PDA

View Full Version : What would your class be?

Falconer
2007-11-06, 02:10 AM
Out of pure curiousity...based on your current profession or interests, what do you think your character class would be?

Since i'm very much into acting and theatrics (particularly improv), I think I'd probably be a bard.

Not bad, actually. Not bad...:smallsmile:

Rad
2007-11-06, 02:35 AM
Loremaster (from Wizard). Probably with able learner and lots of cross-class skills.

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-06, 02:37 AM
Wizard or Beguiller (I have high Int, Good Con and Dex, Decent Cha and poor Str and Wis).

ronnyfire
2007-11-06, 02:38 AM
monk or fighter, possibly rogue even.

trained in the martial arts, strong and agile.

Townopolis
2007-11-06, 02:39 AM
Monk because I suck at everything.

I might be a weird kind of bard, or a knight. No, definitely factotum.

Dhavaer
2007-11-06, 02:43 AM
Possbily Duskblade. I'd like Warlock, though. Or Psion.

Temp
2007-11-06, 02:54 AM
Low-level Commoner with arbitrary plot-protection.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-06, 03:00 AM
level 3 bard with power attack, improved unarmed strike, and iron will
13 str, 10 dex, 14 cha, 14 int 14 wis 14 con
high ranks in knowledge history and religion
high ranks in diplomacy and bluff
high ranks in sense motive
a smattering of ranks in know. geography, balance, spot, hide, survival

I figure lots of gamers would probably bards, given the hoards of useless knowledge we accumulate, and that gaming is basically telling a story.

SoD
2007-11-06, 03:01 AM
Bard for me, I'm fluent in 2 types of instruments, plus voice, and learning another 3 or so. Slightly lower than normal str, average dex, average con, reasonable int, terrible wis, great cha. Sums me up well, I walk into a dungeon full of monsters and sing at them. While playing the piano.

leperkhaun
2007-11-06, 04:19 AM
Str 12
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 10

Fighter 2/Bard 2/Expert 3

As someone in the military iv had some combat training, played piano for about 14-15 years , but my job lends itself more towards an expert

KIDS
2007-11-06, 05:05 AM
Cloistered Cleric of a Cause (I'm an agnostic)/Bard (focus on storytelling)/Monk (basic martial arts and forms)/Mystic Theurge. Mix in Sublime Chord for more cheese because astronomy fits too. Ayup.

I pondered being a druid, but no way, I have some empathy with the natural world but am afraid of centipedes, grasshoppers and butterflies.... technically they are vermin so no big deal, but still!

Mystral
2007-11-06, 05:13 AM
I guess I'd be a sorcerer/ur-priest. Blast things and animate them. Yay, good times. :amused:

Bayar
2007-11-06, 05:16 AM
Alchemist in training....I am at the Oil chemistry University (Petrochemistry...or something like that)

Also, some kind of blaster...

Freelance Henchman
2007-11-06, 05:26 AM
A Monk, because there's nothing I can do that somebody else can't do better :smallsmile: Also, I lost my class abilities.

bugsysservant
2007-11-06, 07:12 AM
Factotum. My highest score is intelligence, though my strength, constitution, and charisma are also pretty good. My dexterity is average, and my wisdom... well it's not so good.

But, yeah, factotum. Tons of skills from across the board, meaning I am some sort of skill focused class. Also, I can do a lot of things, but not by trying hard or any such nonsense, but just by showing up, so I probably have some form of inspiration going on. Especially since I almost never have to study or practice, it just sorta happens. :smallbiggrin:

Swooper
2007-11-06, 07:35 AM
I'd be a low level wizard. I'm currently studying Computing Science, and I always thought scribing spells would be like writing code... I might have a swashbuckler level though, due to sabre-fencing training for about twelve years.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-06, 07:38 AM
Warrior 3, Rogue 1, Favored Soul 1, Sorcerer 1

Good STR, good CON, very high INT, average to less than average DEX, good WIS, average to good CHA. All in all I rolled an awesome set of stats, I just picked very suboptimal choices for my professions.

I don't think the DM in this campaign setting allows the PHB2 option of retraining either.:smalleek:

SilverClawShift
2007-11-06, 07:45 AM
Realistically? Level 2 Expert. I'm do a fair amount of things requiring skills in which I excel a bit more than the average person in the field. But I'm no celebrity nor am I a hero, much less a superhero.

A little more fantastically? I'd fancy myself a 3rd level artificer, minus the infusions (and, you know, magic isn't real). Craft Wonderous Items and Scribe Scroll, translated into non-magical equivalents, kinda summarizes my day job.
And brew potion? I can mix up a pretty good cocktail, so I dunno :smallamused:

Grynning
2007-11-06, 08:11 AM
Well, stats wise I am fairly sure I have Int 14-15 (if you go with the assumption that IQ/10 gives you your Int stat), Cha 12, Wis 10, Str 10, Dex 13-14 (I'm a good shot and fairly quick), Con 8 (I smoke a lot and get sick fairly frequently, plus I've been knocked out with one punch...twice).
In all truth I'm probably just an expert 3 or 4. Although, if you're trying to make real-life stats for yourself, the Call of Cthulu d20 game is the best system for it - characters in that game are fairly realistic and utterly average, with nothing but skill points to get them through the day.
Feats? Well, probably Jack-of-All trades (I know a little about a lot of stuff) and maybe Skill Focus: Knowledge (Nerdy Things like RPG's, Star Trek and comics)
As for my skill ranks, my job requires Computer Use, Sense Motive (quite a bit, I know I've picked up a few ranks), some kind of generic investigation/research skill, and a few various knowledge checks. Otherwise I have a couple ranks each in Swim, Perform (acting), Survival (Boy Scouts), Profession (Writer), and Heal.
If I COULD be any D&D class - well, as I already mentioned on a similar thread, probably Psion. Or anything that can Teleport and Dimension Door.

Fawsto
2007-11-06, 10:51 AM
Paladin

Not kiding. I am a Lawyer and I have strong beliefs about justice.

Stats? Dunno... Got do that test again.

captain_decadence
2007-11-06, 11:09 AM
Commoner level 1.

Darkxarth
2007-11-06, 11:13 AM
Realistically? Level 1 Commoner.

That one ability test everyone takes had me at:
Str 8
Dex 10
Con 6
Int 13
Wis 11
Cha 14

If I could be a PC class I'd definitely take Bard or Sorcerer, probably Bard. Diplomancer all the way! :smallbiggrin:

Renrik
2007-11-06, 11:40 AM
if we're going for self-agrandizement: Ranger 1

If we're going for extreme self agrandizement: Ranger 2

If we're going to be realistic: Expert 1

Artanis
2007-11-06, 11:44 AM
Probably a Wizard/Geometer. At least, I assume that's what working on a master's in Math would qualify as.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-06, 11:52 AM
In real life? Expert 2 or 3.

If magic and the like were real, giving myself 3 levels:

Cloistered Cleric 1 / Bard 1 / Wizard 1 I'm all about the suboptimal multiclassing. Darn philosophy degree...

According to that silly stat test:

St: 8
Dex 16
Con: 10
Int: 16
Wis: 15
Cha: 13

and NG according to the WotC alignment one.

Lolzords
2007-11-06, 11:57 AM
I'm also into acting and such, and also play the guitar, and people around me agree that my alignment is chaotic something, so I guess bard is what I'd be.

According to that ability test, mine are:

Str 11
Dex 11
con 13
int 15
wis 10
cha 18

Fiery Justice
2007-11-06, 12:00 PM
Cloistered Cleric 1 (I'm 15, its the best I can do). If you know, divine magic funcutioned that way... if not, Expert 1.

Draz74
2007-11-06, 12:05 PM
Low-level Commoner with arbitrary plot-protection.

Dude, you should totally PrC into Fortune's Friend from the Complete Scoundrel. :smallwink:

Me? Cloistered Cleric. Fits me perfectly.

brian c
2007-11-06, 12:12 PM
Monk/Expert. Good Int and Dex, decent Wis and Con, kinda low Str, i dunno about Cha. Skill ranks in various Knowledge skills, Balance, Open Lock, Move Silently. No ranks in Diplomacy, Swim or Climb.

trainer343
2007-11-06, 12:35 PM
Barbarian with a few levels of Druid. Probally becouse I want to crush civilation and wipe the taint of humanity off my planet.

But that's just me.

Swordguy
2007-11-06, 12:55 PM
Somebody modeled me in the old "Calibration" thread as a a 5th lvl human fighter.

I think it's probably about right (feats and hp excepted).

Kesnit
2007-11-06, 02:08 PM
In my mind: Paladin.
Based on my real life: Bard
Dream class: Warlock :smallamused:

VerdugoExplode
2007-11-06, 02:10 PM
Crusader, because if there's two things I love in life it's Jesus and hitting people.

Honestly though, no idea, cloistered cleric on the grounds that I don't go out much, though I must say that my Wisdom is probably abysmal so I would spend most of my time doing janitorial work.

Nostri
2007-11-06, 02:42 PM
Realistically I'm probably a 2nd or 3rd level Expert with a couple of feats that give me yet more class skills.

If I got to choose a PC class based on who I am currently and all that....probably Bard 1/Druid 2 if we get three levels. That or straight fighter with an alternate skill point system.

tainsouvra
2007-11-06, 02:59 PM
I'm assuming we're picking what would be appropriate if we had the same interests but had been born in a D&D universe.

Wizard, probably Diviner. Knowing what I shouldn't is kind of what I'm known for.

WhiteHarness
2007-11-06, 03:02 PM
Let's see...

Once again, just like every time this topic comes up, we have people thinking that they somehow qualify as the usual assortment of Bards, Monks, and Wizards, etc.

Nonsense.

Like the OP said: "based on your current profession or interests..," not "what class are you 'in spirit?'"

You're all Commoners with maybe a few Experts thrown in, and in all likelihood, none of you has an ability score above 13, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of you are probably a solid level 1. Believing otherwise is giving in to self-delusion.

Being able to play an instrument or being in drama class does not make you a Bard. You're a Commoner or Expert with ranks in Perform.

Having a black belt from the local McDojo does not make you a Monk. If you're not too out of shape, you might rate as a Warrior with Improved Unarmed Strike.

Being the smartest kid in your class does not qualify you as a Wizard. You might be an Expert.

Liking the outdoors does not mean you're a Druid or a Ranger. You're probably simply a Commoner or Expert who loves being outdoors and has a skill or feat or two to go with it.

Prosaic but true. Embrace it.

Alex12
2007-11-06, 03:06 PM
Factotum. I'm just smart enough in a wide enough range of subjects that I can get by without really doing great at anything.

Telonius
2007-11-06, 03:09 PM
Based on my profession? Expert 2 or 3.

Based on my profession and my interests? Archivist 2 or 3. Yeah, working for a scientific journal will teach you a few things that Should Not Be Known, and I also have an interest in various esoteric religions.

tainsouvra
2007-11-06, 03:13 PM
Let's see...

Once again, just like every time this topic comes up, we have people thinking that they somehow qualify as the usual assortment of Bards, Monks, and Wizards, etc.

Nonsense.

Like the OP said: "based on your current profession or interests..," not "what class are you 'in spirit?'"

You're all Commoners with maybe a few Experts thrown in, and in all likelihood, none of you has an ability score above 13, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of you are probably a solid level 1. Believing otherwise is giving in to self-delusion.

Being able to play an instrument or being in drama class does not make you a Bard. You're a Commoner or Expert with ranks in Perform.

Having a black belt from the local McDojo does not make you a Monk. If you're not too out of shape, you might rate as a Warrior with Improved Unarmed Strike.

Being the smartest kid in your class does not qualify you as a Wizard. You might be an Expert.

Liking the outdoors does not mean you're a Druid or a Ranger. You're probably simply a Commoner or Expert who loves being outdoors and has a skill or feat or two to go with it.

Prosaic but true. Embrace it. "Would be", not "is". You don't need to rain on everyone's parade simply because you misread the OP :smallconfused:

Swordguy
2007-11-06, 03:20 PM
Let's see...
You're all commoners with maybe a few experts thrown in, and in all likelihood, none of you has an ability score above 13, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of you are probably a solid level 1. Believing otherwise is giving in to self-delusion.

Studied with the American Association of Stage and Screen Combat Choreographers (4 years - 1998-2001 - no longer a ranking member)
Advanced Actor/Combatant with the Society of American Fight Directors (8 years - 2000-present) - specialty is armored combat in the Lichtenauer Tradition and MS I.33
Jousted with the Knights of the Golden Dawn, out of Mason, Ohio, USA (full-contact, non-breakaway late-period jousting, 1999-2001)
Currently hold the rank of Free Scholar with the Association of Renaissance Martial Artists
Ichidan in Eschin-ryu Iaijutsu with Sensei David Park (studied from 1997-1999)
Ichidan in Kendo with Sensei David Park (studied 1997-1999) (some of this was done in Kendo Bogu, some in period armor, mainly haramaki and domaru)
Studied Kenjutsu (not ranked) with Sensei David Park (1997-1999)
Nidan in Kodokan Judo with Sensei Henning Henriksen (studied from 1999-2004)
US Army, 2/485 Inf Rgt., 4th Training Brigade, (2004-2006) Qualified Sharpshooter (Hawkeye), M16a2, Qualified sharpshooter M9, Qualified Sharpshooter, M203, Qualified Expert M249
US Army, passed the MAC (Modern Army Combatives) Skill Level 3 course at Ft Benning in 2005 (in most organizations, there is one Lvl 3 per battalion)
Participate, but do not compete, with Team G-Force MMA in Cincinnati. Considering I'm 5'7" and 170lbs, I do pretty darn well.

My day job is a combat choreographer and stunt coordinator for film and stage. This requires the knowledge and employment of actual combat techniques, as well as how to modify them safely for the stage.

In short, I fight for a living, and my living revolves around fighting. How would you reasonably classify this?

Nostri
2007-11-06, 03:22 PM
@ WhiteHarness: I'm sorry you feel that we're all delusional in liking to imagine ourselves as something more then mundane if we were living in a pseudo-medieval, Tolkien-esque world. Escaping the mundane is why everyone I know plays the game, if that's not true for you I'm sorry because it's a wonderful way to escape from the pressures of life without relying on various mind altering (and generally illegal) substances. I'm fairly certain we all actually know we're only level 1 or 2 in reality (if such a thing were to be applied). Though I do have to disagree that everyone's a commmoner. I actually don't think commoner would be that common a class in most higher tech countries (most countries in Europe and both the ones in North America for example) because I don't know about you but I think compulsory primary and secondary school followed up by college or some sort of trade school would give you a fair number of ranks in skills that commoners just don't get. (mostly random and fairly useless knowledge skills). As for those of us say "well given my profession and interests I'd be a *insert PC class here* I don't think it's us being idiots but rather us enjoying the thought of being something more then desk jockeys and extremely poor college students.
[/rant]

Gerrtt
2007-11-06, 03:35 PM
Lesse...I'm a grad student training to get a masters degree in psychotherapy and faith...

Commoner 2 going on Expert 1.

I'm skilled a few common things and have demonstrated a basic knowledge high enough to get me a bachelors degree and I'm working on the first of my professional career degrees. Sounds good to me. I certainly don't think I'm skilled with weapons (other than something simple) or wearing armor either so that works, and I don't have any magic powers...that I am aware of.

In a fantasy world, however, I'd pick druid because I think the natural world is a fantastic, awesome thing which frequently I find a lack of good words to describe. So powerful, so destructive, so beautiful, so much potential for life. The balance, friends, that's where it's at. Nature rocks my face off.

WhiteHarness
2007-11-06, 03:41 PM
Studied with the American Association of Stage and Screen Combat Choreographers (4 years - 1998-2001 - no longer a ranking member)
Advanced Actor/Combatant with the Society of American Fight Directors (8 years - 2000-present) - specialty is armored combat in the Lichtenauer Tradition and MS I.33
Jousted with the Knights of the Golden Dawn, out of Mason, Ohio, USA (full-contact, non-breakaway late-period jousting, 1999-2001)
Currently hold the rank of Free Scholar with the Association of Renaissance Martial Artists
Ichidan in Kendo with Sensei David Park (studied 1997-1999) (some of this was done in Kendo Bogu, some in period armor, mainly haramaki and domaru)
US Army, 2/485 Inf Rgt., 4th Training Brigade, (2004-2006) Qualified Sharpshooter (Hawkeye), M16a2, Qualified sharpshooter M9, Qualified Sharpshooter, M203, Qualified Expert M249
US Army, passed the MAC (Modern Army Combatives) Skill Level 3 course at Ft Benning in 2005 (in most organizations, there is one Lvl 3 per battalion)
Participate, but do not compete, with Team G-Force MMA in Cincinnati. Considering I'm 5'7" and 170lbs, I do pretty darn well.

My day job is a combat choreographer and stunt coordinator for film and stage. This requires the knowledge and employment of actual combat techniques, as well as how to modify them safely for the stage.

In short, I fight for a living, and my living revolves around fighting. How would you reasonably classify this?

Warrior, level 1. :smallwink:

You'd make a far more interesting GURPS character, though.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-06, 03:49 PM
Let's see...

Nonsense.

*I* am a warrior, because I a thug, a flunky, a lacky, a rent-a-cop if you will for an evil, faceless megacorporation. Having only briefly served with the military, I do not feel I actually accumulated enough xp for bonus feats to actually be a "fighter".

When I was younger I was very heavily interested in the occult and studied more than a few rituals, rites and magical theories that I feel I can safely say, that, if magic actually existed, I would definately have my one level of cleric and one level of sorcerer. That being said, they are just useless levels, since magic doesn't work. (except when it does)

The level of rogue.. well, at some point I had Hide and Move Silent as class skills, because I am pretty good at it, and I am good at Sneak Attacking people.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-06, 03:51 PM

I would say mostly fighter with a level or two of bard.

Dausuul
2007-11-06, 03:52 PM

I disagree. IMO, the vast majority of posters on this board would be level 1-2 Experts--very few Commoners. We also seem to have a fair number of ex-military folks, who probably have at least one level of Warrior.

As for ability scores, statistically it is quite likely that we have some 17s and 18s kicking around. Remember, a roll of 3d6 will yield 18 on one out of 216 rolls, and we certainly have more than 216 people on the board. The idea that nobody here has above a 13 is preposterous.

Personally, what I am is an Expert 1 or 2. What I would be in a D&D setting is almost certainly Wizard.

Swordguy
2007-11-06, 03:53 PM
Warrior, level 1. :smallwink:

You'd make a far more interesting GURPS character, though.

Heh, funny. True dat.

Problem: Warrior 1 is insufficient to reflect what I can do simply on the basis of feats and consistent ability to hit a target (BAB).

At the very least, you're looking at light, medium, and heavy armor prof, shield prof, simple and martial weapon prof (not even counting the firearms!), exotic weapon prof (bastard sword - katana), mounted combat, 2-weapon fighting and arguably improved grapple (reflecting the judo and MMA).

The ability to consistently finish in the top 5% of shooting scores implies a higher BAB than that of a Warr1. If it was just once, you could reasonably say it was a lucky roll (or 40 lucky rolls, depending on how you'd handle the qualification). It's not just once though.

I'm curious. How would you resolve these issues?

(I hate these sort of conversations. I always feel like some "internet tough guy". I'm really, really trying not to come across as big-headed or anything.)

Telonius
2007-11-06, 03:54 PM
Let's see...

Nonsense.

So you're, what, Commoner 1?

Yeygresh
2007-11-06, 03:58 PM
Ardent/Factotum.

14Str 8Dex 16Con 14 Int 16 Wis 9Cha.
I'm a bit of a sofa philosopher(If I claim to be a wise man, though, it surely means that I don't know), and I know a little bit about everything.

Telonius
2007-11-06, 04:01 PM
Ardent/Factotum.

14Str 8Dex 16Con 14 Int 16 Wis 9Cha.
I'm a bit of a sofa philosopher(If I claim to be a wise man, though, it surely means that I don't know), and I know a little bit about everything.

Well, that's about a DC 15 Knowledge (Rock), so I'd say that's about right. :smallbiggrin:

Grynning
2007-11-06, 06:53 PM
The other thing to consider in this "are we commoners, or are we badasses" argument is that modern day Americans (or Europeans, or Asians, whatever) have significantly more education and life experience than a D&D commoner, due to modern "conveniences." Think about all the things an ordinary person today can do. Most of us can drive a car, use a computer with reasonable proficiency, a lot of us have some kind of athletic training and experience that would equate to skill ranks (a climber would have Climb, swimmers Swim, etc.) and those of us that have been to college (even without being able to get a real degree...like me :smallredface:) possess knowledge far beyond your average medieval subsistence farmer or tradesman. If any "D&D" class represents the average modern person, it's expert, and modern life offers reasonable opportunity for advancement in (non-magical) PC class levels...it's just that a lot of PC classes aren't really applicable in modern life, so we don't.

Tengu
2007-11-06, 07:07 PM
Psion. Innate intelligence-based powers that come from yourself, not from studying books for ages? Fits like a glove.

I am not willing to take part in the slightly off-topic discussion any more than saying that I completely disagree with WhiteHarness and I think his point is more than a bit spoilsporty. And that indeed, people with some sort of education are experts, not commoners, and if you're above 18 years you are probably level 2 or 3.

Temp
2007-11-06, 07:13 PM
You're all Commoners with maybe a few Experts thrown in, and in all likelihood, none of you has an ability score above 13, and the overwhelmingly vast majority of you are probably a solid level 1. Believing otherwise is giving in to self-delusion
...Because D&D actually models reality.

Talya
2007-11-06, 07:16 PM
Bard. Absolutely bard.

Nonah_Me
2007-11-06, 07:58 PM
I disagree. IMO, the vast majority of posters on this board would be level 1-2 Experts--very few Commoners. We also seem to have a fair number of ex-military folks, who probably have at least one level of Warrior.

As for ability scores, statistically it is quite likely that we have some 17s and 18s kicking around. Remember, a roll of 3d6 will yield 18 on one out of 216 rolls, and we certainly have more than 216 people on the board. The idea that nobody here has above a 13 is preposterous.

Personally, what I am is an Expert 1 or 2. What I would be in a D&D setting is almost certainly Wizard.

I like to think that anyone who can communicate on the Intarwebs in complete sentances, with punctuation, and uses words such as 'preposterous' have at LEAST a 14 Int.

As to class, a freind told me I'd likely be a Tough Hero from D20 Modern. I have a few extra pounds but I can take a hit and don't seem to get sick. (Now I've jinxed myself, I'm going to get filth fever or mummy rot or something.)

Edit: Sigh, I just proved I have less than a 14 Int.

Moff Chumley
2007-11-06, 07:59 PM
Bard/Monk. Yay. :smallannoyed:

AslanCross
2007-11-06, 08:20 PM
Not fit enough to be a paladin, so I'd probably be a cleric. One of those ability score tests put my wisdom at 16, so I guess that would be ok. Might have one or two levels in Bard, just for enjoying storytelling. Whether other people enjoy my stories is still in question.

Yeygresh
2007-11-06, 08:23 PM
Well, that's about a DC 15 Knowledge (Rock), so I'd say that's about right. :smallbiggrin:

At first, I thought you were saying that I was dumb as a rock. *facepalm*

I agree with Dausuul, a 'Commoner' is typically a goat herder; whereas an 'Expert' is someone who is knowledgeable on a subject. Really, anyone who has a GED or High-School diploma has a level in Expert when you look at what is considered standard knowledge in Greyhawk.

Talyn
2007-11-06, 08:29 PM
In the d20 Modern, I'd definitely qualify as an "ordinary smart" hero (college grad, so level two-ish) with the "Military" career. In D&D terms, since I've got light and medium armor proficiency and can use at least some martial weapons (firearms, not swords), I'd probably be Expert1/Warrior1.

If I was a main character, though... ah, that would be nice. Probably a Marshal who really, really wants to become a Paladin.

ForzaFiori
2007-11-06, 08:47 PM
lets see, i have up to lv 3 monk abilities (give or take the fast movement. I'm fairly fast, but not extremely), with improved grapple and combat reflexes as bonus feets. The feats i most like have are endurance (i run CC, you have to have it), two weapon fighting (use a bo staff long enough you pick it up), improved unarmed strike (from 10 years of martial arts training, which is also where i picked up the monk stuff), and weapon finesse (i tend to be able to hit specific spots (pressure points, joints, etc) rather than just hit hard). That puts me pretty solidly at a lv 3 monk. as for abilities, idk where this test y'all talk about is (though if someone would tell me, i'd like to take it), but i'd guess at around an 11-12 Str, 13-14 Dex, 10-11 Con, 15-16 Int, 9-10 Wis, and a 12-13 Cha. thats just best guess though. I'm fairly agile and nimble, stronger than average but not hugely strong, i'm a member of mensa w/ an iq of around 150, not the best with common sense, and i'm fairly good looking and personable. Con is about average, i dont get sick much, but i also get injured alot.

goat
2007-11-06, 08:50 PM
Thinking about me NOW...

Level 1 Expert. Murky eyed & slow flaws, stout & absent minded traits.
I would have skills in... erm... pfft. Not a lot really applies. I can't really take profession, I'm still a student and I've never held a full time job. I suppose I'd have knowledges. There's 10 of them, so I'd probably have maxed one or two and split the rest of my points semi-evenly over the rest. Maybe some points in disable device, a couple in forgery. Featswise, Iron WIll, a skill focus or two, nothing much else would fit.

It's quite hard to be a computational physics student in standard D&D, bit easier in D20-modern.

In D&D proper?
Research wizard. You fools can go off and spend your time saving the world and killing dragons. I'll be sat in my nice, climate controlled tower, designing a spell that makes the enemy's armour turn into golf clubs and a Pringle tank-top.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-06, 08:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that I'm impossible if we're going by D&D standards seeing as I'm probably a bard and a paladin. Idealistic, amiable, cooperative, a jack of all trades, and draws on own spiritual reserves for strength. However, that'd make me Chaotically Lawful Good.

Reptilius
2007-11-06, 09:01 PM
I'd be a expert, going into the Bardic Sage variant from UA. I can play the horn fairly well, and somehow know almost anything about everything.

Stormcrow
2007-11-06, 09:27 PM
Despite all attempts otherwise...
The Berserker class from Deities and Demigods, with all the religious hoohaa to go along with it. Specialising in longblades and cestus... regretfully rage driven.

Alex12
2007-11-06, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that I'm impossible if we're going by D&D standards seeing as I'm probably a bard and a paladin. Idealistic, amiable, cooperative, a jack of all trades, and draws on own spiritual reserves for strength. However, that'd make me Chaotically Lawful Good.

Sounds like you're more a Neutral Good Factotum to me.

MCerberus
2007-11-06, 10:07 PM
CN Wizard... although some people have claimed I'm CG.

Doresain
2007-11-06, 10:09 PM
according to everyone i know that games, i am a NE bard

monty
2007-11-06, 10:16 PM

Bard/Paladin of Freedom maybe?

Also, according to a test I took, I have:
Str 11
Int 17
Wis 16
Dex 12
Con 11
Chr 11
(I don't see this as too unusual, 10 being "average" makes me slightly above average in all stats except Intelligence and Wisdom, and people who know me could probably vouch for those high scores)

Due to my math/science studies, I'd put myself as a level 1-2 expert despite still being in high school. I might go for a level or two of bard instead of or in addition to the expert levels (but probably no more than two levels total), with my music background (although apparently some people find that objectionable). My relatively low Cha would make that bad in a campaign, but we're not min/maxing here, so what do I care?

MisterSaturnine
2007-11-06, 11:20 PM
Definitely a Bard who dabbles in a few Perform skills (Act, Sing, Piano...hopefully guitar one of these days). Pretty good Charisma and OK Intelligence, probably with 8 Wisdom and 8 Str. I'm more than a little absent-minded and not great at observing things (that are physically there. Like, where I am in terms of direction).

Plus, I have a flair for the dramatic, so illusions and things would REALLY fit me. I already like to mess with people's heads, challenge their perception of reality, etc. :smallwink:

WhiteHarness
2007-11-07, 12:11 AM
Unless you adventure for a living, you do not belong to a PC class. You're all low-level NPCs. Accept it and be happy. Going around claiming that

...i have up to lv 3 monk abilities...

is puerile and ludicrous. There are no D&D Monks in reality, just like there are no Wizards, Sorcerers, or Orcs.

...modern day Americans (or Europeans, or Asians, whatever) have significantly more education and life experience than a D&D commoner, due to modern "conveniences." Think about all the things an ordinary person today can do....possess knowledge far beyond your average medieval subsistence farmer or tradesman.

...and think about all the things an ordinary person could do in the middle ages. Can you plow a field with a team of horses or oxen? Can you make a barrel like a journeyman cooper? Can you shoe a horse like a village blacksmith? Don't sell your premodern ancestors short, or build yourself up at their expense. Ancient and medieval people were no less capable than you at getting along in their own day-to-day environment. If you suddenly found yourself in their age, they'd probably think you were uneducated for your lack of what they'd consider everyday knowledge.

Setra
2007-11-07, 12:17 AM
Well my current interests are Law and Technology.. so.. um..

... er.. I dunno, a... um.. ... ... a Paladin with a lightsaber?

MisterSaturnine
2007-11-07, 12:17 AM
Unless you adventure for a living, you do not belong to a PC class. You're all low-level NPCs. Accept it and be happy. Going around claiming that

is puerile and ludicrous. There are no D&D Monks in reality, just like there are no Wizards, Sorcerers, or Orcs.

...and think about all the things an ordinary person could do in the middle ages. Can you plow a field with a team of horses or oxen? Can you make a barrel like a journeyman cooper? Can you shoe a horse like a village blacksmith? Don't sell your premodern ancestors short, or build yourself up at their expense. Ancient and medieval people were no less capable than you at getting along in their own day-to-day environment. If you suddenly found yourself in their age, they'd probably think you were uneducated for your lack of what they'd consider everyday knowledge.

Chill, man. We're all children of the universe. *hands you a flower* Just feel the love. It's everywhere, man. Just this...pulsating aura...

*cough* Right, then.

I'm sure we all know that we'd be NPC classes, yes. I probably wouldn't even be an expert. But if I'm not mistaken, the question isn't only what we would be realistically, but what suits us. Take my answer, for example. I said I'd be a Bard.

This is because, I think it's safe to say, Bards perform. A lot. I also perform. A lot. Do I cast spells? No (or at least that's what I WANT you to think). But my personality/talents are similar to that of a Bard--I'm a dabbler (a few ranks in a bunch of skills), with a lot of focus on performing, and if I were to know spells, they'd mostly be Illusion and Enchantment.

EDIT: Awesome! I'm a Dwarf now! :smallbiggrin:

monty
2007-11-07, 12:20 AM
Unless you adventure for a living, you do not belong to a PC class. You're all low-level NPCs. Accept it and be happy.

I think you haven't really got the spirit of this thread. It seems to be not so much "if you suddenly appeared in a D&D campaign, what would you be?" as "what class do you most identify with?" We're not necessarily trying to be totally realistic here. Also, the OP said "character class," implying a class that a character would take. While a character could still take NPC classes, this qualification also includes PC classes, despite the fact that most of them are impossible in real life. If you can't have fun with this thread, why are you posting in it?

Temp
2007-11-07, 12:36 AM
...and think about all the things an ordinary person could do in the middle ages. Can you plow a field with a team of horses or oxen? Can you make a barrel like a journeyman cooper? Can you shoe a horse like a village blacksmith? Don't sell your premodern ancestors short, or build yourself up at their expense. Ancient and medieval people were no less capable than you at getting along in their own day-to-day environment. If you suddenly found yourself in their age, they'd probably think you were uneducated for your lack of what they'd consider everyday knowledge. You realize that D&D has nothing to do with reality in any time period, right?

Since either way--claiming to belong to PC classes or NPC classes--reality is being contorted to match a game, I don't see why there's a problem for these people to relate to the aspects of the game that they enjoy.

[edit:]
...And to actually take part in this thread:

Str: Middling, high ranks in Jump and Climb. 10-11.
Dex: Low. Very Low. Defining-Character-trait low. 4-5.
Con: Marathon-running+Mighty Viking Immune System= 16-18.
Int: There are no numbers large enough to express the sheer enormity of my intellect.
Wis: From the sensory aspect of the Wisdom score, very low; my eyes are shot and amplifiers have torn my eardrums to smithereens*. As far as will-power, very high. Together: 10ish.
Cha: Rather low with high ranks in related skills: I'm not naturally outgoing or "present," but I can usually give those impressions. Also, I'd have some competence in Perform skills--I'm a fair actor/cellist and a rather staggeringly incredible violinist/guitarist/bassist/singer. 8.

Alignment: True Neutral? Yeah, that sounds good... True Neutral it is.

*Smithereens, I tells you!

TheDarkOne
2007-11-07, 01:44 AM
A multi class of the "Physics Student" class and the "Engineering Student" class with levels in the "Grad Student" prestige class.

...so... Expert I guess.

WhiteHarness
2007-11-07, 02:22 AM
I just interpreted the portion of the OP's question that read "...based on your profession and interests.." to mean that he was wanting answers based in realism, which unfortunately does not seem to have been the case. He seems to have been re-hashing the same question that's been asked a hundred times on this forum: "What D&D class would you want to be?" rather than "what do you really think you are in D&D terms?"

Temp
2007-11-07, 02:42 AM
answers based in realism, which unfortunately does not seem to have been the case.I'd put money down to say that the majority of these posters could trounce a house-cat in a fight. Without any equipment. Therefore, they clearly couldn't be low-level commoners or experts.

The game does little to mirror real life, so all answers are effectively equally [un]realistic.

WrathOfLife
2007-11-07, 02:48 AM
Unless you adventure for a living, you do not belong to a PC class. You're all low-level NPCs. Accept it and be happy.

Huh, I dunno what real life your playing, but in mine I get most of my Experence from RP, (you can level up 3 or 4 times if you play yourself really well ya know). I mean, I hardly think the smartest people in the world got so smart by going around beating people up. But that seems to be what your trying to say...

Either way, I'm probably a Rogue. Not for the backstabbyness but for the skills and average BAB.

I'm a security guard and Rescuer in the State Emergance Service.

Xefas
2007-11-07, 02:53 AM
Clearly, I have levels in the Balor Savage Progression Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31160), because I am, in fact, a Balor.

Sonofaspectre
2007-11-07, 03:10 AM
I am most definently a bard. Big, fat, loveable teddy bear Bard. With lots of Bluff, Diplomacy, and Perform (monologue) and Perform (poetry). Man, I feel like posting my poetry here and now!

::looks around:: Where's deviantart?

Lyinginbedmon
2007-11-07, 03:33 AM
Expert 7/Ninja 6/Monk 5/Shadowdancer 2
Yup, despite my love of spellcasters, I am in fact a Rogue at heart :smallwink:

Skyserpent
2007-11-07, 03:43 AM
I'm a fresh level 2 Factotum methinks, I can jack most if not all trades, I'm multilingual, can cook, and know the basics of fighting. I can actually pick a lock and I'm no slouch at bluff and diplomacy.

Tengu
2007-11-07, 08:48 AM
I just interpreted the portion of the OP's question that read "...based on your profession and interests.." to mean that he was wanting answers based in realism, which unfortunately does not seem to have been the case. He seems to have been re-hashing the same question that's been asked a hundred times on this forum: "What D&D class would you want to be?" rather than "what do you really think you are in D&D terms?"

I believe that the spirit of the thread is "based on your current profession or interests, and assuming that you'd get a power-up to a typical DND PC level, what do you think your character class would be?" - because really, a thread where everyone is a level 1-3 Expert is no fun. If we want to stat out ourselves as we are, not as we would be in a fantasy game, and you really want d20 for that, I suggest d20 modern.

Look what you've done. You made me respond, despite my initial intentions. Ah well.

Dausuul
2007-11-07, 08:48 AM
I'd put money down to say that the majority of these posters could trounce a house-cat in a fight. Without any equipment. Therefore, they clearly couldn't be low-level commoners or experts.

The game does little to mirror real life, so all answers are effectively equally [un]realistic.

Hmm, let's see.

A typical 1st-level expert has d6 Hit Die and no BAB. Since, as WhiteHarness has been at pains to remind us, we are not player characters, we don't get max hit points at first level. With average Strength and Dex, we get 3 hit points, AC 10 and +0 to hit, for 1d3 nonlethal damage; versus the house cat with 2 hit points, AC 14 and +4 to hit, for a consistent 1 lethal damage.

The expert has a 35% chance to hit, for an average damage output of 0.7 nonlethal. The cat, conversely, has a 75% chance to hit, for an average damage output of 0.75 lethal. The expert's superior hit points are just enough to tip the scales... but it's a close fight. A commoner would lose.

Yeah, not too realistic there.

Alex12
2007-11-07, 09:02 AM
Considering that the OP mentions Bard, not an NPC class, I think the intent was "what D&D PC class do yo most resemble, given your abilities, profession, and interests?"

Leicontis
2007-11-07, 12:55 PM
While I'd like to get some Bard levels (access to most of the spells I'd want, as a spontaneous caster, plus a major improvement in my saxophone skills), I'm too Lawful to qualify. Given my current skills, I'd say maybe Monk2/Expert(?). I know I don't have my third Monk level, because I can't run very fast. I might have a level of Rogue or something similar, for the skill points and the fact that my martial arts training has given me something akin to sneak attack. I'm not a ninja yet, however, as I have yet to study ninjutsu (anybody know of a ninjutsu school in the Boston area?).

ChocolateChtulu
2007-11-07, 02:37 PM
In real life, I am probably an Expert 1 too - maybe Expert 2, if the DM is being really generous with XP.

In a DnD world, I'd like to be a psion: shaping the world through sheer willpower... well, that would be far too cool for words.

If psionics were not allowed, I'd probably be a cloistered cleric of a cause, or possibly one of the weird magic classes like truenamer or artificer - but I am not sure I would have enough practical spirit for the latter.

And since someone else already did it, these are my guesses for my stats:

STR: On the lower end of average. 9 or 10.
DEX: I am the clumsiest person I know. 6 is a good guess, I think.
CON: Pretty good, all things considered. 11.
INT: Good, but not overwhelmingly so. 12 or 13, probably.
WIS: I am generally considered very level-head, I have decent will saves, and I am told I am usually quite perceptive. 13, maybe even 14.
CHA: kind of low, but people do not flee in my presence yet. 8.

Yes, I know, in a game I'd ask for rerolling at least the 6... but I cannot, so I'm just have to keep looking for stat-raising equipment :smallwink:

tainsouvra
2007-11-07, 03:10 PM
I just interpreted the portion of the OP's question that read "...based on your profession and interests.." to mean that he was wanting answers based in realism, which unfortunately does not seem to have been the case. He seems to have been re-hashing the same question that's been asked a hundred times on this forum: "What D&D class would you want to be?" rather than "what do you really think you are in D&D terms?" Pretty much, yeah, that's what it is. You'd have known that sooner if you had paid attention to the people who pointed out how that quoted sentence ended or if you had bothered to take more than a sentence fragment out of the OP.

If you're done being a spoilsport who missed the point, now, we'd like to get on with our rehashing the same old question, please. Our parade is sufficiently rained on, your mission is accomplished.
I think the intent was "what D&D PC class do yo most resemble, given your abilities, profession, and interests?" Being as that was the correct English interpretation of the OP, and it makes for a thread with more than one post in it, I'd say that's definitely correct.

Draz74
2007-11-07, 03:34 PM

In fairness, both questions have been on this Forum a hundred times. And ambiguous threads like this one that are interpreted both ways are even more common. :smalltongue:

By the way, a few thoughts for those like WhiteHarness who are trying to see these things "realistically":

- as someone else argued well, the notion that no one here has a score above 13 is patently ludicrous. It's pretty much guaranteed that we have a few 18's, in fact.

- I actually think the most common class in 1st-world countries would be Aristocrat. A large portion of our society is effectively aristocratically privileged compared with a medieval society.

- What about those of us that truly and level-headedly believe that supernatural things exist in real life? Without going into too much detail, I've seen religious occurrences that can't be modeled in D&D terms without having a spellcaster class involved. (Of course, here I'm starting to run into the problem that D&D doesn't model reality well anyway ...) My own experiences aside, there's probably grains of truth (however small) in the center of the stories you hear of eastern monastic people who can levitate while meditating, or Voodoo witch-doctors in Jamaica who can curse people.

- How common are characters above Level 1 in the non-adventuring community? Answer: depends entirely on the campaign setting. Saying that most people here are Level 1, and nobody is above Level 3, is making a lot of assumptions about our campaign world. I'm not even talking about FR; settings like the OotS-verse or my own homebrew setting have a fair amount of non-adventurers in the 3-5 Level range.

- I could even see a few people who visit these boards being PC classes (Rogue or Fighter). Or at least multiclass into these classes. Swordguy could be a Warrior/Fighter or Aristocrat/Fighter or something.

WhiteHarness
2007-11-07, 04:42 PM
as someone else argued well, the notion that no one here has a score above 13 is patently ludicrous. It's pretty much guaranteed that we have a few 18's, in fact.

What makes you think so?

Somehow, I don't think "real life" features 3d6 ability score generation. I think we'd be more of an ultra low-powered point buy campaign--like 10 points or so. 18s in ability scores represent the capabilities of top-notch Olympic-level athletes and cutting-edge scientists. I doubt anyone who frequents this forum has anything near an 18 in any ability score, and I doubt anyone here even knows anyone with such a score. Cast aside visions of epic grandeur; 18s are rare.

ForzaFiori
2007-11-07, 05:32 PM

actually, no.

the abilities mentioned are all possible in this world. a flurry (which is not that hard to learn to do, its simply getting your arms to react faster, which most people learn in 1 year of martial arts or less), unarmed strike (once again, every martial artist ever has this.), fast movement (this is probably the hardest to really get, and i mentioned that i most likely did not have this), still mind (anyone who has ever practiced meditation knows this is possible. I can still my mind fairly easily.) evasion (wow, i have better reflex's than usual. got that too. get punches thrown at you for long enough you'll get 'em too.) and bonus feats. (grapple is an easy bonus feat, any wrestler has it. Stunning Fist is essentially a hit to the pressure points, which you learn to do. Combat relfex's are improving your reaction time, and ability to process info. Sparring gets this up very fast. the only that you couldn't get is deflect arrows, which i never mentioned.)

saying there are no monks (a class that (at least up to 3rd level) is based entirely on possible effects), just b/c there are no wizards, sorcerers, or orcs (all things based completely in fantasy) is what is puerile and ludicrous.

ForzaFiori
2007-11-07, 05:33 PM
What makes you think so?

Somehow, I don't think "real life" features 3d6 ability score generation. I think we'd be more of an ultra low-powered point buy campaign--like 10 points or so. 18s in ability scores represent the capabilities of top-notch Olympic-level athletes and cutting-edge scientists. I doubt anyone who frequents this forum has anything near an 18 in any ability score, and I doubt anyone here even knows anyone with such a score. Cast aside visions of epic grandeur; 18s are rare.

go to a MENSA gathering. you'll meet plenty of people who would have an 18 INT. in fact, everyone there will have an INT score in the top 2% possible.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-11-07, 05:59 PM
I think that in order to get into MENSA you need at least 13 Int

monty
2007-11-07, 07:37 PM
- How common are characters above Level 1 in the non-adventuring community? Answer: depends entirely on the campaign setting. Saying that most people here are Level 1, and nobody is above Level 3, is making a lot of assumptions about our campaign world. I'm not even talking about FR; settings like the OotS-verse or my own homebrew setting have a fair amount of non-adventurers in the 3-5 Level range.

I remember Shojo saying he was "14th level Aristocrat," so it's not at all unreasonable for at least a few people on this forum to be above third level.

EDIT:

18s in ability scores represent the capabilities of top-notch Olympic-level athletes and cutting-edge scientists. I doubt anyone who frequents this forum has anything near an 18 in any ability score, and I doubt anyone here even knows anyone with such a score. Cast aside visions of epic grandeur; 18s are rare.
18's don't necessarily represent current ability so much as potential. After all, 18 Int doesn't give you piles of bonus skill points all at once; you get a few every level. A star high school athlete could conceivably have 18 strength without necessarily being Olympic quality; the school's top geek could quite easily have 18 intelligence without being a world-renowned scientist.

#Raptor
2007-11-07, 09:09 PM
Interresting question.

I'll be unrealistic and assume im lvl 3-5... then i'd be a :
Barbarian 1/Fighter 1-2/Ranger 1-2

Lets see.. im a fairly fast runner (fast movement from barb), im somewhat competent at combat with 2 light weapons (dagger/shortsword from fighter or ranger), i can get fairly pissed sometimes, wich pretty much always improves my otherwise rather lowly dedication (rage from barb, with the +2 will save and stuff..), i like nature and seem to have a natural understanding with at least some, if not most animals (wild empathy from ranger). Also, i like to eat food with my bare hands (certainly thats a barbarian trait :smallsmile: ).
Thinking about it, maybe i wouldn't have any fighter levels at all. :smallconfused:

Stats:
Str 13-14 (definitively above average, thanks to regular training, thought im certainly not the hulk. ;) )
Dex 9-10 (im kinda clumsy sometimes, thought i'm almost ambidextrous)
Con 10-11 (never broke a bone or seriously dislocated anything in 23 years, i won't be knocked out easily, but i've got the flu way too often, and my endurance is pretty much average)
Int 13-14 (I'm a rather fast learner, and pretty smart overall)
Wis 7-8 (my willsave sucks hard, as well as my listen skill... thought i seem to have put alot of points in spot)
Cha 10-11 (nothing special to report here, maybe just slightly above average)

Skills:
Some points in: swim, climb, survival, knowledge (nature), knowledge (geography), knowledge (history), Gather Information (me + google = the win! Ok, now its getting ludicrous.. :smallbiggrin: ), craft, handle animal
Alot of points in: jump, spot.

Flaws: Definitely something that makes my will save suck even more. Blargh.

Feats: Uh. Weapon focus (club, shortsword, dagger) maybe? Those fighter levels gotta be useful for something, eh? Also, Improved unarmed strike.

Alignment: neutral or neutral good. Some chaotic traits and some lawful traits so it balances out, thought lately im drifting more towards chaotic. Most likely once used to be LG. Trying to be a good person, but i'm probably not dedicated enough to really count as NG. Certainly not TN though, as i don't give a hoot about any kinda evil-good balance.

Barbarian. Fits me like a very expesive flipflop. Or whatever Lara Croft was, except unreasonably endowed, I mean come on! How on earth could she jump about when her breasts were larger then her head!

Nice to know i wouldn't the only one with barbarian levels here.

Regarding lara croft... maybe she got a dip in rogue, for evade. :smallbiggrin: (...i guess i just failed my will save against compulsion (Irresistible tasteless joke) :smallamused: ).

Temp
2007-11-08, 02:23 AM
Somehow, I don't think "real life" features 3d6 ability score generation. I think we'd be more of an ultra low-powered point buy campaign--like 10 points or so. 18s in ability scores represent the capabilities of top-notch Olympic-level athletes and cutting-edge scientists. I doubt anyone who frequents this forum has anything near an 18 in any ability score, and I doubt anyone here even knows anyone with such a score. Cast aside visions of epic grandeur; 18s are rare.How are you still arguing this? "Real life" does not have ability score generation. Find the smartest person in a crowd of 216. That person has an 18 Int for all our purposes.
Find the most observant in a crowd of 216. That person has an 18 Wis for all our purposes.
Find the strongest, the toughest, the most nimble and the most "present" for the other abilities.

Ossian
2007-11-08, 05:42 AM
I don't think 3d6 can really mirror our range of experiences, how we approach and deal with daily life, what we learn and how we do it. 3d6, d20, 20 levels cap and skills/feats were originally designed for a magic-medieval-heroic setting. Even if then they made it more flexible to mirror SCI-FI, star wars, modern times and all the rest, it's still sort ill-fitting. I second Temp's stance on this.
This thread could have more sense if it were something like "if you, as you are now sitting before your PC could instant teleport to Faerun/Krynn/Mystara/Greyhawk/Zamora, and develop your skills, knowledge and expertise, but also aspirations and inclinations, talents and wishes, to match with the setting, what class/level/stats would you have?". It's just like everyone's secret daydream, and the reason why most of us started playing at 14. If you made a RPG out of "grey's anatomy" (thus earing a 1st row seat in the sulphiric pits of the roleplayers' hell), you'd have a number of base classes like doctor, nurse, janitor, and PrC like Surgeon, Spinal Surgeon, Administrator, Flirty hot female surgeon and so on. Feats like "Diagnose" and "Improved Hygene Procedures". Get all those guys in D&D, and even Dr. Gregory House M.D. is just a 4th level "expert" with high INT, WIS, no CHA whatsoever and -4 to DEX.

LOST? Wow....what can they possibly be? In D&D maybe just 2nd or 3rd level PCs, Sawyer is a Scoundrel, Jack is a Healer, Locke is...God knows...

Other systems probably match what we in the XXI century do and learn everyday. Cyberpunk's D10 was ok for that matter.

My wishful thinking? I'd probably be a bard (around 3rd or 4th level). I have decent leadership skills, get along well, love to travel, learn and tell stories, I understand people fairly well, have basic martial arts training and love swordplay and the charm of magic + I'm a bit reckless and rely a lot on instincts. So, yeah, a 3rd level Bard with above average CHA and WIS would be ok, good CON and STR and medium DEX and INT.

Ossian (the bard of the Fianna, now that I remember...)

EDIT: that is, a "starting" me as PC. If I apeared in Faerun, I'd probably meet someone in a tavern one night, go clean up a dungeon, and then start a long campaign. What would I be at the END of that? Who knows...some of us are made with the fabric of heroes, and some others are not. Just like Butch in (bruce willis in pulp fiction).

The thing is, Butch, right now you got ability. But painful as it may be, ability don't last. And your days are just about over. Now that's a hard mot*******in' fact of life, but that's a fact of life your a** is gonna have to get realistic about. See, this business is filled to the brim with unrealistic mo********ers. Mo********ers who thought their a** would age like wine. If you mean it turns to vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age, it don't. Besides, Butch, how many fights do you think you got in you anyhow? Two? Boxers don't have an Old Timers Place. You came close but you never made it. And if you were gonna make it, you would have made it before now. You're mine, dig?

Pironious
2007-11-08, 06:15 AM
Gregory House M.D. is just a 4th level "expert" with high INT, WIS, no CHA whatsoever and -4 to DEX.

Objection!

House has excellent CHA as proven by his ability to lead his team and his undeniable presence. When he's around, people know he's the one in charge. Charisma does not equal nice, or polite. Charisma is about presence.

Ossian
2007-11-08, 06:23 AM
Objection!

House has excellent CHA as proven by his ability to lead his team and his undeniable presence. When he's around, people know he's the one in charge. Charisma does not equal nice, or polite. Charisma is about presence.

LOL, well, maybe you are right. I gave him ow CHA since he's always arguing with patients, has no empathy, the director always reprimends him and has to impose decisions on him, and whatever he does, as bright and genius like as it maybe, rarely meets immediate approval. Still, the other DRs around have to bow to his Ultra Skill Mastery and life saving record, and know better than to screw a diagnose only because they'd love to cripple his good leg too with a monkey wrench. If he was a bit less bright and more charismatic, he'd be directing the clinic. But he does not care about leadership, and won't bother getting the spotlight, going all team-effort or paying too much attention to what other people say (although he does thinks of them as friends, sometimes....).

I still have to give him ultra ranks in Sense Motive, since he seems to read other people's minds judging from body language, pauses, inflections, where they look when they talk and what they omit to say.

Besides, not only high CHA people have friends. You can be friend with someone, and respect them, even if inside you think that, character-wise, they're a bit a-h-les ;) Gotta love your friends for what they are! :smallcool:

O.

ForzaFiori
2007-11-08, 06:45 AM
I think that in order to get into MENSA you need at least 13 Int

true, but that doesn't mean that everyone there has a 13. when i went to the RG around here, i met 3 actual rocket scientists. that merits a pretty dang big INT.

shadow_archmagi
2007-11-08, 06:59 AM
Hmmm.. My int and wis are fairly high, charisma isn't bad either..

The rest of my stats fail though. Therefore, I'm best suited to Wizard, or Priest. Probably wizard.. I'm a fairly good author in my own opinion, so I can put that towards writing spells... right?

Tengu
2007-11-08, 07:05 AM
Other systems probably match what we in the XXI century do and learn everyday. Cyberpunk's D10 was ok for that matter.

That is not possible. Cyberpunk 2020 is not ok for anything. It's not even poor for anything. The world is quite decent, but the mechanics alone make it the worst real RPG I have ever seen (FATAL or Spawn of Fashan are nor real RPGs, they are plagues).

Dausuul
2007-11-08, 08:46 AM
What makes you think so?

Somehow, I don't think "real life" features 3d6 ability score generation. ... 18s in ability scores represent the capabilities of top-notch Olympic-level athletes and cutting-edge scientists. I doubt anyone who frequents this forum has anything near an 18 in any ability score, and I doubt anyone here even knows anyone with such a score.

Somehow, I don't think "real life" features ability scores, period. The six-stat model is a very crude effort to approximate the multitude of talents, traits, strengths, and weaknesses that make up a real person. To suppose that all people who have manual dexterity are also agile and light on their feet--or that all people who have strong intuition and willpower are also keenly observant--or that all people who are resistant to disease are also tough to kill with a sword--none of this is even remotely true.

Ability scores are an approximation, nothing more. It is perfectly reasonable to argue that an 18 represents the top 1/216th of the population, and the cutting-edge scientists and Olympic athletes are simply the top one-hundredth of a percent of the millions of people who have 18s. If you want a game-mechanical embodiment of that advantage, that's what skill-boosting feats are for.

I think we'd be more of an ultra low-powered point buy campaign--like 10 points or so.

We are most decidedly not living in a point-buy world, still less one with only 10 points! If that were true, anyone who was strong, healthy, and agile would also be unobservant, unattractive, or dumb as a brick, which is patently not the case. Point buy is for balanced gaming, not realism. Realism would demand rolling for stats; and since 3d6 is the least generous method of stat rolling, it stands to reason that 18s show up at least one time in 216.

Cast aside visions of epic grandeur; 18s are rare.

Cast aside the attitude; 18s are common.

PnP Fan
2007-11-08, 08:55 AM
Hmm. . .
IRL I'm an engineer (not an actual rocket scientist, but not far from it), a regular churchgoer (bible study 2x a week, service 1x/week), and I've been practicing martial arts for 8 years, teaching professionally for about 2 (not a McDojo), and I can do a fair job at entertaining a crowd (Perform: comedy), oh yeah and I've done time in the military. I would like to think that gives me some skills in leadership, but truthfully, it just gave me a different perspective on life, and some management skills.

I'll propose that engineer translates to artificer or wizard, take your pick.

So I guess that makes me Multiclass Man (Artificer/cleric/monk/bard)!!!!
:-)

I think, were I reborn into a fantasy setting I'd wind up as any of the following combos:
wiz/monk
cleric/monk
paladin/monk

Basically a mix of mental effort and physical effort.

My stats (don't have a test.. .)
STR: Above average, but not really high, 12-ish
DEX: Above average (I juggle too!), 13-14
CON: Not so good. I don't get sick often, but I"m chubby. While I don't get muscle tired very often, my cardio needs some work, so probably 8-9 ish.
INT: 14-15 ish (Aerospace engineer, working on helicopter design with some background in software development, but I'm hardly the smartest guy in the building)
WIS: 11 ish, though I'm usually a good judge of character.
CHA: 12-13, meh. .. . what can I say, people like me. I don't know why, but people do! Makes me happy. :-) I'm also pretty good as settling down ruffled feathers, and helping others navigate awkward social situations, but I'm hardly the guy with a date every weekend with a different girl.

BlackOpal12
2007-11-08, 09:31 AM
In D&D terms, I'd most likely be best suited for priest or factotum. My bachelor's degree is in theology, hence the priesthood... but I'm personally an atheist.

WAIT!

I'M AN UR-PRIEST!

<ducks the inevitable hail of rotten fruit>:smallbiggrin:

loopy
2007-11-10, 09:57 AM
I'd probably be either a level 2 rogue or a level 2 rogue/commoner. If I was high enough level I'd be a fortune's friend, since my mates are constantly commenting about how things tend to fall into my lap.

Alignment tending toward the true neutral side of chaotic neutral. If you think about it, most people aren't "good" like they think they are, because "good", in the D&D definition, implies going out of your way to improve the world (yes, I know, don't call me on wording, but still)... I mean, I'm a youth leader and I still wouldn't put myself as 'good'. I started for purely selfish reasons.

Stat breakdown:
Str: 7 I'm pitifully weak unfortunately, just unable to gain muscle mass.
Dex: 12 Quick on my feet, nimble with my fingers. Can't catch worth a damn.
Con: 14 I don't get sick. I also have a high tolerance for alcohol.
Int: 14 High IQ, can work out most mathematical problems in my head but:
Wis: 8 can't apply myself. No work ethic. Also have lousy hearing.
Cha: 12 not the best looking man in the world, but I do alright. I know everyone, and no one has caught me in a lie in a long time.

Skill breakdown:
Bluff: Maxxed, my parents believed that I was studying for two years. Neg.
Sleight of Hand: Maxxed, I've... stolen a thing or two in my time. From the inside of peoples coats.
Move Silently: Maxxed, I'm quiet as a mouse when I want to be.
Hide: It'd probably help if I didn't wear such brightly colored clothing.
Open Lock/Disable Device: Before I gave up my life of crime, I'd already learned to open simple locks and get past car disabling devices.
Knowledge(Everything): I know a little about everything, thanks to extensive reading.

Drascin
2007-11-10, 10:42 AM
If I suddenly appeared in a D&D world... I'd probably be an Expert 2. However, the first thing I'd do after getting information on the world, is try to find a psion master that would accept apprentices. The whole "mind over matter" and getting power from their innermost conscience appeals to me very much. Hell, the other day one of my friends gave me a pendant with a symbol that pretty much means "Supremacy of the Mind" because she said it was so very appropiate for me.

That, or Archivist. Learning things you weren't meant to know is always fun, and my compulsive need for discovering the reason for everything would make a neat motivator.

About my Stats...

STR: 7-8. Let's be honest - I suck at physical tasks.
DEX: 6. Unable to catch anything for the sake of my life, clumsy, and awkward.
CON: 13. Despite my unfitness, I seem to be surprisingly resistant. I have yet to fall really ill.
INT: 13. Not a genius, but a bit avobe average.
WIS: 14. The ability to actually foresee the consequences of people's actions and generally have common sense is right now kind of a running gag for me - "nah, don't mind me, after all, I have only been right 90% of the previous times!" :smalltongue: .
CHA X: ...How little charisma is necessary for people to actually feel uncomfortable around you, for dogs to want to bite you, and the like? :smallredface: