PDA

View Full Version : 5e everything.

noob
2020-12-28, 10:53 AM
Is there is a group of people with the mentality to make everything as 5e content?
If yes where can they be found?

Grod_The_Giant
2020-12-28, 11:02 AM
Define "everything." Are you talking about updating 3.5e content? Extending 5e to other genres?

noob
2020-12-28, 11:11 AM
Define "everything." Are you talking about updating 3.5e content? Extending 5e to other genres?

Yes.
Also making 5e content based on each individual fiction that already exists or that does not yet exists.

Droppeddead
2020-12-28, 11:21 AM
Yes.
Also making 5e content based on each individual fiction that already exists or that does not yet exists.

You realize that you are asking for quite a lot, don't you?

Dienekes
2020-12-28, 11:27 AM
Yes.

That seems an insanely monumental task. You’re more likely to get smaller groups with the idea of concerting individual things to 5e.

But everything? How? There are some stories and gameplay that would not even work particularly well with 5es limitations.

Any setting with unlimited but weaker casting comes to mind. Or abilities that are not limited by rest/endurance. Or settings with no magic at all but focus on a better understanding of something 5e does particularly poorly: intrigue, mundane combat, warfare, economy building, etc.

Those would be pretty hard to 5e-ify in any reasonable way.

Willie the Duck
2020-12-28, 11:45 AM
Is there is a group of people with the mentality to make everything as 5e content?

They kinda tried that with 3e -- D20 Modern, D20 Future, Star Wars Roleplaying Game, T20 Traveller, D20 Mini Golf, D20 Mario Cart, D20 Donuts...

Overall, it kinda worked, but in general people decided that not everything needs to be squeezed into the D&D mold.

Regardless, I'm sure some people would be interested in doing some things using the 5e system (Adventures in Middle Earth was perfectly acceptable, if perhaps not 100% tuned correctly). I think, though, that it will be the case of pursuing each 5e port individually.

Unoriginal
2020-12-28, 12:24 PM
The only fiction D&D 5e truly represents well is D&D 5e.

It's not a slight against the system, it does what it is supposed to be doing, and does it well.

It's just that trying to push other settings in a D&D system means you end up with a round peg in a square hole.

PhoenixPhyre
2020-12-28, 01:11 PM
The only fiction D&D 5e truly represents well is D&D 5e.

It's not a slight against the system, it does what it is supposed to be doing, and does it well.

It's just that trying to push other settings in a D&D system means you end up with a round peg in a square hole.

Very much agreed. Even if you discard all the content (classes, spells, etc), the core mechanics make assumptions about the kind of game you're playing. Ones that work for 5e's baseline, but very poorly even for a lot of "similar" fantasy, let alone anything further afield.

Imbalance
2020-12-28, 01:24 PM
Mentality? Surely. Finding said group? ...Reddit? ...4chan? Good luck.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-12-28, 06:42 PM
Yes.
Updating D&D content from past editions is one thing, and--after 6 years--you can probably find multiple 5e conversions of anything with a little googling. But besides that...? There are some systems that are fun enough to be worth expanding to new genres (ie, using Mutants and Masterminds for fantasy), but 5e isn't one of them. It's not particularly flexible or brilliant or innovative, it's just...okay. It's good at D&D-the-genre, but there are better starting points for everything else.

Whatever you're after, I doubt you'll do better community-wise than the homebrew boards here.

RedMage125
2020-12-28, 11:49 PM

I've seen a LOT of it on DM's Guild. A lot of people post their homebrew there. Some of it is even free or "pay what you think is fair".

That said, I also have a bunch of Pintrest pins where people have made some interesting homebrew things and shared for free. Everything from statting out 4 Horsemen, to 5e combat stats for Santa Claus, to "fixes" for the Four Elements Monk.

Asisreo1
2020-12-29, 12:06 AM
Yes.
Hope this isn't uncool of me but I laughed at this response because its like one of those tasks where someone asks you to name every molecule as a chemist.

I convert things from established fiction and self-made fiction into D&D5e stuff all the time. In fact, a new project for my homebrew is to take all the Abnormalities in Lobotomy Corporation and convert them into monsters I put in my campaign. I'm also in the middle of converting the demons from SMT into 5e capable monsters and its both kinda easy and kinda hard.

Kane0
2020-12-29, 06:05 AM
‘Brew forums here, DMGuild, MFoV, i’m sure Reddit and TheHomeBrewery have a bunch of stuff too.

noob
2020-12-29, 07:08 AM
Hope this isn't uncool of me but I laughed at this response because its like one of those tasks where someone asks you to name every molecule as a chemist.

I convert things from established fiction and self-made fiction into D&D5e stuff all the time. In fact, a new project for my homebrew is to take all the Abnormalities in Lobotomy Corporation and convert them into monsters I put in my campaign. I'm also in the middle of converting the demons from SMT into 5e capable monsters and its both kinda easy and kinda hard.

It is not uncool to laugh.
I was asking if there was a community with the mentality of wanting to convert everything to 5e.
It does not means the community succeeds in the undertaking.
And yet there is chemists busy finding as many molecules to create as possible or creating some molecules for the sheer sport of it(like C2N12 or something similar(cyclical with hydrogens where not specified))
But yes I like weird monsters so if you can link them I am interested.

Anonymouswizard
2020-12-29, 07:42 AM
I was asking if there was a community with the mentality of wanting to convert everything to 5e.

Kind of. There's also a community that actively hates such efforts (as comes up in any 'worst RPG discussion).

The first thing to realise is that there is a group of players who want to play something else, but don't want to stop using D&D. So they will do their best to shoehorn D&D as written into the setting of their choice. This is a very divisive practice.

There are also people who put a lot of effort into designing alternate races, classes, and rules to run some other genre with the core 5e engine. This is till a little divisive, but most people respect the sheer amount of effort doing so takes.

What there is not is a single community for either of these (or the spectrum in between), but rather a tendency for them to occasionally appear in homebrew communities, if at all. I'm sure that for every 5e conversion we see there are a hundred we don't.

CharonsHelper
2020-12-29, 07:52 AM
There are also people who put a lot of effort into designing alternate races, classes, and rules to run some other genre with the core 5e engine. This is till a little divisive, but most people respect the sheer amount of effort doing so takes.

It's a lot of work - but it's still foolish. If you're doing that much work, you'd be better off using something which actually fits the setting/vibe from the ground up.

It's like saying that it's kinda impressive if someone builds a Pinewood Derby car out of legos. I mean - it's sort of impressive if it can survive the ramp - but it's never going to be as fast as someone who used an actual Pinewood Derby kit. That's just not what legos are designed for.

But yes OP - it's not terribly hard to find people who will try to make a variant of 5e for everything. This is likely primarily due to D&D being most peoples' first TTRPG.

DwarfFighter
2020-12-29, 06:46 PM
I'd love a well-crafted 5e Modern rules set.

-DF

noob
2020-12-31, 08:46 AM
I'd love a well-crafted 5e Modern rules set.

-DF

Modern is high in lethality.
I am not sure how it would mesh with fifth edition.

Littlemike137
2020-12-31, 09:13 AM
He does only characters, but Tulokthebarbarian on YT bases his entire channel around building characters from other worlds in DnD, such as Captain Marvel, Superman, Final Fantasy characters etc. I’d recommend checking him out if you haven’t already.