PDA

View Full Version : Help with some encounter ideas

TjwBlake
2020-12-23, 10:04 AM
Hi All,

I have a 5e adventure that I am working on.... in this case I am using a Morkoth as the final boss.

I am working on some traps/encounters/whatever you want to call them as the PCs enter its lair and just looking for some ideas or to bounce the below idea off some folks.

I have a group of 6 lvl 9 PCs of moderate power (I often have to up hitpoints and the like to keep things challenging)
The goal with a lot of this is to ensure they cannot go in and simply alpha strike the badguy. The need for waterbreathing will help a little bit

One hazard I have is:

Halls of weeds – Thick strands of seaweed like plants fill the walls in here... movement causes the vines to reach out.. Towards the source like ghostly fingers...

Those affected by the Morkoths hypnosis are allowed passage

All others:

Stealth check DC 15 to avoid the trigger

Failure = grappled DC15 escape. At the start of the creatures turn it must make a DC 15 CON save vs poison or gain 1 pt of exhaustion (each turn spent grappled will also delay arrival in the Morkoth's lair)

If the group spends more than 2 rounds dealing with the trapped PCs, it will take a DC 13 Perception check to find the PC(s) going to the Morkoth

Does this seem reasonable as a bit of a challenge an a way to help "break up" the party's ability to stay organized and planned? Any other ideas?

Unoriginal
2020-12-23, 11:49 AM
Hi All,

I have a 5e adventure that I am working on.... in this case I am using a Morkoth as the final boss.

I am working on some traps/encounters/whatever you want to call them as the PCs enter its lair and just looking for some ideas or to bounce the below idea off some folks.

I have a group of 6 lvl 9 PCs of moderate power (I often have to up hitpoints and the like to keep things challenging)
The goal with a lot of this is to ensure they cannot go in and simply alpha strike the badguy. The need for waterbreathing will help a little bit

One hazard I have is:

Halls of weeds – Thick strands of seaweed like plants fill the walls in here... movement causes the vines to reach out.. Towards the source like ghostly fingers...

Those affected by the Morkoths hypnosis are allowed passage

All others:

Stealth check DC 15 to avoid the triggeri

Failure = grappled DC15 escape. At the start of the creatures turn it must make a DC 15 CON save vs poison or gain 1 pt of exhaustion (each turn spent grappled will also delay arrival in the Morkoth's lair)

If the group spends more than 2 rounds dealing with the trapped PCs, it will take a DC 13 Perception check to find the PC(s) going to the Morkoth

Does this seem reasonable as a bit of a challenge an a way to help "break up" the party's ability to stay organized and planned? Any other ideas?

Since Morkoths are wizards, I would give this one an ability based on Bladesinging, and have them use various cool weapons they've stolen for their hoard through the years.

TjwBlake
2020-12-24, 08:56 AM
Since Morkoths are wizards, I would give this one an ability based on Bladesinging, and have them use various cool weapons they've stolen for their hoard through the years.

Oh man... I never considered that idea! that sounds like it could be fun