PDA

View Full Version : 3e - Optimizing a Dvati Psion/Fiend of Possession/Thrallherd?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-30, 04:02 PM
In this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?624625-The-1-Constitution-Challenge&p=24863595&viewfull=1#post24863595) I postulated a build stub for a pair of dvati twins who possess equipment, enemies, and thrallherd thralls to prevent being hit, in a sort of pseudo-The Big Guy Is With Me build (where one uses one's buffed psicrystal to fight for him).

I have ideas on my own for how to optimize such a build, but how would you go about qualifying for Fiend of Possession and Thrallherd using a pair of dvati twins, what goodies would you take to optimize it, what targets for possession would you want in an ideal situation, and how would you go about playing it in a game?

How would you do so if starting at early levels (say, levels 1-3), mid levels, pre-epic late game, and epic levels? I know that some builds that start early have different requirements than those starting late, so feel free to forward ideas for any or all of those categories.

I'm thinking all official printed and online 3e and 3.5 sources, as well as Dungeon and Dragon Magazines, Untapped Potential, and Hyperconscious. You can use a smattering of other sources (such as PF and 2nd/3rd party stuff), but keep them minimal. (You may include CPsi stuff, but no dumb nerfs, e.g. astral construct and such). Flaws: yes. Gestalt: no (or if you do, add it as an addendum to a non-gestalt build or suggestions).

Footnote: This isn't for an actual game.

unseenmage
2020-12-31, 11:07 AM
I have exactly nothing to offer for your build. Apologies but it's just been too long since I played with Thrallherd.

However, when I hear Dvati I remember that their planewide telepathy can be gamed a bit by having them put part of their body through a Planar Ring Gate and now its twice the planewide telepaathy.

My favorite method is to build a fine creature's P. Ring Gates and use them as body piercings.