PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Sorcerer (PC concept)

Tiki Snakes
2007-11-06, 01:59 PM
So, I've always enjoyed the idea of monstrous PC races, especially anythings small and generally ridiculous. (Ironically, considering my ambivalence to halflings and gnomes).

For a while now, I've been musing on the idea of a Kobold Sorcerer, as inspired by the Races of the Dragon supplement. Combined with the second Web enhancement, I really feel it could be a great PC.

anyway, the concept is, First level I take as a Barbarian. Two simple reasons - A small amount of basically bonus physical skills, and as first level hitpoints are not rolled, a good reserve of basically "Extra" hitpoints to burn on the Ritual of the Dragon and it's eventual (web enhancement 2) level 6 successor. The level 6 version, which burns 3 hitpoints, basically gives me back the caster level and spells per day I'd lose by taking the level of barbarian, and he general feels more likely to survive past level 1/2 than the 3hp sorcerer that would otherwise be necessary.

Added to this, a Kobold strength is their size allied to relatively good speed. When the small creature suddenly has a move speed of TWICE that of most creatures his size, due to barbarian fast movement, we're really talking about making the most of the Kobold's lot.

Couple this with the Kobold wielding a Glaive (1d8 damage at small size, plus reach? It's kind of tempting, isn't it?) and I really feel that I have a solid feeling Player Character concept, that would be relatively workable (if not twinktastic) with anything close to the elite whatsit ability points to distribute, or standard point-buy, the heavy ability penalties kobolds get wouldn't be instantly crippling, either.

So, more Importantly, what's the general opinion on this idea? Thematically, mechanically and otherwise. What about ideas for later levels, and so on?

Past level 6, (Which, by this plan, is already spent, feat-wise) What would be particularly worth taking for this odd little snapper?

AmberVael
2007-11-06, 02:10 PM
What are you looking for out of the sorcerer component? Things to help you in combat? General spellcastyness?

Currently, my best played Kobold character has been a Kobold Sword Sage- they get magic-ish stuff and combat ability, and if you play with the right feats and combos? Who CARES if you have low strength? You'll own them with everything else!
If you want a more traditional sorcerer with combative ability, instead of taking a level of barbarian and throwing caster levels out the window for a one time bonus, why not use the Battle Sorcerer variant? He gets more HP all through his class, can wear light armor, and can cast spells at the same level of a normal sorcerer to boot.

Anywho, that's my take on it.

Tiki Snakes
2007-11-06, 02:21 PM
Actually, assuming whichever DM I eventually run this under is fine with it, the Web enhancement Feat that I'd be taking at level 6, (after taking the Ritual of the Dragon at Level 1 and a required one from the enhancement at level 3) would effectively, as I understand, give me back the level I'd lost by taking barbarian, so I wouldn't actually have lost any caster levels *permenantly*, and have gained martial weapon proficiency to boot, which means instead of merely using a longspear for at most 1d6, I'd be swinging a 1d8 Glaive.

Mostly, the single Barbarian (starting) level is there to soak up the 4 hp I'd have to Permenantly and Irrevocably lose by level 6. Given that we're talking Kobold, He's unlikely to have much to spare otherwise. Essentially yes, I'm thinking basically straight sorcerer with a breif 1 level dip to offset those costly kobold ritual abilities/bonuses, and with the additional bonus of a few extras like the fast movement, martial proficiency, and so on. (Rage not being so much an issue, for obvious spellcasty reasons.)

cupkeyk
2007-11-06, 02:24 PM
I am waiting to have someone else say that losing caster levels is bad... Sorc is already a level slower than wizards and making yourself one more level slower is BAD!!!

The best sorc build I have seen so far is http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-647969

I myself has played a Kobold Sorceror several years ago but i can't recall my build.

RTGoodman
2007-11-06, 02:30 PM
We just played an all-kobold campaign last Spring, and I have to say that it was one of the most enjoyable games I've played.

Anyway, for a kobold sorcerer (or a kobold of any class), you should look into just buying Races of the Dragon. It's well worth it, in my opinion.

I know the first rule of spellcaster optimization is to NEVER lose caster levels, but the Kobold Paragon from the first web enhancement (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060127a) seems good. And Battle Sorcerer seems like it could be a pretty viable option for you. Also, definitely do the Ritual of the Dragon - it's a pretty good trade-off if you've got decent HP. Especially if you grab a good spell.

Also, take a look at the Dragonwrought Kobold in RotD, if you get a copy. It might require a feat or something, but it makes you a bit better than a standard kobold. Also, it gives you the opportunity to get wings or other cool draconic stuff.

cupkeyk
2007-11-06, 03:54 PM
If you insist in taking a Barb level, you can get the UA variant where you give up rage for a favored enemy, then since you probably have a rank in Knowledge Arcana, take the variant class feature in PH2(or CMage, I forget) and take arcanist as your favored enemy. You hunt down other spellcasters because of your draconic superiority complex.