PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Jedi Knight Chassis (Swarmkeeper 3/Bladesinger 6) seeking late game direction

rilescoop
2020-12-24, 02:02 PM
Longtime listener, first time caller here....

To me at least, Jedi Knight combat has always been a marriage of swordplay and telekinetics. A true gish with a melee controller flare, effective at both solo and multi-foe combat.

Here is the best I have come up with: Apologies in advance if someone has already written about this build...

Variant Human Swarmkeeper 3 Bladesinger 6

Str 8
Dex 14
Con 10
Int 16
Wis 16
Cha 8

Human Feat: Polearm Master
ASI 1: Sentinel

Ranger Fighting Style: Druidic Warrior

Weapon: Quarterstaff
Armor: Studded Leather

Cantrips of Note:
Booming Blade
Thorn Whip
Shillelagh
Blade Ward
Guidance
Mind Sliver
Sapping Sting (If allowed by DM, I think Dunamancy feels like "The Force" school of Magic)

Notable Spells:
Spirit Shroud
Haste
Bless
Healing Word
Suggestion
Hold Person
Hunters Mark
Zephyr Strike

Swarmkeeper Level 3 Feature:
Once on each of your turns, you can cause the swarm to assist you in one of the following ways, immediately after you hit a creature with an attack:

The attack’s target takes 1d6 piercing damage from the swarm.
The attack’s target must succeed on a Strength saving throw against your spell save DC or be moved by the swarm up to 15 feet horizontally in a direction of your choice.
You are moved by the swarm 5 feet horizontally in a direction of your choice.

Bladesinger Level 6 Feature: You can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. Moreover, you can cast one of your cantrips in place of one of those attacks.

Standard Turn:

Shillelagh activated (lightsaber turning on)

Attack Action: Attack plus Booming Blade
Bonus Action: Polearm Butt end Strike
Added to Either Attack: 15 Feet Movement

Foes are then moved out of range, not provoking Booming Blade. But if they attempt to move back in range, they take Booming Blade Damage, and then get hit with an opportunity attack from Polearm Master when they get back in Range. This in turn triggers the swarmkeeper feature (1/turn) which will move them back 15 feet. Sentinel keeps them from using the rest of their movement to come back that turn.

Alternatively, can use Sapping Strike to knock an enemy prone, two attacks and move 15 to the feet of your striker.

Blade Ward plus two attacks and 15 movement on turns when you are surrounded.

Guidance plus two attacks and 15 feet movement for party buff

Mind Sliver plus two attacks to juice the save on forced movement.

When I want to be sticky: Thorn Whip plus two attacks, Sentinel and Swarmkeeper movement to keep them where I want them.

The swarmkeeper movement is not size dependent (size matters not): You can knock a giant off a cliff with the force. Or drag it to you.

Spell Strategies:
Spirit Shroud/Favored Foe/Hunters Mark/Haste: Juice attacks and Damage

Shield/Absorb Elements/Misty Step/Mirror Image: Defense

Bless/Cure Wounds/Counterspell/Dispel Magic: Party Buffs

Zephyr Strike/Jump: Battlefield Mobility

Weaknesses: AC definitely, (14, 17 with Bladesong) probably more I have missed.

Does this build work? Any advice on augmenting the core strategy? Different Spells or Feats?

When polearm master opportunity attack is triggered when a foe enters range, does my forced movement and attack happen before their attack? Possibly negating the attack?

Where do I go from here for levels 10-20?

Order Cleric? Bonus Action Hold Person with forced movement, party buffs now come with attacks

Peace Cleric? Aura buff, Channel Divinity with healing+battlefied mobility

Astral Self Monk? AC boost, Wis arms with reach and Wis for Athletics bringing grappling possibilities into the mix, using Ranger canny for Athletics expertise?

Battlemaster Fighter? 3 attacks (at level 20) Maneuvers

Or something completely different?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

CMCC
2020-12-24, 04:49 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?623807-The-Force-User-(Jedi-Sith-Kid-in-TLJ-with-Broom)-Build

I gave the swarm keeper a lot of thought as well. Even if you’re willing to abandon all the flavor it doesn’t quite work for me.

Why are you doing piercing damage with the force?

Why are you hovering?

Why do you get half cover?

Why are you teleporting?

I actually REALLY like this subclass, so I would totally try to make it work if you can ignore these questions.

But it’s just not the best fit IMO

Grod_The_Giant
2020-12-25, 07:09 PM

Why are you hovering?

Why are you teleporting?

1. You're picking up and throwing small pebbles at extremely high speeds, bullet style.

2. Force jump-- it's not flight, it's extreme wire-fu falling with style.

3. Nine times out of ten, the half cover will be indistinguishable from any other AC boost. Flavor as prescient dodging.

4. It's not actual teleporting--you're just using the Force to zip away at great speed.

Silpharon
2020-12-26, 12:08 AM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?623807-The-Force-User-(Jedi-Sith-Kid-in-TLJ-with-Broom)-Build

I gave the swarm keeper a lot of thought as well. Even if you’re willing to abandon all the flavor it doesn’t quite work for me.

Why are you hovering?

Why are you teleporting?

I actually REALLY like this subclass, so I would totally try to make it work if you can ignore these questions.

But it’s just not the best fit IMO

Your swarm are midichlorians :)

Valmark
2020-12-26, 08:16 AM
Note that Swarmkeeper doesn't activate on the Opportunity Attack because it's once on your turn, not once each turn.

SteadyAim
2020-12-26, 07:49 PM
I really like the ideas of the OP. I would swap Int and Dex in terms of stats so the 16 is in Dex.

Since you are keying off Wisdom you should consider dipping Druid 1/ Cleric 1/ and possibly even Monk 1 for more value out of the Wisdom focus. Nothing is more Jedi like than Monk unarmored defense.

By dipping Druid you could then grab Blind Fighting style which is another super jedi-like thing.

Citadel97501
2020-12-27, 02:18 AM
I hadn't ever thought of using Swarmkeeper to simulate a force user's telekinesis great idea :)

CMCC
2020-12-27, 03:28 AM
1. You're picking up and throwing small pebbles at extremely high speeds, bullet style.

2. Force jump-- it's not flight, it's extreme wire-fu falling with style.

3. Nine times out of ten, the half cover will be indistinguishable from any other AC boost. Flavor as prescient dodging.

4. It's not actual teleporting--you're just using the Force to zip away at great speed.

I can maybe buy the first one. The others are a stretch too far for my personal taste.

Your swarm are midichlorians :)

This is both terrible and pretty damn clever.

SteadyAim
2020-12-27, 03:35 AM
I can maybe buy the first one. The others are a stretch too far for my personal taste.

This is both terrible and pretty damn clever.

The fluff may not align with his choices, but the mechanics sure do. Use the Force CMCC. Use the Force. Reflavor the fluff. Everything is mechanics.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-12-27, 11:24 AM

2 and 3 could be more telekinesis-- for the former, levitating a rock or something you're balancing on, and the latter either swirling debris around you or directly slapping attacks aside.

CMCC
2020-12-27, 12:53 PM
The fluff may not align with his choices, but the mechanics sure do. Use the Force CMCC. Use the Force. Reflavor the fluff. Everything is mechanics.

Yup. But the mechanics don’t QUITE work - at least as well as some other mechanics in the game.

As I said though, swarm keeper is probably the 2nd or 3rd best build for a force user. Bonus points for wisdom and some cool multi class options that are thematically appropriate. Also the one thing my build was missing is a “animal friendship/ beast bond” type spell. This fills that gap.

Also, there’s the issue of being MAD, which leads to a 10 con - which is rough. And not getting a second attack until 9. And none of the swarm keepers options are as thematically appropriate as the psy warrior’s TK movement - which itself isn’t quite perfect since you can’t affect yourself or enemies.

Quietus
2020-12-27, 04:41 PM
Yup. But the mechanics don’t QUITE work - at least as well as some other mechanics in the game.

As I said though, swarm keeper is probably the 2nd or 3rd best build for a force user. Bonus points for wisdom and some cool multi class options that are thematically appropriate. Also the one thing my build was missing is a “animal friendship/ beast bond” type spell. This fills that gap.

Also, there’s the issue of being MAD, which leads to a 10 con - which is rough. And not getting a second attack until 9. And none of the swarm keepers options are as thematically appropriate as the psy warrior’s TK movement - which itself isn’t quite perfect since you can’t affect yourself or enemies.

For that last, consider the Telekinesis feat. At-will bonus action, str save or move a target 5 feet. A target can willingly choose to fail that save if they want to be moved.

CMCC
2020-12-27, 04:57 PM
For that last, consider the Telekinesis feat. At-will bonus action, str save or move a target 5 feet. A target can willingly choose to fail that save if they want to be moved.

That’s basically a lvl 1 pre-req for the force user build.