PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Rings of Spell Storing

Biggus
2021-01-03, 10:00 PM
Would you allow Rings of Spell Storing of different power levels than the three in the DMG?

The formula is simple enough (spell levels stored squared x 2000GP). From that, we could make for example:

1 spell level: 2,000GP

7 spell levels: 98,000GP

20 spell levels: 800,000GP

(The last one would require Forge Epic Ring; I don't think it would trigger the epic x10 cost modifier, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.)

I don't see any good reason not to allow them (I'm the DM) but I thought I'd run it past the experts first.

Darg
2021-01-04, 12:28 AM
I personally can't see a reason why you couldn't allow it. The players have to store the spells, can't simply bypass components, and the rings get expensive. For the price of 1 9 level ring, the player could buy like 20 9th level scrolls. I'm always for options to increase player longevity over short term power.

Biggus
2021-01-04, 12:01 PM
Thank you. The main issues with the rings I thought might allow abuse are that they make personal-range spells available to other classes (which for most classes is otherwise difficult or impossible to do) and of course with personal-range spells comes Persistent Spell...

Gruftzwerg
2021-01-04, 12:40 PM
Thank you. The main issues with the rings I thought might allow abuse are that they make personal-range spells available to other classes (which for most classes is otherwise difficult or impossible to do) and of course with personal-range spells comes Persistent Spell...

The custom magic items rules are there for a reason. But as pointed out in the rules, the DM needs to allow them.
Imho it all depends on which optimization level your table wants to play. If everybody is using high optimized stuff (including the DM! otherwise it becomes very fast very boring) it is totally OK and within the rules. On the other hand, if all the others play on a low optimized level, it would be to strong imho.