View Full Version : Do extra arms give you extra equipment slots?

Vault756
2020-12-27, 06:34 AM
Does a character with 4 arms get to wear 4 rings? What about bracers and gloves, do you get two pairs of those?

Logically 4 rings makes sense to me but bracers and gloves come in pairs and I feel like you need one on each hand to get the full effect of them.

Khedrac
2020-12-27, 07:32 AM
Not by default, but there is provision for the DM to assign a different selection of equipment slots to differently shaped races.

Thus a race with 4 arms might get extra slots, but a character from a 2-armed race that gets an extra pair of arms is very unlikely to do so.

Alcore
2020-12-27, 07:46 AM
The only pc race i can think of with more than two arms are those bug things...

typically no

But, as the poster above me stated, DM can bend for natural multi armed people. Though the editions i am familiar with allow you to make slotless items that can be worn anywhere. extra expensive

Jack_Simth
2020-12-27, 08:43 AM
Does a character with 4 arms get to wear 4 rings? What about bracers and gloves, do you get two pairs of those?

Logically 4 rings makes sense to me but bracers and gloves come in pairs and I feel like you need one on each hand to get the full effect of them.

As Khedrac said: Not by default, no, but there's explicit provision for the DM changing things up for nonstandard races.

For that matter, rings aren't strictly required to be worn on opposite hands - you can wear two on the same hand, if you like.

Clementx
2020-12-27, 10:47 AM
General pattern for monstrous races which have item slots spelled out is they have a different arrangement, not necessarily more. Non-humanoids usually are heavily restricted.

So a four armed race might have an extra set of gloves and two more rings, but no chest, belt, nor shoulder slot. Ask your DM, but don't expect to get extra slots (an Epic feat) as part and parcel, because the writer definitely didn't think of that when they wrote down an level adjustment.

Metastachydium
2020-12-27, 10:52 AM
The only pc race i can think of with more than two arms are those bug things...

typically no

But, as the poster above me stated, DM can bend for natural multi armed people. Though the editions i am familiar with allow you to make slotless items that can be worn anywhere. extra expensive

Wait, diopsids (don't call them bug things, it's demeaning) get extra slots?

hamishspence
2020-12-27, 11:03 AM
So a four armed race might have an extra set of gloves and two more rings, but no chest, belt, nor shoulder slot. Ask your DM, but don't expect to get extra slots (an Epic feat) as part and parcel, because the writer definitely didn't think of that when they wrote down an level adjustment.

Savage Species does have a nonepic feat for extra item slots - but yes, extra item slot beyond the humanoid norm require feats.

It's not mentioned in their entry in Dragon Compendium.

Dvati, from the same book, are "twins, played as one character" - they might be a good candidate for getting extra slots - because they don't have a modified humanoid body, they are two humanoid bodies.

Alcore
2020-12-27, 11:09 AM

Read carefully; i did not say extra slots. If they do it might say considering how rare more than two arms are. PC races that break from the usual shape or biology tend to have long paragraphs detailing the differences.

ShurikVch
2020-12-27, 11:31 AM
Note: there are such feats as Extra Item Space (Savage Species), Extra Rings (Eberron Campaign Setting), and Additional Magic Item Space (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#additionalMagicItemSpace).

Saint-Just
2020-12-27, 12:49 PM
About four-armed PCs - are thri-kreen somehow less standard than diopsids?

Alcore
2020-12-27, 03:23 PM
About four-armed PCs - are thri-kreen somehow less standard than diopsids?

Since i have only heard of one, i think not. Unless both are bug things. Thank you for reminding me of the name. What on earth is a diopsid?

The last game where i was in a party with a thri-kreen i tried stabbing it. DM told me it was a PC and i had my pick between a wolf, another odd monster, a goblin and the bug thing. Turns out the most normal of the bunch (the goblin) was the creature that was threatening me. He had such tiny indicators on the map it was hard to make out.

In the end i just took the AoO and shot my crossbow at the midgits attacking two monsters (also PCs/animal companions). Being my first 4e game, and as a dragonborn, the goblins were the only target on the map i recognized as a PC race. Horrible game. Not allowed to stab the monsters.

Buufreak
2020-12-28, 05:29 PM
What on earth is a diopsid?

Kreen are mantis people, while diopsid are beetle-like.

Vaern
2020-12-29, 10:20 PM
As a default rule, treat creatures of any shape as having all the normal body slots available. Creatures never gain extra body slots for having extra body parts (for example, a marilith still has only one hands body slot and two rings body slots).
Couldn't find anything on the SRD or Rules Compendium, but the rule is buried in MIC. Having extra limbs does not grant extra slots for magic items. On the other side of that coin, though, there are also rules in the same section saying that creatures who lack certain limbs or features do lose the corresponding magic item slots.

Malphegor
2020-12-30, 03:20 AM
Savage Species does have a nonepic feat for extra item slots - but yes, extra item slot beyond the humanoid norm require feats.

It's not mentioned in their entry in Dragon Compendium.

Dvati, from the same book, are "twins, played as one character" - they might be a good candidate for getting extra slots - because they don't have a modified humanoid body, they are two humanoid bodies.

I’ve always decided in order to make dvati more palateable to my dm if I ever play one I can only use one set of magic items between the bodies. Now, most of these that don’t enamate anything directly but alter the user can transfer their effects onto the other body I feel, much like a spell.

There is a very good argument that can be made in both bodies being able to wear separate sets of magic gear, seeing how they can wield separate magic items and use them separately, but it’s already a diplomacy cost in convincing a dm to accept dvati and their ‘for +1 LA have a extra body around’ let alone ‘get the benefit of the Extra Item Slot feat multiple times due to that body... for that 1 LA’

Bronk
2020-12-31, 12:00 PM

No, as others have said, etc., but the more hands you have, the more ringblades you can hold (AEG), even if you can only fight with one at a time.