PDA

View Full Version : 3.P - If you had a feat that did this...

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-23, 09:32 AM
Say you have a feat that grants a +1 special weapon ability (flaming, frost, shock, ghost touch, etc) to any weapon you hold or wield, including unarmed strikes, shields, gauntlets, whatever, what would you choose, and why? Note that projectile weapons add the ability to their projectiles (if possible), and any weapon you throw keeps the special ability for the duration of any attack you make with it, but loses it thereafter.

What combo of abilities would you choose if you could take the feat more than once, and how would you make use of them?

This includes nonmagical and makeshift weapons, so you could have a flaming mug in one hand and a frost mug in the other, so you could dual wield hot chocolate and iced cappuccino at the same time.

Cygnia
2020-12-23, 09:57 AM
Probably sonic, just because so few enemies have resistance to it.

Glimbur
2020-12-23, 10:01 AM
Lucky arrows is I think the typical abuse. Or manifesting arrows. Anything that has a limit per day per weapon, combined with the ability to put it on all the weapons.

Setting that aside, I think it is campaign dependent. Ghost Touch would be handy for some kinds of enemies, maybe an elemental damage buff for others. Defending is cute if you have access to Greater Magic Weapon: get some armor spikes and all those stupid unslotted weapons.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-23, 10:16 AM
Lucky arrows is I think the typical abuse. Or manifesting arrows. Anything that has a limit per day per weapon, combined with the ability to put it on all the weapons.Well, lucky would work, but manifesting isn't a +1 enhancement, instead being +16,000 gp. Which isn't worth it, by the way; not on anything that isn't ammo, anyhow.

I'd want sizing and morphing, I think. The ability to turn anything I hold into any weapon of any size would be amazing.

Is there a +1 enhancement that acts like a Hank's bow to reload with phantom ammo? Because that's next.

togapika
2020-12-23, 12:53 PM
Add Throwing to my unarmed strikes...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-12-23, 01:09 PM
Seeking, ignore miss chance forever. Need to have Throw Anything or just stick to weapons that have a range increment for it to work in melee.

Spell Storing would be pretty good if you can pre-cast spells into a bunch of arrows (arrows can be wielded as melee weapons).

Greg_S
2020-12-24, 11:49 AM
Since it's 3.P, training is on the table. If you could pick the granted combat feat per-weapon, per day (similar to PF's paragon surge or tactical adaptation spells, where you pick one specific feat to gain the first time you cast it that day) then you could keep a golf bag of utility weapons as floating feats.

For the cost of one feat you get entry-level martial flexibility.

Darg
2020-12-24, 11:26 PM

Throw Anything is already a feat...

Asmotherion
2020-12-25, 01:23 AM
Morphing Weapon for sure. I mean, it would mean I would be able to shape a weapon out of almost anything that could be considered an improvised weapon.

From that point on, I'd go for the Metaline property, and Transmuting property. And, the sonic damage seems like a good option.

Calm down Luffy :P

iceifur
2020-12-28, 12:38 PM
I'd have to go with Guided (https://aonprd.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Guided). From MAD to SAD in one easy feat.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-28, 12:41 PM
Morphing Weapon for sure. I mean, it would mean I would be able to shape a weapon out of almost anything that could be considered an improvised weapon.

From that point on, I'd go for the Metaline property, and Transmuting property. And, the sonic damage seems like a good option.

Calm down Luffy :PLess "Stretch Armstrong" and more either "Rocket Punch" (if you have regen) or "Long-Distance Bicycle Kick"?

Or maybe "Killer Move: Series Series: Serious Punch."

togapika
2020-12-28, 06:18 PM
Calm down Luffy :P

I've never actually seen or read any of One Piece

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-28, 06:27 PM
I've never actually seen or read any of One PieceI've heard it's quite good. And long. Give it a chance when you have about 15 years to devote solely to it.

Ramza00
2020-12-28, 06:41 PM
I'd have to go with Guided (https://aonprd.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Guided). From MAD to SAD in one easy feat.

Interesting. Works well with a cleric archer or a cleric twfer even though you can't use it on a side weapon but those side weapon attacks are mop up if your main weapon did not kill the person.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-28, 07:32 PM
Interesting. Works well with a cleric archer or a cleric twfer even though you can't use it on a side weapon but those side weapon attacks are mop up if your main weapon did not kill the person.Part of the problem with a Wis-centric build for some of that, especially TWF, is that it requires Dex, with no way to get around it that isn't monk bonus feats. Want to make a TWF cleric focusing exclusively on Con for HP and Wis for attack and damage? Sorry, that ain't happening. You have to boost your Dex regardless of what you want, so screw your "ideas."

Darg
2020-12-29, 10:21 AM
Part of the problem with a Wis-centric build for some of that, especially TWF, is that it requires Dex, with no way to get around it that isn't monk bonus feats. Want to make a TWF cleric focusing exclusively on Con for HP and Wis for attack and damage? Sorry, that ain't happening. You have to boost your Dex regardless of what you want, so screw your "ideas."

If you don't mind giving up on greater two weapon fighting, Gloves of the Balanced Hand let you fight as if you had two weapon fighting or if you have the TWF feat letting you fight as if you had improved two weapon fighting. This means you only need a minimum of 15 dex only if you want ITWF. Cast a couple of ice axes and go to town.

Ramza00
2020-12-29, 12:35 PM
Part of the problem with a Wis-centric build for some of that, especially TWF, is that it requires Dex, with no way to get around it that isn't monk bonus feats. Want to make a TWF cleric focusing exclusively on Con for HP and Wis for attack and damage? Sorry, that ain't happening. You have to boost your Dex regardless of what you want, so screw your "ideas."

Thought there was an Artful Dodge equivalent feat for Wis instead of Int. No matter 🤣

But yeah what Darg said. 15 Dex for TWF, and you only want TWF and ITWF which the gloves of balanced hand gives. When you have BAB 11 for GTWF you also have likely 6th level spells maybe 8th level since Cleric 15 is when BAB 11 goes on line, though exactly when you have it is dependent on what prestige and multiclassing you do.

TWF, ITWF, and Haste is 3 extra attacks for a -2, it is enough.

PoeticallyPsyco
2020-12-30, 12:29 AM
RE: TWF, there's also... ah, crap, what are those guys called? Diopsids, from Dragon Compendium. Can ignore the Dex requirements for any feat with "Two Weapon" in the name. They also get the cool ability to wield two-handed weapons essentially 1-handed (they have two tiny arms that can run support).

RE: Archery, Zen Archery already lets you use Wisdom and Charming the Arrow already lets you use Charisma. Those are both 3.5, though; I don't know that Pathfinder has equivalents. And I don't know whether condensing all those 'alternate ability score' feats into a single one would be good or bad for balance.

Kitsuneymg
2021-01-02, 12:20 AM
If you can pick details anew each time you draw the weapon, or on a per weapon basis, bane would be a good choice.

Skyrender
2021-01-02, 10:03 AM
I would take vampiric (the version from the Magic Item Compendium). Roll 1d6. You do that much extra damage, and heal that much damage. Helps regardless of what you are, but especially tasty on a crit fisher.

Speaking of crit fishers, a close second would be an aptitude weapon, from Tome of Battle. All feats that require you to specify a particular weapon also apply to the weapon in question (including proficiency!)? Not bad, if you're a class that doesn't get a big selection of weapons to start with (cough-cough, wizard, cough-cough), or something that gets lots of fighter feats (cough-cough, fighter, cough-cough).

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-02, 10:08 AM
I would take vampiric (the version from the Magic Item Compendium). Roll 1d6. You do that much extra damage, and heal that much damage. Helps regardless of what you are, but especially tasty on a crit fisher.

Speaking of crit fishers, a close second would be an aptitude weapon, from Tome of Battle. All feats that require you to specify a particular weapon also apply to the weapon in question (including proficiency!)? Not bad, if you're a class that doesn't get a big selection of weapons to start with (cough-cough, wizard, cough-cough), or something that gets lots of fighter feats (cough-cough, fighter, cough-cough).(Cough-cough, martial wizard has both, cough-cough.)

Also, you might consider the skillful ability, as well. Essentially gives wizards/psions/etc medium BAB for anything but prereqs.