PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic/Metapsionic Feat That Makes Instantaneous Blasty Spells Continuous?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-02, 12:22 AM
I've never encountered a feat that turns an instantaneous* spell or psionic power into a continuous stream of energy, like, for example, a DBZ energy blast. Is there a meta- feat that allows for this, so you can concentrate on an effect and have it continue between casting it and finishing your concentration? A fireball would continue affecting the spell's Area even on turns other than your own, sort of like turning it into a fiery acid fog, only with the qualities of a fireball. Maybe some way to move the Area, especially for effects like lightning bolt and cone of cold that originate from your space?

The only feats I've seen that's anything like this at all are Strafing Breath, Lingering Breath, and Clinging Breath, which allow you to run a breath weapon as you move for a single round, turn a breath weapon into a cloud, and affect things caught in the breath weapon the following round, respectively. None of them work on spells, and none of them are really what I'm looking for (although combining them kinda comes close for a breath weapon, but not a spell).

Has anyone seen a feat like this? And if one doesn't exist, how would you balance it out so it works reasonably well without either being far too strong or useless?

*Like a fireball, not a wall of stone.

icefractal
2021-01-02, 01:10 AM
In Psionics Unleashed (DSP, for PF1, but a very direct port of 3.5 Psionics), there's the Lingering Power (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/feats/lingering-power-metapsionic/) metapsionic feat that does this for AoE effects, although only lasting one round. That feat doesn't cost any additional PP, so an improved version that lasts longer and/or works on non-AoE spells seems plausible.

Another place to look would be Repeat Spell, which only duplicates it once but doesn't require concentration. IMO, with a concentration requirement it would be reasonable to go at least 4 rounds at the same cost.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-02, 01:28 AM
In Psionics Unleashed (DSP, for PF1, but a very direct port of 3.5 Psionics), there's the Lingering Power (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/psionics-unleashed/feats/lingering-power-metapsionic/) metapsionic feat that does this for AoE effects, although only lasting one round. That feat doesn't cost any additional PP, so an improved version that lasts longer and/or works on non-AoE spells seems plausible.

Another place to look would be Repeat Spell, which only duplicates it once but doesn't require concentration. IMO, with a concentration requirement it would be reasonable to go at least 4 rounds at the same cost.What I really want is to hold a spell's effects for multiple rounds, so that a fireball remains a fireball, in all its boiling, broiling, blazing glory, the entire time. Or I could basically turn a fire energy wave into a massive, multi-round flamethrower, emanating from my hands.

Or if I could find a [Force]-based version of a Long-Ranged lightning bolt, maybe I could pull off a DBZ beam-struggle with someone else. :smallcool:

Miss Disaster
2021-01-02, 01:33 AM
Ta-dah!

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/lingering-spell-metamagic/

For Pathfinder.

It's a little watered-down compared to your original idea, but it's something to build some homebrew off of ...

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-02, 09:12 AM
Why not take a Warlock or Dragon Fire Adept? Line & cone shapes all day long at will. You can easily fluff it into a continuous stream by recasting it every round and still can move while doing so. It's up to you how you want to visualize it.

edit:

Maybe some way to move the Area, especially for effects like lightning bolt and cone of cold that originate from your space?
Eldritch Theurge lvl 3
Spellbalst: Place any spell that effects an area (including personal range spell) on you eldritch blast as essence. Activates on the first target hit (only works on shapes with attack rolls) at any corner of his space you chose. Combine with Eldritch Spear for 250ft range.