PDA

View Full Version : AT Rogue/Battlemaster Breakpoints

nickl_2000
2020-12-23, 09:05 AM
Campaign will likely go to 16 or possibly 17. Currently running an AT at level 4 and just got the XP to get to level 5. The rest of the party is a EB Blaster Celestial Warlock, Divination Wizard, and Glory Paladin (who will be sorlocking eventually).

AT is a combination of an archer and melee combatant who is using a 3rd party BB style cantrip (called Challenger's Mark from Elminster Guide to Magic). Effectively, melee attack + psychic damage. Next attack against anyone other than me is made at disadvantage, if they attack at disadvantage or move more than 30 ft from my PC they take extra damage. Which is super effective on a class that can disengage as a bonus action all the time.

I would like to go Battlemaster for some off turn shenanigan's and other fighter goodies, but how far would you go into battlemaster and at what point would you take the levels in the progression?

RogueJK
2020-12-23, 10:39 AM
If you're planning to rely on that Cantrip for the rest of your career, Extra Attack doesn't get you any benefit on your melee attacks. So I wouldn't go more than Battlemaster 3. Or possibly 4 if you're really feat/ASI starved and really need the Fighter 4 ASI.

Breakpoint is tough. Rogues get good stuff at almost every level. I'm inclined to say to wait until after Rogue 11/12, but that doesn't give you much time to play with the Battlemaster maneuvers. So while it'd probably be less optimal, if you're wanting Battlemaster sooner rather than later, I'd say either after Rogue 5 (for 3d6 Sneak Attack and Uncanny Dodge ASAP), or after Rogue 7 or 8 (to get Evasion and 2nd level spells for stuff like Invisibility and Shadow Blade ASAP, as well as possibly an ASI at 8).

nickl_2000
2020-12-23, 11:09 AM
If you're planning to rely on that Cantrip for the rest of your career, Extra Attack doesn't get you any benefit on your melee attacks. So I wouldn't go more than Battlemaster 3. Or possibly 4 if you're really feat/ASI starved and really need the Fighter 4 ASI.

Breakpoint is tough. Rogues get good stuff at almost every level. I'm inclined to say to wait until after Rogue 11/12, but that doesn't give you much time to play with the Battlemaster maneuvers. So while it'd probably be less optimal, if you're wanting Battlemaster sooner rather than later, I'd say either after Rogue 5 (for 3d6 Sneak Attack and Uncanny Dodge ASAP), or after Rogue 7 or 8 (to get Evasion and 2nd level spells for stuff like Invisibility and Shadow Blade ASAP, as well as possibly an ASI at 8).

It's point buy where I currently have 18 Dex, 16 int, and 13 Con. So, I need and ASI for +2 Dex and for Resilient Con at some point, anything beyond that is gravy. With two PCs out there that can toss out fireballs (and one of them who is very focused on using fire) getting to 7 for evasion and extra expertise seems like a pretty good way to go first.