PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is there a way to make psionic based on a different stat

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-24, 05:23 AM
Hello guys :)

I am planning on playing a Psy-Gish Half-giant in a Darksun game and I was wondering if there is a way to make it not based on int.

I mainly look to make a build who use awesome blow as I always liked this feat and wanted to mix it with psionic and martial character.

Rynjin
2020-12-24, 05:42 AM
Psychic Warriors are Wis based, 6 level Psionics that are natural made Gishes.

Wilders are Cha based, and a bit better at the raw blasting angle, and get 9's.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-24, 06:32 AM
Psychic Warriors are Wis based, 6 level Psionics that are natural made Gishes.

Wilders are Cha based, and a bit better at the raw blasting angle, and get 9's.

Wisdom may work. Thank you :

I don't like the fact it is half progress and not a true Gish but I can deal with it.
I have little experience with PF, I hope there are prestige class that can help with that.

Quertus
2020-12-24, 07:05 AM
Play 3.0? Or 2e? Then it's based on any / all 6 stats, based largely to entirely on the discipline.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-24, 08:00 AM
Play 3.0? Or 2e? Then it's based on any / all 6 stats, based largely to entirely on the discipline.

What do you mean by 3.0 or 2e?
I am talking about the system that is similar to d&d 3.5.

From a quick search on Google I can say we are not using 2e(I didn't even knew it exist).

The one you can find it rules in the d20pfsrd.

We are using the Pathfinder Dark sun campaign settings and Ultimate Psionic book(without the races).

I have to say that all my experience in Psionic is from an Erudite(spell to power) PC that was in a 3.5e campaign I DMed a few years ago.

burpbot
2020-12-24, 09:04 PM

{scrubbed}

Rynjin
2020-12-24, 11:17 PM
Wisdom may work. Thank you :

I don't like the fact it is half progress and not a true Gish but I can deal with it.
I have little experience with PF, I hope there are prestige class that can help with that.

What makes it not a true gish to you? It ticks all of the boxes. Gishes don't typically get 9s in other editions anyway, since they're heavily multiclassed; the only real exception is the Eldritch Knight.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-25, 06:40 AM
What makes it not a true gish to you? It ticks all of the boxes. Gishes don't typically get 9s in other editions anyway, since they're heavily multiclassed; the only real exception is the Eldritch Knight.

From what I remember a true gish is BAB 20 and 9level spells at level 20.
With psionic is should be 9 level powers.

Kitsuneymg
2020-12-25, 07:21 AM
From what I remember a true gish is BAB 20 and 9level spells at level 20.
With psionic is should be 9 level powers.

You remember incorrectly. The 3.5 (which you aren’t playing) benchmark was 9s and 16 bab at level 20. But that’s with an edition that has abjurant champion and PRCs that grant accelerated casting. PF has neither. The best you can do for that is an eldritch knight build. Maybe something involving star gazer could come up.

PsyWar 20 is a gish in a can. It gives combat power and combat supporting magic, which is what a gish is all about. If you want to play a caster, play a caster. And yes, by the higher levels gishes do fall behind in theory just like every non 9th level caster. But even when they get 9s, they tend to have lower casting stats, and a selection of spell bent towards combat instead of god wizarding.

Tl;dr - psychic warrior is a fine gish.

Xei_Win_Toh
2020-12-25, 08:09 AM
If it's Pathfinder psionics, how about Contemplative Wilder?

Quertus
2020-12-25, 10:40 AM
{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

:smallredface:

OK, for 3.pf, at least, the "3.0" bit could potentially be valid, depending on which bits were "3" and which were "pf".

Or one could always seek an artifact that warps reality sufficiently to pull in rules from other games.

So it's not *completely* useless advice, just… not likely actionable advice at most tables.

Maat Mons
2020-12-25, 05:00 PM
If you want a Wisdom-based manifester that gets up to 9th-level powers, I guess there's Vitalist.

For a psi-gish, some options include

Fighter 2 / Psion 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Psion +4
Fighter 2 / Vitalist 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Vitalist +4
Ranger 2 / Psion 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Psion +4
Ranger 2 / Vitalist 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Vitalist +4
Wilder 6 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Wilder +4
Wilder 5 / Fighter 1 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Wilder +4

All of those hit the 9th-level powers and +16 base attack bonus benchmarks.

Ramza00
2020-12-25, 05:08 PM
Here is a spreadsheet of the various ways in pathfinder and dreamscarred of the various divine, arcane, manifesters, path of war, etc to various main casting modifiers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OH1P1R-26EgMjySoqDzCSLNisNmktIDKrnSfOLMHGmY/edit

Also remember there are other DSP races. Oggr is a medium race that is non psionic , are humanoids with the giant subtype, powerful build, and can choose one of 4 other races to have as a second blood type.

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity

Now Oggrs do not possess the Psionic Subtype. Well a permissive DM would allow the 6th level Psionic Power True Awakening to be cast on you during your backstory. For 2000 gp you gain 1 power known with a ML of 1, 2 psionic power points, bonus PP based off a ML of 1 based off your highest mental score (so bonus pp if you have Int / Wis / Cha of 14 you get 1 bonus pp, 2 bonus pp at mental score 18, 3 at mental score 22 and so on), and now the psionic subtype so you will fit into Dark Sun.

In sum if your DM allows it you can get a different version of half-giant via Oggrr and True Awakening power.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-26, 09:13 AM
If you want a Wisdom-based manifester that gets up to 9th-level powers, I guess there's Vitalist.

For a psi-gish, some options include

Fighter 2 / Psion 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Psion +4
Fighter 2 / Vitalist 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Vitalist +4
Ranger 2 / Psion 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Psion +4
Ranger 2 / Vitalist 4 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Vitalist +4
Wilder 6 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Wilder +4
Wilder 5 / Fighter 1 / Phrenic Slayer 10 / Wilder +4

All of those hit the 9th-level powers and +16 base attack bonus benchmarks.
Thank you, that is really useful.

You remember incorrectly. The 3.5 (which you aren’t playing) benchmark was 9s and 16 bab at level 20. But that’s with an edition that has abjurant champion and PRCs that grant accelerated casting. PF has neither. The best you can do for that is an eldritch knight build. Maybe something involving star gazer could come up.

PsyWar 20 is a gish in a can. It gives combat power and combat supporting magic, which is what a gish is all about. If you want to play a caster, play a caster. And yes, by the higher levels gishes do fall behind in theory just like every non 9th level caster. But even when they get 9s, they tend to have lower casting stats, and a selection of spell bent towards combat instead of god wizarding.

Tl;dr - psychic warrior is a fine gish.
My mistake, thank you for clarifying.

Here is a spreadsheet of the various ways in pathfinder and dreamscarred of the various divine, arcane, manifesters, path of war, etc to various main casting modifiers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OH1P1R-26EgMjySoqDzCSLNisNmktIDKrnSfOLMHGmY/edit

Also remember there are other DSP races. Oggr is a medium race that is non psionic , are humanoids with the giant subtype, powerful build, and can choose one of 4 other races to have as a second blood type.

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity

Now Oggrs do not possess the Psionic Subtype. Well a permissive DM would allow the 6th level Psionic Power True Awakening to be cast on you during your backstory. For 2000 gp you gain 1 power known with a ML of 1, 2 psionic power points, bonus PP based off a ML of 1 based off your highest mental score (so bonus pp if you have Int / Wis / Cha of 14 you get 1 bonus pp, 2 bonus pp at mental score 18, 3 at mental score 22 and so on), and now the psionic subtype so you will fit into Dark Sun.

In sum if your DM allows it you can get a different version of half-giant via Oggrr and True Awakening power.

I prefer the Half-Giant racial features. But the spread sheet is really useful.