than humans.
pixies have tiny limbs. Hitting anything is harder.

pick an increment you think the dice will support, and have it stack so people don't have to think too hard.

-5 stacks too fast for a low bonus game like 5e.
+6 to hit at 20th level? are you kidding? -5 is huge stacked.

-5/10/15 for instance is asking too much.

But what about -2?

5e hates things like stacking bonuses or penalties, and only has -5 and disadvantage, or stuff like "don't strength/dex/prof bonus"
That's basically 3 steps tops to distribute across everything from a dragon's wing (the size of a sail, probably easy to hit) to a sprite's eye (nigh impossible).

its up to you. 5e combat is more dream like anyway. Blind effects for example ware off and people can go from bleeding to death to fully healed in a few hours. Everyone regenerates. Called shots are more for games where severing limbs or losing eyes counts.

Kane0
2021-01-08, 04:22 PM
A hit location system I used (once, not a big data set) is roll to hit normally, and if you hit roll 2d6 to determine where you hit:

(Minimum) 2-4: arms
5-7: legs
8-10: torso
11-12: head

If you rolled high you could choose a lower result.

The benefits of cover and shields also apply to this roll (shield -2, half cover -2, 3/4 cover -5)

If the there is more than one size category of difference between you and your target you have disadvantage on the roll (eg medium attacking huge, roll 3d6 take worst 2)

Critical give you advantage on the roll (roll 3d6 take best 2)

If the target doesnt have the limbs (non humanoids) DM picks nearest counterpart (eyestalks for a beholder for example) or just goes upwards on the scale until something applies (a gelatinous cube is all ‘torso’)

Deepbluediver
2021-01-08, 04:49 PM
I think the idea is interesting, but I agree with the people who say that it's too complicated and time-consuming for most groups. My personal bug-a-boo would be tracking HP across a central pool as well as multiple other separate pools; the siren song of "how much health did I have left?" is heard far to often at our table as it is.

About the only way I would probably ever use the OP's system as written is if I were trying to plan some sort of multi-stage bossfight against a really big (brontosaurus-sized) enemy or something like that, and I wanted to showcase the players slowly witling it down.

To drastically simplify, I'd probably do something like: give a penalty to hit certain parts of the body instead of just generic damage, and offer an additional effect beyond just damage if you succeed. Called shot to the head? Target is dazed for 1 round. Called shot to the legs? Target's speed is reduced for 1 round. Arms- penalty to attacks/spells/skillchecks. Torso- chance to destroy or steal item.
Double the duration of the debuffs if the hit is with a 2-handed weapon.
etc etc etc