PDA

View Full Version : Mrr. Darkness spells that allow darkvision to pierce them? (And more on darkvision)

Kantolin
2007-11-06, 03:01 AM
I am a little irritated at the amount of darkness spells which specifically also prevent darkvision from piercing them. Are there any spells which cause darkness but permit darkvision through? I don't believe any are in the PHB, but there may be some in other books.

In addition, a couple questions about some darkvision house rules and balance. First, would it be terribly unbalancing to make all darkness spells pierce-able with darkvision? Gives half-orcs and dwarves an edge, I admit, but hey.

Secondly, how unbalancing would it be to simply give races which have darkvision darkvision out to the extent of their vision? None of this '60ft' stuff.

Dhavaer
2007-11-06, 03:28 AM
'No Light', from the Book of Vile Darkness, is a cantrip that suppresses all light within its area.

tainsouvra
2007-11-06, 03:41 AM
Darkvision is already a pretty large low-level advantage for some characters. While most most higher-level characters and a few other low-level characters it isn't a big advantage, any change (like those you suggested) that make it more powerful will invariably bias toward the characters that already gained from it.

To sum up my opinion on that, and on the ability in general, I just don't think Darkvision was ever supposed to be as strong as you'd be making it.

CthulhuM
2007-11-06, 03:42 AM
The truth is, many, many monsters have darkvision. All undead, constructs, aberrations, dragons, outsiders, monstrous humanoids, magical beasts and vermin, just for starters. Allowing darkvision to pierce all magical darkness would make darkness spells basically pointless. As it is, it's not as if they're overpowered - you can still see things in the area of a darkness or deeper darkness spell, unless they're actively hiding.

Rumda
2007-11-06, 04:55 AM
there is a form of dark vision that can see through magical darkness already though, the warlock invocation devil sight

Amiria
2007-11-06, 05:26 AM
And there is also a spell that's darkness - the real thing - not "shadowy illumination" in 3.5 D&D. Blacklight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/blacklight.htm).

I love that spell. I had a guisarme-wielding gish who buffed up with Enlarge Person and Blacklight. 20 ft. radius darkness and reach.

Chronos
2007-11-06, 05:52 PM
Are there any spells which cause darkness but permit darkvision through?There are few enough spells which cause darkness at all. According to some interpretations, Darkness doesn't cause darkness. Personally, I say that this is one case where, if that's what the Rules As Written really mean, then the Rules As Written are wrong.