PDA

View Full Version : Returning to: How to magically guard and ward Isengard

Melcar
2020-12-30, 09:06 PM
So in an attemp to not do thread necromancy of this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?611018-How-to-magically-guard-and-ward-Isengard) thread, im continueing it here for what its worth.

First of, I wanna thank everyong who participated in the original thread. There were some great ideas and questings. Let me first try to adress the some of the questions.

But really, the biggest barrier is deciding what sort of budget this organization has and what sort of foes they're actually trying to counter (and what sort of defenses you actually want). Because again, you can do pretty much anything with a magic item, wondrous architecture, magic trap, or just made up pricing (depending on which calculations you prefer). What levels (and feats) the leaders have make a large difference, but no matter what level they are they can still do infinite things with infinite gp. What is it you intend to throw into these defenses, or expect to have thrown into it by the players?

What sort of intruders do you expect? Defenses intended to keep out burglars and spies are different from those intended to keep out attacking armies.

To what extent are the defenses allowed to inconvenience the people living in the compound? My first thought when I saw this thread was the spell guards and wards (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/guardsAndWards.htm), but that doesn't have a way to make anyone immune to its effects, which means it's not that practical in places that are being used.

I have a fair deal of money to spend. But I naturally want to try and keep expenses down. But for now, lets just assume unlimited gold.

Good question. I assume no large scale armies, but bands of monsters might appear. The "academy" is placed fairly close (about 1 mile) to the western edge/ border of the High Forest, south of the Dessarin river, west of the star mountains. So it cannot be ruled out that there will be raiding parties of every sort of monster/ hostile groups living in the forests.

But, I assume more often than not, it will be some organization/ guild sending agents of some sort, I expect stealthy and/or arcane.

Some of the more restricted buildings, like the vaults, restricted section of library etc. inconvenience is not a factor, but its supposed to be a university where students and professors can do research, teaching and collaboration of the further development of magic. Therefore it will be a research facility and therefore I expect there will be some hostile activity!

The idea is to basically run it as a university, where mages are invited/ can apply to come and do research. Naturally they will be paid well and have all they research expenses paid for. This entails only that 1) the visiting mage must teach classes, 2) hand over a complete copy the findings of the research paper/report/formula/recipe to be archived and 3) allow the university priority to publish the findings under the in-house university press.