PDA

View Full Version : Trying to judge Item Summoning. Need help.

SangoProduction
2020-12-31, 12:55 AM
So, you've got the ability to summon in items, so long as they are made of vegetable matter (wood, and such), rock, or steel.
At a rate of 1 "small-size item" per level per cast. With a 10x10x(1/12) ft wall counting as 1 small item. And a two handed weapon counts as an item the same size as its user. (Don't ask me. That's a strange scale. But roll with it.)
The restrictions are: Any item made is nonmagical. The items are not "complex" (like alchemy, or fire arms). And they can't be particularly special (like rare herbs or poisons).
They are also temporary (lasting a couple minutes), and are obviously so, so no selling them to merchants.

What options does having such an ability truly give? I mean, battlefield control, definitely. Trapping enemies inside effective cages. Dropping weapons on people works. Creating bridges / stairs / other terrain traversal items is quite handy. And of course, a crowbar is always handy.
Not needing to carry around flint and steel is nice. Same with tents and bedrolls made of cotton. Infinite, expendable 10ft poles (also called sticks in some areas of the world) is quite the staple. Rope is always nice. Conjuring locks on doors is cool, although you could just create a wall.

But past that, I'm really running out of ideas for the practical utility of mundane items.

Jack_Simth
2020-12-31, 06:05 PM
So, you've got the ability to summon in items, so long as they are made of vegetable matter (wood, and such), rock, or steel.
At a rate of 1 "small-size item" per level per cast. With a 10x10x(1/12) ft wall counting as 1 small item. And a two handed weapon counts as an item the same size as its user. (Don't ask me. That's a strange scale. But roll with it.)
The restrictions are: Any item made is nonmagical. The items are not "complex" (like alchemy, or fire arms). And they can't be particularly special (like rare herbs or poisons).
They are also temporary (lasting a couple minutes), and are obviously so, so no selling them to merchants.

What options does having such an ability truly give? I mean, battlefield control, definitely. Trapping enemies inside effective cages. Dropping weapons on people works. Creating bridges / stairs / other terrain traversal items is quite handy. And of course, a crowbar is always handy.
Not needing to carry around flint and steel is nice. Same with tents and bedrolls made of cotton. Infinite, expendable 10ft poles (also called sticks in some areas of the world) is quite the staple. Rope is always nice. Conjuring locks on doors is cool, although you could just create a wall.

But past that, I'm really running out of ideas for the practical utility of mundane items.

At a couple of minutes, you're not getting much use out of the tent. Also, if it's a Conjouration (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#conjuration) effect, you can't drop things on top of folks:

A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it. (emphasis added)

You can still trap many different things for a while, though (four walls and a ceiling of steel). For melee only opponents, make cages with bars, and you can shoot them (although they do get some cover bonus to AC) and/or cast spells at them while they can't do much.

It's +2 to most skill checks (summon a masterwork tool), and useful for setting off mechanical traps (make a roller to send ahead).

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-31, 07:28 PM
It sounds like the equivalent of a major creation spell, but slightly more limited and without the need for Craft checks.

SangoProduction
2020-12-31, 08:39 PM
It sounds like the equivalent of a major creation spell, but slightly more limited and without the need for Craft checks.

Yeah. I think that was the inspiration for it.

Is there a good guide for that spell? I can't seem to find any.

Crake
2021-01-01, 10:13 AM
At a couple of minutes, you're not getting much use out of the tent. Also, if it's a Conjouration (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#conjuration) effect, you can't drop things on top of folks:
(emphasis added)

You can still trap many different things for a while, though (four walls and a ceiling of steel). For melee only opponents, make cages with bars, and you can shoot them (although they do get some cover bonus to AC) and/or cast spells at them while they can't do much.

It's +2 to most skill checks (summon a masterwork tool), and useful for setting off mechanical traps (make a roller to send ahead).

you could always do the wall of iron approach, by conjuring an unanchored wall and pushing it over toward your enemy so it topples onto them?

Jack_Simth
2021-01-01, 10:23 AM
you could always do the wall of iron approach, by conjuring an unanchored wall and pushing it over toward your enemy so it topples onto them?

Which, of course, requires another action, plus whatever roll the DM deems appropriate. Although if you can do simple mechanical things, I suppose you could also make a "kill box" that's four walls, and a ceiling held up by pegs tied to a cord (which you then pull).