PDA

View Full Version : Optimization A Fresh Take on the Alchemist (Multiclass)

Silpharon
2020-12-27, 06:10 PM
I've heard a lot of rumblings about how the alchemist is the worst subclass of the artificer. I don't necessarily disagree for a pure 20 artificer, but I think there a few multiclass builds enabled through Tasha's that can emphasize it's strengths. Without further ado...

The Healer (and competent firebolt slinger)

Class build: Alchemist 11/Wildfire Druid 6/Fighter 2/Life Cleric 1
Race: Mark of Healing Halfling
Stats: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 8 (point buy + racial)
ASI/Feats: Spell sniper, Fey Touched (int, gift of alacrity), Int+2

Features:

Half Plate (chitin) + Shield + Defense Fighting Style + Enhanced Defense Infusion = 22 AC base (or 19 AC if you're limited to Hide Armor by the druid flavor text)
Alchemical Savant + Enhanced Bond (Wildfire Druid) provides an extra 1d8+int mod to your fire artificer spells
Alchemical Savant + Enhanced Bond (Wildfire Druid) + Disciple of Life (Cleric) provides an extra 1d8+int mod+2+spell level to your healing artificer spells
Mark of Healing Halfling provides Prayer of Healing on the Artificer spell list, this allows your out of combat healing to be massive: 3d8+2*int_mod+4 to up to 6 characters for one 2nd level spell slot
Firebolt at 17 is 4d10+1d8+int
Action surge can double the healing or firebolts

The Fireball Champion

Class build: Alchemist 5/Evocation Wizard 15
Race: Custom Lineage Tiefling
Stats: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 8 (point buy + racial)
ASI/Feats: Flames of Phlegethos (int), Spell sniper, Artificer Initiate, Int+2, Metamagic Adept

Features:

Half Plate + Shield + Enhanced Defense = 20 AC base
Artificer Initiate feat allows you to use your alchemist tools as your wizard spellcasting focus
Alchemical Savant + Empowered Evocation provides an extra 2x int mod to your fire/poison/acid/necrotic wizard spells with a material component (including fireball)
Infestation is the goto cantrip, providing 4d6+2*int_mod on success, or still half that (with Potent Cantrip) even on fail
Flames of Phlegethos provides roughly ~0.5 extra damage per die roll for fire damage
Base fireball does 41.33 avg damage instead of the typical 28 damage (33 for Evo Wizard)
Still have level 9 spell slots

The Fire Orb Slayer

Class build: Alchemist 5/Divination Wizard 13/Grave Cleric 2
Race: Custom Lineage Tiefling
Stats: Str 8, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 8 (point buy + racial)
ASI/Feats: Flames of Phlegethos (int), Spell sniper, Artificer Initiate, Int+2, Metamagic Adept

Features:

Most of the same benefits as the fireball champion, but focused on single target damage
Take quicken metamagic, then use Path to the Grave as an action, and level 9 Chromatic Orb as bonus action. With a Portent 20 that'll do 227.25 average damage, even more if you're concentrating on Elemental Bane or similar.

Don't forget the All-Purpose Tool can be an Alchemist Tool for +1/2/3 spell attack or save DC!

Thoughts?

Verble
2020-12-27, 06:33 PM
The first build with druid levels means you can't wear metal half-plate.

Silpharon
2020-12-27, 06:38 PM
The first build with druid levels means you can't wear metal half-plate.

Call it Chitin then instead of metal, I think most DMs are cool with this. Still, valid point, I clarified that AC would be 3 less with Hide Armor.

LordShade
2020-12-27, 10:57 PM
Call it Chitin then instead of metal, I think most DMs are cool with this. Still, valid point, I clarified that AC would be 3 less with Hide Armor.

Wouldn't it be better to combine Alchemist with Dragon Sorc and Celestial Warlock, if you're going for a firebolt spam build?

Silpharon
2020-12-27, 11:45 PM
Wouldn't it be better to combine Alchemist with Dragon Sorc and Celestial Warlock, if you're going for a firebolt spam build?

I don't think so, that'd be MAD (int modifier for alchemist, cha for warlock/sorc).

Silpharon
2020-12-30, 03:00 PM
I added a fire chromatic orb focused build. This could also be for poison/necrotic/acid, though at slightly less damage.

I think all these builds work pretty well, though the Healer and Fire Orb builds are slightly more likely...I think an Evo wizard would want to keep going to 17.

Blood of Gaea
2020-12-31, 05:33 PM
I honestly think getting your 12th and 7th level in Artificer and Druid would be much more valuable than Fighter 2.

Silpharon
2020-12-31, 08:31 PM
I honestly think getting your 12th and 7th level in Artificer and Druid would be much more valuable than Fighter 2.

If you want the ASI or a specific 4th level druid spell, sure, but you won't have the wisdom to have a high spell DC. I'd say alchemist 13 is another option, but the utility of getting 1/Sr two actions for extra heals or Revivify/cure wounds is pretty good too.