PDA

View Full Version : Post-Tasha Sorc vs. Wizard spell prep

J-H
2020-12-27, 07:17 PM
I'd like to confirm that I am assessing things correctly. Please note this is for class balance discussions, and does not use any new optional rules about changing sorcerer spells overnight, because I don't have my copy yet. I'm specifically looking at what Aberrant Mind and Clockwork do for Sorcerers, and what a similar back-porting of extra spells known does for the pre-existing subclasses.

Pre Tasha
Wizard
Can learn any spell he can find a scroll for.
Can change prepared spells overnight.
Has abilities related to a particular specialization.
Has more spells available to cast per day than a sorcerer.
Can prepare a larger number of high-level spells to make better use of high-level spell slots.

Sorcerer
Knows and can prepare fewer spells than a wizard.
Has abilities related to a particular theme, generally on the weaker side.
Can only change out one spell known per level-up.
Can do things with spells that wizards can't do, such as Twin, Quicken, Subtle, etc etc.
Only has ~15 spells known across 9 spell levels, meaning a sorcerer only has one spell known/prepared for one or more spell levels.

Post-Tasha
Wizard
No longer has more spells available to cast per day than a sorcerer.
Can still know and prepare more high-level spells at a lower cost. (Example: A wizard can prepare Power Word Kill, Wish, Meteor Swarm, and Prismatic wall, then use whichever 9th level spell he needs to; the sorcerer cannot do this without a major opportunity cost).

Sorcerer
Has approximately the same number of spells prepared as the wizard.
40% of spells known are sub-class driven, so spell list is less flexible.
Less opportunity cost for selecting additional high-level spells, but swapping around to have multiple spells known of level 6+ is still a slow process that prevents adapting the lower-level spell list.

Generally correct?

I think I like what I'm seeing balance-wise, as sorcerers now have more spells to cast, but their choices are still more limited and themed than a wizard's choices.

Salmon343
2020-12-27, 07:38 PM
I agree, definitely prefer it this way. In 3.5 Sorcerers knew way fewer spells than Wizards, but could cast more times per day. 5e essentially got rid of the negative effects of Vancian casting (don't have to choose a spell per slot, just a pool of spells for the day), so I feel like Sorcerers should know more spells at any point, but be limited in how they can select them. I like that the subclass spells let the Sorcerer choose themed spells from multiple list, gives them that flexibility in initial choice that they need. I only wish that WoTC had extended this to bonus spells for all of the previous Sorcerer subclasses, its such a massive bonus.

Gignere
2020-12-27, 09:59 PM
I'd like to confirm that I am assessing things correctly. Please note this is for class balance discussions, and does not use any new optional rules about changing sorcerer spells overnight, because I don't have my copy yet. I'm specifically looking at what Aberrant Mind and Clockwork do for Sorcerers, and what a similar back-porting of extra spells known does for the pre-existing subclasses.

Pre Tasha
Wizard
Can learn any spell he can find a scroll for.
Can change prepared spells overnight.
Has abilities related to a particular specialization.
Has more spells available to cast per day than a sorcerer.
Can prepare a larger number of high-level spells to make better use of high-level spell slots.

Sorcerer
Knows and can prepare fewer spells than a wizard.
Has abilities related to a particular theme, generally on the weaker side.
Can only change out one spell known per level-up.
Can do things with spells that wizards can't do, such as Twin, Quicken, Subtle, etc etc.
Only has ~15 spells known across 9 spell levels, meaning a sorcerer only has one spell known/prepared for one or more spell levels.

Post-Tasha
Wizard
No longer has more spells available to cast per day than a sorcerer.
Can still know and prepare more high-level spells at a lower cost. (Example: A wizard can prepare Power Word Kill, Wish, Meteor Swarm, and Prismatic wall, then use whichever 9th level spell he needs to; the sorcerer cannot do this without a major opportunity cost).

Sorcerer
Has approximately the same number of spells prepared as the wizard.
40% of spells known are sub-class driven, so spell list is less flexible.
Less opportunity cost for selecting additional high-level spells, but swapping around to have multiple spells known of level 6+ is still a slow process that prevents adapting the lower-level spell list.

Generally correct?

I think I like what I'm seeing balance-wise, as sorcerers now have more spells to cast, but their choices are still more limited and themed than a wizard's choices.

I think you need to add ritual casting for wizards which greatly increases the number of spells cast in a day and basically pseudo spells prepared for that day too.

LordShade
2020-12-27, 10:53 PM
I think you need to add ritual casting for wizards which greatly increases the number of spells cast in a day and basically pseudo spells prepared for that day too.

True, but sorcs (or anyone) can fully replicate that ability at the cost of one feat.

Gignere
2020-12-27, 11:04 PM
True, but sorcs (or anyone) can fully replicate that ability at the cost of one feat.

I thought we’re comparing base spell casting abilities.

J-H
2020-12-27, 11:19 PM
Yep, thanks. I did overlook that.

Elysiume
2020-12-28, 07:50 AM
I thought we’re comparing base spell casting abilities.I agree with your overall point, but I also agree with LordShade's rebuttal. If class A can do X but class B can replicate it with cost Y, that's noteworthy — this works both ways with Metamagic Adept granting a lesser form of a sorcerer's metamagic to wizards (&etc.).