PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Dungeons & Dragons for Children

Scoper
2021-01-02, 02:56 AM
I have children and wondered how I could introduce them to role playing games. The D&D rules are rather complex and I can't expect an eight year old to read the Player's Handbook. So I tried to simplify the rules as much as possible, while still allowing me, as DM, to use all the regular rules and monsters etc.

I have run a few sessions with children aged 8 to 11 using these rules, and it worked out really well. They were able to easily grasp the rules and play the game. And children are easy to design a dungeon (or other adventure) for - they don't care about a clever plot or interesting NPCS or a detailed world. Just put some rooms together with monsters and obstacles and add some gear for them to find and use in creative ways.
Please comment. If you see a way to improve it or know of a better system, let me know.
And if you want to play this with your own children, have fun!

Overview
Variant rules based on D&D 3.5, but can be easily adjusted for other versions. Suitable for children around age 8 and up. Or anyone who prefers simplicity.
Dungeon Master uses the base game mechanics. NPCs and monsters also use the base rules. This guide assumes familiarity with at least the rules in the player's handbook.
Players use simplified characters and rules. No classes, races, feats, skills, or saves. To compensate, players have improved ability modifiers. All skills can be used untrained.

Rules you need to explain to your players
The Dungeon Master will tell you where you are and what is going on.
Whenever you want to do something, say what you want to attempt and roll the 20-sided die. The DM will tell you to add the number for one of your six abilities. The DM will tell you if you succeed or fail and the result of what you tried to do.
In combat, wait for your turn. You can move up to 6 squares and do one thing, like attacking or using an item, each turn. If you get hit, you lose Hit Points. If your HP go to zero or below, you are unconscious.

Character Creation
A character sheet consists of 6 ability modifiers, Hit Points, Armor Class, attack damage, and equipment.
Roll a d6 once for each ability. These are the ability modifiers. Players do not write down or track abilities, only modifiers.
Hit points are 10 + constitution modifier.
Armor Class is 10 + 5 armor + dexterity modifier.
Damage is d8 + strength modifier.
Attack bonus equals strength modifier. Initiative equals dexterity modifier. Saving throws also equal the appropriate ability modifiers. These do not need to be written down.

Starting equipment
Longsword. DM may allow players to choose a battleaxe or warhammer in stead. With the simplified rules, it makes no difference. All deal d8 damage.
Armor with 5 armor bonus, no maximum dex, no armor check penalty.
One Potion of cure light wounds

Magic
Players can find, buy, and use potions as normal. The DC to identify a scroll or potion is reduced to 15 + spell level. Uses an Intelligence check as the spellcraft skill. Players can use an identified scroll with a Charisma check DC 10 + spell level, like the use magic device skill. Or DC 15 + spell level for an uidentified scroll.

Playing the game
Played as a regular D&D game. Anything the players attempt can usually be resolved by rolling d20 plus appropriate ability modifier. DM does not need to reveal the target DC or modifiers, but simply tells the result.
Do not keep track of details like torches, light, carrying capacity, or whether players have their hands free. Assume that they are able to see what they need to see and hold what they need to hold.

Combat
Players may move up to 6 squares and take an action, such as attacking. Or attack first and then move.
Other rules may be introduced later, when needed.

Progression
Each additional level grants a player d10 + Con Hit Points and +1 to one ability modifier. Players gain none of the other usual benefits of level progression.

Razade
2021-01-02, 04:01 AM
I am going to honestly suggest introducing them to Powered by the Apocalypse systems. A more narrative, less crunchy system where failure means XP and good results lets them control the way things plan out. It focuses on asking questions and answering them, giving control and taking control and a less math heavy game system. Making your own PbtA hack is pretty easy, there's a Simple World design doc out there for free and there are tons of hacks (of various quality) out there for various game styles. A Dungeons and Dragons style game doc called World of Dungeon is out there and is a single page long, which should be easy for kids to read and grasp, while you work on your own suited to your group.

Simple World is, by its very name, as boiled down to basics of the PbtA system as you can get. No math above addition and subtraction, simple stats, a basic 2d6 for every roll and a good miss, partial, full rate that doesn't change or alter. No perma-death if you don't want either, lots of systems don't even have health, and as stated you only get XP when you fail a roll. A good, simple, system where loss isn't a punishment which kids are bound to dislike and a success is visceral while encouraging creative thinking and building on a shared story.

Anymage
2021-01-02, 04:11 AM
Obviously D&D for kids won't track a lot of minor annoyances like torches.

Whether PbtA based or d20 based, though, I don't know how much kids actually need a specialized robust ruleset vs. just having the parts of the rules they interact with be simplified. In other words give them simplified premade characters and be willing to refluff somewhat (E.G: all magical types run on warlock rules even if they never made any bargains for their power), but as the grown up at the helm of the game you don't need to throw out the extra depth to the system yourself.

MoiMagnus
2021-01-02, 06:46 AM
Character Creation
A character sheet consists of 6 ability modifiers, Hit Points, Armor Class, attack damage, and equipment.
Roll a d6 once for each ability. These are the ability modifiers.

Alternative character generation:
Roll 12d6 (or any number of d6 you like), and count the number of times each face is present.
# of 1s -> Mod of Strength
# of 2s -> Mod of Dex
etc

Also, low level 5e is very simple, so it might be an easier jump into a full D&D RPG than 3.5 once they get some interest in it.

GravityEmblem
2021-01-02, 09:58 AM
I'm running a D&D 5E game for a group of kids-the youngest is 11, the oldest is 14. They seem to have a pretty good hang of the game.

Scoper
2021-01-03, 08:11 AM
Thanks for your suggestions.
PbtA seems like a good system. But at first glance, the character sheets look more complex than what I would give to an 8 year old.
I should try it out some day.

Whether PbtA based or d20 based, though, I don't know how much kids actually need a specialized robust ruleset vs. just having the parts of the rules they interact with be simplified.
...as the grown up at the helm of the game you don't need to throw out the extra depth to the system yourself.
Exactly. The d20 system gives me the depth I need. I give the kids just the tiny fraction of the rules the need to interact with.

MoiMagnus and GravityEmblem, I think you are right. I will probably introduce them to 5e when they are a bit older. 11 and up seems like a good age for that.