PDA

View Full Version : V Speculation (non-gender related!)

Jimorian
2007-11-06, 11:50 AM
In the main 502 thread, I speculated that perhaps Vaarsuvius hadn't appeared yet because V was off researching a way to counter the cloister effect on Azure City. Well, when following a link to an earlier comic (and then catching myself rereading the ones after it), I ran across: 130 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html)

So I'm wondering now, since many of these items have played a role in later strips (and 2 of them in the death of Roy sequence), if Xycon's Ring of Wizardry might be what V needs to break the effect. I've no idea what role such a ring plays in D&D, so I'm probably wrong, but this is as close to trying to guess a future strip as I'll prolly ever come. :smallwink:

Regneva
2007-11-06, 12:01 PM
Ring of wizardry only doubles the number of spells cou can cast for one spell slot. I highly doubt it will play any role in overcoming the effects of cloister.

Draz74
2007-11-06, 12:31 PM
V's Ring of Wizardry III has already come into play many times, quietly. He had enough Suggestion spells to use on the Black Dragon until it rolled a 1 on its save. How many Fireballs and Lightning Bolts and Hastes and Explosive Runes and Dispel Magics has V used, especially holding the breach vs. the hobgoblin hordes, that he wouldn't have been able to memorize without this ring?

geekyhedgehog
2007-11-06, 04:12 PM
:smallfurious:must resist urge to flame:smallfurious:

the point is whether or not it would help overcome cloister (not)

Regneva
2007-11-06, 06:16 PM
Well if it DID double the number of WISH spells one could cast, that would be cool I think...

Studoku
2007-11-06, 06:34 PM
Throwing twice as many fireballs at Xykon might work.

Seriously though, it doesn't have any specific anti-cloister powers.

brant167
2007-11-06, 07:21 PM
The only way I could see the ring helping V out with bypassing the cloister spell(which I seriously doubt...might have worked in 3rd ed with old Scrying rules) is if she/he uses it to assist in a Scrying spell; where in a personal item would give V a +4 DC while casting scry on Xykon. However if Xykon were to leave the cloister range it would make it much easier for V to know what’s going on.

Tre of the Wood
2007-11-06, 08:09 PM
I really should know, but when was Cloister cast? I read over most of the Azure battle scenes, but I didn't see it.

Jimorian
2007-11-06, 08:33 PM
I really should know, but when was Cloister cast? I read over most of the Azure battle scenes, but I didn't see it.

In #484 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html)

As I guessed, I'm probably wrong about this item coming up soon, but I do now kinda wonder when the rest of the items they got in that strip will come into play. Haley's bag of holding was just one of many, Elan still has those Elvan Boots, and Durkon's armor amulet is something like the ring, he's been using it, but it's a background that normally wouldn't get mentioned.

I so thought I had found some squids on the mantelpiece. Oh well. :smallwink:

Ariko
2007-11-06, 08:44 PM
it was cast in the final scene of the Azure City battle, the one where Roy encounters his father on the cloud for the first time

MCerberus
2007-11-06, 08:58 PM
I don't think V will get off the twist hook and something else also happened to him. The plot elemental is currently extremely active.

SlightlyEvil
2007-11-06, 10:07 PM
See, the Ring's effect may well have been in play, but in this comic, humor has always superseded mechanical consistency. Thus, he could easily have handwaved casting extra spells here and there. I think there may yet be a joke on the remaining items, even if there isn't one planned yet.