PDA

View Full Version : Magic: the gathering

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-06, 01:14 PM
Hello everybody. In case you haven't figured it out already, my name is Halna. Or, at least that's what I tell people.
Anyway, I'm trying to do a Magic: the gathering pseudo-contest on GITP. I need help figuring out how to do it.

Anyway, my basic idea is that you use your own cards, post your deck in a main thread, then go do battle with another person, while a judge oversees (all in another thread).

Any ideas, or anything that could help, or is this banned, or opinions, or... anything really.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-06, 03:40 PM
Hello everybody. In case you haven't figured it out already, my name is Halna. Or, at least that's what I tell people.
Anyway, I'm trying to do a Magic: the gathering pseudo-contest on GITP. I need help figuring out how to do it.

Anyway, my basic idea is that you use your own cards, post your deck in a main thread, then go do battle with another person, while a judge oversees (all in another thread).

Any ideas, or anything that could help, or is this banned, or opinions, or... anything really.

I have a question, thought or opinion or anything really.

What would stop people from lying about the cards they own?

"Dude, I totally own 4 of each Mox. Would I lie?"

Edanor
2007-11-06, 07:03 PM
"Pics or it didn't happen"

Had to be done.

Neftren
2007-11-06, 10:08 PM
Just go to Anycraze or something and copy em in. Not everybody has a scanner you know.

Ominous
2007-11-07, 02:53 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to borrow my uncle's complete alpha set.

Prepare to be lotused to death!

MeklorIlavator
2007-11-07, 03:43 PM
Well, One thing you can do is limit certain cards. For instance, only one(if any) of the power nine, plus any other cards like that(mox, banned cards, ect). There will have to be some honor involved, due to the ability of one to just say anything they want, but unless I've missed my mark on what the make up of the board is, I don't think it would be a problem.

Oh, and I would have every one submit a deck list with side board(with a card limit on the sideboard) so that nothing accidentally slips in, such as cards from sets that aren't allowed, and to make sure that the sideboards are finalized.

Also, you I believe that there was a tournament that was active at some point, but I can't find any sign of it(I believe it was in the 30 day thread limit section of recruitment), but if you can contact them, their input would be valuable. I think they had a limit on the number of legends, but I can't remember anything else.

Oh, and I would like to join.

Edit:
The best way is likely some sort of honor code.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-07, 09:34 PM
Well, One thing you can do is limit certain cards. For instance, only one(if any) of the power nine, plus any other cards like that(mox, banned cards, ect). There will have to be some honor involved, due to the ability of one to just say anything they want, but unless I've missed my mark on what the make up of the board is, I don't think it would be a problem.

Oh, and I would have every one submit a deck list with side board(with a card limit on the sideboard) so that nothing accidentally slips in, such as cards from sets that aren't allowed, and to make sure that the sideboards are finalized.

Also, you I believe that there was a tournament that was active at some point, but I can't find any sign of it(I believe it was in the 30 day thread limit section of recruitment), but if you can contact them, their input would be valuable. I think they had a limit on the number of legends, but I can't remember anything else.

Oh, and I would like to join.

Edit:
The best way is likely some sort of honor code.

Wow. Ummmm, please explain most of the stuff you said, cause I have no idea what most of it is.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-11-08, 12:32 AM
Hmm, to limit the amount of overpowered super cards, (This means Black Lotus and all the other Mox), lets limit deck construction to certain sets.

I suggest the Urza Saga up.

Not sure about Portal or Unglued though.

Replacement
2007-11-08, 01:37 AM
Why don't you guys actualy build decks to DCI's existing formats? Type 1, Legacy, Extended, and Standard.

Destro_Yersul
2007-11-08, 01:55 AM
I suggest Standard. It's the easiest to learn and has a fairly small card pool, all of which is from recent sets and therefore similar in power.

Plus it disallows old broken cards.

Reinboom
2007-11-08, 02:31 AM
Or here's one:
Everybody builds decks.
Submits the decks.
You play your deck for the first round (2?). This filters out a lot of people.

Then everyone randomly swaps decks each round.
You can never get your own deck again.

Mordan
2007-11-08, 04:54 AM
This requires a little set-up on the part of whoever is running it, but he finds a list of "acceptable cards" then rolls to see which cards end up in each deck, and creates a deck for each person. He gives them the listing of what their decks have in them, and then gives everyone a chance to "trade" their cards to other people to customize their decks. Each trade has to be supervised and annotated by whomever is running the contest, since he has the master list. Any trades he didn't approve and annotate did not occur and if you try to play the card, you're SoL.

Play begins on a thread and continues until someone is victorious in each heads up match. Then the players continue on with the decks they have already built, until only 1 is left at the end.

Though some option to "buy" new cards from the person in charge at the end of each round would be intersting, or even rewarding the winners of each round with "bonus" cards they can add to their decks. But while the round are going on, no additions or purchases can be made.

Malek
2007-11-08, 07:07 AM
Interesting idea, though making people use "cards they really own" will in my opinion cause more trouble than it's worth. Instead maby we could organize something more like The Gathering Storm (http://forums.gleemax.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415) from WotC boards? The bans list along with 1 of each card limit should prevent most abuses, plus TGS encouraged a bit of Role-Playing :smallbiggrin:

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-08, 06:10 PM
Or here's one:
Everybody builds decks.
Submits the decks.
You play your deck for the first round (2?). This filters out a lot of people.

Then everyone randomly swaps decks each round.
You can never get your own deck again.

Okay, of all, this seems the simplest, easiest, and probably best idea, because it would generally prevent cheating and promote fair play, since you wanna get past the first round, but don't wanna give your enemies too big of an advantage.

So, I'm probably gonna choose this.
I still need players and refs.

MeklorIlavator
2007-11-09, 06:29 PM
Wow. Ummmm, please explain most of the stuff you said, cause I have no idea what most of it is.

Well, One thing you can do is limit certain cards. For instance, only one(if any) of the power nine, plus any other cards like that(mox, banned cards, ect).

In the first paragraph I was suggesting that you limit the number of banned cards. The example was the power nine, nine cards from alpha that are considered so powerful that they can allow one to win by virtue of having a deck that contains them. For instance, there was a card that allowed one to take an extra turn. For two blue mana. Here's a wikipedia page:The Power Nine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Nine). The list of banned cards is on wizards, and consists of cards that are considered too powerful to be reprinted, and are also banned during tournament play(as in you can't have them in your deck), while cards on the restricted list are limited to one copy in a deck(instead of the usual four). I was suggesting that you restrict the number of copies of cards on either list in a deck.

In the second paragraph, I was suggesting that someone should check the decks and sideboards(which are 15 cards that are not in the deck itself, but can be substituted into one's deck in between matches) to make sure that they follow any rules enacted. Of course, that assumed that you were going to use sideboards, which may not be then case.

When I mentioned an honor code, I meant that we would have to rely on the players to follow the rules to some extent, because they could always say that they had a power nine card. I believed that we could trust them, to some extent, and that they wouldn't lie to take advantage of the other players. Of course, In conjuction with this I believe that the power nine/ banned list should be ineligible for play, due to the fact that they are too powerful.

On your current idea,how would one draw the cards? If you actually have the cards, you can at least draw the cards naturally(though in that case we would have to rely on everyone's honor not to cheat), but how would one do it online?

Istari
2007-11-09, 07:51 PM
I dont like switching decks it would be hard to figure out the stratagy of the new decks. Plus we can judge decks on a deck to deck basis if the character has absurd cards then we can just not allow it.(the deck would have to be very absurd not just powerful)

As for drawing I was thinking that there would be a judge that would print out the decks and draw for the players.

Reinboom
2007-11-09, 11:40 PM
I dont like switching decks it would be hard to figure out the stratagy of the new decks. Plus we can judge decks on a deck to deck basis if the character has absurd cards then we can just not allow it.(the deck would have to be very absurd not just powerful)

As for drawing I was thinking that there would be a judge that would print out the decks and draw for the players.

I don't like subjective opinions on power levels. Clearly defined "what's banned" and "what's not" only is preferred. A rather innocent deck may appear rather powerful on first glance or the person making the decision on what's powerful or only finds it too powerful in comparative to her/his opinion on power levels and vis-a-vis.

Okay, of all, this seems the simplest, easiest, and probably best idea, because it would generally prevent cheating and promote fair play, since you wanna get past the first round, but don't wanna give your enemies too big of an advantage.

So, I'm probably gonna choose this.
I still need players and refs.

I could referee, having official judging experience, and a rather broad grasp of the rules - though I've been out of the loop for awhile.

If there's not enough players, however, I could be one instead.

For the system of playing used - that is rather important. An external program is my preference (Magic Workstation, or other - NOT Apprentice), something that can keep logs and then the guiding refs post the results.