PDA

View Full Version : Master scrivener scrolls

Scarytincan
2020-12-27, 07:40 PM
So what scrolls would people prioritize with this ability? The few I'd look at would be mage armor to free up that preparation slot (though it doesn't benefit from the upcast), hold person (though that takes concentration so won't hold up as well in later levels), or blindness /deafness (no concentration, but con save doesn't make it a super attractive cast most of the time).

What good options am I overlooking?

RogueJK
2020-12-27, 09:04 PM
The one that immediately comes to mind for combat use is Tasha's Mind Whip, as a good concentration-free, slot-free option for damage/debuff on two enemies.

Other than that, handy options might include:

False Life, for 10-14 Temp HP for an hour, as a decent slot-free way to pre-buff a bit.

Longstrider, to boost two party members' movement for an hour, again as a decent slot-free way to pre-buff a bit.

Invisibility, for use out of combat on two party members.

MaxWilson
2020-12-28, 02:29 AM
So what scrolls would people prioritize with this ability? The few I'd look at would be mage armor to free up that preparation slot (though it doesn't benefit from the upcast), hold person (though that takes concentration so won't hold up as well in later levels), or blindness /deafness (no concentration, but con save doesn't make it a super attractive cast most of the time).

What good options am I overlooking?

Continual Flame.

Scarytincan
2020-12-28, 02:55 PM
The one that immediately comes to mind for combat use is Tasha's Mind Whip, as a good concentration-free, slot-free option for damage/debuff on two enemies.

Other than that, handy options might include:

False Life, for 10-14 Temp HP for an hour, as a decent slot-free way to pre-buff a bit.

Longstrider, to boost two party members' movement for an hour, again as a decent slot-free way to pre-buff a bit.

Invisibility, for use out of combat on two party members.

Completely overlooked mind whip, thanks!

jojosskul
2020-12-29, 10:00 AM
Continual Flame.

In the same vein Arcane Lock. With a few days work you can get your home base well lit and extremely secured at no out of pocket cost to you!

Also Gentle Repose is a great "Oh **** someone's been killed but the cleric is occupied/unconscious and I just finished the monster with my last spell slot but if I wait too much longer Steve can't be revivified anymore" button.

MaxWilson
2020-12-29, 11:59 AM
In the same vein Arcane Lock. With a few days work you can get your home base well lit and extremely secured at no out of pocket cost to you!

Yep. You also get to auto-dispel Darkness, including the nasty Darkness + blindsight/truesight/Devil's Sight combo that monsters like Glabrezus, Nycaloths, and Black Abishai have.