PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Grasp of Hadar/Lance of Lethargy, Once or Once per creature?

BerzerkerUnit
2020-12-24, 11:03 AM
Aloha,

I hope everyone is looking forward to the long weekend!

Warlock invocation question:

Grasp of Hadar- is it once per turn, or once per turn per creature? I'm clear that you can't drag one creature 40 feet closer (unlike Repelling blast which allows you to push 1 creature 40 feet away). However, reading grasp I'm unsure if it can be applied to multiple creatures by spreading the blasts. Same for Lance of Lethargy.

I've recently had an idea for a Tanking Warlock using Summon Shadowspawn and it gets a lot better if you can drag the foes closer to you.

If Lance and Grasp can be applied to two or more creatures, it gets pretty interesting, though I can make do with the Slasher feat as well.

Short version for those interested:
Hexblade (though if you MC a warrior type you can do this with any by level 6)
Armor of Agathys, and Summon Shadowspawn (despair type)
LoLeth, and GoHadar, Thirsting Blade
Sentinel and Slasher feats
Halberd or Battle Axe and Shield

With 1 hour durations it's ideal to have both spells up at the start of combat, but you can drop Summon on round 1 adjacent to a target to begin.
Rd 1 pull multiple foes adjacent to Shadow, tagging with LoL for -10 feet of move. Position yourself within 5 ft of those creatures (pincer with shadow or back to back if flanked). Shadow readies a dash for the start of those creature's turn.

Creature turn- start of turn speeds reduced by -20 feet. Average humanoid will now have a 0 speed for the turn. Shadow dashes out of reach. If only 1 of the creatures had that initiative, use your Sentinel attack on the other 1 to reduce it's speed by 10 feet if they both make AoO. For their turn, the only viable target is you. Running 1h and shield you have an 18 AC, with Agathys up they take 15 damage per attack, if attacks land. If you run Halberd, then you could have set up outside their reach and they might be stuck throwing rocks or something.

I might be able to do this more efficiently with the Shadow and the mobility and slasher feat... Thanks for reading if you made it this far.

CheddarChampion
2020-12-24, 11:15 AM
"Once on each of your turns..."

In other words, once per round but only on your turn the effect happens. You cannot use the same effect twice on your turn even if you hit multiple enemies.