PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Orb Wizard (PEACH)

Citadel97501
2020-12-24, 04:46 AM
Hello all, I had an idea for a character and I was hoping for some assistance on the build. So I was thinking I would write it up and update it as necessary before a final post to the Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds.

Base Stats: Dexterity: 14, Constitution: 14+, Intelligence: 15+

Race: Warforged, Dwarf, or Variant Human depending on setting.
Class: Artificer 2+, Wizard 5+
Subclasses: Wizard: Order of Scribes
Background: Any but I would always suggest getting Perception trained along with Investigation although Athletics & Perception are also handy.
ASI/Feats: Meta-Magic Adept: Twin Spell, the rest into intelligence.

Wizard Cantrips: Acid Splash, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, Prestidigitation
Artificer: Mending, Magic Stone
Cantrips; 4 Wizard, 2 Artificer

Mandatory Spells: Tiny Servant, & Dragon's Breath
Handy Stuff: Shield, Absorb Elements, Haste, Fly, Feather Fall, the usual suspects. Steady Aim suggested sanctuary as it provides a powerful defense for the targets.
Important Infusions: Homunculus Servant, Mind Sharpener, Enhanced Arcane Focus, Enhanced Defense

Concept: Basically this entire build is built around having a pair of orbs that attack in your place the first round while you assist with magic from the back line. Early on you have other options such as using Homunculus Servant as your blaster with Magic Stone, and escalating from there. Later on, Dragon's Breath will be used with Wands of Magic Missile to blast enemies into submission.

Notes:
Instead of using Meta Magic Adept, you could simply take Sorcerer after getting Wizard to 5, but I am unsure if this is really necessary unless your facing multiple fights per day without rest, (Looking at you Descent into Avernus ugh...)

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 04:49 AM
My suggestion is to abuse Sanctuary.

Citadel97501
2020-12-24, 04:56 AM
I assume your thinking that using a breath weapon IE from Dragon's Breath wouldn't actually violate the rules for Sanctuary. This could work especially since they do have at least a 30' movement speed, although this would likely require levels in Sorcerer so you get enough sorcery points to do multiple twin casts, but this definitely has merit.

SteadyAim
2020-12-24, 05:03 AM
How about Shepherd Druid? Use your Concentration on Conjure Animals. So Shepherd 6 is super strong and right up your alley of minions, go, minions!!!

Citadel97501
2020-12-24, 05:26 PM
How about Shepherd Druid? Use your Concentration on Conjure Animals. So Shepherd 6 is super strong and right up your alley of minions, go, minions!!!

The issue is that Dragon's breath is a concentration spell, and I always thought that spell was a bit to time intensive for a session.

Silpharon
2020-12-25, 12:41 AM
I recommend alchemist (surprised!?) to level 5. Take Artificer Initiate feat to get access to alchemy tools as a wizard spell focus, then transmute your spells to fire/acid/necrotic/poison with Scribes 2 to make sure you get the Int boost.

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-25, 07:57 AM
My understanding is that Dragon's Breath is not eligible for Twin Spell, since it has an effect which is capable of affecting multiple targets (the breath weapon).

If someone can conclusively prove otherwise - contrary to a designer Tweet - my Dragon Sorcerer will be very happy

Edit:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/944272988983062528?s=19

Valmark
2020-12-25, 09:44 AM
My understanding is that Dragon's Breath is not eligible for Twin Spell, since it has an effect which is capable of affecting multiple targets (the breath weapon).

If someone can conclusively prove otherwise - contrary to a designer Tweet - my Dragon Sorcerer will be very happy

Edit:

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/944272988983062528?s=19

Well, as a start JC's tweets are... Unreliable, at best.

That said, in case of Dragon's Breath when you cast the spell it only affects one target. This is different from, for example, Cone of Cold which affects multiple targets when casted (unless you cast Cone of Cold targeting empty air I guess).

Put it another way Dragon's Breath is a buff that allows one creature to breath an AoE. Cone of Cold is an AoE.

Dragon's Breath has a range of Touch, CoC has a range of Self (60 feet cone). One can only target one creature, the other can target yourself and everybody in a 60 feet cone.

DB is more akin to Haste or the Smite spells- those can be twinned even if they can affect multiple creatures (Haste because you attack somebody else, Smites because... Well, same thing).

Burning Hands would work like CoC, if you want another example.