PDA

View Full Version : Link (Legend of Zelda) as a Dnd Character.

Lumina
2007-11-06, 07:59 AM
I was wondering if somebody could help me make Link into a Level 15 Dnd Character.

I'm kinda stuck on how he would settle out as a dnd character.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-06, 08:06 AM
Link:

Elf (Hylian - High Elf) +2 DEX - 2 CON

Level 15 Warmage.

Done.

Lumina
2007-11-06, 08:10 AM
Warmage sounds a little heavy magic for a link.

Lumina
2007-11-06, 08:18 AM
Hehe; I just occured to me that making his items should prove fun.

Boomerang - Distance and stun capabilities.
Hookshot - Reverse Bullrush?
Callable Suits (Basic) (Fire Resistent) (Underwater Breathing)

What other "Classic" Link Items am I missing (at least ones that matter)

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 08:19 AM
Depends. WHich Link are you talking about?

The one in Ocarina of Time would be almost entirely Ranger (spell-less variant). The one in Majora's Mask could have picked up a few levels in Fighter.

The one in Wind Waker would be almost entirely Swashbuckler, with some Fighter levels thrown in.

The one in Twilight Princess? Ranger/Warblade, I think.

A Link to the Past? Fighter with cross-class Use Magic Device, maybe. Perhaps a few levels in Rogue.

Adventure of Link? Fighter/Wizard/Eldrich Knight or Spellsword.

Lumina
2007-11-06, 08:21 AM
Lets go with the more classical style of link. (link to the past? SNES one)

Sword/Shield
Able to use light amount of magic.
Bow (light/fire/? )arrows.

Ozymandias
2007-11-06, 08:23 AM
I'd say something like Rogue 2/Fighter 5/Ranger 4/Sorcerer 4. Good stats in every are (except probably CON in the earlier games, where he's pretty fragile). I might just say Bard 15, but for Din's fire.

It really depends on the game, though. E.G. Twilight Princess doesn't use magic, so he's probably some Bard variant throughout.

ocato
2007-11-06, 08:32 AM
I dunno, I still think Bard fits just fine. He doesn't really wear armor, uses a few different weapons, has some spells but doesn't go for broke, and he likes to get down with his ocarina. Also he's incredibly well liked by complete strangers (Come on in, sure you can break my pots and steal my rupees), doesn't have an animal companion or a whole lot of spell spells, just kinds of effects, is good all around at skill-things, and wears a festive hat. Also bard is a heckuva lot less complicated than taking 3-4 levels in 5 different classes.

Just flavor him a battle bard with a mithril shield and heavy ranks in UMD for his special items. Instead of proficiency feats, make them UMD based and then get his skill up so he doesn't have to or barely has to roll (thus explaining why he is proficient with every exotic-ass weapon he finds, hey look, a hook that shoots out of a gun that stuns if I hit them in the right spot, >KPWER< Direct Hit!) and then make his sword's full HP= special attack an item enchantment, probably worth between +1-+3 depending on the strength you choose to assign it.

EDIT: Consider fighter to be an uninspired second choice.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 08:41 AM
Hmm. If I had to pick ONE class, it'd be swordsage. Link mostly has in-combat abilities, and Swordy fits 'em.

Lumina
2007-11-06, 08:42 AM
True true.

A slightly modded bard should do.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 08:44 AM
Naaah. Link casts magic from items, and the power of songs come from the Ocarina, which is a super artifact. If you want a Jack Link, I'd say Factotum.

The bad thing with statting Link is that he's loaded on Artifacts, which makes him hard to define.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 08:46 AM
C'mon, Link has to have a high BaB and something like Rapid Shot. Look how fast he can fire those arrows! :smallbiggrin:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 08:48 AM
Yah. ToB + homebrewed long ranged school/Font of inspirationed Factotum with Cunning Surge forevah!

Soups
2007-11-06, 08:49 AM
Naaah. Link casts magic from items, and the power of songs come from the Ocarina, which is a super artifact. If you want a Jack Link, I'd say Factotum.

The bad thing with statting Link is that he's loaded on Artifacts, which makes him hard to define.

Yeah, his items do tend to muck things up a bit. I would give him straight ranger, or ranger/fighter. His favored enemy is obviously gannon, and he prolly has 45 con with all those heart containers he gets. S assuming he gets the con boosts from the heart containers, he could pretty much be anything. His HP increases phenominally.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 08:51 AM
Each heart is only about four to eight HP, really.

Also: Link has no innate magical power. Every time he gets a magic bar, it's either a gift from a Great Fairy, or it appears when he picks up a magical item, or it starts off empty and he has to collect magic jars to fill it up.

Anyone can probably have that type of magic, no matter what their class is.

Lumina
2007-11-06, 08:59 AM
Swordsage? thats the one TOB class everybody talks about?

That sounds good for at least majority of the levels. Does it have UMD?

I have a feeling that a few Custom Made Magic items are gonna need to be made one way or the other.

I know he needs to be a sword a shield user; with Longbow Capabilites.
Elven (or half Elven? I can never remember)
Exotic Weapon Capabilities on at least Boomerang; if not hookshot.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 09:08 AM
Yeah, swordsage is form ToB. It's what a monk should have been, and well optimized, it's likely the most powerful noncheesed (like ubercharger) melee class. It can do things as innocent as focused attacks to flying or unleashing inferno's. Hmm, that really sounds like Din's fire.

But it doesn't have UMD. It's not a problem, however, since Artifacts don't require much UMD, do they? I agree tho, new items will be needed, though some maneuvers could work as items.

I think he wouldn't need exotic. The hookshot seems like a wondrous item.

Oh, here's a llink to maneuvers, if you want it. Take a peek at Desert Wind and look for it's level 9 'neuver. There's Din's.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a

Lumina
2007-11-06, 09:11 AM
I think it's a perfect class. Just gotta remember cha isn't a complete dump stat. and make a slight UMD boosting Item. (+ cross class skill points spent into it)
Probally that hat he always wears :smallamused:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 09:13 AM
Sounds neat. And at high levels, the dual boost ability could be used for putting up two items at a time. Nayru's and hover boots together? Deal!

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 09:19 AM
Link's magical abilities aren't really his abilities, though. He gets them from powerful magic items. Even Din's Fire is an actual item instead of a real spell!

Maybe you should craft a "Legendary Hero" PrC or something.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 09:20 AM
Or concede him 'neuvers and stances through items. Din's would be an inferno burst, hover boots would be a reworked Balance in the Sky, etc. The possibilities could be nigh endless.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 09:21 AM
Or you could just give him... magic items?

Why do they need to be items that grant maneuvers? :smallconfused:

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 09:24 AM
Because it's more fitting with Blade Magic that Normal Magic? And because, being artifacts, they are special, and there's half a nonartifact bajillion of items that duplicate normal magic, but a dozen for bladey?

Link's items have more direct influence on his capabilities than most items, that's why I thought about it. And on a side note, the Master Sword would probably be a bastard sword, wouldn't it? And what would Fierce Deity Link's sword be?

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 09:29 AM
The Master Sword is a longsword. Link just happens to be really short when he wields it in most of the games.

Fierce Deity Link's sword? A greatsword. A powerful, epic-level greatsword, probably.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 09:32 AM
Aye, the fierce deity thing's probably a Large epic greatsword, given the fierce deity is even bigger than the adult Link.

I dunno if the master sword would be a longsword, since it always seemed really big. I'm pretty sure it's a +1 Holy somethingsword, tho.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-11-06, 09:34 AM
Huh...I was gonna say Warblade/Eternal Blade with lots of magic items. XD

Drascin
2007-11-06, 09:47 AM
Because it's more fitting with Blade Magic that Normal Magic? And because, being artifacts, they are special, and there's half a nonartifact bajillion of items that duplicate normal magic, but a dozen for bladey?

Link's items have more direct influence on his capabilities than most items, that's why I thought about it. And on a side note, the Master Sword would probably be a bastard sword, wouldn't it? And what would Fierce Deity Link's sword be?

I'd say Large Greatsword, with some snazzy enchantments. After all, the Fierce Deity Mask obviously gives you powerful build, or even a size enlargement, given how much Link grows when you put it on.

And I think we should distribute the kinds of magic. Din's Fire or Farore's Wind are obviously pure magic. However, the Fire Spin and such are more applicable as blade magic (which is why I keep recommending Warblade or Swordsage every time someone mentions this question)

EDIT: Gah, Ninja'd

elliott20
2007-11-06, 10:01 AM
keep in mind, people, Link doesn't HAVE to be a level 20 character. And at level 15, even a straight swordsage would only get level 8 maneuvers. This means that he's not throwing around inferno blasts yet.

The ramification of tying his artifacts to his class ability is that if he loses said artifacts, he loses all of his power. That just won't work mechanically with the class. (Unless you suddenly start playing him as nearly useless)

To be quite honest, I feel that he would be better off as a warblade instead of a swordsage, since he doesn't feel too martial art monk-ish. Warblade, on the other hand, feels like a good fit.

Snadgeros
2007-11-06, 10:56 AM
I always thought of him as an elf fighter with weapon specialization (and all of the improved forms of it) for longswords, specifically the master sword. Give him some ranks in Perform (ocarina) as well as a magical ocarina. His stats would be high str, medium con, average int (he solves all of those puzzles!), low wis, high dex, and virtually no cha, since he's mute.

He wouldn't wear armor, unless you count some of that stuff he wears as light leather, but he'd carry around a shield. If you want it to be the mirror shield, just give it the ability to reflect magical attacks. Also, since I'm going all-core here, if you want to include all of those parry and special sword moves from WW and TP, I'd just give him dodge and maybe a couple of levels in duelist. Make sure he has use magic device, so he can use all of his items such as the ocarina, din's fire, nayru's love, farore's wind, magic armor (TP or WW), etc.

A few of the magic items I'd give him and what they do.

Ocarina of Time: Can teleport to select locations.
Can heal magical diseases (see MM).
Can change day to night and vice versa.
Can summon a scarecrow.
Can freeze undead for 2 rounds or until they're attacked.
All of these require a 2 rounds to do, uninterrupted or with a concentration check.

Each of the following can only be used 3/day (I'm trying to keep these balanced).
Din's Fire: Casts fireball on everyone around you, but you take no damage.
Nayru's Love: Makes user invincible for 5 rounds.
Farore's Wind: User can teleport, just like the spell, but can also teleport back by standing where they teleported to.

Boomerang: Range of 30 ft. Deals bludgeoning damage and is stunning.
Hookshot/Clawshot/Longshot: Range of 50 ft. Deals piercing damage on enemies and can disarm. If shot at a sturdy wooden surface (or grating in the case of the clawshot) it will carry the user over to it.
Bow: Can make fire, ice, or light arrows up to 3/day each.
Bombs: They're bombs.
Magic armor: Forget it, too similar to Nayru's Love.

Oh, and Link can also eat the hearts of his fallen enemies to restore health.:smalltongue:

Roderick_BR
2007-11-06, 12:18 PM
I've been wondering about it for a while. I'd say he's a fighter specialized in long sword and long bow.
Maybe throw in some prestige class, or maybe warblade for some maneuvers. Or a ranger/warblade. That sounds more right.
And yes, Link uses magic from itens. Most of them could be activated with a cross-class UMD check.

I tried to stat his itens once. Lemme see what I can gather.

Sword:
level 1: Normal long sword.
level 2 (Master sword): Long sword +1, special powers
level 3 (tempered): Long sword +2, special powers
level 4 (gold): Long sword +3, holy, special powers
Special powers:
When the user is above 90% of his maximum HP, he can, as a default action, make a slashing move, sending a blade made of force shot from his sword and hitting a target with a ranged attack.
Dispell: Like a Holy Sword wielded by a paladin.
Deflect: The wielder can ready an action to deflect any spell against a caster as if he had the Deflect Spell cast on him.
The Master Sword is a major artifact that requires the wielder to be good aligned to activate it's powers (an evil aligned wielder will suffer a -4 negative levels effect, as long as he hold the sword, these negative levels can't be removed otherwise).

Shield:
Blue: Normal steel large shield.
Red: Shield +1, fire resistance 10
Mirror: Shield +2, grants the wielder the ability to block magical attacks. Mechanically, it works like Improved Evasion.

Clothes:
Green tunic: Normal leather armor
Blue tunic: chain shirt +1.
Red tunic: Mithral chain mail +2.

Boomerang:
Blue: +1 boomerang, returning, stunning.
Red: +2 boomerang, returning, stunning, increased range.

Bombs: After ignited and trown, explodes after 1 round, dealing 1d6 points of fire damage (1 splash fire damage), and 1d6 points of sonic damage (1 splash sonic damage)

Bow and arrows: Normal bow and arrow

Silver arrows: Silver arrows +1

Lamp, bugcatcher net, bootles, shovel: Normal itens, maybe MW or dwarven craft itens for more resitance.

Speed boots: Doubles running speed and adds 1d8 points of damage to charging attacks.

Zora's flippers: Grants swimming speed.

Cape of invisibility: Makes the wearer invisible. Making an attack while wearing it deactivates the invisibility.

Rods of fire/ice: Probably shots orbs of fire/ice respectively.

Staffs: I don't remember the names, but one grants stone skin for 10 round/day, and the other a small version of ironwall/fabricate to build small blocks of... something.

Hookshot: Special tool that replaces a MW hope/hook, can be used to pull creatures (or himself) or objects with a bullrush attempt (no AoO). Deals 1d6 points of puncturing damage with a ranged attack. Make a grapple check to make the hook cling to an enemy.

Book: Grants a +10 circunstance check to translate that weird language, even if the reader has no ranks in Decyphre Script.

Flute: Can summon 3/day a large bird that can provide transport.

Medallions: Can summon several magical effects. Need to think about this one.

Magic mirror: Sends the wielder back to his home place with a dimensional travel effect.

Moon Pearl: +10 bonus to resist Polymorph effects.

Megaton Hammer: +3 adamant greathammer

Power Gloves: Str +4, can carry and throw small sized rocks as a giant. Can pick up and throw medium sized rocks, but can walk only 5ft while carrying one.

Titan's Mitts: Str +6, can carry and throw medium sized rocks as a giant. Can pick up and throw large sized rocks, but can walk only 5ft while carrying one.

Magic Powder: Wondrous item, 20 "charges". Works as a rod of wonder when tossed over something.

EDIT: Ah, mega bomb. Something like 10d6 fire/10d6 sonic damage in a 30x30 area. Practically a minor artifact. And changing the master sword entry. That's still a major artifact because of the several powers.

I think I forgot something here and there.

Fuum Bango
2007-11-06, 01:10 PM
I'd like to point out that the Triforce of Courage more that likely gives him the power to weild Triforce related items skillfully and stops fear effects.

The first Link (Well, lets not talk timelines, I mean the first game) was a straight Fighter. He just walking into dungeons and battled, so not even part rogue.
The second? Fighter/Sorcerer
A Link to the Past & Link's Awakening? Bard/Fighter or Rogue/Fighter, he didn't seem much of a fighter, did a bit of fighting, a bit of sneaking and could weild all manner of items of a magical nature with ease. In Awakening he gained some more levels in Bard.
Our good old hero of time? Ranger/Bard. Got to be, his animal companion was Epona or even Navi, he could cast magic through music, used a bow well and was liked by strangers.
I haven't played the newer games, but he seems to be a Ranger.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-06, 01:31 PM
Oh come on. Save Navi, Link's a one person party. Clearly he's some kinda of messed up three-way gestalt that's been poorly optimized.

Draz74
2007-11-06, 01:37 PM
Factotum 3 / Warblade 12.

Factotum gives him a bit of UMD, plus the feeling that he might learn some minor spellcasting eventually; plus the flexible ability to be a solo party; plus proficiency with ranged weapons.

Warblade gets him all his other stuff. Well, at least when you add a bunch of magic items.

Frosty
2007-11-06, 02:09 PM
Forget Link. What about Zelda? she's gotta be some sort of cool spellcasting class.

Person_Man
2007-11-06, 02:24 PM
Forget Link. What about Zelda? she's gotta be some sort of cool spellcasting class.

Well, she obviously has some sort of Dominate Person or Geas cast on Link. I don't know any man who would willingly go through so much garbage for a woman he's barely met.

On the other hand, she obviously has a Wisdom of 1, because she manages to get captured on a daily basis and then just sits around waiting to be rescued.

captain_decadence
2007-11-06, 02:29 PM
She has a spell that somehow causes an inability to refuse any request and traps them in insidious conversation loops.

Zelda: So you'll help me?
Link: *chooses negative, can't speak*
Zelda: *Looks disappointed for two seconds* So you'll help me?
Link: *again chooses no*
Link: *chooses no in a desperate attempt to not have to go through all this again and retrieve the three stones so that ganon can use them, once they are all collected by nice little Link, to take over the world*
Link: *agrees*

Dalboz of Gurth
2007-11-06, 02:33 PM
I'd say a Ranger/Knight of the Rose type hybrid. :D

Mewtarthio
2007-11-06, 03:22 PM
Zelda is what is known as a "living MacGuffin." Okay, OoT and WW Zeldas get off the hook, but all other Zeldas exist solely so that Link can rescue them.

Time for me to try my hand at these artifacts:

Triforce of Power

The Triforce of Power transforms its wielder into a god among mortals. Type changes to Outsider (Extraplanar [native to Golden Realm]). Additionally, the wielder gains Divine Rank 0 while outside the Golden Realm and Divine Rank 1 (portfolio: Golden Realm) while inside it. Further, the wielder cannot be killed: All damage is considered to be nonlethal damage, as though the wielder had Regeneration 1.

Once per day, the wielder can take on an alternate form (either bipedal or quadrupedal) reflecting his true nature:
His size increases by two categories.
His BAB is increased to equal his HD.
His Regeneration improves to 10
He gains a special weapon depending on his chosen form: A bipedal form grants him an oversized manufactured weapon of his choice (which he wields without size penalty), while a quadrupedal form grants him a gore attack which does double damage on charges. Both special weapons overcome all DR and have an enhancement bonus to hit and damage equal to one-third the wielder's HD (rounded down).
The wielder's appearance also changes, becoming a reflection of soul. Any creature that perceives this new form is overcome with fear, as follows:
{table]HD | Effect
5 or less | Cowering
6-10 | Panicked
11-15 | Frightened
16+ | Shaken[/table]
A Will save (DC 15 + 1/2 wielder's HD + wielder's Cha modifier) reduces the fear by one level.
Lastly, taking this alternate form heals the wielder of all damage.The wielder cannot return to his normal form for twenty-four hours. Assuming this alternate form is a standard action.

Note that the Regeneration is complete and infallible. It is possible to deal lethal damage to the wielder (see below), but this requires an epic quest. If the wielder of the Triforce of Power would die for any reason, he instead takes nonlethal damage equal to 10 plus his max HP. The wielder cannot be defeated permanently outside the Golden Realm. The only way to deal with him is to render him unconscious via nonlethal damage when he is in his alternate form and use a wish, miracle, or similar effect to banish him to the Golden Realm (attempting this on his normal form merely forces him into his alternate). Once the wielder is banished, however, the gods can work on setting up seals to keep him there: He cannot escape unless another being embarks on a quest to free him.

The wielder of the Triforce of Power can only be permanently slain by travelling to the Golden Realm and seeking out a powerful entity capable of imbuing weapons with the energies of the Triforce. Said entity must be the most powerful creature in the Golden Realm that opposes the wielder of the Triforce, and the ritual must be done within the building that houses the Triforce. Weapons so imbued are capable of dealing lethal damage to the wielder of the Triforce of Power.

Triforce of Courage

The Triforce of Courage renders its wielder immune to fear effects. Owning this power also automatically allows the wielder to use the Master Sword. Additionally, the wielder's staunch determination renders him immune to magical effects that attempt to control his actions or thoughts over a period of time, as per the spell protection from evil. Lastly, he cannot be hindered by an effect that would slay him instantly: If he must succeed on a saving throw or die, he succeeds; if he has at least 10 hp, he cannot be dropped below 0; if anything short of an artifact or salient divine ability would otherwise kill him with no save, he is reduced to 0 hp instead, so long as his hp is positive; and he automatically stabilizing when dying.

Triforce of Wisdom

The Triforce of Wisdom has more subtle effects than the others. It's most noticeable effect is that its wielder gains a +5 untyped bonus to each mental ability score. Additionally, the wielder's spellcasting is enhanced: She gains an effective +2 levels to her spellcasting class for the purpose of spells known, spells per day, and caster level. If she has multiple spellcasting classes, the bonus goes to the class with the most levels (she may cast a tiebreaker vote if necessary). If she has no spellcasting classes, she casts spells as a second-level cleric.

In times of peace, the Triforce of Wisdom is prized above all, because its wielder is capable of discerning the best actions to take for a kingdom. Whether as an actual ruler or an advisor, so long as the holder of the Triforce of Wisdom holds political power, the land is bound to prosper.

The Triforce

The Triforce is the physical essence of divine power, left behind by the three goddesses after the creation of Hyrule. It is highly sought after for its reality-altering abilities: One who claims the Triforce can channel the power of the goddesses and remake the world to his liking. If an intelligent creature comes into contact with the Triforce, its heart and mind are judged for a balance between courage, wisdom, and power. If these three facets are found to be in imbalace, the Triforce splits into separate pieces; one each of courage, wisdom, and power. The one who touched the Triforce keeps the piece that most exemplifies him, while the other two are instantly transported to those who most deserve them. If, on the other hand, the creature has all three aspects of the Triforce in harmony, he can let a single desire be known.

If the Triforce is split, its scattered aspects can be reunited. All three holders of the Triforce pieces must be gathered together, and at least one must be willing while the other two are willing, helpless, or dead (note, however, that if they have been dead for more than an hour, their piece will depart and seek a new owner). Once this is accomplished, a willing wielder of any Triforce piece may spend a minute focusing on the power of the Triforce, at the conclusion of which the power of the goddesses will be made whole again. As above, a creature may come in contact with the Triforce to have his greatest desire granted, only this time his soul is not first judged worthy: The three aspects have already been satisfied with their weilders, and the power of the Triforce now merely awaits a desire to grant.

A desire granted by the Triforce should never be confused with petty mortal magic such as a wish or miracle. When the Triforce grants a desire, it almost no limits to what it can accomplish. Furthermore, it always grants the desires honestly, according to what its user truly wants. Reality is altered, twisted, and reshaped to accomadate the desire, and the user will always find the result satisfactory. Note, however, that the Triforce does still have limits: Any DvR 17 or greater deity can veto a use of the Triforce, provided it affects the deity's portforlio and/or the gods themselves--such as by killing a deity or granting oneself divinity (though the veto may be overturned by a deity of greater rank). Once used, the Triforce vanishes.

Sinsie
2007-11-06, 04:15 PM
*Minor Spoilers from Twilight Princess*

I was wondering if Link would have had any Druid levels in Twilight Princess (on account of turning into a wolf and healing himself). Then again, magic artifacts could always be blamed for that (in fact, I think there was one that Midna was using on him after a certain point in the game). It also seems to me that Link does wear light armor because looking at his green tunic in Twilight Princess there appears to be chains around it, suggesting to me a chain shirt. If he has a chain shirt though he can't be a Druid, huh? :x

I was also thinking that Link should either be in the epic levels or just really ingenious. Mind-scrambling puzzles aside, he defeated humongous, sometimes even Colossal-sized bosses that would probably TPK standard D&D parties. I know useful items and artifacts were used, but even then he usually had to push himself to his limits. Plus, other than Ganondorf there didn't really seem to be any other PCs close to his level in the game (there was that one wizard fellow, but he chose his spells quite poorly in my opinion).

On a final note, he would probably need some feats from the Fighter class to cover all the actions he performs in-game (like whirlwind attack and his leap attack for example).

*End Spoilers*

Frosty
2007-11-06, 05:09 PM
He wins a lot because most attacks used against Link requires an attack roll (you can dodge it in-game) and apparently Link has a humongous Dex bonus. His shield is probably a +5 shield that doesn't limit his max dex and he took that feat that let's him add his shield to his touch AC.

Hecore
2007-11-06, 05:21 PM
Triforce of Courage

The Triforce of Courage renders its wielder immune to fear effects. Owning this power also automatically allows the wielder to use the Master Sword.

Triforce of Wisdom

The Triforce of Wisdom has no obvious effect. Its effects are more subtle and less actually valuable. As a slight drawback, the wielder of the Triforce of Wisdom is likely to get kidnapped by anyone wishing to reassemble the Triforce.

I'd have the Triforce of Courage give SR 15 + character level and the Triforce of Wisdom would give a few SA's usable per day/week. It would also increase your effective spellcasting level in any class that let you cast magic.

While the Triforce of Power clearly is the strongest it should corrupt the user and drive them to exercise it. This effect is mitigated if the wielder also holds the Triforce of Wisdom and is eliminated if they weild all three pieces (All three pieces also let the user get a free Wish, but even more powerful then the spell).

Eldmor
2007-11-06, 05:27 PM
I second Elf Warblade leading into Eternal Blade. Then his blade guide can buzz around the heads of enemies. It even has ranks in various knowledges to inform you of things! It can also make spot/search/listen checks for you and scream "HEY!" to alert you to it.
Someone better give me a cookie for that reference. :smalltongue:

Tyrael
2007-11-06, 05:44 PM
Link's INT is through the roof.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs20/f/2007/308/a/c/Rubix_Rubes_by_Hail_NekoYasha.png

hylian chozo
2007-11-06, 05:53 PM
The master sword
this sword appears to be a +3 holy bastard sword, but if swung while the user has full hitpoints, it launches a bolt of energy. This is a ranged touch attack dealing 1d6 damage. This is a force effect.
This sword is also known as the blade of evils bane and as such can make a smite attack three times per day using the wielder's ECL

Edit: that comic is hilarious

Mewtarthio
2007-11-06, 05:58 PM
I'd have the Triforce of Courage give SR 15 + character level and the Triforce of Wisdom would give a few SA's usable per day/week. It would also increase your effective spellcasting level in any class that let you cast magic.

I'm not sure if SR fits. Link hasn't shown any particular resistance to magic. On the flip side, though, I don't believe he's ever been controlled by magical domination and the like (which does exist in the world, as Twinrova demonstrated on Nabooru). Perhaps I could add a "Protection from Evil" clause against magical control.

Good point with the Triforce of Wisdom. It really is just a MacGuffin for the most part, but that sort of idea fits.

While the Triforce of Power clearly is the strongest it should corrupt the user and drive them to exercise it. This effect is mitigated if the wielder also holds the Triforce of Wisdom and is eliminated if they weild all three pieces (All three pieces also let the user get a free Wish, but even more powerful then the spell).

The trouble is, Ganon was pretty evil before he got the Triforce of Power. The Triforce just gave him the ability to expand his evil throughout the entire world. Granted, an evil person is more likely to get the Triforce of Power than anyone else, since the piece you retain is the piece that you prioritized the most, but I don't believe the Triforce itself corrupts people. I recall that the LttP manual explicitly stated that the Triforce is an amoral object (something along the lines of "It did not realize that Ganon's desires were evil; it merely granted them").

Indon
2007-11-06, 06:20 PM
Oh come on. Save Navi, Link's a one person party. Clearly he's some kinda of messed up three-way gestalt that's been poorly optimized.

He has 10 Charisma and has taken levels in Sorceror.

Navi is a familiar.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-06, 07:02 PM
Per Hecore's suggestions, I've editted the post on the Triforce.

Of course, the Triforce is probably statted up somewhere else, so I've just wasted my time. Bah, it was fun anyway.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-11-06, 08:59 PM
I don't know if link works at all as a D&D character. He doesn't advance himself; he just finds magic items that do it.

ocato
2007-11-06, 09:24 PM
She has a spell that somehow causes an inability to refuse any request and traps them in insidious conversation loops.

Zelda: So you'll help me?
Link: *chooses negative, can't speak*
Link: *again chooses no*
Link: *chooses no in a desperate attempt to not have to go through all this again and retrieve the three stones so that ganon can use them, once they are all collected by nice little Link, to take over the world*
Link: *agrees*

That's called a woman trick. They are tricksy.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-06, 09:28 PM
Aye. All women NPC's get this feat:

Irresistible charm

As an at will SLA, a female NPC that doesn't adventure with the party may influence the party to complete a quest for her, as per the geas/quest spell, with no saving throw. This ability can only be used for plot advancement purposes, and it will only work if the affected characters are comprised by a majority of males or the female NPC has some tie with one of the characters.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-06, 09:41 PM
He has 10 Charisma and has taken levels in Sorceror.

Navi is a familiar.

Nah. His charisma is through the roof for his obvious small set of paladin abilities. He just lack spells that don't require speaking components.

Seriously. Did you see the end of Wind Waker? That was one hell of a smite evil right there.

triforcel
2007-11-06, 10:11 PM
I honestly don't feel Link would work as a DnD character. If you want to make someone Linkish then I'd go with Ranger, good melee, good skills, and good with animals.

One of the problems of translating Link into DnD is that he reacts uniquely to falling damage. Whenever Link falls, no matter the height, he loses no more than half a heart. Some enemies attacking with large weapons can deal damage equivalent to a full heart or more. If this were DnD, then those enemies would have to be dealing around infinity d6 times two.

Some other unique abilities to consider for Link are:
1) No matter what the obstacle, Link is guaranteed to have gained the item required to pass it before passing it becomes a necessity.
2) All females irrevocably fall in love with Link with minimal effort.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-06, 10:23 PM
God, I would just like to point out that this thread has been done about once a month since I joined...

Anyway, I agree that Link prob. wouldn't work as a D&D character. If you were to want to make somthing similar: Ranger or Warblade (possibly Swordsage) are good choices.

Lastly, remember that most of Link's abilities are based on Items he uses (which makes him very much like a fighter :smallbiggrin: ). UMD might be a good choice.

KillianHawkeye
2007-11-06, 10:44 PM
I have no idea why everyone keeps going on about UMD. Most of Link's items are either weapons/armor/shield, wondrous items, or artifacts, which can generally be used by anyone.

He just doesn't need all this UMD, folks.

Indon
2007-11-06, 11:04 PM
That's called a woman trick. They are tricksy.

But thou must!

String
2007-11-06, 11:07 PM
I once statted a Legacy Item based on the master sword, but it was based off the idea that Link made it, not link acquired it. It started out as a +1 Longsword, and eventually became a +3 Holy Bane(Evil Outsiders) Longsword, with some nifty fireballs and stuff. Ended with a Plane Shift effect that occured 3/day anytime the wielder drew the sword from a stone surface (stabbing it into one or drawing it was a full-round action that provoked AoO, and require a concentration check if interupted.)

I also tryed to turn a Maul of Clouting into the Megaton hammer.

Raistlin1040
2007-11-06, 11:21 PM
Link is a level 20 Initiate of the Green Tunic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51744).

Lumina
2007-11-07, 06:06 AM
Hah; I think a "Special" made class might be cheating.

I think; after careful reading of comments and thoughts. I'm gonna go with the warblade or Swordsage style of character with some ranks dumped into UMD.

They Feel the most "Link" like to me; in the sense they get the ability to Use magic; but in more of a martial feeling way.
between that and custom made magic items (Stealing liberally from that one list somebody post here; THANKS!) I should get the character created the way I feel works nicely.

ChocolateChtulu
2007-11-07, 08:25 AM
In Ocarina of Time, Zelda might be a low level, multiclassed cloistered cleric/monk: she is certainly very knowledgeable, and in the second part she displays some monk-like abilities.

While we are speaking about OoT characters: Ganondorf, I think, is a fairly typical warlock - he flies around, throws energy blasts, laughs evilly, and tends to favor scheming or magic usage over direct physical confrontation, while Navi looks more like a weak form of lantern archon than a fairy.

kyuubigan
2007-11-20, 07:49 PM
For my Link build, I went straight fighter, avoiding unnecassary multiclassing nightmares. I was able to simulate most of his fighting techniques with the proper feat progression:

Spin Attack-Whirlwind Attack (PH)
Leaping Strike-Leap Attack (CA)
That multistab attack-Slashing Flurry (PHB2)

I also treated the Master Sword as a +3 Holy Bastard Sword of Speed, seeing as how many attacks he could make.

Anyhoo just thought I would put my two cents in on this one.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-20, 07:53 PM
Engage thread necromancy! Aye-Aye, Cap'n!

tsuyoshikentsu
2007-11-20, 08:39 PM
Meh. Ten days ain't so bad.

That said, I usually go Warblade/Eternal Blade, picking up Adamantine Hurricane, and buying some magic items. I've also suggested Shape Soulmeld (Soulspark Familiar) in the past.

Rogue 7
2007-11-20, 09:02 PM
In Ocarina of Time, Zelda might be a low level, multiclassed cloistered cleric/monk: she is certainly very knowledgeable, and in the second part she displays some monk-like abilities.

While we are speaking about OoT characters: Ganondorf, I think, is a fairly typical warlock - he flies around, throws energy blasts, laughs evilly, and tends to favor scheming or magic usage over direct physical confrontation, while Navi looks more like a weak form of lantern archon than a fairy.

Clearly you haven't beaten Twilight Princess. Ganondorf's got to have d20 hit die or something- it takes forever to kill him. Some sort of Gish, I think.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-21, 01:26 AM
Clearly you haven't beaten Twilight Princess. Ganondorf's got to have d20 hit die or something- it takes forever to kill him. Some sort of Gish, I think.

By Twilight Princess, he's also got the Triforce of Power and is using it to full effect. Heck, Zant worships him as a god, and derives epic clerical powers from him!

illathid
2007-11-21, 01:46 AM
Huh...I was gonna say Warblade/Eternal Blade with lots of magic items. XD

Well, that would explain Navi.

ZekeArgo
2007-11-21, 01:54 AM
Well, that would explain Navi.

Exactly. I can't see how anyone can even *look* at the eternal blade class abilities and the image of one and not immediately think of Link.

Seriously, anyone who wants to re-make him should just make a warblade/eternal blade

Xefas
2007-11-21, 01:59 AM
Eternal Blade was practically made for Link. You have to be an elf, and the crux of the class is a fine-sized flying ball of light that follows you around, shouting inanely at you, and granting you bonuses. A ball of light that you can't kill, no matter how hard you try.

I would also like to point out that the illustration next to the Eternal Blade class is an elf with a longsword and shield, wearing all green, and a funky hat.

The Professor
2007-11-21, 02:07 AM
Eternal Blade? I'm assuming ToB?

It's times like this I wish I'd picked that book up by now, but a combo of no funds, and nobody in my area CARRYING the dang thing has left me bereft.

When I made Link, I couldn't help but make him a Gestalt.

Bard//Ranger/Fighter is what he came out to be for me. Looked pretty nice.

Honestly, Link as a D&D character must be freakin' fearsome. I'd like to find some nice features for him to give him more actions, on account that he does a lot more in six seconds then just move and attack. I'd hate to be Ganon or anything standing in his way. Have you SEEN how many Major Artifacts this kid totes around with him? He must be death incarnate to almost anything.

ChocolateChtulu
2007-11-21, 04:26 AM

I have not played Twilight Princess at all, actually - Ocarina of Time has been the last game I really got into, I did not play Majora's Mask or Wind Waker either.

kyuubigan
2007-11-30, 02:49 AM
Honestly, Link as a D&D character must be freakin' fearsome.

Yeah he would be, probably on even level with Drizzt, maybe even stronger.

And I really didn't consider ToB when I did my build, and Warblade/Eternal Blade would work. I mean, the Eternal Blade's art bares a remarkable resemblance to Link.

AkTorrent
2011-02-06, 12:23 AM
i really dont think link has any diplomacy...

man: can i help you?

link:*throws jar at mans head

man:okay bye!

and he slices chickens....

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-02-06, 12:31 AM
wow. its been almost 3 years buddy. if they havent decided what class Link is, no one ever will.

SurlySeraph
2011-02-06, 09:27 AM
But there was a fair amount of consensus. Something fighty with Perform and UMD ranks; how best to represent his fightiness was the only issue.

But anyway, yeah, threadomancy.