PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a race with alter self as a spell-like ability.

warrondilor
2021-01-01, 10:22 PM
So I'm looking for a playable race with alter self as a spell-like usable at least 1/day.

All official books are allowed, including campaign specific material and dragon magazine.

So far I've found:

Fey'ri (RoF) ---- alter self/at will LA+2 or +3 (depends on abilities you select)

Doctor Despair
2021-01-01, 11:08 PM
What is it for, out of curiosity? Changelings are close (LA+0, a disguise self at will that physically changes the changeling).

warrondilor
2021-01-01, 11:18 PM
I wan't to build a factotum and I think having alter self would add to the flexibility of the character. Changelings wouldn't do since disguise affects only the way you look. Alter self on the other grant you some qualities of the form you take, like natural armor, movement mode...

Rebel7284
2021-01-03, 12:35 AM
Momentary Alteration feat from Unearthed Arcana gives any race Alter Self. Requires some back story about how you were exposed to the spell in the past.

Mechalich
2021-01-03, 12:43 AM
If I recall correctly Half-Dopplegangers (it was in Dragon, I forget which issue, somewhere in the 310-315 range I think) had alter self 3/day. I think they were LA +2.

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-03, 03:06 AM
If I recall correctly Half-Dopplegangers (it was in Dragon, I forget which issue, somewhere in the 310-315 range I think) had alter self 3/day. I think they were LA +2.

#313 and its Alternate Form 3/day into 3 beforehand chosen humanoid forms. You can remain in these forms for unlimited duration.

ShurikVch
2021-01-03, 09:32 AM
Zern (Monster Manual IV) have Alter Self at will (Shifting Guise SQ), but 8 HD and LA +7... :smallsigh:

Faceless One PrC (Dragon #300) gets at-will Alter Self at the 5th level

Houri template (Player's Guide to the Wilderlands) gives Alter Self 5/day (but altered shape should be female); LA +3

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-03, 11:11 AM
Well, it costs a feat, but there's this little-known template that grants access to alter self 1/day. It grants 1 HD, but it's +0 LA, and it grants access to a number of other arcane spells as neat little abilities, as well.

I think it's called...Precocious Apprentice wizard? :smalltongue: Take changeling if you want to do something similar in addition, at will.

schreier
2021-01-03, 11:38 AM
Irda from dragonlance ... There are two different versions, one in the Dragonlance campaign setting has change shape 3/day, but the version I prefer is in Races of Ansalon, which does not have the daily limit. The races of ansalon has a couple feats that expand the viable forms. Both are +2 LA

Here are the feats:
Changer Adept
You have devoted your time and effort into expanding your shapechanging talents.
Prerequisite: Irda, Int 17, level 7th.
Benefit: You may add animal, magical beast, ooze, and Plant to your list of creature types you may change shape into.
In addition, you gain a +2 bonus to saving throws against transmutation spells and effects, and you may modify the effective caster level of any transmutation effect that targets you by one (from –1 caster level to +1 caster level) for the
purposes of variable effects, duration, etc.
Normal: You may only change shape into a humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or giant.

Changer Savant
You have mastered the art of changing form.
Prerequisite: Irda, Int 19, level 13th, Changer Adept.
Benefit: You may polymorph as a spell-like ability usable 3 times a day in addition to your change shape racial ability.
The caster level is equal to your character level.
Normal: You may only change shape into a humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or giant.

Vault756
2021-01-05, 10:10 AM
If you take a Silver Dragon or Doppelganger Bloodline you'll get access to Alter Self as a sl 1/day. It's not exactly free and you don't get it at level 1 but any character can take it.

Prime32
2021-01-05, 11:01 AM
If an item is okay, fleshshifter armor from BoVD gives you CL3 alter self at will.