PDA

View Full Version : Wizard bonus action optimization

Ir0ns0ul
2020-12-23, 09:08 AM
TLDR: What are the best ways to optimize bonus action usage for Wizards through levels 1-6?

To give more context, I'm playing a Hobgoblin Iron Wizard Diviner doing all the classic battlefield control shenanigans.

From levels 1 to 3, I was somehow trying to give some utility to my bonus action through the Unseen Servant, but lack of proper downtime to cast it and the issue with movement were a pain.
From levels 3 to 4, I actually used Flaming Sphere a lot and I saw really good value generated from my bonus action, but when I finally reached Level 5+ and things like Hypnotic Pattern & Slow became a major choice for me, my Concentration started to get occupied by better spells and once again I saw really low usage for my bonus action.

My party has a Cleric and a Bard, and I'm actually getting jealous of them being able to use some Spiritual Weapons and Bardic Inspirations over and over, so my ask for help to the GitP commmunity is that: what are the best ways to optimize bonus action usage for Wizards during levels 1-6 (Tier 1 only) considering Concentration will usually focus on major staple spells (Levitate, Web, Dragon's Breath, Hypnotic Pattern, Slow, etc)? I have thought about Animate Dead, Tiny Servants and etc, but actually never explored summoning spells other than Find Familiar.

heavyfuel
2020-12-23, 09:21 AM
Wizards are notoriously lacking in Bonus Actions. Pretty much anything you can do with it is going to require Concentration, so you can't really focus on both BFC and Bonus Action usage.

Stuff like Misty Step sounds great, but in most situations it's useless and it also stops you from casting a non-cantrip spell that round, so it should really be used sparingly.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-23, 09:51 AM
You can push enemies (or friends) around with Telekinetic feat. 5' isn't much, but it isn't a spell, doesn't require concentration, and doesn't have any size limitations. Push an enemy into danger! Pull a friend out of enemy reach to avoid opportunity attacks! Only moves creatures closer or farther away form the caster, not laterally, so you may need some running around to get in a good position to use it.

It even improves your Int.

RogueJK
2020-12-23, 10:13 AM
Yep, the new Telekinetic feat is a very solid option. Gives you something useful to do with your Bonus Action, and it's an INT half-feat too.

LordShade
2020-12-23, 10:45 AM
+1 for Telekinetic

Metamagic Adept for a Quicken is another option.

mistajames
2020-12-23, 10:56 AM
Wizard is tough - definitely lacks BA outlets. Your options for a Hobgoblin (i.e. - no racial options, no added multiclassing) come down to:

Telekinetic feat. Good, reliable use of your BA every round.
Expeditious Retreat
Melf's Minute Meteors/Flaming Sphere/Storm Sphere
Misty Step
Command Animate Objects

Metamagic Adept is not worth it for Quicken once/day.

da newt
2020-12-23, 11:05 AM
It doesn't help you out, but I love the goblin race for it's BA disengage or hide.

I also like the mobility of a controlled mount - free dash or disengage and greater speed (not really a BA, but BA like capability).

You can drop prone (free), move behind cover / out of sight / out of range (movement).

Heavenblade
2020-12-23, 11:29 AM
The new tandem tactician feat is an at will buff on a rarely used bonus action. Also gives you an excuse to start moving and thinking tacticaly, while adding a fun spin to the "god wizard" thing. Advantage is GREAT.

RogueJK
2020-12-23, 01:07 PM
The new tandem tactician feat is an at will buff on a rarely used bonus action. Also gives you an excuse to start moving and thinking tacticaly, while adding a fun spin to the "god wizard" thing. Advantage is GREAT.

But that's an Unearthed Arcana feat, not an official feat, so it may or may not be allowed.

It also requires you to be within 15' of an enemy, which is less of a problem on an Iron Wizard build, but potentially not great for a lot of other types of squishier Wizards.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-12-23, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. It’s clear now that Wizards don’t have many options indeed. I have never considered Telekinetic because I’m not in the “psi” mood, but sounds super useful. Main issue is that my INT (18) isn’t odd and I already selected Moderately Armored at level 4. I was planning to get my INT 20 at level 8, but let’s see.

Wow... I remember this feat from UA and it’s awesome! It’s also super flavorful for my Hobgoblin, who has like a retired veteran mercenary backstory. I’ll definitely consider it.

RogueJK
2020-12-23, 01:30 PM
Since you already have an 18 INT, you can afford to wait until Level 12 to get 20 INT.

That leaves 8 open for something like UA Tandem Tactician, or you can do two INT half-feats at 8 and 12 like Telekinetic, Telepathic, Observant, Skill Expert, Keen Mind, or Fey/Shadow Touched.

arnin77
2020-12-23, 05:53 PM
I’ve seen heat metal be a beast when the enemy is wearing metal armor, no save no attack required. Just 2d8 fire damage, and 2d8 more the following rounds on a bonus action. It can also be upcast. Concentration required. If you’re level 5 you could have a bonus action heat metal do 3d8 dmg then magic missile for 1d4+1 per bolt(+upcast) - all auto damage.

Gignere
2020-12-23, 07:03 PM
I think tiny servants is an awesome use of the wizards bonus action. Especially if you can equip them with a bunch of wands of magic missile. Bonus action 3 or more MM cast on a single target.

Civis Mundi
2020-12-23, 07:23 PM
I think tiny servants is an awesome use of the wizards bonus action. Especially if you can equip them with a bunch of wands of magic missile. Bonus action 3 or more MM cast on a single target.

Beat me to the punch! I'll add that even without any wands, magic stone will work wonders.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-23, 09:17 PM
I’ve seen heat metal be a beast when the enemy is wearing metal armor, no save no attack required. Just 2d8 fire damage, and 2d8 more the following rounds on a bonus action. It can also be upcast. Concentration required. If you’re level 5 you could have a bonus action heat metal do 3d8 dmg then magic missile for 1d4+1 per bolt(+upcast) - all auto damage.

Too bad it's not on wizard's list.

Gignere
2020-12-23, 10:00 PM
Beat me to the punch! I'll add that even without any wands, magic stone will work wonders.

Its too hard to get magic stone on wizard.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-23, 10:10 PM

Not really. 3 stones isn't much if you have more than one minion, which means you'd need to be recasting the spell all the time, and every time you cast Magic Stone, you can't cast a levelled spell in the same turn. And, of course, it interferes with giving orders to the servants/undead.

arnin77
2020-12-23, 10:52 PM
Too bad it's not on wizard's list.

Oh ya - don’t mind me, whoops.

Gale
2020-12-23, 11:14 PM
Decanter of Endless Water! Seriously, if you have nothing better to do and have access to one you can force a DC 13 Strength save every round to knock someone prone and do 1d4 bludgeoning damage. Not the highest DC in the world, but the opportunity cost is minimal and it'll trip up an enemy eventually if you spam it enough; and when it does work your melee buddies get advantage until the enemy gets back on their feet.

Plus it's infinite water, which I'm sure you can come up with some uses for even if you're not in a survival campaign.

ftafp
2020-12-24, 12:14 AM
Since people are brining up the issues with the old tiny servants trick, I think you might find Animate Dead a bit more utilitarian. While they have a worse attack bonus, skeletons have the benefit of a ranged attack that doesn't require you to cast cantrips. It's also with a weapon that you can buy in a store, so magic bows aren't a terrible idea. In addition, while their poor ability scores don't make for good offensive grapplers, zombies have a 195 pound carrying capacity. If you're light side for a hobgoblin (150 lbs) your zombies could grapple you, drag you 10 feet out of AoO range and then let you go. It would be like telekinesis, but you can potentially use it on both yourself and allies in the same turn. Of course, that might not be necessary if you order your undead to surround you, giving you half cover and preventing enemies from getting close. They might hit you with aoe in response, but as a wizard you have counterspell

PattThe
2020-12-24, 01:52 AM
Can you go wrong with a one level warlock dip for that spiritual weapon tentacle? :P

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 01:59 AM
Unseen servant plus healing potion.

SharkForce
2020-12-24, 02:44 AM
gotta say, telekinesis sounds like by far the most promising option. being able to shift enemies into an AoE or allies out of an AoE is a very interesting option, and you can make it even better by placing hazards into the fight (web, wall of fire, create bonfire cantrip, far enough from a polearm master that they have to risk an opportunity attack to get into melee)

you might sometimes wish for more movement, and it won't always be useful, but it seems like the most likely option to be useful most frequently at a low-ish cost.

Citadel97501
2020-12-24, 03:34 AM
I definitely approve of Telekinetic, but I do see that many people are missing Tiny Servant from Xanathar's guide pg 169. This happens to be one of my favorite spells for Wizards, or Artificers.

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 03:40 AM
I definitely approve of Telekinetic, but I do see that many people are missing Tiny Servant from Xanathar's guide pg 169. This happens to be one of my favorite spells for Wizards, or Artificers.

Excellent addition!

Yes. Any old Wizard can get a Tiny Servant and equip the Tiny Servant with a Wand of Magic Missiles to acquire one of the best bonus actions available in the game (the Wand of Magic Missile can nova out an upcast Magic Missile).

diplomancer
2020-12-24, 03:57 AM
On the tiny servants/magic stone combo:
1- a 1 level artificer dip (quite good on it's own, apart from armor+shield it really helps with your preparations), gives you magic stone. I'd suggest taking it right after Wizard 5, unless you are going for some sort of melee build.
2- Tiny Servants can take "standing orders", so you don't have to give them new commands every turn with your bonus action for them to throw the rocks. Naturally, it's DM dependant how complex those standing orders may be.
3- definitely not RAW territory, but MIGHT be allowed by DM: casting a bonus action cantrip and a leveled spell; as it isn't TWO leveled spells, it isn't overpowered to allow it. If your DM doesn't let you, it's not a deal breaker. Have Magic Stones ready before combat begins, fire off your big concentration spell on round 1, use your BA to "trigger" the standing order, cast cantrips for the rest of the combat (it's not like you can afford to cast leveled spells EVERY round of combat, at least not until very high levels). If you NEED to cast again, give up Magic Stones for that particular round)

Kylar0990
2020-12-24, 04:32 AM
On the tiny servants/magic stone combo:
1- a 1 level artificer dip (quite good on it's own, apart from armor+shield it really helps with your preparations), gives you magic stone
2- Tiny Servants can take "standing orders", so you don't have to give them new commands every turn with your bonus action for them to throw the rocks. Naturally, it's DM dependant how complex those standing orders may be.
3- definitely not RAW territory, but MIGHT be allowed by DM: casting a bonus action cantrip and a leveled spell; as it isn't TWO leveled spells, it isn't overpowered to allow it. If your DM doesn't let you, it's not a deal breaker. Have Magic Stones ready before combat begins, fire off your big concentration spell on round 1, use your BA to "trigger" the standing order, cast cantrips for the rest of the combat (it's not like you can afford to cast leveled spells EVERY round of combat, at least not until very high levels). If you NEED to cast again, give up Magic Stones for that particular round)

There is a magic item that lets you cast the same cantrip as a bonus action that you just cast as your main action it uses up one of your attunement slots. Illusionist's Bracers

Don't pretend that isn't strong. By 5th level you'd be doing as much cantrip damage as a 17th level character. (4d10 or even 4d8 is better than most any single target 1st or 2nd level spells especially if that 4d10 or 4d8 didn't cost you a spell slot)

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 04:39 AM
There is a magic item that lets you cast the same cantrip as a bonus action that you just cast as your main action it uses up one of your attunement slots. Illusionist's Bracers

Don't pretend that isn't strong. By 5th level you'd be doing as much cantrip damage as a 17th level character. (4d10 or even 4d8 is better than most any single target 1st or 2nd level spells especially if that 4d10 or 4d8 didn't cost you a spell slot)

Bladesinger level 6 ability gets around this limitation.

Citadel97501
2020-12-24, 04:50 AM

Oooh I hadn't thought of using Blade Singer to use Artificer cantrips such as Magic Stone, that might be extremely good :)

diplomancer
2020-12-24, 04:52 AM

Sure, quickening a cantrip that usually costs one action for free (or for the relatively small price of an attunement slot) is powerful, though damagewise still worse than a martial with PAM even before considering any features apart from Extra attack, so I wouldn't call it overpowered. What is good about the Illusionist's Bracers is NOT casting two cantrips in the same turn (after all, there is no rule that restricts you from doing so, and quickening a cantrip with metamagic is considered a poor use of resources), it's making what usually costs an action to cost only a bonus action. Transforming into a Bonus Action what was designed to be an Action is something so powerful that highly optimized builds are made around it (like the Sorcadin).

How is that relevant to what I've said? (i.e, that there is not a big difference in power in BA Leveled spell+ Action cantrip vs BA cantrip+ Action leveled spell, it's so close that many DMs might not even be aware that RAW does not allow it, and if they ARE aware, might think it's silly and not care about it overmuch, interpreting the intent of the rule as "you can't cast leveled spells with your action and your bonus action on the same turn")

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 04:56 AM
Sure, quickening a cantrip that usually costs one action for free (or for the relatively small price of an attunement slot) is powerful. Transforming into a Bonus Action what was designed to be an Action is something so powerful that highly optimized builds are made around it (like the Sorcadin).

How is that relevant to what I've said (i.e, that there is not a big difference in power in BA Leveled spell+ Action cantrip vs BA cantrip+ Action leveled spell, so close that many DMs might not even be aware that RAW does not allow it, and if they ARE aware, might think it's silly and not care about it overmuch)?

This is why I think Bladesinger 6/ Sorceror 2 (Metamagic Adept) is the single most powerful CORE EIGHT of D&D 5e.

Kylar0990
2020-12-24, 05:07 AM

Bladesinger's 6th level ability lets you make 2 weapon attacks or a weapon attack and cast a cantrip. It doesn't let you cast 2 cantrips. While it may be a similar amount of damage, I'd argue having to be in melee range for at least 1 of those attacks is an important difference.

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 05:26 AM
Bladesinger's 6th level ability lets you make 2 weapon attacks or a weapon attack and cast a cantrip. It doesn't let you cast 2 cantrips. While it may be a similar amount of damage, I'd argue having to be in melee range for at least 1 of those attacks is an important difference.

Sorceror 2 (Metamagic Adept) gets around this limitation.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-24, 07:42 AM
Since people are brining up the issues with the old tiny servants trick, I think you might find Animate Dead a bit more utilitarian. While they have a worse attack bonus, skeletons have the benefit of a ranged attack that doesn't require you to cast cantrips. It's also with a weapon that you can buy in a store, so magic bows aren't a terrible idea. In addition, while their poor ability scores don't make for good offensive grapplers, zombies have a 195 pound carrying capacity. If you're light side for a hobgoblin (150 lbs) your zombies could grapple you, drag you 10 feet out of AoO range and then let you go. It would be like telekinesis, but you can potentially use it on both yourself and allies in the same turn. Of course, that might not be necessary if you order your undead to surround you, giving you half cover and preventing enemies from getting close. They might hit you with aoe in response, but as a wizard you have counterspell

Carrying capacity doesn't matter for grappling, though you can't voluntarily fail checks by RAW (with few specific exceptions, Telekinetic being one of them), so the zombies still have to do better than you on Athletics.

ff7hero
2020-12-24, 08:15 AM
Carrying capacity doesn't matter for grappling, though you can't voluntarily fail checks by RAW (with few specific exceptions, Telekinetic being one of them), so the zombies still have to do better than you on Athletics.

You can dump Str or Dex and avoid proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics respectively and then choose to use your worse grapple defense when you want your skeletons to drag you away, though.

Gignere
2020-12-24, 08:18 AM

I don’t think I have met a DM that didn’t allowed you to be voluntarily grappled and moved by an ally. Remember rolls only matter when the results are uncertain, by that rule you don’t need a grapple check if one side is not contesting it, because there is no uncertainty to the results.

So even RAW it is allowed that rolls are unnecessary.