PDA

View Full Version : Actually had a use for Mirthful Leaps...

samcifer
2020-12-31, 02:45 PM
For clarification, I'm playing a lv. 7 satyr hexblade 2/favored soul sorc 5 with 13 Strength.

So we had a session of our Wednesday game (the one from the Mud Men thread as well as the one about DMs needing to give their pcs necessary info) and were travelling along a path along a hill at the center of what had been a lake until recently. We were in bad shape and I had just killed an enemy mage in a cloud of darkness. We were next to a grate that lead 10' down a shaft into a small room with no other exits. We wanted to take a long rest, but boliwogs arrived and threw a grenade down to us. We were all on in the room and needed to get back out to fight the enemies, so after discussing with the dm, I got a jump boost off the paladin's hands to use his strength as well as Mirthful Leaps to leap up to the surface with a rope. I made it out and used my turn to tie the rope end I was carrying to a tree and the rest of the party made it up to the surface as well. We killed the boliwogs and a lizardman AND ARE ON ROUGH SHAPE. none of us have any spell slots or class resources left, are all low on HP (the life cleric had to be saved from death saves for the third battle in a row due to poor luck, and we are being watched by unseen foes, so we can't even get a long rest. The DM says we're near the end of the current quest, but I'm worried about being attacked again as another battle might end in a TPK for us even with the greater healing potions we have. At least me satyr got to shine before the end came for him?

We'll see, but at least that seemingly useless racial feature got to finally get some use. I'd assumed I'd never need to make use of it. :P

Dork_Forge
2021-01-01, 08:38 AM
It's great that you got to use the ability!

Did the DM rule that you neededthe bump from the Paladin? With a 13 Strength, even with a 1 on the Mirthful Leap die you should be able to high jump 4 feet up, then you can reach a height=your jump+(1.5 x your height). Though it is cooler just jumping straight up and landing on your hooves!

samcifer
2021-01-01, 03:13 PM
It's great that you got to use the ability!

Did the DM rule that you neededthe bump from the Paladin? With a 13 Strength, even with a 1 on the Mirthful Leap die you should be able to high jump 4 feet up, then you can reach a height=your jump+(1.5 x your height). Though it is cooler just jumping straight up and landing on your hooves!

it was 10 feet up the shaft to reach the surface. I only had 13 str while the paladin was at max, so I ran and got a boost from his feet to use his str instead of my own.I rolled a 6 on the d8, and the dm ruled that I cleared the hole.