PDA

View Full Version : [Dreamscarred Press] Path of War: Radiant Dawn's Sun's Gleam and Full Attacks

Wolfswift
2020-12-27, 10:44 PM
So I'm wondering if the Sun's Gleam ability of the Radiant Dawn discipline can be used multiple times in a full attack with BAB 6+? It says it can be used in place of a ranged attacks as part of a strike that essence can be invested in, but I'm wondering if each ranged attack in a full attack can be substituted for a Sun's Gleam or if using it is entirely in place of all ranged weapon attacks for the round. It states...

Sun’s Gleam (Su): A Radiant Dawn disciple can choose to fire a ray of light as a ranged touch attack at a target within close range (25 feet + 5 feet per 2 initiator levels) in place of making a ranged weapon attack as part of initiating a strike from a maneuver the initiator could invest essence into. This does not require a free hand. The initiator can choose to use their Strength modifier in place of their Dexterity modifier when firing a ray in this fashion. The ray of light deals force damage equal to 1d6 plus the initiator’s initiation modifier on a hit, plus any effects of the strike (such as additional damage or conditions). The disciple may choose to deal nonlethal damage with this attack at no penalty. As Sun’s Gleam can only be used as substitutes for attacks granted by maneuvers, an initiator cannot channel uses of it through weapons with the conductive weapon special property, or similar abilities.

What do y'all think?

Ramza00
2020-12-27, 11:05 PM
Must be used with a strike so no full attack unless it is PoW strike maneuvers that allows you to make a full attack as part of the strike.

Another_Lurker
2020-12-28, 12:28 AM
To use Sun's Gleam, as-written you have to be (1) making a ranged weapon attack, (2) from a Strike, (3) that you could invest Essence into. Far as I'm aware, only Radiant Dawn maneuvers care about Essence specifically. So sure, you could use Sun's Glare more than once in a turn if you had an RD maneuver that let you get off more than one ranged attack in a turn.

Wolfswift
2020-12-28, 06:06 AM
To use Sun's Gleam, as-written you have to be (1) making a ranged weapon attack, (2) from a Strike, (3) that you could invest Essence into. Far as I'm aware, only Radiant Dawn maneuvers care about Essence specifically. So sure, you could use Sun's Glare more than once in a turn if you had an RD maneuver that let you get off more than one ranged attack in a turn.

I feel you, but... You can take one of three feats that allow you to invest essence into any maneuver. High Noon, Sunrise or Sunset, they're incomparable with each other, but you can take any one of them and they each offer a different benefit whenever you use a maneuver with essence invested in it.

Anyhow, say I take the Sunrise feat and use Elemental Flux's strike, Cascade of Elemental Wrath, it's a strike that allows a full attack either ranged or melee. With Sunrise it can have essence invested into it, hence I could use Sun's Gleam for it.

So, in this case, I can use Sun's Gleam multiple times in this ranged full attack, right? Because previously I was thinking it might be one ray in place of any/all ranged weapon attacks if a strike did allow a full attack.

StSword
2020-12-28, 09:07 AM
It says "in place of a ranged weapon attack."

It doesn't say "in place of one ranged attack," which would limit it, so therefore by RAW if a ranged strike allows for multiple ranged weapon attacks the radiant dawn user can substitute as many as they like.

Since I can only assume that the author intended for this feature to allow a radiant dawn user to use their ranged strikes without weaponry (let's face it, weaponry with all those weapon enchantments are still a superior option), that this was RAI as well.

Wolfswift
2020-12-28, 01:05 PM
It says "in place of a ranged weapon attack."

It doesn't say "in place of one ranged attack," which would limit it, so therefore by RAW if a ranged strike allows for multiple ranged weapon attacks the radiant dawn user can substitute as many as they like.

Since I can only assume that the author intended for this feature to allow a radiant dawn user to use their ranged strikes without weaponry (let's face it, weaponry with all those weapon enchantments are still a superior option), that this was RAI as well.

Yeah, I think so too. I do think this about concludes this thread.

digiman619
2020-12-28, 03:55 PM
Technically, the "can invest Essence into" can apply to any maneuver you have if you have the Sunrise/High Noon/Sunset feat, each of which state "You may invest essence into maneuvers that you cannot normally invest essence into."

But the only specifically ranged maneuvers that I see that let you strike multiple targets that's not a line, cone or burst is the Double Solar Reflection and Triple Solar Reflection maneuvers from Solar Wind.

Ramza00
2020-12-28, 04:54 PM
Technically, the "can invest Essence into" can apply to any maneuver you have if you have the Sunrise/High Noon/Sunset feat, each of which state "You may invest essence into maneuvers that you cannot normally invest essence into."

But the only specifically ranged maneuvers that I see that let you strike multiple targets that's not a line, cone or burst is the Double Solar Reflection and Triple Solar Reflection maneuvers from Solar Wind.

Cascade of Elemental Wrath elemental flux 7 uses full attack line and it is melee or ranged.