PDA

View Full Version : Light and Dark - Lasers & Feelings for laser-sword-knights and blaster pilots

Tibbius
2021-01-01, 01:00 PM
https://img.itch.zone/aW1hZ2UvODY5NTg0LzQ4ODk3NzYucG5n/original/1miIN7.png
P.E.A.C.H.

You know those movies and characters.

The scoundrel who learns to love. The youth who becomes a mystic warrior. The sage who dies and rises ghostly to guide the youth. The princess who finds her power. Even the dark one who gains redemption at the cost of his life.

The laser swords.

They're a melodrama of light and dark, simplistic and enthralling for many.

Here's some simplistic rules for imitating those movies, based in John Harper's Lasers and Feelings. But they're adaptable to any setting, really.

Durazno
2021-01-02, 10:01 AM
The last note about not being good or evil seems more like advice for the Force Master than the players. The player characters are trying to balance light and dark, but you've placed virtues in both, and both will be required in different situations - more like you're acknowledging different ways of being good than saying "sometimes you should be evil."

Reading "enlightenment" under the "darkness" list was kind of funny - perhaps that should be "knowledge" instead? Another possibility could be putting knowledge freely spread under light and secrets/esoteric study under dark.

I'm not sure about the yinyang background, both because it's a little awkward to read on (it looks like the left and right columns try to bend around it a little, but the middle column has no choice but to plunge through) and because the light and dark in this game line up a lot more closely with yin and yang than in Star Wars, they still are different concepts. That said, I have no notion of what I'd suggest replacing the background with.

Tibbius
2021-01-04, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure about the yinyang background, both because it's a little awkward to read on (it looks like the left and right columns try to bend around it a little, but the middle column has no choice but to plunge through) and because the light and dark in this game line up a lot more closely with yin and yang than in Star Wars, they still are different concepts. That said, I have no notion of what I'd suggest replacing the background with.

After choosing the yin/yang symbol for a background, and getting some feedback about that choice, I did a few hours of reading about the elements and principles that symbol customarily represents. (That's where I got "enlightenment" and "mercy" as unexpected Dark characteristics, with "honor" and "passion" as Light characteristics). As a result, the game does diverge significantly from the polarized and very Western moral conceit of Star Wars. Edit to add: for example, Star Wars nearly but not quite inverts the traditional yin/yang - a key difference from total inversion is that in taijitsu Honor is grouped with Chaos and Action and Hardness.

noob
2021-01-04, 01:35 PM
I do not see the interest to strive for balance between light and dark in this system (it looks as if maxing up one or the other grants higher odds of success for rolls and apparently the side of an action is determined by how you do and describe it rather than what you do) and balancing good and evil is not an end in itself usually: people have motives(ex: get paid or vengeance or love and other classical stuff) and they can happen to be evil (vengeance) or good (saving people out of compassion) but people are usually not led by those two abstract concepts(of good and evil) and even more rarely led by "balance" between those.
I think the sad lack relatively to lazer and feelings is that it does not have a quick adventure generator.(but you did put a lot of speech about light and dark that can probably be trimmed a bit and you can probably change a bit the rolling mechanics) nor anything to describe for example your tools(no lazer swords involved despite what you wrote as a thread title nor any blaster nor any piloting) nor anything about the setting.

Tibbius
2021-01-06, 10:38 PM
I do not see the interest to strive for balance between light and dark in this system (it looks as if maxing up one or the other grants higher odds of success for rolls and apparently the side of an action is determined by how you do and describe it rather than what you do) and balancing good and evil is not an end in itself usually: people have motives(ex: get paid or vengeance or love and other classical stuff) and they can happen to be evil (vengeance) or good (saving people out of compassion) but people are usually not led by those two abstract concepts(of good and evil) and even more rarely led by "balance" between those.
I think the sad lack relatively to lazer and feelings is that it does not have a quick adventure generator.(but you did put a lot of speech about light and dark that can probably be trimmed a bit and you can probably change a bit the rolling mechanics) nor anything to describe for example your tools(no lazer swords involved despite what you wrote as a thread title nor any blaster nor any piloting) nor anything about the setting.

That's all, really, very substantive feedback! Thank you. I will take a look at how to revise this.