PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Convenient Summon Greater Demon document for players to help manage the spell

Bilbron
2020-12-24, 05:44 PM
Show notes from my recent video on Summon Greater Demon. Posting it here because I think it's a useful document that reminds the player about the nuances of the spell, and puts all of the possible Summon stat blocks into one document for player convenience.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ihfDI2KJJWYw5CMf7b2aRuX_1x_KQCPWFCROhKkgfaI/edit

RingoBongo
2020-12-24, 07:14 PM
Thanks Bilbron! I made it 5 minutes into the video before the baby started crying and I got all adhd on some other task. But, it looks like a great resource. Looking forward to watching the video in it's entirety....

Also looking forward to the death of my current character and the rise of Captain O'Shaughnessy -- my semi-undead bladesinger pirate captain with a recently discovered penchant for a little harmless necromancy. This guide is perfect, saves me a bunch of time.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-24, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure most of that is copyrighted....

Eldariel
2020-12-25, 08:17 AM
One note I'd like to add: Chasme is special in that it's one of the very few player accessible creatures with a single attack using an extremely large amount of dice. This means that while it kinda sucks at attacking (+5 at no bonuses; Barlgura has +7 at advantage by comparison), it's uniquely useful as an outlet for a Diviner's 20 Portent dice: its crits are comparable to those of a level 13 Rogue and slightly stronger than a level 13 Paladin Smiting with a 4th level slot (or a level 9 Sorcadin). This means you can get rather good value out of that 20 by summoning a Chasme. In other words, the only standard PCs better for critting are Pallies Smiting with 5th level slots (and with lots of other extra dice) or Rogues with +8d6 SA or more (or with more other dice, from e.g. Booming Blade). If you lack those, it's quite possibly your best option, especially since the Necrotic also reduces target maximum HP at no save and it is, indeed, Necrotic, a very rarely resisted/immunitized type outside Undead.

MaxWilson
2020-12-25, 09:53 AM
One note I'd like to add: Chasme is special in that it's one of the very few player accessible creatures with a single attack using an extremely large amount of dice. This means that while it kinda sucks at attacking (+5 at no bonuses; Barlgura has +7 at advantage by comparison), it's uniquely useful as an outlet for a Diviner's 20 Portent dice: its crits are comparable to those of a level 13 Rogue and slightly stronger than a level 13 Paladin Smiting with a 4th level slot (or a level 9 Sorcadin). This means you can get rather good value out of that 20 by summoning a Chasme. In other words, the only standard PCs better for critting are Pallies Smiting with 5th level slots (and with lots of other extra dice) or Rogues with +8d6 SA or more (or with more other dice, from e.g. Booming Blade). If you lack those, it's quite possibly your best option, especially since the Necrotic also reduces target maximum HP at no save and it is, indeed, Necrotic, a very rarely resisted/immunitized type outside Undead.

And the Chasme also conveniently generates its own auto-crits via inflicting unconsciousness until damaged with its drone.

The single big attack is also good for opportunity attacks.

Thunderous Mojo
2020-12-26, 01:44 AM
The problem with the chasme is that summoning one inevitably results in the dread debate of how to pronounce the word.

Is it Chaz-me or Kaz-me?

MaxWilson
2020-12-26, 11:29 AM
The problem with the chasme is that summoning one inevitably results in the dread debate of how to pronounce the word.

Is it Chaz-me or Kaz-me?

It's pronounced "mu-SKEE-toe DEE-mun" or "bug" . :)

Scarytincan
2020-12-26, 12:14 PM
Could be worth adding which are resistant to non magical weapons and which aren't for the ratings, that can make a huge difference on their durability. Makes babau very tough for that tier for instance.

Segev
2020-12-26, 12:40 PM

Is it Chaz-me or Kaz-me?

Pretty sure it’s “chase me.”

Eldariel
2020-12-26, 12:42 PM
Could be worth adding which are resistant to non magical weapons and which aren't for the ratings, that can make a huge difference on their durability. Makes babau very tough for that tier for instance.

Mhm, potentially. Though Rakdos Cackler isn't really interesting since it only has 20 EHP total even against weapons it's resistant to - and Quasit has a grand total of 14 EHP so even less so. Dybbuk only has 37 base HP so its resistance isn't very notable either. Aside from Babau, I'd say the ones where it matters are Shadow Demon, Vrock and Maurezhi. CR 8+ things come with it as a matter of course but you're using 7th+ level spells to summon them so that's not so notable anymore.

Notable omissions, of course, are Barlgura (it could really use it with Reckless), Chasme and Armanite.

LudicSavant
2020-12-26, 12:45 PM
I made one of these for myself a while back, except my version had a chart for "expected duration" (based on the demon's wis save, whether or not they had magic resistance, and the caster's DC, and crunching all the math).

Maybe I could find and dig it up again if anyone's interested in that...

Thunderous Mojo
2020-12-26, 11:04 PM
It's pronounced "mu-SKEE-toe DEE-mun" or "bug" . :)

Pretty sure it’s “chase me.”

I knew there was a reason I like you both. 😆
I really needed some laughter...thank you both for providing some!

Jack of Carts
2020-12-27, 01:14 PM
I made one of these for myself a while back, except my version had a chart for "expected duration" (based on the demon's wis save, whether or not they had magic resistance, and the caster's DC, and crunching all the math).

Maybe I could find and dig it up again if anyone's interested in that...

As someone who plays a Warlock summoner, that would be super interesting.