PDA

View Full Version : Rate my Houserule: Flurry of Blows allows one monk weapon attack

CheddarChampion
2020-12-27, 06:00 PM
I have the opinion that the Monk could use a bit of a boost. Would this houserule achieve that?

"When using Flurry of Blows, the Monk can opt to make one unarmed strike and one attack with a monk weapon instead of the normal two unarmed strikes."

I figure this is mostly a small boost at lower levels, probably +2 damage per flurry (ignoring accuracy and critical hits). +1 more if they pick up the dueling fighting style, +1 more if they're a Kensei, and +1 more if they get a +1 weapon. At high levels it isn't as much of a boost.

What do you think? Is there a big consequence I haven't thought of?

MaxWilson
2020-12-27, 06:37 PM
I have the opinion that the Monk could use a bit of a boost. Would this houserule achieve that?

"When using Flurry of Blows, the Monk can opt to make one unarmed strike and one attack with a monk weapon instead of the normal two unarmed strikes."

I figure this is mostly a small boost at lower levels, probably +2 damage per flurry (ignoring accuracy and critical hits). +1 more if they pick up the dueling fighting style, +1 more if they're a Kensei, and +1 more if they get a +1 weapon. At high levels it isn't as much of a boost.

It does allow Sharpshooter/GWM attacks. Not necessarily a bad thing but it's potentially a lot more than +3 damage per flurry.

Arkhios
2020-12-28, 10:20 AM
It does allow Sharpshooter/GWM attacks. Not necessarily a bad thing but it's potentially a lot more than +3 damage per flurry.

You're only half right, I'm afraid. GWM requires a Heavy Weapon to benefit from the "power attack", and none of the monk subclasses makes you able to count Heavy Weapons as your monk weapons. Not even Kensei, which specifically excludes them as valid options.

elyktsorb
2020-12-28, 10:45 AM

I mean your allowing weapons that deal additional damage per hit to be worth more to them. Like a Flame Tongue will deal an addition 2d6 fire damage per hit. So with 3 weapon attacks that's 2 additional d6. The weapons individual damage is meaningless since the martial arts damage would scale it up regardless after awhile. So it would be very short term buff in weapon damage at low levels.

And yeah, as you said, abilities that would given them more damage on weapons become more favorable.

Honestly it seems a bit pointless, if your that worried about the d4 damage at low levels, just make the martial arts die start as a d6. Doesn't really break much.

Minice
2020-12-28, 11:33 AM
Monks already get 2 attacks at 1st level, 3 attacks by 2nd, and 4 by 5th. Honestly their pretty good early. and later an extra vorpal weapon hit or another op weapon would be a lot extra, and overlap a bit with fighters being good with weapons.