PDA

View Full Version : How does a new demigod get a planar realm?

mehs
2020-12-24, 03:04 PM
In pathfinder, the way to "become" a demigod is to be mythic and get divine source. That essentially meets the barebones requirements, with a *true* demigod being max mythic rank, having a planar realm the size of a continent or even world, legions of outsiders, etc.

But, while the first process of becoming max mythic rank is pretty well spelled out, the latter two are left in the dark. I'm trying to figure out how it would work.

Pathfinder

Yak folklore
2020-12-26, 01:54 AM
I'm a 3.5 player, but the two are very similar: genesis, it is a spell that created a demiplane, I know it exists in pathfinder, but don't know how different it is in 3.5, in 3.5 it grows indefinitely, but at the rate of 1" per year, it is a cleric spell, but deities get cleric casting, so everyone can do it once they are divine rank 1. Hope there is enough crossover to sent you on the right track.

Jack_Simth
2020-12-26, 05:23 AM
I'm a 3.5 player, but the two are very similar: genesis, it is a spell that created a demiplane, I know it exists in pathfinder, but don't know how different it is in 3.5, in 3.5 it grows indefinitely, but at the rate of 1" per year, it is a cleric spell, but deities get cleric casting, so everyone can do it once they are divine rank 1. Hope there is enough crossover to sent you on the right track.

The Spell Exists (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/genesis/), Except that it doesn't (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo-domains/artifice-domain/). I call it an "orphan" spell. It was converted as part of the 3.5 SRD -> PF transition, but somewhere along the way it was stripped down to just being a domain spell, and Paizo removed it from the domain in question... but left the domain entry on the spell itself. Which means it's a spell not on any class list. Theoretically, one might create a Page of Spell Knowledge (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/m-p/page-of-spell-knowledge/) and UMD (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/use-magic-device/) it, but that won't fly at all tables.

The Create Demiplane line (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-demiplane/) exists, but they're temporary by default (can be made permanent).

hamishspence
2020-12-26, 05:28 AM
In 3.5, deities don't automatically get cleric casting, actually. Plenty of the deities in Deities & Demigods, as well as Faiths and Pantheons, get no cleric levels at all.

They do get certain domain spells (whichever ones the deity has chosen as their core domains) as at-will spell-like abilities, but only a deity with the Creation domain, gets Genesis as an at-will spell-like ability.

Rather than having to create a planar domain in order to become a deity - it's the reverse, a deity gets a godly domain as a consequence of being a rank 1 deity.

Jack_Simth
2020-12-26, 05:46 AM
In 3.5, deities don't automatically get cleric casting, actually. Plenty of the deities in Deities & Demigods, as well as Faiths and Pantheons, get no cleric levels at all.

They do get certain domain spells (whichever ones the deity has chosen as their core domains) as at-will spell-like abilities, but only a deity with the Creation domain, gets Genesis as an at-will spell-like ability.

Rather than having to create a planar domain in order to become a deity - it's the reverse, a deity gets a godly domain as a consequence of being a rank 1 deity.

Mind you, the OP is specifically asking about Pathfinder....

In pathfinder, the way to "become" a demigod is to be mythic and get divine source. That essentially meets the barebones requirements, with a *true* demigod being max mythic rank, having a planar realm the size of a continent or even world, legions of outsiders, etc.

But, while the first process of becoming max mythic rank is pretty well spelled out, the latter two are left in the dark. I'm trying to figure out how it would work.

Pathfinder

Anything not specified is, as always, up to the DM. It might be something that automatically happens. It might be something you gain through RP (e.g., recruit outsiders, conquer a plane to make it your own). It might be something that you have to get the macguffin to receive.

hamishspence
2020-12-26, 06:38 AM
Even in Pathfinder, demigods (mythic divine source characters) are not automatically clerics:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/mythic/mythic-heroes/

Divine Source (Su)

You can grant divine spells to those who follow your cause, allowing them to select you as their deity for the purposes of determining their spells and domains. Select two domains upon taking this ability. These domains must be alignment domains matching your alignment if possible, unless your alignment is neutral. You grant access to these domains as if you were a deity. Creatures that gain spells from you don’t receive any spells per day of levels higher than your tier; they lose those spell slots. In addition, you can cast spells from domains you grant as long as their level is equal to or less than your tier. Each day as a spell-like ability, you can cast one spell of each level equal to or less than your tier (selecting from those available to you from your divine source domains). If you’re a cleric or you venerate a deity, you may change your spell domains to those you grant others. At 6th tier and 9th tier, you can select this ability again, adding one domain and two subdomains to your list each time and adding their spells to the list of those that you can cast.

You only cast spells (as spell-like abilities) from your chosen domains, and you don't have to be a cleric- these spells are separate from any casting ability you have.

You could be a fighter, or a wizard, or whatever, and still have Divine Source.

mehs
2020-12-26, 04:46 PM
My understanding of the cosmology of pathfinder is each plane is the size of a universe, with entire planets and such. Though the outter planes get weird such in a way that it is possible to walk/fly from one "planet" to another as the equivalent masses are right next to each other. The abyss being stacked and he'll being ringed

The demigods are not creating it, but they are somehow claiming a massive continent+ sized kingdom. And then there is the weird thing with creating angels. I guess empyreal angels and heralds are the main ones that are actually created, but it is still left blank as to how that works.

Jack_Simth
2020-12-27, 08:41 AM
My understanding of the cosmology of pathfinder is each plane is the size of a universe, with entire planets and such. Though the outter planes get weird such in a way that it is possible to walk/fly from one "planet" to another as the equivalent masses are right next to each other. The abyss being stacked and he'll being ringed

The demigods are not creating it, but they are somehow claiming a massive continent+ sized kingdom. And then there is the weird thing with creating angels. I guess empyreal angels and heralds are the main ones that are actually created, but it is still left blank as to how that works.
It Varies (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/the-planes/). A lot of them are that way. But not all of them. Infernus is finite, for instance. Limbo's a lot more like a movie asteroid belt. And so on.