PDA

View Full Version : Ceremorphed Experiments (or “Mind Flayer Family Favorite Creature Fashioning and...

kbob
2021-01-04, 05:35 AM
... Filleting Fun”
This is a forgotten realms campaign.
So I have the adventurers after an artifact held by an alhoon (A) that wishes to become a true lich. (For those that don’t know, As are undead mind flayers (MF) that are like pseudo-liches). There is a way, according to DnD lore, for them to become true liches though. Which is was our A wants to do.

MFs do not like arcane magic for some reason and will exile a MF that practices such. The A practices necromancy so he was exiled. He also dabbled in chromomancy (a new school that WotC keeps teasing about). he found the location of an old Nautilus (MF space ship) that had crashed and become entombed in a mountain in the underdark (not THE Undermountain) for centuries (I am going with the popular lore that MF are from the future).

His goal, again, is to become a lich and destroy his former hive then take over the underdark and offer everyone non-voluntarily employed jobs. His means of doing so is: 1. becoming a lich 2. ”employing” adventurers and other sentient beings deemed smart/skilled/powerful enough to be worthy of such an “honor” 3. making horrificfically fun and interesting pets out if anything that he can find in the underdark and experiment on.

So this is where my Q comes in. Do any of y’all have any cool ideas that he can come up with? He has a lot to work with. He can dominate, create undead, create constructs, and his personal favorite, create ceremorph (CM) experiments with tadpoles that he stole from his former hive. Oh and he has technology (though I need to be careful with this as players get their hands on stuff and whatnot). So far I have: zombies (Z), Z with magnetic boots that walk on walls/ceilings at half movement (they fall on there victims for falling damage and if the Z survives, they try to eat their victims brains horror movie style not MF style), modified flesh golems that were former adventurers, CM mimics, CM rust monsters (hunger for brains overrides rust hunger which only kicks in if victims brain is devoured... desert), neothelid spliced with a stone giant (basically a neothlid that has multiattack and can throw boulders... got the idea from a random mini I found that somehow looks exactly like what I’m describing... will be asleep and hooked up to wires and other gizmos... loud noises and such won’t wake it as it needs to be “turned on”... if players turn on by playing with gears and buttons then, “oops”... the A has it for a future siege attack on his former hive but needs to be properly prepared as he cannot adequately control the beast, as such awakening it can be problematic for all parties involved) and dominated races from the underdark. Of course there are intellect devourers and mindwitnesses and other established things but this is a major boss concluding a major chapter in our adventure that has been building up since August. I don’t want to disappoint. Not looking for TPKs but (though never the goal) PC death is a real threat in our games and the players want it as such. Say that as to suggest, not looking for insta party wipes nor cheap death for a PC but scare factor (and humor factor) are to be expected at this kind of build up. Sooooo thoughts???

Ettina
2021-01-04, 01:17 PM
This list of atypical ceremorphosized creatures is likely to be useful for you:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Ceremorphosis#Half-illithids

Millstone85
2021-01-04, 05:57 PM
He also dabbled in chromomancy (a new school that WotC keeps teasing about).The tease has been over since the release of Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, back in March 2020.

The book introduced three new subclasses:

Fighter: Echo Knight
Wizard: Chronurgy Magic
Wizard: Graviturgy Magic

EGtW also came with 15 new spells, which DMs were advised to make readily available to the new wizard subclasses and offer as quest rewards to other spellcasters. Of these 15 spells, 4 were presented as chronurgy spells and 6 were presented as graviturgy spells, though it meant nothing rule-wise. For example, gift of alacrity is a chronurgy spell, but in practice it has the divination tag.

he found the location of an old Nautilus (MF space ship) that had crashed*nautiloid :smallsmile:

zombies (Z), Z with magnetic boots that walk on walls/ceilings at half movement (they fall on there victims for falling damage and if the Z survives, they try to eat their victims brains horror movie style not MF style)This is the hunting method of the piercer (MM p252), an underdark creature that disguises itself as a stalactite.

The piercer is the larval form of the roper (MM p261) which, as noted in Ettina's list, can be ceremorphed into an urophion.

CM mimicsIn 4e, mimics could mature into impersonators. These went full-on The Thing, acquiring the traits and memories of their victims. Now that I think about it, it would make a lot of sense for impersonators to be somehow connected to the illithids.

There is also the oblex in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, an illithid-created breed of ooze that can assume the form of a creature whose memories it has stolen. However, the oblex is more like an anglerfish, in that it is only a protrusion of itself that shapeshifts into this lure.