PDA

View Full Version : Which "mook leader" enemy do you like the most?

Unoriginal
2020-12-26, 08:28 PM
D&D 5e does not have pre-set roles for creatures (thankfully, as far as I'm concerned). That is not to say that some NPCs don't have mechanical features that shines when they have a bunch of allies and/or underlings working with them, even though from a thematic/narrative point of view they are far from the only ones likely to have positions of authorities and the accompanying minions.

The Bandit Captain or the Adult Green Dragon, for example, are both fearsome combatants and oftentime will be in charge of weaker allies, but they lack any ability impacting their allies (aside from their CHA stat, depending on how the DM handles morale and the like). On the other hand, the Orc War Chief or the Drow House Captain do have capacities to influence the mooks they're working with.

My question is: among the creatures who do have abilities to affect their underlings, which ones do you like the best, and why?

While I'm not sure saying I like them the best is accurate, I have to say that the Drow House Captain's ability to give an ally advantage on attack rolls by attacking said ally with their whip is both cinematic, darkly humorous, and a pretty great way of showcasing the Drow's mindset and methods. Similarly, the Hobgoblin Captain's and Warlord's Leadership trait, which they share with the Knight NPC, illustrates and reinforces the thematics associated with them.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-26, 10:25 PM
While I'm not sure saying I like them the best is accurate, I have to say that the Drow House Captain's ability to give an ally advantage on attack rolls by attacking said ally with their whip is both cinematic, darkly humorous, and a pretty great way of showcasing the Drow's mindset and methods. Similarly, the Hobgoblin Captain's and Warlord's Leadership trait, which they share with the Knight NPC, illustrates and reinforces the thematics associated with them.
What tier of play are you getting at? In tier 1, the Knight's ability to cast a version of bless on his cadre of guards, scouts, tribal warriors, bandits, or berserkers, is a pretty nifty way of whittling away PC HP's if that is what you are after as a DM. I also like the Hobgoblin Devastator.

Unoriginal
2020-12-27, 07:12 AM
What tier of play are you getting at?

Any tier is good, though I get the impression (maybe wrongly) that NPCs with that kind of abilities get rarer once you cross CR 12.

Nod_Hero
2020-12-27, 12:12 PM
Goblin Boss, 100%
Throwing a different goblin in front of an attack meant for the Boss is so very gobliny...

Kane0
2020-12-27, 03:09 PM
I’m fond of the Spectator in a leader-of-minions role. I even made a stronger variant called the Overseer.

Azuresun
2020-12-27, 06:11 PM
Goblin Boss, 100%
Throwing a different goblin in front of an attack meant for the Boss is so very gobliny...

And it doesn't have to be an enemy goblin. :smallbiggrin:

Spiritchaser
2020-12-27, 07:03 PM
My current DM does this really well, and has nothing to do with abilities in the monster stat block.

90% of the time The party will have some plan, hopefully simple, generally not so much, to give us a strong edge.

In many of those groups of opponents there will be at least one thinker/strategist/leader who will direct their followers to effectively counter whatever shenanigans we’re pulling.

The leader’s contributions are three words here an angry grunt there, or even just pointing: you, move there!

With many types of foes he represents the intelligent thought he needs to put in to counter us through the actions of that foe.

Which is why our plan often includes our designated marksman having standing “instructions” (which he often ignores because CN) to murder the hell out of anything that seems to be giving orders.

Unoriginal
2020-12-27, 07:29 PM
My current DM does this really well, and has nothing to do with abilities in the monster stat block.

90% of the time The party will have some plan, hopefully simple, generally not so much, to give us a strong edge.

In many of those groups of opponents there will be at least one thinker/strategist/leader who will direct their followers to effectively counter whatever shenanigans we’re pulling.

The leader’s contributions are three words here an angry grunt there, or even just pointing: you, move there!

With many types of foes he represents the intelligent thought he needs to put in to counter us through the actions of that foe.

Which is why our plan often includes our designated marksman having standing “instructions” (which he often ignores because CN) to murder the hell out of anything that seems to be giving orders.

While it is pretty awesome your DM does include monster tactics and leadership as relevant factors in the fights, and I absolutely don't want to minimize that fact, this thread is about the NPCs who DO have abilities in their statblocks that influences their goons and other allies and said abilities.

As I said in the OP, 5e doesn't have pre-set roles for the creatures. An Ogre can be the enemy troops' leader (for often hilarious results), as can a Noble, an Imp, a Drow Mage, or just a NPC sharing the mooks' statblock but with authority for narrative reasons.

I’m fond of the Spectator in a leader-of-minions role. I even made a stronger variant called the Overseer.

Which of their abilities affect their minions?

True.

sandmote
2020-12-27, 09:24 PM
I like the idea of Heart of the Dragon very much, but I'm not sure it comes up often enough for the Kobold Dragonshield to really count here.

I suppose my answer would be the harpy matriarch? Visage of Desire is 1/Day (presumably in case someone uses the statblack for mooks at a higher tier) rather than refreshing to maintain the threat in any way, but it still helps the mooks to crit and steal the PC's equipment. Very fitting for a chaotic leader, especially if she lets the flock lure in prey and then re-snares whoever makes their saves in close range.

Any tier is good, though I get the impression (maybe wrongly) that NPCs with that kind of abilities get rarer once you cross CR 12. I get a similar impression, and I think its because competition for who's going to be the boss monster gets rarer too. The Hobgoblin captain is competed with the other CR 3 monsters, of which there's a lot, so it's helpful to provide a statblock for a stronger hobgoblin from the mostly hobgob army. Balors and Dragons are boss monsters because they're incredibly strong as is, and there's not much in the way of competition for what you'll use instead.

Although why Devils and Yugoloths don't get more such abilities I'm at a loss for. They're explicitly organized, and their tactical options are (a) magic summoning and (b) their allies share their damage immunity.

Kane0
2020-12-28, 03:54 AM
Which of their abilities affect their minions?

None, but three out of four rays are control effects rather than damage and it must use two different ones when firing.
So to me that screams ‘I don’t fight alone’, especially since it focuses on fighting at range and is moderately smart.

Vogie
2020-12-28, 12:48 PM

Please share :)

Kane0
2020-12-28, 05:03 PM
Please share :)

It's a little redundant with the Gauth and Deathkiss from Volo's now, but it was just a spectator with some higher numbers (HP, AC, DC, etc) plus:
- Once per long rest it can fire all four eye rays using its action instead of just two
- One eye ray was swapped for a healing one (usually the confusion or fear one), which can target itself
- It has fire and cold resistance but poison vulnerability (this was for story reasons IIRC, it was a while ago)

TyGuy
2020-12-28, 06:48 PM
My favorite is the goblin boss swapping positions. I think there's a cultist variant in MtoF for the same thing.

Not a ton of direct interactions like that on the stat blocks so I think DMs have to get creative with things that synergize and homebrew.