PDA

View Full Version : Confessions and Secrets: The Second Age

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-06, 06:32 AM
Hi, this is your friendly neighborhood Rex Idiotarum here, saying that I love the new level of openness in the playground, but feel that certain things fall through the cracks.

If you have an anonymous crush Confession, send it to with the Subject line, "I've been Crush'd." "Confessions"Here is a good anonymous e-mailer. (http://behidden.com/user_home_page_emailer.php)

I will post new e-mails as soon as possible.

For not-so-anonymous confessions, feel free to post.
((First confession, I plagiarized from the Crush'd Thread...))

BlackStaticWolf
2007-11-06, 06:45 AM
Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I've totally been coveting my neighbors ass.

Sorry, couldn't resist making a bad confession joke.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-06, 06:55 AM
I actually contemplated making the Email title "Forgive me father..." but, though funny, had that religious connotation and kinda makes it seem like anything sent is something bad. Also, I don't think anyone could consider me anything like a priest.

Fortunately for me and everyone else, I can resist a Confession joke. but if you want to make the subject line "Forgive me Father..." I'll put it with the rest of the confessions.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-12, 03:57 PM
O! A confession. Better late than never...

Alrighty, I need some advice. I'm invited to a party, where I know there's going
to be hookah smoking. I'm not going near it, and I know that there will be other
people not smoking as well, but how should I handle it. they've guaranteed
they'd don't care if i smoke or not, and that they'll separate sections, but i'm
still not sure.

This is not really a confession. I just wanted to publicly, but still
anonymously, thank phoenixineohp for all the help she has given me. She is a
great person and deserves much better than what life has given her.

Thank you very much, the help has been extremely valuable.

I don't have any confessions to make.

I'm so depressed.

Here I am, brain the size of a peanut.

And I don't have any confessions.

I mean, come on. Surely everyone has a confession of some kind?

But I guess I don't.

I'm so sorry for wasting your inbox space Rex.

And I'm so sorry for wasting 5 seconds of your lives with this junk I have
written.

Please forgive me.

*hides in a small dark corner*

Talk to the depression thread; No problem too small.

Syka
2007-11-12, 06:05 PM
To the person going to the party- just don't smoke. Decline it if someone offers, but don't judge the people who decide to partake. My friend, her sister, and I went to the Hookah lounge in my town for dinner. They smoked, I didn't. It's not something I'm interested in, and they understood (they did ask if I wanted to try and I turned them down). The hookah smoke I found to be very mild and it didn't at all affect my asthma; heck, I could only smell it when a puff went in my direction, and there were a lot of people smoking. It was actually better then outside, which smelled like there was a wildfire somewhere near by.

If you are uncomfortable with smoking in general, then I'd suggest not going.

But I wouldn't worry. :)

Cheers,
Syka

averagejoe
2007-11-12, 06:08 PM
To the person going to the party- just don't smoke. Decline it if someone offers, but don't judge the people who decide to partake. My friend, her sister, and I went to the Hookah lounge in my town for dinner. They smoked, I didn't. It's not something I'm interested in, and they understood (they did ask if I wanted to try and I turned them down). The hookah smoke I found to be very mild and it didn't at all affect my asthma; heck, I could only smell it when a puff went in my direction, and there were a lot of people smoking. It was actually better then outside, which smelled like there was a wildfire somewhere near by.

If you are uncomfortable with smoking in general, then I'd suggest not going.

But I wouldn't worry. :)

Cheers,
Syka

Agreed. I've been in a similar situation, and, really, no one cares.

Rykaj
2007-11-12, 06:19 PM
Depends on what they'll be using, if they use fruit flavored things nothing's going on, and the smoke is really light, you'll probably barely even notice it. Just turn it down and no one will think badly of you.

If they're smoking pot, well it's basically the same story, but the smoke is a lot heavier to breathe and actually smells sorta bad. If you can't stand the smell I'd advice not going. Otherwise just turn it down if they offer it to you and no one will think badly of you either.

Sean92k
2007-11-12, 06:28 PM
Is the posting of a emo-ish blog a confession? :smallconfused: Cos if it is, count me in. :smallbiggrin: I dont suppose Im looking for advice... Just people to tell. Here. (http://sean92k.livejournal.com/) Start with the bottom entry and work upwards... Its confusing but its all i have :smallfrown:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-12, 10:12 PM
shes says i scare her. she says she used to like me a year or so ago, but now i
just plain scare the stuff out of her. maybe she has just grown to see who i
really am. i wish i wasn't so messed up. that i could get through the day
without thinking about how i failed her. how i failed us.

I know how you feel...

When reading "Woe is me" or Depression Thread posts, I sometimes think of
responses that would be totally inappropriate, mean, or both. For obvious
reasons I won't give examples, but I'm wondering if I'm mean spirited, or just
human.

For the record, I think most of the imaginary responses are funny, and I have
asked for help in the DT before.

You're mean spirited. But so am I so I think it's cool.

Brickwall
2007-11-12, 10:29 PM
If anyone thinks the above confessor is me, keep in mind that
A. I already know I'm mean (My entire reason for avoiding Vegetarianism the thread...I would be too tempted).
B. I've never posted in Depression, because I'm too awesome.
C. I don't "sometimes" think of responses that are clearly insulting or inappropriate. Always, my friends, always.

Just clearing up any confusion.

Raiser Blade
2007-11-12, 10:33 PM
If anyone thinks the above confessor is me, keep in mind that
A. I already know I'm mean.
B. I've never posted in Depression, because I'm too awesome.
C. I don't "sometimes" think of responses that are clearly insulting or inappropriate. Always, my friends, always.

Just clearing up any confusion.

Well your displaying your insulting and innapropriate nature with that line. Seriously depression is nothing to be ashamed about.

Serpentine
2007-11-12, 10:54 PM
If they're smoking pot, well it's basically the same story, but the smoke is a lot heavier to breathe and actually smells sorta bad. If you can't stand the smell I'd advice not going. Otherwise just turn it down if they offer it to you and no one will think badly of you either.
I... kinda like the smell of marijuana :smallredface: Well, at least I can stand it better than cigarettes. I don't know about the hookah stuff, but if it is pot, your clothes and hair will probably stink of it afterwards. Be sure to wash both well.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-12, 11:06 PM
When my female friend calls me up at 3am either drunk or stoned and wants to
tell me how her evening of illicit sex went, I kind of want to kill myself.
Partially because we used to be together (which is why she is so open with me)
and partially because it reminds me that I am very, very lonely. I haven't slept
more than 3 hours a night for two weeks, and I made an account on every dating
site that I could find because I'm crazy and I seem to have it in my mind that a
woman will magically fix things.

Man, why does every one of these remind me of something crappy in my life...

I must confess something that's being eating me up inside: I accidentally groped
my neighbor's wife. I'm only 15 and she's 30-something! You see, I was sitting
on my porch one day and I noticed the neighbor's wife, hereafter referred to as
"Missus" lugging boxes out of her garage to a big SUV at the curb. You see, the
Carlson's are sorta rich and they've got a summer home in California they go to
for the winter months here in Canada. Being the polite fellow I am, I go over
and offer to help, Missus accepts and I dive right in, helping carry pretty
heavy boxes to her SUV. Now, you have to understand that it had frozen the
previous night and the driveway was sort of slippery with ice. I'm walking back
up her driveway, Missus is walking down towards me. I slip on a patch of ice and
go falling fowards, hands flailing. I managed to regain my balance but my hands
had landed on something soft and warm, Missus' chest. She looks down at my
hands, then looks up at me, I sorta blush and mumble something about the last
box being packed in the car, then briskly walk back home. Man, I was red as a
beet come to think of it.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-12, 11:33 PM
I'm open enough to post here.

I hate the fact that I'm smarter than all my friends. I hate when I do better of them on tests and assignments. I honestly hate it so much, that I've intentionally messed up answers on tests just to lower the difference between us. It's not very nice, but I can't help it.

Syka
2007-11-12, 11:38 PM
First about the hookah and pot, don't most use the fruit flavored ones? Also, I don't mind pot smoke. Cigarette and fire smoke set my asthma a-screaming, but evidently hookah, pot, and incense don't affect it at all. In fact, I quite like them. Oh, cloves are ok with my asthma too. Doesn't mean I'll smoke, but at least I know I won't die around them. ;)

To "she says i scare her", I'm sorry. This is almost what happened with my ex and I, though he got to the breaking up part first. He honestly began to scare me. It's not that we don't still love/like you...it's just we get worried (for both of us). My only advice would be to seek help if you think you have problems.

Brickie, I was totally wondering if it was you until I saw your post. :smallwink:

To the dating site guy, first tell your ex to stop drunk dialing you. Second, find stuff that interests you. I'd count on that more than dating sites to help you meet someone you would be compatible with. A woman might not magically fix things, but making friendships and even possibly forming a relationship can help. Normally I don't advocate getting in a relationship unless you're happy with yourself, but I've recently seen how much it changed one of my friends (his personality took a complete 180), so in some instances it might be ok. But my suggestion is to make friends and go from there.

Cheers,
Syka

EDIT: Flame Master, I felt the same for a little bit. I graduated a semester earlier from community college than most people who graduated high school with me (and will complete my BA sooner, as well) and earlier even that people who graduated a year or two before me (my boyfriend is two years older and will be finishing his AA two years after mine).

I've learned, though, that it doesn't mean they are any less intelligent. It just means priorities and life and the type of intelligence is different. For instance, one of my friends is incredible with computers and programming and looking to become a game designer, while I'm utterly lost with all those languages. My boyfriend is going to be going to school to be a filmmaker, which I'm sure would be difficult for me. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Your's is probably just more apparent right now. No one would have found my friends until after high school, which is when I noticed it.

Oh, and stop messing up on tests on purposes, it's only hurting you. One of the best liked kids in my senior class was brilliant- the type of person who always messed up curves and got 5's on every AP test he took, the type you love to hate. But he was nice and not at all snobbish or superior. He was normal and likeable. Just don't let it go to your head, and you should be fine.

SDF
2007-11-12, 11:47 PM
Hookah is flavored, not necessarily fruit though. I'm surprised cloves don't bother you though, those are generally much worse for you than regular cigarettes. :P

phoenixineohp
2007-11-13, 01:33 AM
*Reads 'confession'. Blushes. Hugs the mysterious person.*

I think you just made my day. Thank you. :smallsmile:

Brickwall
2007-11-13, 02:27 AM
Well your displaying your insulting and innapropriate nature with that line. Seriously depression is nothing to be ashamed about.

Who said anything about shame? :smallconfused: I was under the impression that depression was a problem that escalated to the level of a disease. The various sources of depression seem like they're often things to be ashamed about (thus causing the depression), but that's what this thread is for. I was merely stating that I was too awesome to be depressed, much like I am too awesome to be sick.

Flamey, perhaps you should stop sharing grades with your friends and keep them up so you can get some nice, pretty college scholarships? That means money! Don't you love money? Of course you do! Quit feeling so guilty for being school-smart. Just don't let it get to your head. Sure, people will resent you for it, but it's too late to change that now. As long as you're not an ass about it, you'll be fine.

Also, am I the only person here who does not regularly hang out around potheads? That seems like a bad habit to me. But I, as stated, don't know any potheads, so I can't be absolutely certain.

Amotis
2007-11-13, 02:34 AM
Also, am I the only person here who does not regularly hang out around potheads? That seems like a bad habit to me. But I, as stated, don't know any potheads, so I can't be absolutely certain.

Well since illegal drugs is a banned topic I think it's quite nice that now you can't talk about people on just what you call them but what they are. :smallsmile:

Brickwall
2007-11-13, 02:42 AM
Well since illegal drugs is a banned topic I think it's quite nice that now you can't talk about people on just what you call them but what they are. :smallsmile:

Of all the people who bring it up, you quote me? You got something against me, boy?

Seriously, that was just a casual aspersion at the morals of certain people. I have no interest in delving into either topic. Some more people e-mail Rex with the things you feel ashamed about, since apparently it is normal for people to do things they're ashamed of.

Serpentine
2007-11-13, 02:44 AM
Seriously, that was just a casual aspersion at the morals of certain people. Who are you to do this at anyone? None of your business.

Raiser Blade
2007-11-13, 02:47 AM
Who said anything about shame? :smallconfused: I was under the impression that depression was a problem that escalated to the level of a disease. The various sources of depression seem like they're often things to be ashamed about (thus causing the depression), but that's what this thread is for. I was merely stating that I was too awesome to be depressed, much like I am too awesome to be sick.

Miswording and misunderstanding (possibly?) on my part. I took your statement to mean you are too awesome to post in the depression thread so that somehow means you are better than people who suffer from depression. If you are implying that you are somehow more awesome than some of the people on these boards that suffer from depression then I guess I have to disagree with you.

Brickwall
2007-11-13, 02:52 AM
Miswording and misunderstanding (possibly?) on my part. I took your statement to mean you are too awesome to post in the depression thread so that somehow means you are better than people who suffer from depression. If you are implying that you are somehow more awesome than some of the people on these boards that suffer from depression then I guess I have to disagree with you.

If you don't view emotional health as a sign of awesomeness, then I suppose I can see your reasoning. All I said, though, was that I'm too awesome to be depressed, and I am mean to people who are, thus I avoid the Depression thread. Your interpretation of my admittedly ambiguous statement did not match my meaning.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-13, 07:46 AM
... Well, I'm glad you are not depressed.

Moving on... We do need to avoid the pot topic. But we all know pm boxes are open. As is msn/aim/yahoo I guess.

Logic
2007-11-13, 07:59 AM
I feel the need to finally confess that despite never getting any crushes from the various threads devoted to it (and making a correct prediction that I would not be the object of anyone's affections) now I am actually slightly relieved that I did not draw that kind of attention.

T'ze'hai
2007-11-13, 08:01 AM
It seems most confessions have to be of the depressive type, of things people don't like of themselves. Hmmm...

I want to confess that half of my working day, I'm not at work, but just hanging around on the internet. Up untill now there have not been any problems with that, as I work very fast, and can easily make up for those lost hours. To others it seems like I've just done a one days work in one day...:smallbiggrin:

potatocubed
2007-11-13, 09:05 AM
When reading "Woe is me" or Depression Thread posts, I sometimes think of responses that would be totally inappropriate, mean, or both. For obvious reasons I won't give examples, but I'm wondering if I'm mean spirited, or just human.

For the record, I think most of the imaginary responses are funny, and I have asked for help in the DT before.

Dude, if it's ever me go right ahead and post. I haven't posted in the DT for ages because, well, life is pretty good, but I always appreciate a good joke at my expense.

reorith
2007-11-13, 12:06 PM
i must confess i still believe. when i'm not with you, i lose my mind give me a sign! hit me baby one more time!

Serpentine
2007-11-13, 12:08 PM
A real confession.
I know you got the lyrics wrong.:smallfrown: It's more like "I must confess, in my loneliness, give me a siiiiiiiign, hit me baby one more time".

Skippy
2007-11-13, 12:13 PM
A real confession.
I know you got the lyrics wrong.:smallfrown: It's more like "I must confess, in my loneliness, give me a siiiiiiiign, hit me baby one more time".

And my confession is:

I was trying to remember the lyrics, and realized you had it also wrong... It's: "I must confess I still believe, when I'm not with you I lose my mind, give me a sign, hit me baby one more time

I am ashamed of myself

PhoeKun
2007-11-13, 12:21 PM
In a world where people can claim to have Googled the lyrics, I must confess I do not understand why people seem so quick to claim responsibility for their own knowledge of such awful, awful secrets...

Skippy
2007-11-13, 12:24 PM
This was supposed to be a confession thread, wasn't it?

Vonriel
2007-11-13, 01:31 PM
Keep in mind that confessions are still subject to rules of the forum, the thread's been closed before for forgetting it.

And, guys, be a little serious here. :smallsigh:

captain_decadence
2007-11-13, 04:08 PM
I confess that I have put myself in bad situations while inebriated and then blamed what happened on the alcohol. This has happened a few times and I almost believe sometimes that I was a victim, even though I really wasn't.

ocato
2007-11-13, 04:11 PM
This thread is genius. People confess anonymously, and when we run out of confessions, people can confess to their confessions! The longevity!

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-13, 04:18 PM
I am serious man, this are serious confession. Or something.

No really, it is.And embarressing to the point where I have to use this anon
thingy.

Anyway.

The arrival of the LGBT thread kinda got me thinking. It struck a bit of a chord
with me, because, well... I'm a bit of a homophobe. I know it's bad, but I just
am. Especially odd because my first friend from this forum is quite openly
homosexual. He's still a friend, and I don't plan for that to change anytime
soon. But I just see it is odd, sorta.

Can't think of much else other to say than sorry.

It's okay, things like this can uncomfort people.

Dragonrider
2007-11-13, 05:32 PM
My confession (of sorts...it's no biggie):

I'm really, really, really stressed about my schoolwork. Which is idiotic. In history I'm two weeks ahead on the work and have a 97% average. I'm taking a college writing class (I'm 16) and I have a 95% average, and I've already got the first draft of my paper due Friday. I guess it's calculus and physics that are freaking me out...I'm doing fine but they're the one thing that I can't work ahead on and that gets me really stressed because I like to be ahead for breathing room.

Ugh. Now I feel like a total overachiever. Well, I'll take my history final next week and be done with that till the start of next term, after new year's. Unfortunately, calculus and physics are the most intensive and they're also the hardest for me.

Sometimes I wish I didn't set such a high standard for myself. :smalltongue:

Syka
2007-11-13, 05:41 PM
*hugs DR* I feel ya, hun. I just got a paper back from my Greek history class with a 44/50. I'm rewriting it because I can't stand that I got a B+ when I know I could get an A. oO My boyfriend was making fun of me for getting upset over it.

I can understand why, though. For us, school is really the only measure of success we have (my job doesn't count since it isn't really a job, just opening the kitchen in the building I live in). For me, at least, school is the only thing I have that shows me I'm doing something with my life and, if I don't do well at that, I don't feel like my life is going well.

So, just take it day-by-day I'd say, and do your best. That's all you can do. I'm sure it will be fine. :smallsmile:

Cheers,
Syka

Sean92k
2007-11-13, 06:10 PM
It's okay, things like this can uncomfort people.I actually made a LGBT thread on another forum. And it got locked... I got banned for a week and another gay person did because there were too many complaints about it :smallannoyed:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-13, 06:30 PM
My confession as follows: i pretend to be of a different sexual orientation,
sometimes to fit in, sometimes for amusement, but mostly for attention. And i
see no problem in this. Slightly creepy?
It's only a few drinks before you stop pretending...

Raiser Blade
2007-11-13, 06:40 PM
*hugs DR* I feel ya, hun. I just got a paper back from my Greek history class with a 44/50. I'm rewriting it because I can't stand that I got a B+ when I know I could get an A. oO My boyfriend was making fun of me for getting upset over it.

I can understand why, though. For us, school is really the only measure of success we have (my job doesn't count since it isn't really a job, just opening the kitchen in the building I live in). For me, at least, school is the only thing I have that shows me I'm doing something with my life and, if I don't do well at that, I don't feel like my life is going well.

So, just take it day-by-day I'd say, and do your best. That's all you can do. I'm sure it will be fine. :smallsmile:

Cheers,
Syka

O_O I really wish i had your problem. School is bleh for me.

Syka
2007-11-13, 06:48 PM
I kind of have a confession.

Most people see me as fairly driven, and I am (as driven as a procrastinator can be). They expect me to do something big with my life, and I will admit to having goals I would like to accomplish.

My confession is this-I would be just as happy being a housewife and mom as I would doing all my goals. Don't get me wrong, I have every intention of attempting to complete my goals and all and any kids are FAR into the future (and I wouldn't stay at home until kids). But, even if I just end up having kids and raising them, I don't think I would regret it in the least or have any less of a fulfilling life. I know what an impact my mom had on my life and I can only hope I can do the same for my children.

And I know if I told anyone this in my real life they would look at me like I was insane. Not because they look down on that life, but because it is so weird coming from me. What can I say, biology seems to have kicked in. This is a revelation that has been coming for some time with me (it began with the inkling months and months and months ago that maybe I'd eventually want to have kids...where as before I didn't even want to entertain the thought).

Brickwall
2007-11-13, 07:01 PM
Syks, I'm pretty sure you know this, but you're the only one who can decide what kind of life is fulfilling for you. Others around you would probably be weirded out because you've placed them under some grand illusion that you were after something else. You might want to let it slide off at some point.

Syka
2007-11-13, 07:20 PM
It's kinda how I explained it to a teacher once: If I don't have kids, I have every intention of having a successful career (in what, I don't know). But, if there are kids, I intend to stay home with them.

I've been hinting to people that later on I want to have kids. I just know people will be like, "You, kids? Hahahaa." Mainly because I was very anti-kids until about...last year?

And I know no one will hold it against me, but I'm sure they'd be surprised. :smallwink: My mom at least knows how I feel about it, and she can't really say anything since when she got pregnant with me she quit her job as a failure analysist for a big tech company in the 80's. Hehe. It runs in the family, I guess. ;)

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-13, 07:24 PM
You know, I of all people, feel the same way about that, Syka. But alas, I'm destined for greater things...

Cyrano
2007-11-13, 07:27 PM
I would be extastic at being allowed to stay home and deal with small, precious things that I love instead of get a real job, as I long as I, you know, don't have to deal with kids.

Volug
2007-11-13, 07:32 PM
I don't have a confession right now
>_>
<_<

Yeah... I'm still not boring though:smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2007-11-13, 07:43 PM
I kind of have a confession.

Most people see me as fairly driven, and I am (as driven as a procrastinator can be). They expect me to do something big with my life, and I will admit to having goals I would like to accomplish.

My confession is this-I would be just as happy being a housewife and mom as I would doing all my goals. Don't get me wrong, I have every intention of attempting to complete my goals and all and any kids are FAR into the future (and I wouldn't stay at home until kids). But, even if I just end up having kids and raising them, I don't think I would regret it in the least or have any less of a fulfilling life. I know what an impact my mom had on my life and I can only hope I can do the same for my children.

And I know if I told anyone this in my real life they would look at me like I was insane. Not because they look down on that life, but because it is so weird coming from me. What can I say, biology seems to have kicked in. This is a revelation that has been coming for some time with me (it began with the inkling months and months and months ago that maybe I'd eventually want to have kids...where as before I didn't even want to entertain the thought).

Syka, I know how you feel, because I've thought about this too (shows how far I think ahead :smallwink:). For me, there is a precedent: my mom got married right out of college, got pregnant with me, got her master's, got pregnant with my brother, got her PhD in Anthropology, and decided to stay home with us...in that order. She was a valedictorian, on the professor track from the age of 3, and she made a choice. It took her parents about ten years to forgive her for "wasting her life". Her perspective was, what could be more important than raising the next generation? I guess maybe I'm biased, but it seems like, you can have a career before, and once your kids are old enough, you can have a career after - your only limit is yourself. You can get an education, you can be a stay-at-home-mom, you can have a career, whatever makes you happy. What irritates me is when people assume it's an either/or situation.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have anyone else raising my children (whenever that time comes, be it five, ten, or twenty years in the future). I can even see myself homeschooling them till a certain age, as my mom has done. So I wouldn't let anyone's expectations change your wants - there's no reason being a stay-at-home mom could be any less fulfilling, worthwhile, or even less of a goal than a career. In some ways, it's MORE, you just don't get paid.

:smallsmile: my mother seems to have instilled strong opinions in me about this. Anyway, I think your desires are totally justified. (so you go girl, don't let anyone stop ya!)

Cyrano
2007-11-13, 09:02 PM
I've never understood this whole "children" business. They're small, whiney, and demanding for about, I don't know, 4 years? Then they're small, sweet, and unconditionally loving, like a puppy, for about, oh, 30 minutes? Then, they are large, surly, and angsty over nothing until they're 30, and if you wanted 30 year olds, you could go get a date.
Theoretically speaking, as a dateless, bitter old man.

Serpentine
2007-11-13, 09:07 PM
Don't forget ugly. Babies are reeeeeeaaaaally ugly. But I assume that when I have my own, suddenly they'll become the most bootiful thing in the world... I hope so, anyway. Don't wanna find myself stuck with an ugly kid :smallwink:

Humm. I don't think I have anything to confess that I didn't already in the other thread...

Cyrano
2007-11-13, 09:09 PM
Ugly, whining, incomprehensible. The trifecta. It's like giving birth to a universe of n00bs.

Sliver_Slave
2007-11-13, 09:13 PM
I honestly must confess.

My goal in life is to do nothing. I want to be one of those people who have absolutely no life, just sit an do nothing, and watch tv. I really have low standards when it comes to myself.

ocato
2007-11-13, 10:02 PM
I am a boy, and also a male, and I wouldn't mind being a stay at home parent. Like, if my wife was all "I'm gonna be careerzor and work hard and be successful" I would totally volunteer to be the stay at home pappa. Maybe I'm progressive and willing to swap gender roles, maybe I'm lazy and I like to cuddlenap with babies, who's to say?

Syka
2007-11-13, 10:15 PM
DR, I totally agree with you. I know I could be just as happy doing either. And I have every intention of finishing my education (I want a PhD in something) and traveling the world before ever having kids. :)

Others, I agree. I pretty much dislike most children at this point in time, but slowly they are beginning to grow on me. As I said, my biology is finally kicking in. I still don't think I'll ever really like a kid until my own (whom I will most likely simultaneously love and hate). Actually kids. I want two, but no more than that (and I will personally have a chat with God if I get triplets...the sadist...).

Ocato, that's pretty cool. :) If my children's dad wanted to stay at home I'm sure we could work out some sort of thing where we switch off at some point. But that's awesome you're like that.

Cheers,
Syka

ocato
2007-11-13, 10:17 PM
Ocato, that's pretty cool. :) If my children's dad wanted to stay at home I'm sure we could work out some sort of thing where we switch off at some point. But that's awesome you're like that.

Don't give me too much credit, it's mostly because I don't really want to work a job. Work is okay, and kids are work. But jobs have bosses who are bossy and jerks who are jerky. The ability to rule ass like a tyrant, armed with cartoons, band-aids, and nerdy indoctrination would far outweigh the loss of a pay check. Also precious moments and all that drek. Whatev.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-13, 10:21 PM
I have several more confessions, since there's a 24-hour cooldown between
anonymous emails.

-I tend to generalize groups based on one individual. There are many religions,
organizations and such that I discriminate against because there was one zealot
or ass who I met.

-I'm starting to enjoy /b/ more than gitp. I think I need help. Or moar mudkipz.

-Probably due to the above, I can look at corpses that have been mutilated in
horrible ways and not flinch or be disgusted at all, but talk about a needle,
syringe, or even a pin and I start getting squeamish.

-I play and enjoy WoW, but often tell people that I think it sucks and is
repetitive, dull, and monotonous. Whether that's true or not, I'm a hypocrite.

Remember; Confessions posted in quotes do not represent the views of the poster. ...Liking /b/ over gitp....

Amotis
2007-11-13, 10:27 PM
It's a release. Or an addiction. Or both. Either way it's healthy I think. At least for me. Or not.

Micate
2007-11-13, 10:27 PM
-I play and enjoy WoW, but often tell people that I think it sucks and is
repetitive, dull, and monotonous. Whether that's true or not, I'm a hypocrite.

You are allowed to have your cake and eat it too you know. WoW is a great game, once you get past the fact that it's a horrible game (and vice versa).

Jokes
2007-11-13, 10:47 PM
I confess that I have never played WoW. Nor do I have any intention to. For no real reason at all.

I'm with Ocato on the parenting thing. But I would rather give them to the missus for the first 4 of years, then I get them for the next 14. Just too damn lazy to get a "real" job (hence my Bachelors degree in Agriculture).

Syka
2007-11-13, 10:53 PM
Oh yeah, any kids I have are going to be huuuuge nerds. My boy is a second generation nerd, and we both have different (though occasionally overlapping) nerd tendencies. If we ever have spawn, the sheer nerdy/dorky/geekiness of the spawnlings will be incredible.

Heck, my friends dubbed me Queen of the Nerds and he was independantly dubbed King of the Dorks, both before we got to know each other and by different groups of friends.

Can that be a confession? That one reason I'm planning on having spawn is to spread the nerdiness around? Hehehe....

Cheers,
Syka

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-13, 10:55 PM
Any kid I have will have to be trained to be able to tactfully argue his way out of any situation.

Cyrano
2007-11-13, 10:58 PM
Any kid I have will have to be trained to be able to tactfully argue his way out of any situation.

What about liver-eating? Torture? Amazingly useless yet awesome sporting skills relying on physics and the application of "bouncy"? Do they get those?

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-13, 11:06 PM
Naturally.

My eldest shall inherit my Pogostick.

reorith
2007-11-13, 11:06 PM
i have no ambition. also, i'm the one that set the iphones in the apple store to a n awesome website.

Midnight Son
2007-11-14, 01:02 AM
Oh yeah, any kids I have are going to be huuuuge nerds. My boy is a second generation nerd, and we both have different (though occasionally overlapping) nerd tendencies. If we ever have spawn, the sheer nerdy/dorky/geekiness of the spawnlings will be incredible.

Heck, my friends dubbed me Queen of the Nerds and he was independantly dubbed King of the Dorks, both before we got to know each other and by different groups of friends.

Can that be a confession? That one reason I'm planning on having spawn is to spread the nerdiness around? Hehehe....

Cheers,
SykaYou are so totally screwed! When your kids decide to rebel and become superstar NFL/NBA/Whatever sport jocks, you'll be left only to wonder where you went wrong as parents. Even worse, if you have a daughter, she's gonna become a famous pop singer. What a horrible fate. I feel sorry for you already.:smallyuk:

Quincunx
2007-11-14, 03:45 AM
Genitalia make us all stupid. We females just resist for longer.

SMEE
2007-11-14, 03:53 AM
Pregnancy... a dream so far away. :smallfrown:

I don't care what my offspring will decide to be in his life, I just want to have him/her. :smallsmile:

Swedish chef
2007-11-14, 05:13 AM

I think it's more the hormones that makes us all go bonkers now and then :D

And speaking of hormones: Syka: Be proud of you Queen of nerds title. Geek girls are catnip for geek boys you know :D

ocato
2007-11-14, 05:19 AM
Geek girls are catnip for geek boys you know :D

The existance of geek girls is a highly theoretical concept. But trust me, it is being looked into by top men.

Swedish chef
2007-11-14, 05:31 AM
The existance of geek girls is a highly theoretical concept. But trust me, it is being looked into by top men.

Sorry to beat you too it but I have confirmed the existance of geek girl a long time ago. Many of them I am priviliged to count as friends and many others I have met and gamed with.

Also as the last nail in the coffin I would like to point your attention to http://geekgirl.blip.tv but i advice you to start a coupple of episodes back because she is now in the middle of a 50th episode spectacular so 5-6 episodes back should be a good start (and the last 2 episodes contain somewhat strong language). But its a great show. I recommend it to all.

Extra_Crispy
2007-11-14, 06:37 AM
I am a boy, and also a male, and I wouldn't mind being a stay at home parent. Like, if my wife was all "I'm gonna be careerzor and work hard and be successful" I would totally volunteer to be the stay at home pappa. Maybe I'm progressive and willing to swap gender roles, maybe I'm lazy and I like to cuddlenap with babies, who's to say?

I am the same way. I would like nothing more than to have 2-3 kids (depends on what the mother of my children would want). And not just because I am lazy (which I am) but I LOVE kids. My nephew just had a birthday and I enjoyed his party a lot. Espically hearing his (much) younger sisiter yell "I want to see uncle steven" (very clear but still with that little kid voice and slur) And then when my sister's youngest, Ben, fell asleep in my arms as I rocked him and sang to the music that was playing. :smallbiggrin: I could have sat there singing with him in my arms for the rest of my life. My problem is I have no misses and no girlfriend or even any hopes right now.

Maybe my sister will give up one. :smallwink:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-14, 07:29 AM
And that's one of the reasons I don't believe I'm a guy...

*I'm scared out of my mind for my own mental health. I have been hearing very strange voices in various ways, and it's shifted from single voices to mindless, incoherent chatter. It happened when my girlfriend of several years was ready to let me go, and I was not. I was in such a horrible spiraling depression that I was almost kicked out of my school because of my terrible grades. Now I'm on a medication that reduces my depression and in turn, my psychotic side effects but on occasion I don't take my medication and the symptoms return. I often find myself thinking about my ex in such a way that makes me think killing her or myself may help when not on the medication. I also now begin to see the shadows in the corners of my eyes moving, turning into horrible writhing black tentacles and other horrors. I havn't told anyone but a few friends and my parents, but even then it took a long time to get it out to them. Sometimes I think the antidepressants do help the depression but that only allows other negative emotions to spring up and I can get very angry and it just makes me feel like a savage.

*I'm also finding myself really attracted to someone I know over the internet.
We've exchanged pictures of ourselves in the nude and other than the both of us being very openly sexually attracted to each other, it's made us even closer friends. She is in love with someone else, but I think I may be falling in love with her myself.

*I can't stand myself. Every time I look in the mirror there's spite, I hate my
brain and I hate my life and I just hate myself so much it hurts. The only
reason I havn't killed myself is because I know it would make my friends so sad.

First of all, is your name Jackie Estacado, cause that could explain the tentacles.

I'm very much a nice guy when you meet me. I'm a very good listener and I rarely give much advice, instead, I let someone come to the conclusion themselves. Normally, this makes my friends come talk to me about their problems or send their friends to talk to me.

Recently, a girl I knew who will henceforth be known as Girl A was having
trouble with her boyfriend. She thought he would get up during the night and do things. The night before she spoke to me, she caught her boyfriend sitting in her roommate's bed talking to her. When she asked me what to do, I simply told her to try sleeping on the edge of the bed so that if he wants to get up, he'll wake you up to do so. Once that happens, just grab him and hug him close and he won't get out of bed.

I know now, however, that her boyfriend is sleeping around with a few people(two of which I know very well). But I refrain from warning Girl A. Does this make me a monster?

No, it sounds like you're best quality is keeping secrets, it is probably also your worst. Mingling too much into people's affairs would ruin that confidence in you, so you should help them find out the truth for themselves in a way that doesn't directly link back to you. I think you did the best thing, by giving her advise to find out for herself.

Serpentine
2007-11-14, 07:49 AM
Anonymous the First: Have you told your doctor about these symptoms? I believe they indicate various mental health problems, not least Schizophrenia, well beyond depression. If you haven't, do so as soon as you can.

Tormsskull
2007-11-14, 10:08 AM
What the heck is hookah? I must be getting old, though I never was into that particular subculture. PM me the answer if it violates rules.

Here is my confession:

I really can't stand people who blame events of their youth on the fact that they were young. They say things like "I was young and stupid" or some other similiar thing.

From the point I was 13 or so, I took total responsibility for my actions. I didn't do everything perfectly, I could have gotten better grades in school, I could have gone to an awesome University, etc, etc. But I don't cry, moan, or complain about these things to other people and then blame the fact that I was young and didn't know.

I get seethingly angry at the people who I have spoken to when they were young (say 13-18), I advised them not to do things because they would regret it, they did it anyway, and then 5+ years later they are lamenting their fates. I think such people should be branded with "I Told You So" across their foreheads.

Jack Squat
2007-11-14, 10:15 AM
here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah)'s the wiki on what a hookah is. It's basically a type of pipe. Normally tobacco is used, but obviously other substances can and are used.

Trog
2007-11-14, 10:36 AM
*sings* My name is Hookah. I live on the second floor. I live upstairs from you. Yes I think you've seen me before.

Dragonrider
2007-11-14, 11:42 AM
I am the same way. I would like nothing more than to have 2-3 kids (depends on what the mother of my children would want). And not just because I am lazy (which I am) but I LOVE kids. My nephew just had a birthday and I enjoyed his party a lot. Espically hearing his (much) younger sisiter yell "I want to see uncle steven" (very clear but still with that little kid voice and slur) And then when my sister's youngest, Ben, fell asleep in my arms as I rocked him and sang to the music that was playing. :smallbiggrin: I could have sat there singing with him in my arms for the rest of my life. My problem is I have no misses and no girlfriend or even any hopes right now.

When I was 14, I was a nanny for my aunt's 4-month-old daughter for three weeks, because she (the aunt, not my cousin) was teaching an hour-long class every day and was short on hands. After the first couple days, when I was figuring out the tricks to keep her from crying...I remember thinking as I watched her sleeping on my shouder, I could do this. Not yet, obviously, because I was still relieved to hand Jessie off to her mom when my hour was up, but I could see myself in 10 years.

@Syka, I agree about the travel thing! I see my mom as a really good role model for this (well, everything...I have an amazing mom) - before she had kids, she lived in Kenya and England, and when I was two we lived in Belize for a year and a half. World travel has always been really important to me.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-14, 07:14 PM
Anyway: I tend to have thoughts i shouldn't have (such as illegal things or perverted ones). Like i think about doing things that I know i would never do,
and that i shouldn't even be thinking about, and yet they pop up in the front of
my mind anyway. I have no problem pushing them out of my mind, but they leave me feeling...dirty, embarrassed, and mad at myself for thinking them. I can't seem to help it, they just pop up when I am mad, or when something manages to hit a keyword or something in my head. As I said, i would NEVER do any of the things, but i still feel terrible for thinking them.

I'm sorry to say... you're human. Course, if I even said half the things that popped into my head at times, I'd have to see a shrink...

phoenixineohp
2007-11-14, 07:23 PM

Awwww....
*checks age. 32. Dang it!*

ForzaFiori
2007-11-14, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry to say... you're human. Course, if I even said half the things that popped into my head at times, I'd have to see a shrink...

Hm...i gotta slightly disagree with you Rex. It depends on how far the person takes it. Like if the thought "hey, that person looks good, i wanna have sex with them" thats ok, its normal. but if they were like "hey, that person looks good, if i can get them by consent i'll rape them" thats a little less than normal. If it goes to far, or if it gets to uncomfortable with the thoughts, the person might wanna see a shrink, or some other professional.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-15, 12:25 AM
I'm the "imaginary response" girl/guy/thing.

I have little patience for depressed people.

I have a tendency to post first think second.

I have a tendency to read through my post several times, and if I find a
mistake, correct it immediately, and then hope nobody saw it. I get really
pissed off when people don't even try to use correct grammar or spelling. A mistake here and there is okay, but if it looks like you ran it through
babelfish, made all of the capital letters lowercase, and put a space before
every punctuation mark, then you start to annoy me.

I've attended one or more GiantITP Meetup[s].

I've lied in an anonymous confession in the previous thread.

I totally agree when it comes to the grammar stuff...

Sliver_Slave
2007-11-15, 01:29 PM
I totally agree when it comes to the grammar stuff...

As it turns out, I also have little patience for depressed people (couldn't find the original poster). I was even impatient with people who were trying to make me feel better one day when I felt like jumping off a cliff.

Brickwall
2007-11-15, 02:34 PM
As it turns out, I also have little patience for depressed people (couldn't find the original poster). I was even impatient with people who were trying to make me feel better one day when I felt like jumping off a cliff.

Your life must be hard, having no patience for yourself. :smallconfused:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-15, 03:20 PM
I'm running out of reasons to stay alive.
We can try to understand The New York Times' effect on man...

Syka
2007-11-15, 05:58 PM
I'm running out of reasons to stay alive.

I could give you any number of reasons as to why you should live. I won't, because I know they will all seem like empty words. Without knowing you or situation I can't give you any concrete reasons...but I'm sure if you talk with your friends and family, you would find some reasons right there as to why you should stay alive.

I can say in all honesty, if you were/are my friend...I would be devestated to lose you, whether it be at your own hand or otherwise. I will repost a blog I posted for my friends on Facebook and Myspace after a girl where I live attempted suicide.

(The title was Suicide)

No, I'm not going to do it. But I want to make sure none of you or your friends do it either.

Some girl in the place where I live tried today, as did another kid just down the street in one of the dorms (and neither succeeded). I can not begin to fathom what the family is going through, but I can sympathize to some degree with friends. I once had a friend who decided to trick me in to thinking he was going to kill himself...He ended up having a lot more problems than just that, but thinking he was honestly going to do it was terrifying.

Just...don't. Call me, call a family member, heck...Call a radio station or a store. Just something to keep you from doing it. Whatever you think might make it worth it, doesn't. You won't be able to get your life back and trust me- we'll miss you!

You guys are my heart and soul. I'm not sure what I would do without any of you guys. :\

<3 Syka

My PM box is always open. If you like, I can also give you my AIM. Anything that is said between us, stays between us. The Crisis Center phone lines are an amazing tool. I know a good number of people who volunteer for my local one and...anything you ever need to talk about, they are there and they do not judge.

Cheers,
Syka

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-16, 05:15 AM
Hi, it's drunk-dialed lonely guy again. I tried the interweb dating site and
three girls returned my emails. One says shes in a relationship, but is willing
to talk to me still (sketchy much?), one is still pretty low contact so I have
little idea what is going on there, and the third is either cold and
uninterested, or as socially inept as I am, or both. My confession is that I'm
starting to wonder, at this point, if a real doll wouldn't be a more efficient
use of my time and money.

Be casual and charming and don't be afraid to have a friend, if not a great girlfriend. You have to get into a girl's Five or Top 8 before you can get into their pants, and if that's what your only goal, just, then I really can't help you. Work on getting patience and into peoples heads, and out of your shell.

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-16, 07:41 PM
My confession!
I'm more happy that Regina and I made up than I thought I would be

Don Julio Anejo
2007-11-16, 08:15 PM
Be casual and charming and don't be afraid to have a friend, if not a great girlfriend. You have to get into a girl's Five or Top 8 before you can get into their pants, and if that's what your only goal, just, then I really can't help you. Work on getting patience and into peoples heads, and out of your shell.
Duuude... a girl will almost never sleep with a friend, and even if she does, she will regret it and hate herself for a while.

Pyrian
2007-11-16, 08:21 PM
Duuude... a girl will almost never sleep with a friend, and even if she does, she will regret it and hate herself for a while.
We should get a Batman-like sky projector for Serpentine. "Your forum needs you!"

Syka
2007-11-16, 08:23 PM
*twitchtwitchtwitch*

I think it was...Serp who addressed the 'friend bin' thing so passionately on the RW&A thread but...

Stop with the friend bin already! *twitch* It does not exist. The guy I am dating now was a friend before we started dating. Also, I have had friends whom I would have been willing to date at some point in time (not in recent times, mainly because I find they end up doing something, such as drinking, smoking, or drugs, which I would not like in my partner).

If the attraction is there, it's there. Being a friend won't change that. If the attraction isn't there, it isn't. The friend bin is just an excuse to make both parties feel better.

Let me reiterate: Friend bin does not exist.

Cheers,
Syka

EDIT: Pyrian: that made me giggle. Does that make me Robin to Serp's Batman?

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-16, 08:23 PM
I can't stand the pop band called The Fray. Their most recent single, Look After
You, came on the radio as i was on my way home and I pulled over and cried.
There is no one to look after me. I have no one to look after. Life sucks at
twenty-four.

... I'm still crying at "How to Save a Life"...

*Sigh* Couldn't just send the message in the E-mail...

the driving force withing my life… is lazyness.

i went to university and alot of people commented that this was a big and hard step, but in my mind it was the logical path to getting a job that beats working for a living.

in my jobs so far, i have been praised for the improvements and efficencies i have built into the system, but i just did this to make my life easier.

why is this bad? because i think i can do more (so much more) but i don’t… because i’m content, and that’s enough :(

2) i have a sexual perversion, and it’s not one of the politically correct ones. i’ll never involve someone who isn’t fully understanding and willing, and i’ll never endanger anyone through it… but i’m worried that someone will find out and i’ll be demonised for it :(

Again, I can totally relate on both levels. My shortcuts are often more efficient to the companies I work for. There's no harm in Win-Win.

And as for the second one...

Don Julio Anejo
2007-11-16, 08:28 PM
Our definitions on what a friend is could be different... If there's attraction, I usually know right away and will either screw it up at some point, or I won't be satisfied being "just friends." Just friends is usually just that IMO - there's no attraction, people just like hanging out and talking and stuff.

Syka
2007-11-16, 08:34 PM
Our definitions on what a friend is could be different... If there's attraction, I usually know right away and will either screw it up at some point, or I won't be satisfied being "just friends." Just friends is usually just that IMO - there's no attraction, people just like hanging out and talking and stuff.

Not necessarily true, me and my guys are living proof of that. We've been a 'group' for about...three or so years now (it's about 3-4 guys plus me). It wasn't until I started dating my boyfriend (who became a fringe member of the main group, mainly only hanging out with the guy he lived with) that I found out that evidently...well, all of them have had some sort of crush on me at some point or other (at least two were actively irritated that my boy got me...which actually led to some funny stories). And, to be honest, at one point I liked one of them. So, there is (or has been) attraction amongst our group, but I still count them as some of my best friends, and we're all still together.

Now, I can understand how this won't work for some people, but it isn't impossible for it to happen.

Cheers,
Syka

Dragonrider
2007-11-16, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I had a HUGE crush on my (male) best friend for a while. No longer, and we're still close friends - it's not an either/or thing.

Serpentine
2007-11-16, 09:40 PM
We should get a Batman-like sky projector for Serpentine. "Your forum needs you!"
Well shucks. Done'd :smallbiggrin:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h287/serpentine16/serpsymbol.gif

Don, see my sig for everything I have to say on the matter.

Regarding that second confession, if you're content, what does it matter?

Midnight Son
2007-11-17, 02:21 AM
Sorry ladies, but I have already proven in the past that the friend bin does indeed exist; just not to the extent that some would have us believe. It is possible to date a friend and one of my best relationships was with a woman who had been "just a friend" for years.

But, if you will recall, it was to me that a very good friend said, "I wish I had a boyfriend just like you...but not you."

It absolutely does exist. You cannot refute it. Nothing you ever say or do can take back that one phrase that was uttered by a woman to her best friend.

Serpentine
2007-11-17, 02:40 AM
But, if you will recall, it was to me that a very good friend said, "I wish I had a boyfriend just like you...but not you."That just means that she's not attracted to you in that way. It has nothing to do with you being classified as "Friend". If it does, then it's a very rare exception.

Raiser Blade
2007-11-17, 02:41 AM
I like the fray... that's my confession for now.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-17, 02:48 AM
With my friends we have the 'I'm a (insert term for gender) and you are a (insert term for gender), what are we going to do about it' talk. Then things are good. There have been few exceptions.

And yes I have dated people who were previously 'just' friends. One person I thought I would never date, yet a year later, guess who I was involved with.

However, I can not speculate on the results of this method, since I have no standing to give relationship advice and my data pools are skewed. All I can say is that I don't think that the friend bin really exists.

Midnight Son
2007-11-17, 02:49 AM
That just means that she's not attracted to you in that way. It has nothing to do with you being classified as "Friend". If it does, then it's a very rare exception.
Let's break that down a bit. She told me that she was looking for me in a boyfriend. Who on earth can be more me than me? I was single. If she wanted a boyfriend just like me, she could have had one. I'm sorry, but that phrase cannot be interpreted in any way other than, "You are my friend and will never be anything else, even though you are everything I look for in a man." I'm sorry, milady, but you are wrong. The friend bin does exist. It just isn't all encompassing and definite as some would have us think.

Serpentine
2007-11-17, 02:54 AM
I disagree. She wants you, but with that "something" that, for lack of a better term, turns her on. Frankly, it could simply be that she doesn't find you attractive. Anyway, this Friend Bin crap implies that there is absolutely no chance of her ever liking you in that way unless you cease being friends. This is utter bunk. We are not automatrons, we can change our minds.

Midnight Son
2007-11-17, 02:57 AM
She never did.

We're derailing the thread, so I will follow up with my own confession:

Amy Lee rocks my world!

That is all.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-17, 02:58 AM
I still think there were other ways that could have come about. She is looking for someone like you, but maybe with some differences. Maybe like you, but doesn't know her as well as you do. Maybe she didn't feel like endangering the friendship. Maybe someone with a similar personality but different looks or behaviors or a different job. There are several different ways of looking at it.

I've seen my friends in relationships and how they treated their partner and wished that my partner was like that, or like them. That does not mean that I want that person, or want to disrupt that relationship. Just someone similar in certain ways. And really, if we get along with our friends and get along with our partners, why wouldn't we look for more people 'like' us, and 'like' them. We aren't going to have a good friend who we care about and say, 'I'm looking to date someone on the total opposite side of the scale from you'.

She did say she wanted someone like you, not an exact copy. So there is room for change.

You could be pleased that she sees things in you that are important enough to her, or that she appreciates and enjoys enough that she actively looks for it in other people.

Edit: Addition

And sometimes these things don't even make sense to us. I was talking to a friend at a time when I was crying my eyes out because of something my partner had done to me. I was so hurt and upset, and yet still felt strongly for this partner. My friend sat there and gently wiped my tears away, comforting me and listening. That's when I realized clearly that I had fallen for the wrong one. Why did I feel for the person who was making me cry and not the one who there for me while I was upset? The one who would obviously be a better choice? I knew that in all logical sense I should like that friend, want to be with them and fall for them. Yet, I just didn't feel that way. And I can't make myself feel that way. So yes, I look for someone like them, someone who has those amazing traits, but I know that things won't work with that actual person.

Midnight Son
2007-11-17, 03:13 AM
Phoenix, the phrase used was "just like you"

Don't get me wrong y'all. I'm not saying women put people in categories of friend without a chance or loverboy or whatever on a regular basis. All I am saying is that it has happened to me on one occasion. As such there is such a thing as friend bin, but in my experience, it is not a common thing. Friends absolutely make the best lovers, since one is already comfortable with them and doesn't need to go through the whole nervewracking getting-to-know-you or does-she-doesn't-she part.

Pyrian
2007-11-17, 03:53 AM
Dude, you're putting waaaaaay too much stock in one thing one person once said. For starters, she was probably lying. 90% of the "friend bin" myths start exactly this way: "I like you, pity you're ugly, but I can't possibly say that." (48% of statistics are made up on the spot. :smallbiggrin: )

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-17, 07:05 AM
I think you're simply interpreting it over-literally. No two people are identical, but when two people are very similar we will say they are "just like" each other. I'm sure she meant that you have a lot of the qualities she would look for in an ideal partner, but she just doesn't feel the "click" with you. I know that's hard to accept, and I think you may be subconsciously creating a mythology around it in order to avoid accepting it.

Both my current and previous girlfriends were my best friends before we were together, and I've seen the same pattern happen many times with other people I know.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-11-17, 08:08 AM
guess who I was involved with.

How many guesses do we get? And do I still have my phone a friend and fifty fifty?

*Death finds some of these questions tricky*

Brickwall
2007-11-17, 11:40 AM
Didn't we have this debate in RW&A2? Because I remember Serpentine saying that exact same thing. Of course, then people started overextending the metaphor, and things just got screwed up. However, I think we do have some conclusive evidence (some right here) that just because women (or people, possibly) can change their minds doesn't mean the "friend bin" doesn't exist. It's just not totally impenetrable, is all.

Of course, perhaps the answer is, "Yes it is, but not all friends are placed in the friend bin because there is existing attraction". Occam's Razor isn't helping us at all here, so I can't agree with either one. Just getting valid possibilities that explain things out there.

Oh, I do have a confession:
I rule ass.

And if you thought this was going to have some tearful rant about my life sucking, don't even pretend you know anything about me if we ever talk, because obviously you don't.

Midnight Son
2007-11-17, 12:22 PM
I know that's hard to accept, and I think you may be subconsciously creating a mythology around it in order to avoid accepting it.Heh Heh.

I accepted it long ago. She's been married to a great guy for years now and I would not wish anything else for her. As I said, we were best friends. The fact that I had feelings she did not was the reason she added the, "but not you" bit. She knew how I felt. At the time she said it we were talking about some pretty deep things and it just came out of her mouth. I sat staring at her in utter shock as she paused for a bit while her brain caught up to what she had just said. When it did, she inserted the addendum.

And Pyrian...:smallfurious: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/FISH_SLAP_by_carnival.gif I may not be quite the stud I was back then, but even she said I was quite easy on the eyes.http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/cool.gif

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-17, 01:39 PM
I don't know that I'd so much put it as a "friend bin," but there are some girls who are quite uncomfortable beign in relationships with friends or, sometimes, even people who care about them. Hanging out in the Goth/Darkwave scene, I can assure they're not that small in number. Their friends are for emotional attachments and lasting relationsips, while their boy/girlfriends are for sex until it gets boring. They don't want to put a friend, who they care about, in the latter position, both because it will be awkward and endangers the lasting, emotional side of things. There is nothing wrong with this viewpoint, I held it for a long while, and it's probably an even split between males and females.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-17, 07:22 PM
I just flunked out of college. I have 90$ to my name. I have no family I can
turn to within a very... very long distance.
I'm having extreme mental breakdowns, and the one person I decide to admit to
takes me for a grain of salt.
I've been in a mood of extreme escapism, trying to hide everything, pretend
everything is fine. Eventually, it will hit me that it's not.
I'm currently, actually, am not depressed. I know I will be soon though, and I
don't know what to do.

The depression thread doesn't have an anonymous email outlet, so, I'm turning
this to confessions. It sort of is.

I know how you feel...

my iq is high enough to be considered gifted, and i often look at people with
'average' iqs/intellects and think of them as inferior. i dont see myself as a
superhuman because of it, but i see them as a bit sub-human. i'm totally wrong,
i know, but i feel i need to get this off my chest... another thing, i hate
boosting my own ego, whatsoever, so this is even harder to come to terms with.
people struggle to learn things i was well versed with several years earlier,
they struggle to read simple sentences when i could read near flawlessly at 6-7.

also, sorry for all lowercase, but my shift key doesnt work at the moment.

You know, as I read the first line, I was thinking... but you cleared that up at the end... Course, I was told I had a good IQ, but nothing along the nubers people list. I tell you, I have a hard time keeping with the stuff everyone should know, addition and subtraction, word association, and well, just the first and second grade stuff.

I think anyone has the ability to do extraordinary things, and when denied that, people become miserable and stupid. Knowing six different languages doesn't make you smart, it shows that you have strengths in that area. Back to my Math and Word problems, I worked around them in weird ways where teacher would always ask for my work, but never mark my answers wrong, why? Because I do all the logical steps in my head. I know how it works. I'm completely stupid when it comes to names, but I can remember details from a conversation years ago. I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't take people at face value. Being smart and knowing how to live are two totally separate things...

Personally, I respect Wisdom and Empathy much more than Intelligence and Knowledge.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-17, 08:05 PM
Not a shameless bump...

Me again! The girl who is 'seeing someone' asked me if I wanted to catch a show
at this nightclub in a couple of hours with her sister, brother in law, and
their friends. Apparently the person she is seeing won't be there. I am
freakishly nervous and I need to make a decision. If I go I will be meeting her
for the first time, getting a big dose of immediate family, and it will be very
uncomfortable. I mean, I'd like to meet her and see whats up, but this situation
seems very unfavorable. Do I go?

Go, have a good time, and remember, there is no friend bin, just a waiting list.

Serpentine
2007-11-17, 11:03 PM
Go, have a good time, and remember, there is no friend bin, just a waiting list.Ah, so that's what I've been trying to articulate...
I agree. There's no reason why you shouldn't go and enjoy yourself. Chances are, she likes you (lowercase "l") and wants to be friends with you. Enjoy this, make that new friend. If she does happen to want more than that, don't encourage her, but if you want a relationship and she does too, make sure that she ends the one before starting another.

Dragonrider
2007-11-17, 11:14 PM
they struggle to read simple sentences when i could read near flawlessly at 6-7.

Does it make you feel better to know that I was reading at 4 and started "The Hobbit" before my 6th birthday?:smallwink:

I dunno. Everyone has the potential for intelligence (or...most people); it's just whether you choose to make use of it. Intelligence isn't just ability to memorize, read, and do math, although that's part of it; it also has something to do with the ability to think analytically and not follow blindly. It's being able to think for yourself and recognize problems and solutions - so smart people tend to be better at math, but it's not cut and dried.

I try not to judge people on that, though sometimes I, too, get frustrated with people whom I feel cannot keep up with me - which is my problem, not theirs. After a while you learn to relate to people on their own level. It's not dumbing down or patronizing; it's making them comfortable with you and learning to not intimidate. It's not too hard for me most of the time because I'm generally a quiet person...but it's impossible not to be "different".

...now I feel like I'm bragging. :smalltongue: sorry. I would say the majority of the people who stick around these forums are fairly intellectual and intelligent themselves, so we're all in good company. :smallwink:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-18, 04:53 PM
I am incredibly lazy. Now I'm quite smart, enough so that I could probably
fulfil my ambition of going to medschool and possibly even (as I live in
Britain) go to Oxbridge, or so my teachers tell me. But I have no motivation.
I mean, I want to become a doctor more than anything, but the reality of how
hard I'll have to work refuses to sink in. And I'm arrogant, so arrogant - I
often have to stop myself thinking poorly of my friends when they don't do as
well in tests etc as I do, or being surprised when they do better.

Well, school isn't a challenge, and so you've grown bored and got a big head. Been there, still lookin' for a cure.

Crilley
2007-11-18, 06:58 PM
My confession is only a confession because I haven't told anyone else, but its something I like to laugh about now.

One time, there was this girl, and she was really into me. Only, I didn't realise it, being the naïve kind of guy I am. Now, one day we went out to dinner, just the two of us and she decided to pay. She had bought me FLOWERS and a NECK CHAIN, which must have been pretty expensive. We went to the top of the hill to look over the city and I noticed she was standing really close, but didn't think anything of it. Then we went back to my place and hung out for a bit. Eventually when she wanted some special rumpy time, I told her "Sorry, I don't do casual sex.".

Hahaha. At the time I felt really bad. Somehow we stayed friends and ended up dating, its now ended on bad terms though.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-20, 08:41 PM
i have a "what if" girl in my life. it affects me more then i would like to
admit. but my life isn't in order and her's is going to change very soon.
which will make her also the "one who got away." and that saddens me.
I guess it's time to move on. Do what I do when that happens, sit in a bathtub crying for a week. Of course, my advice isn't known for it's quality...

Eldritch Knight
2007-11-20, 10:53 PM
Actually, this time around, I've got one.

I'm currently finding myself in the Post-College What-The-Hell-Am-I-Going-To-Do-With-My-Life confusion. I've spent the past four years working towards my BRE and now I'm finding myself wondering 'What's the point?' I have no applicable experience in my field, and I have no desire to go back to school for a more marketable degree. To top it off, I'm getting married in a year and a half, and I've got very little money in my bank account. I've been told by enough people that this is normal, but I still find myself being EXTREMELY frustrated about the fact that my life seems to be going nowhere fast.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-11-21, 08:43 AM
EK, what are your hobbies? If they really are your hobbies(wait, singular is hobby, so multiple is hobbies? right?) you have experience in them, find out if there are jobs involving them, and a good diploma(results? wtf is the translation???) always helps when being interviewed for an job even though it is not for the job you want to do.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-21, 11:41 AM
I apologize for the pun in the title.

Hi again, it's me, 'Mr. Nice Guy'.

I recently had a discussion with Girl A that led to me slipping about of
information about another girl--we shall call her Girl B--who had been sleeping
around with Girl A's boyfriend. Turning someone in for their wrong-doings gave
me such a rush, and I know plenty of secrets about my other friends. I've come
to an impasse, however. I want to help them all with their problems, but I also
find myself thinking about the things I could do to damage them or their
reputation.

My confession is this: I find myself enjoying the thought of ruining someone
else for no other reason than to watch them crumble. I'm afraid to entertain
thoughts like that for long, because I'm very much an impulsive person when it
comes to thinks that please me. Am I doing the right thing?

By suppressing your urge to completely and utterly screw someone over? Maybe, I'm not really an ethical type person...

The_Librarian
2007-11-21, 02:45 PM
Actually, this time around, I've got one.

I'm currently finding myself in the Post-College What-The-Hell-Am-I-Going-To-Do-With-My-Life confusion. I've spent the past four years working towards my BRE and now I'm finding myself wondering 'What's the point?' I have no applicable experience in my field, and I have no desire to go back to school for a more marketable degree. To top it off, I'm getting married in a year and a half, and I've got very little money in my bank account. I've been told by enough people that this is normal, but I still find myself being EXTREMELY frustrated about the fact that my life seems to be going nowhere fast.

I spent 3 years studying to be (gasp) a librarian. Now I'm an admin. I love my job. I didn't manage to get the job I aimed for, and spent a year doing less-than-satisfactory temping before I found something I really enjoyed that also set me up for a more secure future.

The point of the studies isn't just the qualification. I'll bet that you've learnt a shedload of other stuff about dealing with people, compromise and not sweating the big stuff (also, how to write a decent essay in 2 hours with no sleep). The frustration is bad. There's been a lot of tears. You will get through it. You might have to take on some undesirable work for a bit, but hey, you'll be saving up for something amazing, and by getting out there, you might even find a job you love.

I confess that I am a chocoholic.

Sliver_Slave
2007-11-22, 05:51 PM
another confession:

There's a girl at school, and I can talk to her about anything, to my tendency to talk to myself about food when I'm alone, to something embarrassing I did in class, to why my homework is so dumb, to my weird music, preferences, and she keeps it all to herself. I can even talk to her about my opinions on sex, but when it comes to talking about how I like her to her, I freeze up. i can talk to her about absolutely anything, but herself. I find it kinda strange.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-22, 06:00 PM
Crilley: I am actually rather glad that you two did end up dating, even if it ended badly. Because I think that is the worst response I've heard yet. I understand if you weren't going to go for it, but there had to be a better way to say it. Yikes. I hope she had a laugh over how oblivious you were.

I'll file that under the argument that sometimes you do have to wack guys over the head with a hammer for them to get the message. Not tiny taps...

Edit: @V That is actually very common. Every time I post in one of those "Explain your user name" threads, about 3-5 more people click in. :smalltongue:

Mr. Nice Guy:
Sure, you'd be a great friend if you destroy them for your own satisfaction. No, wait a moment....

Crilley
2007-11-22, 06:34 PM
Crilley: I am actually rather glad that you two did end up dating, even if it ended badly. Because I think that is the worst response I've heard yet. I understand if you weren't going to go for it, but there had to be a better way to say it. Yikes. I hope she had a laugh over how oblivious you were.

We did laugh about it later on, but at the time she just kinda... went quiet, then up and left. Thats when I figured it out, haha. I still laugh about it to this day, just how I could miss every single sign like that.

EDIT: In another fit of... I don't know, blonde syndrome, I only just notice that your name is actually Phoenix, forwards then backwards. I previously saw the word phoenix then a random string of letters

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-22, 06:46 PM
Where's the chart?

P
H
O
E
N
I
P H O E N I X I N E O H P
I
N
E
O
H
P

Pyrian
2007-11-22, 07:04 PM
I want, in theory, to make a LiveJournal post of the things I'm most thankful for, but I'm deeply ashamed of so many of them. :smalleek:

Sir_Norbert
2007-11-23, 08:18 AM
We did laugh about it later on, but at the time she just kinda... went quiet, then up and left. Thats when I figured it out, haha. I still laugh about it to this day, just how I could miss every single sign like that.
Hey, there's no need to feel bad about it. The problem with "signs" is that they could mean a number of things, and sometimes you'll find yourself interpreting them one way because that's what you want them to mean, and other times you'll convince yourself that you're doing that when actually they really do mean what you think.....

I've told this story before, I know, but my girlfriend was trying to let me know about her feelings for me for two years before I was told plainly by a mutual friend.

Logic
2007-11-26, 03:48 AM
I confess that I think of Em Blackleaf like a sister, and become agitated everytime someone posts a crush on her. (The same way a protective older brother becomes agitated.)

And I hardly know little Em. :smallconfused:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-26, 08:53 AM
I have never read Fellowship of the Ring. After seeing the first of the movies,
I thought I should read the books before the other movies came out, so my Mom
took them out from the library (she works there, so it's easier to have her take
things out than go ourselves). But my brother snatched up FotR before I could,
so I started with Two Towers, then went on to Return of the King while he was
still slogging through it. As it happened, he never finished it before it was
due back, and I've never gotten around to reading it.
Seriously? That book was confusing as hell, I could never get half-way through the book before going on to do something better with my time, like stare directly at the sun.

I've abused the anonymity of the internet to make person attacks on people. And
I'm not the type anybody would ever expect to even think about it, ever. And
yet, I feel no shame.
I make personal attacks in person. It's fun, you should try it.

Jack Squat
2007-11-26, 09:51 AM
I'll file that under the argument that sometimes you do have to wack guys over the head with a hammer for them to get the message. Not tiny taps...

I've got another example for you:

It took me a month after I knew my current girlfriend liked me before I asked her out. I'm still trying to figure out how I didn't get the message.

Skippy
2007-11-26, 10:11 AM
I've got another example for you:

It took me a month after I knew my current girlfriend liked me before I asked her out. I'm still trying to figure out how I didn't get the message.

If this makes you feel better, my ex girlfriend told me directly I liked her and still I didn't ask her out until a month later.