PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Mind guide?

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-27, 12:03 PM
Hi, does anyone have any tips on the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer? I might be playing one in future - he was a Dragon Sorcerer but I'll be rebuilding as Aberrant Mind. He's level 6 to 8.

I think I kind of struggle with understanding the real effects of spell and metamagic combos as well.

Bobthewizard
2020-12-27, 06:43 PM
This isn't a guide, but I'm playing a 5th level one now so here's my advice.

1 - start variant human/custom lineage and take Metamagic Adept for 2 extra SP and 2 metamagic. This gives you an extra spell slot at level 2 and then more metamagic to use after that. For metamagic, I like twin, quicken, subtle, and one of empower or transmute.

2- request a blood well vial ASAP, for +1-3 on spell saves and +5SP per day.

3- trade out your spells as you level up

Here are the base spells:
1st arms of Hadar, dissonant whispers, mind sliver
3rd calm emotions, detect thoughts
5th hunger of Hadar, sending
7th Evard’s black tentacles, summon aberration (a spell in chapter 3)
9th Rary’s telepathic bond, telekinesis

Here's how I'd level up,
1- arms of Hadar, dissonant whispers, mage armor, sleep
2- add shield, take Tasha's hideous laughter for arms of Hadar
3- add web, calm emotions, and detect thoughts, take absorb elements for sleep
4- add misty step, take suggestion for calm emotions
5- add fireball, hunger of Hadar, sending
6- add fear or hypnotic pattern
7- add polymorph, Evard's tentacle, summon aberration
8- addd dimension door

Naanomi
2020-12-27, 09:39 PM
For my own stupid reasons, I wanted a spell list with no material components, so I ended up with...

Arms of Hadar
Dissonant Whispers
Calm Emotions
Detect Thoughts
Hunger of Hadar
Sending
Evard's Black Tentacles
Summon Aberration
Rary's Telepathic Bond
Telekinesis
Magic Missile
Shield
Detect Magic
Mind Spike
Tasha's Mind Whip
Counterspell
Enemies Abound
Dimension Door
Sickening Radiance
Snaptic Static
Far Step
Mental Prison
Teleport
Dominate Monster
Wish

Arms of Hadar -> Contact Other Plane
Hunger of Hadar -> Geas
Evard's Black Tentacles -> Modify Memory
Summon Aberration -> Psychic Scream

Kylar0990
2020-12-27, 11:35 PM

1 - start variant human/custom lineage and take Metamagic Adept for 2 extra SP and 2 metamagic. This gives you an extra spell slot at level 2 and then more metamagic to use after that. For metamagic, I like twin, quicken, subtle, and one of empower or transmute.

At level 2 you wouldn't be able to get an extra spell slot this way. The 2 SP granted by Metamagic Adept can only be used for metamagic. Your DM may not enforce this, but the feat says those 2 points can only be used for metamagic. This would let you use the 2 points you get from Font of Magic at 2nd level to be used toward the metamagic options you picked from the feat though.

AttilatheYeon
2020-12-28, 02:24 AM
At level 2 you wouldn't be able to get an extra spell slot this way. The 2 SP granted by Metamagic Adept can only be used for metamagic. Your DM may not enforce this, but the feat says those 2 points can only be used for metamagic. This would let you use the 2 points you get from Font of Magic at 2nd level to be used toward the metamagic options you picked from the feat though.

Yes, but all sorcs get Sorcery points at level 2 with no metamagic options yet. So, you could, just not with the feat. Which I believe was implied but not stated.

Kylar0990
2020-12-28, 04:03 AM
Yes, but all sorcs get Sorcery points at level 2 with no metamagic options yet. So, you could, just not with the feat. Which I believe was implied but not stated.

I just mention it because at 2nd level without metamagic adept all any sorcerer can do with their 2 sorcery points is create one 1st level spell slot so metamagic adept doesn't affect this at all. Having metamagic adept does let you use those 2 from font of magic for actual metamagic a bit sooner.

Bobthewizard
2020-12-28, 08:49 AM

You're right. It never crossed my mind though. I innocently used them to make an extra spell slot once at level 2 and my DM didn't say anything. I'd ask your DM. Most days I used it to twin a spell so you'd just use it for that, getting an extra target for Tasha's or dissonant whispers.

Kylar0990
2020-12-28, 03:54 PM
You're right. It never crossed my mind though. I innocently used them to make an extra spell slot once at level 2 and my DM didn't say anything. I'd ask your DM. Most days I used it to twin a spell so you'd just use it for that, getting an extra target for Tasha's or dissonant whispers.

For that one level is the only time I end up making spell slots with sorcery points until late in tier 2.

Playing a sorcerer I tend to use nearly all sorcery points for either metamagic or subclass abilities. It's too limited a resource in tier 1 and 2 to use to make spell slots. If you're using sorcery points to make spell slots you're making your sorcerer into a weaker version of a wizard. Wizards get arcane recovery without giving up their subclass abilities; metamagic is what makes the sorcerer completive with other casters.

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-29, 12:41 PM

2- request a blood well vial ASAP, for +1-3 on spell saves and +5SP per day.

3- trade out your spells as you level up

Here are the base spells:
1st arms of Hadar, dissonant whispers, mind sliver
3rd calm emotions, detect thoughts
5th hunger of Hadar, sending
7th Evard’s black tentacles, summon aberration (a spell in chapter 3)
9th Rary’s telepathic bond, telekinesis

Here's how I'd level up,
1- arms of Hadar, dissonant whispers, mage armor, sleep
2- add shield, take Tasha's hideous laughter for arms of Hadar
3- add web, calm emotions, and detect thoughts, take absorb elements for sleep
4- add misty step, take suggestion for calm emotions
5- add fireball, hunger of Hadar, sending
6- add fear or hypnotic pattern
7- add polymorph, Evard's tentacle, summon aberration
8- addd dimension door

Cool stuff. I think in Tier 2 the benefit of Metamagic Adept for a Sorcerer is mostly in the extra Metamagic known - so it's very tempting for the level 8 ASI.

I already spotted the Bloodwell Vial and of course it goes directly onto every Sorcerer's must-have list! :smallbiggrin:

For my own stupid reasons, I wanted a spell list with no material components, so I ended up with...

Arms of Hadar
Dissonant Whispers
Calm Emotions
Detect Thoughts
Hunger of Hadar
Sending
Evard's Black Tentacles
Summon Aberration
Rary's Telepathic Bond
Telekinesis
Magic Missile
Shield
Detect Magic
Mind Spike
Tasha's Mind Whip
Counterspell
Enemies Abound
Dimension Door
Sickening Radiance
Snaptic Static
Far Step
Mental Prison
Teleport
Dominate Monster
Wish

Arms of Hadar -> Contact Other Plane
Hunger of Hadar -> Geas

Ah, a pure psionicist build? :smallwink:

Necrosnoop110
2020-12-31, 10:55 AM
Wouldn't the 2nd level Suggestion spell (https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/suggestion) be absolutely, positively, unbelievably and almost unbearably required as if mandated by Gygax himself for 99.99% of Aberrant Mind builds?

Ok, I see that you've suggested it on leveling up. I would recommend taking it as soon as possible. With all the charm nerfs in 5E the Suggestion spell with its 8hr duration is mandatory, IMHO.

MaxWilson
2020-12-31, 02:26 PM

You can only swap these bonus spells for other spells of the same level. 4th level, not 5th and 9th.

There may be other similar errors in the build but these two jumped out at me.

Naanomi
2021-01-02, 10:07 PM
You can only swap these bonus spells for other spells of the same level. 4th level, not 5th and 9th.

There may be other similar errors in the build but these two jumped out at me.
You are 100% correct that I didn't pay much attention to the specifics of that build... technically two spells still have material components in this version, but they can be avoided as psionic spells... I could replace Rary's Telepathic Bond with Charm Monster; and Summon Aberration with Contact Other Plane or Geas

Here is something that probably fits the real rules better:

Race: Mountain Dwarf (Tashsa’s Modified)
Background:
8/14/16/12/8/17
Skills: Arcana, Survival, History, Persuasion
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Deep Speech
Tools: Masonry, Cartography, Land Vehicles, Navigation
Racial Weapon Proficiencies: Shortsword, Heavy Crossbow,

1:
Cantrip: Prestidigitation, Sword Burst, Mold Earth, Control Flames
Spells: Magic Missile, Shield
Psionic Spells: Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers, Mind Sliver

2:
Spells: Absorb Elements
Psionic Spell Replacement: Arms of Hadar -> Detect Magic

3:
Spells: Mind Spike
Psionic Spells: Calm Emotions, Detect Thoughts
Metamagic: Subtle Spell, Twinned Spell

4:
Cantrip: Shape Water
Spells: Misty Step
Feat/ASI: Telekinetic (+1 CHARISMA)

5:
Spells: Counterspell
Psionic Spells: Hunger of Hadar, Sending

6:
Spells: Dispel Magic
Psionic Spell Replacement: Hunger of Hadar -> Enemies Abound

7:
Spells: Dimension Door
Psionic Spells: Evard’s Black Tentacles, Summon Aberration

8:
Spells: Sickening Radiance
Psionic Spell Replacement: Evard’s Black Tentacles -> Confusion
Feat/ASI: +2 CHARISMA

9:
Spells: Synaptic Static
Psionic Spells: Rary’s Telepathic Bond, Telekinesis

10:
Cantrip: Gust
Spells: Telekinesis
Psionic Spell Replacement: Telekinesis -> Modify Memory
Metamagic: Heightened Spell

11:
Spells: Mental Prison

12:
Feat/ASI: Metamagic Adept (Extended Spell, Quickened Spell)

13:
Spells: Teleport

15:
Spells: Dominate Monster

16:
Feat/ASI: Warcaster

17:
Spells: Wish
Spell Replacement: Absorb Elements -> Psychic Scream
Metamagic: Distant Spell

19:
Feat/ASI: Lucky

XmonkTad
2021-01-04, 04:11 PM
Here is something that probably fits the real rules better:

Race: Mountain Dwarf (Tashsa’s Modified)
Background:
8/14/16/12/8/17
Skills: Arcana, Survival, History, Persuasion
Languages: Common, Dwarven, Deep Speech
Tools: Masonry, Cartography, Land Vehicles, Navigation
Racial Weapon Proficiencies: Shortsword, Heavy Crossbow,

1:
Cantrip: Prestidigitation, Sword Burst, Mold Earth, Control Flames
Spells: Magic Missile, Shield
Psionic Spells: Arms of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers, Mind Sliver

2:
Spells: Absorb Elements
Psionic Spell Replacement: Arms of Hadar -> Detect Magic

3:
Spells: Mind Spike
Psionic Spells: Calm Emotions, Detect Thoughts
Metamagic: Subtle Spell, Twinned Spell

4:
Cantrip: Shape Water
Spells: Misty Step
Feat/ASI: Telekinetic (+1 CHARISMA)

5:
Spells: Counterspell
Psionic Spells: Hunger of Hadar, Sending

6:
Spells: Dispel Magic
Psionic Spell Replacement: Hunger of Hadar -> Enemies Abound

7:
Spells: Dimension Door
Psionic Spells: Evard’s Black Tentacles, Summon Aberration

8:
Spells: Sickening Radiance
Psionic Spell Replacement: Evard’s Black Tentacles -> Confusion
Feat/ASI: +2 CHARISMA

9:
Spells: Synaptic Static
Psionic Spells: Rary’s Telepathic Bond, Telekinesis

10:
Cantrip: Gust
Spells: Telekinesis
Psionic Spell Replacement: Telekinesis -> Modify Memory
Metamagic: Heightened Spell

11:
Spells: Mental Prison

12:
Feat/ASI: Metamagic Adept (Extended Spell, Quickened Spell)

13:
Spells: Teleport

15:
Spells: Dominate Monster

16:
Feat/ASI: Warcaster

17:
Spells: Wish
Spell Replacement: Absorb Elements -> Psychic Scream
Metamagic: Distant Spell

19:
Feat/ASI: Lucky

I like this build, and would probably use it as the prototype to an aberrant mind build. I do wonder at the utility of having warcaster or lucky rather than just continuing to take metamagic adept feats. Having MORE sorc points, especially considering your ability to use them to cast your spells mentally, seems spot on for this character. Either way, I think you could feature this build front and center of any AM guide.

KorvinStarmast
2021-01-04, 04:22 PM
I like this build, and would probably use it as the prototype to an aberrant mind build. I do wonder at the utility of having warcaster or lucky rather than just continuing to take metamagic adept feats. Having MORE sorc points, especially considering your ability to use them to cast your spells mentally, seems spot on for this character. Either way, I think you could feature this build front and center of any AM guide. If we go back to the Feats rules in the PHB, you only get to take a feat once unless it says otherwise. Elemental Adept is the only one that says otherwise.

You can select this feat multiple times. Each time you do so, you must choose a different damage type.
EDIT: OK, I just got a look at that feat, and I didn't see that explicit language included.
I don't think one can take it multiple times. (If there has been an errata already, that would be good to know).

XmonkTad
2021-01-04, 05:11 PM
If we go back to the Feats rules in the PHB, you only get to take a feat once unless it says otherwise. Elemental Adept is the only one that says otherwise.

EDIT: OK, I just got a look at that feat, and I didn't see that explicit language included.
I don't think one can take it multiple times. (If there has been an errata already, that would be good to know).

That's a good point. I did not remember that rule. Looking at things like martial adept, I can see that it's likely intentional that you're only supposed to take it once. I doubt it would get errata'd away. Ah well.

bendking
2021-01-04, 06:31 PM
Here's a build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24860930&postcount=7) that I made partly because of this post, it might answer your requirements, though it focuses on social manipulation and subterfuge.

Merudo
2021-02-24, 03:40 AM
Curious which race(s) are recommended for Aberrant Mind.

Usually, I go Half Elf (either normal or drow variant). However there is some overlap in that both Half Elf and Aberrant Mind provide advantage on charm spells - maybe that's enough to pick a different race?

sophontteks
2021-02-24, 07:45 AM
Curious which race(s) are recommended for Aberrant Mind.

Usually, I go Half Elf (either normal or drow variant). However there is some overlap in that both Half Elf and Aberrant Mind provide advantage on charm spells - maybe that's enough to pick a different race?

Lightfoot halflings

While I won't say it is the best option, naturally stealthy is very good for sorcerers using effects that aren't obvious. Normally you can't hide in plain sight, but lightfoot halflings can hide behind party members. Party members are moving cover that's always available.

If you succeed in the stealth check, you can't be targeted at the start of combat. You also have some more sneaky options available during other encounters, since the enemy isn't aware you are there at all.

It works best on shadow sorcerers with the free dark vision, but still good enough to mention here.

Warlush
2021-02-24, 08:49 PM
Here's a build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24860930&postcount=7) that I made partly because of this post, it might answer your requirements, though it focuses on social manipulation and subterfuge.

Yes yes yes. Excellent guide. I've always wanted to do this with a Warlock, but alas with no subtle spell and so few slots I couldn't really pull it off. But with all these features combined you really can bring civilization to it's knees. Move over Lore Bard, hit the bricks Master Mind. This is THE single classed Social God.