PDA

View Full Version : Best Artificer build for a Mandalorian

JeffreyGator
2020-12-24, 02:36 AM
I started with an Armorer with a bit of rogue (arcane trickster) and then decided I liked Artillerist with some ranger better.

The cannon has good flamethrower and rocket launcher modes.

Other stuff really can be accommodated by infusions and spells.

I like Half-Plate better than full plate to emulate the Mandalorian look. Boba and Jin are less armored than clone/storm trooper but more than breastplates, I think.

What all do you think?

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 02:48 AM
Only the Battlesmith impresses me as a subclass that can be as tough as a Mandalorian. Being able to go SAD on Int is very very very potent. Once you have 20 Int start grabbing Feats like PAM (and Elvish Accuracy if you are an Elf).

Arkhios
2020-12-24, 03:29 AM
Personally, I think that Din (it's not Jin!), at least, maybe Boba as well, is much more likely a ranger. Although, Artillerist might be a good dip, if only for the cannon.

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 03:33 AM
Personally, I think that Din (it's not Jin!), at least, maybe Boba as well, is much more likely a ranger. Although, Artillerist might be a good dip, if only for the cannon.

My build for Boba Fett would be Artificer (Battlesmith 20) or Artificer (Battlesmith) 3/ Bladesinger 17

One could reflavor Tortle as Mandalorian. Or one could not.

My Luke Skywalker build is Artificer 3 (Battlesmith) / 2 Draconic Sorceror/ 2 Fighter / Divination 13 (and Metamagic Adept somewhere in there) to capstone with Simulacrum and a High Int. So with Quicken and Portent and Action Surge I have one helluva Nova times two (Simulacrum). Cool Hand Luke is one tough cookie to beat (Luke 4:18).

Or Luke Skywalker could be 1 Druid/ 2 Clockwork Sorceror (put Metamagic Adept in there somewhere)/ 3 Psi Fighter /3 Monk Open Hand/ Bladesinger 11 if you prefer combat over role play victories. Push Wisdom then Dex.

Arkhios
2020-12-24, 06:01 AM
Luke would, in my honest opinion, be definitely an artificer (likely Battlesmith for a personal droid) from the start, but after that it's debatable. One could say Eldritch Knight for weapon bond is a must.
Although, the Telekinetic feat would have similar effect. An Eldritch Knight with very high intelligence score would be pretty cool.

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 06:33 AM
Luke would, in my honest opinion, be definitely an artificer (likely Battlesmith for a personal droid) from the start, but after that it's debatable. One could say Eldritch Knight for weapon bond is a must.
Although, the Telekinetic feat would have similar effect. An Eldritch Knight with very high intelligence score would be pretty cool.
3 EK in place of Psi Fighter is better but less fluffy, yes.

Dualswinger
2020-12-24, 06:49 AM
Personally, I’d see Mando as more of an armorer. The versatility, and having all your magic item effects built into your heavy plate mail, seems more in keeping with his usual plan to just let his tankiness win most fights

Sception
2020-12-24, 06:50 AM
Artillerist or Armourer definitely make sense as Mandalorian classes to me. Maybe with dips here or there. Battlesmith too with some droid support - though that is less common among Mandalorians that have gotten screen time. Forge Cleric might also be worth looking at for the forgemaster / spiritual leader from the show. Any number of Fighter and Ranger options also work as either main classes or dips for other classes

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 06:52 AM
Personally, I’d see Mando as more of an armorer. The versatility, and having all your magic item effects built into your heavy plate mail, seems more in keeping with his usual plan to just let his tankiness win most fights

I agree. I just wish the actual mechanics made armorer better than battlesmith.

Dualswinger
2020-12-24, 07:19 AM
I agree. I just wish the actual mechanics made armorer better than battlesmith.

Do they not? I mean sure, a Smith has higher damage output, (barely), but instead a guardian build has some insane tanking potential. Temp hit points at will is a very powerful ability. Not to mention that you can still make your thunder gauntlet ranged via returning weapon.

ff7hero
2020-12-24, 08:39 AM
Or Luke Skywalker could be 1 Druid/ 2 Clockwork Sorceror (put Metamagic Adept in there somewhere)/ 3 Psi Fighter /3 Monk Open Hand/ Bladesinger 11 if you prefer combat over role play victories. Push Wisdom then Dex.

How are you pushing any stats with 2 ASIs and a Feat? (and needing 4 13s for multiclassing)

stoutstien
2020-12-24, 09:33 AM
Do they not? I mean sure, a Smith has higher damage output, (barely), but instead a guardian build has some insane tanking potential. Temp hit points at will is a very powerful ability. Not to mention that you can still make your thunder gauntlet ranged via returning weapon.

The THP bonus action was reduced to a number of times = to proficiency bonus and you can only use the returning infusion on a weapon that has the thrown property which the gauntlets don't.

Dualswinger
2020-12-24, 09:41 AM
The THP bonus action was reduced to a number of times = to proficiency bonus and you can only use the returning infusion on a weapon that has the thrown property which the gauntlets don't.

Epic misread on my part. Yeah bs definitely stronger

stoutstien
2020-12-24, 10:05 AM
Epic misread on my part. Yeah bs definitely stronger

Eh. Not stronger per se but rather a different approach to how to deal with party mitigation. It's like comparing a BM and EK fighter. Flexibie tools vs toggle switches.

Damon_Tor
2020-12-24, 11:57 AM

The armorer's tHP are only enough to give him an effective d10 hit die. That's not "insane tanking potential" that's the bare minimum we expect from a melee character. Meanwhile, the Steel Defender has 5x your level HP, and the subclass comes with plenty of tools for making the defender soak damage. THAT is insane tanking potential. Plus as you note he deals better damage.

All that said, Din didn't build his armor. You'd be better off making him an Eldritch Knight and using spells like burning hands and magic missile to represent his various weapons.

JeffreyGator
2020-12-24, 01:19 PM

Thank you for the correction. I knew Jin was wrong but close and should have looked it up.

Yes I like more Ranger especially gloom-stalker probably. (I went with fey wanderer because it fits the party better)

I'm probably going more artificer for more items/infusions.

I agree with the benefits of battle smith BUT I don't see a mandalorian as SAD int based or with a robot pet.

What background makes the most sense? Right now it is a guild artisan fitting the theme of connected to their tribe. I could also easily see urban bounty hunter.

Unoriginal
2020-12-24, 01:43 PM
What background makes the most sense? Right now it is a guild artisan fitting the theme of connected to their tribe. I could also easily see urban bounty hunter.

For Din? Definitively Acolyte.

For Boba? Depends on what period of his life you're going for, but as a grown adult definitively Criminal.

For Jango? Def. Soldier.

Silpharon
2020-12-24, 02:45 PM
Battle Smith Mando doesn't make sense, he hates droids! The Steel Defender would be an abomination to him. I'd think the Armorer or Artillerist would be best.

Artillerist: try to get an All Purpose Tool early, and cast Shillelagh on a quarterstaff that is also your Arcane Firearm. Now you've got a Int-based d8 beskar staff that does an extra d8 when you cast Booming Blade. Depending on DM interpretation, you might even get an extra d8 to apply to one attack after you cast Shillelagh.

Armorer: you could do the same trick to get an Int-based beskar staff, but it doesn't get the Arcane Firearm benefit...but you get extra attack, so more damage total. I think the Armorer shines better in infiltrator as the main mode. You could do breastplate with a shield for 20+ AC and stealth advantage. I think the Lightning Launcher could be fashioned as a blaster. You get Magic Missile at level 3, which serves as the wrist birdies. All the armor modifications make sense... Enhanced Defense, Helm of Awareness, Winged Boots all add to the persona.

CMCC
2020-12-24, 04:44 PM
I will likely do a full mandalorian guide at some point soon, now that the force user guide has mostly run its course.

A Witcher build may be up next though and that will take a while because there are an insane amount of powers.

But at first glance armorer or artillerist seem to be the obvious choices here. We’d have to list our all the powers and find in game equivalents - which isn’t that easy for Mandos.

JeffreyGator
2020-12-24, 05:31 PM
I will likely do a full mandalorian guide at some point soon, now that the force user guide has mostly run its course.
We’d have to list our all the powers and find in game equivalents - which isn’t that easy for Mandos.

Full guide would be cool I look forward to it and am happy to contribute.

some features:
At least medium (half-plate) or heavy armor (note that the character is pretty graceful in this but only stealth has an in game disadvantage)

Flame Thrower: Artillerist cannon or Burning Hands since it isn't used a lot.

Rocket Launcher: Fireball probably but the Artillerist cannon also works.

Dart launcher: possibly with poison? easily spell replicated

Rope launcher: thorn whip or lightning lure or Entangle

Jet pack: I like winged boots best for this, but the fly spell also works.

Armor should be Adamantine to represent Beskar.

Helmet vision bonuses: Perception (expertise), darkvision

JeffreyGator
2020-12-24, 05:38 PM
Artillerist: try to get an All Purpose Tool early, and cast Shillelagh on a quarterstaff that is also your Arcane Firearm. Now you've got a Int-based d8 beskar staff that does an extra d8 when you cast Booming Blade. Depending on DM interpretation, you might even get an extra d8 to apply to one attack after you cast Shillelagh.

Armorer: you could do the same trick to get an Int-based beskar staff, but it doesn't get the Arcane Firearm benefit...but you get extra attack, so more damage total. I think the Armorer shines better in infiltrator as the main mode. You could do breastplate with a shield for 20+ AC and stealth advantage. I think the Lightning Launcher could be fashioned as a blaster. You get Magic Missile at level 3, which serves as the wrist birdies. All the armor modifications make sense... Enhanced Defense, Helm of Awareness, Winged Boots all add to the persona.

The problem that I run into with the All-Purpose tool and a Staff Focus is that if I also have a shield I run out of hands to hold the three things. Shield, Focus and Tool.

The same problem exists for the Alchemist.

Damon_Tor
2020-12-24, 05:40 PM

These are so clearly magic missiles. I think the strongest argument has Mando as a Dex/Int Eldritch Knight. He's definitely in half plate, if only because we see what Mandalorian "Full Plate" would look like with that one big Mandalorian Din got into a scuffle with in season 1.

CMCC
2020-12-24, 08:12 PM
Full guide would be cool I look forward to it and am happy to contribute.

some features:
At least medium (half-plate) or heavy armor (note that the character is pretty graceful in this but only stealth has an in game disadvantage)

Flame Thrower: Artillerist cannon or Burning Hands since it isn't used a lot.

Rocket Launcher: Fireball probably but the Artillerist cannon also works.

Rope launcher: thorn whip or lightning lure or Entangle

Jet pack: I like winged boots best for this, but the fly spell also works.

Armor should be Adamantine to represent Beskar.

Helmet vision bonuses: Perception (expertise), darkvision

This is awesome. Thanks.

These are so clearly magic missiles. I think the strongest argument has Mando as a Dex/Int Eldritch Knight. He's definitely in half plate, if only because we see what Mandalorian "Full Plate" would look like with that one big Mandalorian Din got into a scuffle with in season 1.

While watching the show I had the same thought about the magic missiles.

Silpharon
2020-12-24, 08:51 PM
The problem that I run into with the All-Purpose tool and a Staff Focus is that if I also have a shield I run out of hands to hold the three things. Shield, Focus and Tool.

The same problem exists for the Alchemist.

You don't need to hold the tool if you're using the staff. The tool just gives you the Shillelagh cantrip, but you don't need to keep holding it. If you're wanting a spellcasting focus, infuse the shield or staff, or an Armorer just has their armor as a focus. If you want the +spell attack/DC, start with a magic staff that provides that.

Alchemist needs to use alchemist tools to be effective, but the All Purpose Tool turns into that for you. I wouldn't do the staff trick with alchemist.

One of the best things about Infiltrator Armorer is the hand economy. You've got one hand for shield, and the other is free for somatic components or holding something like the All Purpose Tool. The Lightning Launcher is on your fist (not in your hand) or on your chest.

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 08:59 PM
How are you pushing any stats with 2 ASIs and a Feat? (and needing 4 13s for multiclassing)

You pick the often overlooked race that gives you +1 in all 6 stats.

CornfedCommando
2020-12-25, 01:27 AM

This trick would also work well for Din Djarin’s disruptor rifle. Use the shillelagh for Booming Blade (as you described) or even Shocking Grasp to simulate the prongs of the rifle, then use it to also cast Firebolt.

Arkhios
2020-12-25, 03:09 AM
You pick the often overlooked race that gives you +1 in all 6 stats.

Still doesn't qualify for having 2 ASI's AND a feat, with only 11 levels in one class and up to 3 in others.

SteadyAim
2020-12-25, 03:13 AM
Still doesn't qualify for having 2 ASI's AND a feat, with only 11 levels in one class and up to 3 in others.

Yea. There was a slight clerical error in the second Luke I listed. But definitely 2 ASIs and a Feat.

Mercurias
2020-12-26, 12:35 PM
I’d go for a Variant Human Artillerist Artificer with Resilient (Con) for his racial feat, then Toughness and Lucky as you can squeeze them in at later levels. I’d also ride Artificer the entire way. Boots of Flying for the jet pack, an Arcane Armament that’s a staff, pick up some sort of vehicle proficiencies...

JeffreyGator
2020-12-27, 10:25 PM
isn't resilient (con) at least half-wasted on any artficer since they start with con proficiency?

CMCC
2020-12-27, 11:38 PM
Yeah def don’t take res con as an artificer. Go with a different half feat or just take the asi or something.

Arkhios
2020-12-28, 05:06 AM
For Din? Definitively Acolyte.

For Boba? Depends on what period of his life you're going for, but as a grown adult definitively Criminal.

For Jango? Def. Soldier.

All three should have Outlander background with specialty origin Bounty Hunter, obviously.

Unoriginal
2020-12-28, 08:53 AM
All three should have Outlander background with specialty origin Bounty Hunter, obviously.

Depends if you see the bounty hunting as their backstory or as their adventure.

Joe the Rat
2020-12-28, 09:35 AM
This one really bogs down on flavor vs mechanics. Armorer has the right base look (armor is source of all the wonderful toys, and you get a *lot* of toys you can put in your armor), and gets you everything independent of adventure (cough), but doesn't have the same oomph. Artillerist has the cannon factor (I've got a gnome artillerist in our game - shoulder-mounted cannon + regular action shoot/blast/tentacular spectacular makes for heavy output), but comes out a little squishy.

But unless your first name is Tilda, you're aiming for the wrong character. Most of the Mandos have wonderful toys, they don't make them. And they certainly don't fix things very well. The EK Fighter is a pretty good approach - your armor functions are spells, via spell foci, or rather spell components attached to your armor at various points. You can play with wand bracers as well, if so inclined. The limited spell slots do a nice job of capturing the very limited use of the armor toys. Beskar is Adamantine, straight up. Not every suit is pure, giving you a lovely window to acquire your adamantine half plate through development. Shrugging off blows is as much hit points as super armor, and negating crits falls quite nicely into how it works. Fighting unarmed is more a genre convention (remember, the guys with swords are the weird ones), but taking the Unarmed fighting style will work well here - and might encourage the lack of shield.

Flavor your primary armaments from normal missile weapons to spellcasting to magic boomsticks to just moving everything back to swords as you like.

I agree on the Acolyte for Din - that captures the strong religion and sheltered lifestyle (though finding Coverts for the free upkeep is gonna be tricky). Contacts (from criminal) or the city watch "eye for hives of scum and villainy" features are also fair use.

Ranger is also an interesting take - probably best for a serious bounty hunter (favored enemy & whatnot, Hawkeye magic spell shots, and oh, oh Hunters Mark).

Klorox
2020-12-28, 02:02 PM

A Witcher build may be up next though and that will take a while because there are an insane amount of powers.

But at first glance armorer or artillerist seem to be the obvious choices here. We’d have to list our all the powers and find in game equivalents - which isn’t that easy for Mandos.

I'm very interested in seeing this.

I had samurai in my head as an appropriate class, with the gunner feat. He's a gunslinger too.

I could be off here. But there are definitely a lot of fun ways to do this.

CMCC
2021-01-04, 06:12 PM
Going through this build now. Some of you are spot on.

Did anyone mention a darksaber?

I'm very interested in seeing this.

I had samurai in my head as an appropriate class, with the gunner feat. He's a gunslinger too.

I could be off here. But there are definitely a lot of fun ways to do this.

Fighter levels are a must. The question is how many and what subclass. I won't be doing a Din Djarin build, but (like the force user) a generic mandalorian that can hopefully cover as much of the abilities/features/skills/gadgets as possible.

Depending on DM interpretation, you might even get an extra d8 to apply to one attack after you cast Shillelagh.

why wouldn't you get the d8 if you cast booming blade?

Silpharon
2021-01-05, 12:55 AM
why wouldn't you get the d8 if you cast booming blade?

You absolutely would for booming blade. I was saying you may or may not get yet another d8 on your first booming blade after casting Shillelagh. It's unclear whether casting Shillelagh itself would give you a d8 to apply to one of it's damage rolls. I would tend toward yes, but I could see arguments against. I don't think it'd be OP though since it'd only affect one attack with the Shillelagh staff.

Klorox
2021-01-05, 04:49 PM
Going through this build now. Some of you are spot on.

Did anyone mention a darksaber?

Fighter levels are a must. The question is how many and what subclass. I won't be doing a Din Djarin build, but (like the force user) a generic mandalorian that can hopefully cover as much of the abilities/features/skills/gadgets as possible.

Looking forward to it!