PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Min-Maxing Rune Knight/Artificer - Grappler Sharpshooter Dart Thrower Controler?

Benny89
2021-01-04, 07:15 AM
I wasn't fan of Fighters before but Rune Knight seems to me like a blast to play. So much CC on top of normal Fighter chasis.

So how can we min-max him more? Fire Rune thrown weapon for casters, Charm for melee, grappling with advantage two enemies, giving disadvantage to save (HUGE utility for both you and party members).

But I would like to squish some good DPR here as well + with Tasha I can now distribute Ability Score racial bonuses where I want.

So the plan is to combine tons of things to have very good damage, great control and good AC. And so 2 levels of Artificer comes in mind. Not only it fits with Theme, but it also gets some neat infusions.

Build is intended to introduce some more interesting playstyle/combo than your basic min-max Sharpshooter Samurais, XBE Battle Masters etc. because those are known for pure DPS values.

BASIC BUILD

So the base chasis would be 8 Rune Knight/2 Artificer, going up to 15 RK/2 Artificer

Feats: Crossbow Expert/Gunner, Sharpshooter, Grappler

Fighting Style: Archery

Infusions: Armor of Magical Strength, Enhanced Defense, Returning Weapon, whatever else you want.

Runes: Fire Rune, Frost Rune, Stone Rune, Hill Rune (once we are level 10 RK)

MAIN WEAPON Combo

Our main weapon wil be... Dart. Why? Because:

1. It's a range weapon so it benefits from Sharpshooter.
2. It's a thrown weapon so it benefits from Throwing Style (f you take it with for example Variant Human or later ASI)
3. It's a simple ranged weapon so it benefits from Archery
4. It's a one-handed weapon so it can be used on grappled creature because we need only one free hand for grapple. And you can make ranged attacks vs grappled enemy. Nothing says you can't :). You would have penalty because 5 feet range, but that is why we take XBE or Gunner feat.
5. It's a finese weapon so it can be used with Strength
6. It's a single thrown weapon so it can benefit from Returning Weapon, getting +1 to dmg and hit on top of that
7. It can benefit from Fire Rune and multi attacking with it on level 15 RK (where you can use Rune twice) since it returns to you after each attack and creature only needs to be hit by it.

So when we combine it with Giant's Might, Armor of Magical Strength, Grappler feat, XBE/Gunner and Sharpshooter we get:

We can Grapple anything up to Huge size. We have advantage on Grapple and +1/2 bonus from Armor of Magical Strengt, +3 from STR and +2 from Frost Rune. You also get Guidance from Artificer so extra 1d4 to your next ability check for free, netting another +2.5 to initial grapple. You also have proficiency (+2 to +6) bonus. So total of +9.5 min to +17.5 max with advantage. If you want to stay with 13 INT only just for multiclassing - use Enchanced Defense instead for your armor for extra AC. You can also squeeze later some way of getting Expertise if you can make it work.

We have advantage on attack rolls (any attack rolls) vs Grappled enemy. We need one free hand for grapple. In second hand we have Returning Dart +1. We can make range attack vs grappled creature. Sharpshooter gives +10 dmg, XBE/Gunner eliminates penalty to attacking creature 5" from us and Archery gives +2 to hit, decreasing overall SS penalty to -3. We attack with Strength so we don't have to pump DEX and instead we can focus on STR and CON. And since we have Grappler - we attack with advantage.

So we can attack with 1d4 + STR +10 with advantage.

On top of that we can have other thrown weapon prepared with Fire Rune and one item with Stone Rune.

RACE CHOICE

Race. When it comes to Race, thanks to Tasha ability score rules we have tons of options: Mountain Dwarf with +2 to STR and CON is good choice. Yuan-ti with +2 STR and +1 CON with Spell Resistance is great. Winged Tiefling is also very good (though limits you to Medium armor) as you can grapple up to 2 targets and fly with them and even drop them for some fall damage. Since Grappler allows you to pin target and get him and yourself restrained - a Wildhunt Shifter can also work well as enemies won't have advantage on attacks against you when you are restrained. Protector Aasimar could work with it's flying + bonus damage. Tabaxi with it's double speed also benefits grappler as you can move 30 feet away with your grappled enemy. Variant Human as always will be solid due to extra feat (you could add extra Throwing Fighting Style for +2 damage or Mobile feat or Lucky etc.) which makes build get full combo faster. Thanks to Tasha we have tons of options.

FULL CC COMBO

Full comobs. We have full plate armor with Enchanced Defense so 19 base AC. We need free hand for grappling so no shield for us.

Since Frost Rune lasts 10 minutes- let's assume you already have it activated for current series of combat.

In combat use Bonus Action for Giant's Might. Use your reaction and activate Stone Rune on enemy (try to target melee enemy who should have lower WIS saves). Use one of your attack to throw Fire Rune Dart on another enemy (try to target casters as they have low Strength saves). Use your second attack to grapple another enemy (try to target the Big Boss here so you can inflict damage on him from next turn). Action Surge - now you have couple options:

1. Attack grappled enemy with 2x 1d4 + STR + 10 +1 sharpshooter attacks using your Returning Dart +1. You have advantage on all attacks.
2. Grapple second enemy with another attack if you feel like it will benefit party more.
3. Use your full Action Surge action to pin down grappled enemy, making him and yourself restrained. This will give you party members advantage on attacks against him and if you are Wildhunt Shifter - enemies won't get advantage vs you and your pinned enemy will have disadvantage on attacks vs you.

Following next turn you can keep attacking your grappled target with your Returning Dart for heavy damage and once you are RK 15 - you can throw Fire Rune Dart at another enemy, use Stone Rune at another enemy.

If everything went well after your first turn you have 1 enemy restrained, 1 enemy charmed and 1 enemy grappled/restrained which gives you huge damage bonus from your attacks - or you have 2 enemies grappled/restrained if you pin them both.

Once you are level 15 RK you can by the end of your 2nd turn have - 2 enemies restrained, 2 enemies charmed, 1 enemy grappled/restrained for huge damage bonus or 2 enemies grappled/restrained.

Also once you have Hill Rune - you can use your reaction on the 2nd turn to give enemy disadvantage on saving throw or ability check. Great to make sure Big Bad Boss remains grappled/restrained (Or Fire/Stone runed guy) for this turn or to help you party member caster with some nasty spell like Banishment for example.

And best part - all returns on short rest.

LEVELING

Still not sure about this one. I would probably go Grappler as first feat with archery to play as control for first few level, using thrown weapon with Fire Rune, Stone Rune and Grappling/Restraining as my base tactic. I would go to level 6 RK to get Extra Attack and ASI (Crossbow Expert/Gunner), then 2 levels of Artificer for Infusions and then continue RK and taking Sharpshooter. You can speed it with Variant Human. If your party have ways to give you bonuses to attack like Fearie Fire/Bless etc. then I would start with Sharpshooter, then go Crossbow Expert and then Grappler.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Additionally if you don't want to grapple anyone (why not?)- you can use shield + returning dart combo if your party has other ways to give you advantage vs enemies. You can still Fire Rune/Stone Rune them but your AC will be 21.

At first you can grab anything up to Huge with Giant's Might active so Adult Dragons - no problem. Pin them too. Later you can grapple and restrain even Gargantual enemies. Ow, don't forget small but still extra damage to one attack every turn with Giant's Might. 1d6 to 1d10 later.

So here is the build. If you like it - I will post it on " An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds".

I think it's a fun build to use and offers different playstyle. You are to judge :)

Elastoid
2021-01-04, 07:28 AM
How are you making a ranged attack against a creature you're grappling?

Benny89
2021-01-04, 07:34 AM
How are you making a ranged attack against a creature you're grappling?

Where does it say I can't use ranged attack against grappled creature? I may have missed it but I don't recall that you can only make melee attacks on creature you grappled. You have one free hand still which you can use with Thrown weapon. By rules grappled enemy is in 5" of you since your grappled creature must be in your reach.

bendking
2021-01-04, 07:46 AM
The rune selection isn't ideal. Frost Rune is very weak and not worth wasting a rune on.
There is also no reason not to use both the 7th level runes, they are just objectively better.

I would take the following:
1. Cloud Rune.
2. Storm Rune.
3. Hill Rune.

They are simply the best runes on offer.
Until you get to 7th level I would take Cloud Rune and Fire Rune.

Also, how do you attack grappled enemies with advantage?

Bilbron Bafflestone did a great job building a grappling Rune Knight build, I would suggest taking some cues from his build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkXrSNmz0g

Benny89
2021-01-04, 07:53 AM
Also, how do you attack grappled enemies with advantage?

Grappler feat:

"You’ve developed the Skills necessary to hold your own in close--quarters Grappling. You gain the following benefits:

You have advantage on Attack Rolls against a creature you are Grappling.
You can use your action to try to pin a creature Grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, you and the creature are both Restrained until the grapple ends."

As for rune selection. I can agree with replacing frost but not with Fire. It's too good to pass imo vs enemy casters. Stone rune is also great vs low WIS save enemies.

The point of this build is not to ONLY grapple but to CC as many enemies as possible. Stone and Fire Rune are extra 2 enemies CCed in your turn without interfering with your Grappling.

bendking
2021-01-04, 08:00 AM
Grappler feat:

"You’ve developed the Skills necessary to hold your own in close--quarters Grappling. You gain the following benefits:

You have advantage on Attack Rolls against a creature you are Grappling.
You can use your action to try to pin a creature Grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, you and the creature are both Restrained until the grapple ends."

As for rune selection. I can agree with replacing frost but not with Fire. It's too good to pass imo vs enemy casters. Stone rune is also great vs low WIS save enemies.

The point of this build is not to ONLY grapple but to CC as many enemies as possible. Stone and Fire Rune are extra 2 enemies CCed in your turn without interfering with your Grappling.

I see. I don't consider Grappler to be a good feat and I think you'll find most people here would say the same.

Stone is great, and I would pick it alongside Cloud on 3rd level, but as soon as you get access to 7th level runes which are objectively better it's not as high on the priority list.
Here's what I would do:
3rd: Cloud, Stone
7th: Cloud, Storm, Hill
10th: Cloud, Storm, Hill, Stone

Also, Simic Hybrid works best for this type of build.

Benny89
2021-01-04, 08:06 AM
I see. I don't consider Grappler to be a good feat and I think you'll find most people here would say the same.

Stone is great, and I would pick it alongside Cloud on 3rd level, but as soon as you get access to 7th level runes which are objectively better it's not as high on the priority list.
Here's what I would do:
3rd: Cloud, Stone
7th: Cloud, Storm, Hill
10th: Cloud, Storm, Hill, Stone

Also, Simic Hybrid works best for this type of build.

Normally I would agree but on this build it is a great choice. It's free advantage with Sharpshooter attacks vs enemy you are already grappling/restraining. Not only you remove enemy from combat but you inflict heavy damage on him.

Imagine grappling an Adult Red Dragon and attacking him every turn with 2x 1d4 + STR + 11 dmg with Archery Style and Advantage. Once you are level 11 RK you have 3 attacks. That is very good DPR. With Action Surge on turn 2 you attack 5x 1d4 + STR + 11. That is HEAVY damage. Without it - you are only great grappler. But now you are both great grappler and great damage dealer to the target you are already grappling, giving your self free Vow of Enmity on enemy.

Simic Hybrid doesn't give you anything really. It's tentacles still require you to make attack and you grapple on bonus action: " Immediately after hitting, you can try to grapple the target as a bonus action".

Normally with Fighter you just replace one of your attacks with grappling attack and grapple.

Bonus action you need for Giant's Might so Simic Hybrid is not optimal choice.

bendking
2021-01-04, 08:21 AM
Normally I would agree but on this build it is a great choice. It's free advantage with Sharpshooter attacks vs enemy you are already grappling/restraining. Not only you remove enemy from combat but you inflict heavy damage on him.

Imagine grappling an Adult Red Dragon and attacking him every turn with 2x 1d4 + STR + 11 dmg with Archery Style and Advantage. Once you are level 11 RK you have 3 attacks. That is very good DPR. With Action Surge on turn 2 you attack 5x 1d4 + STR + 11. That is HEAVY damage. Without it - you are only great grappler. But now you are both great grappler and great damage dealer to the target you are already grappling, giving your self free Vow of Enmity on enemy.

Simic Hybrid doesn't give you anything really. It's tentacles still require you to make attack and you grapple on bonus action: " Immediately after hitting, you can try to grapple the target as a bonus action".

Normally with Fighter you just replace one of your attacks with grappling attack and grapple.

Bonus action you need for Giant's Might so Simic Hybrid is not optimal choice.

Or you can just shove them. Grappler simply isn't worth a feat.
Simic Hybrid gives you the option to grapple three times as many enemies. You can always grapple with those arms as one of your attacks, the option to grapple as a bonus action is just one of them.
Giant's Might is just on the first turn. Disqualifying the advantages of Simic Hybrid because of that is a bit much, don't ya think?

Anyway, seems we'll have to agree to disagree. I personally prefer Bilbron's take on the RK but this would also work.

Benny89
2021-01-04, 08:40 AM
Or you can just shove them. Grappler simply isn't worth a feat.
Simic Hybrid gives you the option to grapple three times as many enemies. You can always grapple with those arms as one of your attacks, the option to grapple as a bonus action is just one of them.
Giant's Might is just on the first turn. Disqualifying the advantages of Simic Hybrid because of that is a bit much, don't ya think?

Anyway, seems we'll have to agree to disagree. I personally prefer Bilbron's take on the RK but this would also work.

How is free advantage on all attacks with Sharpshooter not worth? I don't understand. Getting advantage on attacks is one of the biggest thing people try to squeeze in on all sort of min-max builds. It's like saying Elven Accuracy is not a good feat because it's doesn't work on Strength Barbarian. Yes, it's not good feat here, but it's great feat on other build. And why would I shove them? The point is to pin enemies, giving yoursellf advantage to all your attacks and potentially restrain target completely.

Also, you say it as me and Bilbron are in some sort of competition and we have to compromise one build for another one - both builds are for something else. His focus MAINLY on grappling. My focusing on multi-CC + high single target DPR.

It's like compering XBE SS Battlemaster to Shield Master/Magic Initiate/Wild Elf Magic Battlemaster. Two different things. Even if class is the same. None has to take anything from another one as both had something else in mind when they were created.

Contrast
2021-01-04, 08:54 AM
The point is to pin enemies, giving yoursellf advantage to all your attacks and potentially restrain target completely.

For reference, there's two main issues the with the pin. First, it takes an action (not just one of your attacks) - that's potentially a lot damage that you need to recoup before the move breaks even in terms of damage.

Second, it also restrains you - so your attacks have disadvantage and you get attacked with advantage. They cancel out so you and your target attack each other with straight rolls and everyone else attacks both of you at advantage. Shoving is generally preferred because it means they do attack you at disadvantage while you attack them with advantage, it can be done as part of the attack action and it doesn't cost a feat. The disadvantage of shoving is that it hurts ranged allies.

In your build I'd say you're really picking Grappler for the first bullet point - the second is going to be pretty situational in its use.

bendking
2021-01-04, 09:02 AM
How is free advantage on all attacks with Sharpshooter not worth? I don't understand. Getting advantage on attacks is one of the biggest thing people try to squeeze in on all sort of min-max builds. It's like saying Elven Accuracy is not a good feat because it's doesn't work on Strength Barbarian. Yes, it's not good feat here, but it's great feat on other build. And why would I shove them? The point is to pin enemies, giving yoursellf advantage to all your attacks and potentially restrain target completely.

Also, you say it as me and Bilbron are in some sort of competition and we have to compromise one build for another one - both builds are for something else. His focus MAINLY on grappling. My focusing on multi-CC + high single target DPR.

It's like compering XBE SS Battlemaster to Shield Master/Magic Initiate/Wild Elf Magic Battlemaster. Two different things. Even if class is the same. None has to take anything from another one as both had something else in mind when they were created.

I say it like that because both your builds do extremely similar things. They are definitely not as different as you make them out to be.
He is doing GWM, you're spending CBE and SS to do almost the exact same thing only with extra steps and an extra feat wasted.
You also waste a feat on Grappler which is simply a bad feat, even on this build, as Contrast explained.
It seems to me that both builds do almost the exact same thing, but one of them does it more efficiently, that's all. I apologize if the comparison offended you in some way.

Mitchellnotes
2021-01-04, 09:09 AM
As an alternate take, I am a big fan of combining shove prove with the slasher feat. Grappling certainly has some advantages, but also has some disadvantages. In your build, you have to finagle using a thrown weapon against a grappled target (which is going to raise some eyebrows), but even beyond that, I have a haaarrd time wrapping my head around even a two level dip in another class with the rune knight. The rune knight benefits so much by staying in the class (that level 15 feature is amazing, level 7 is huge, level 11 is 3 attacks, etc., etc.)

Getting the expertise in athletics feat, GWM, and Slasher means that you can shove prove and then hit with a slashing weapon, slowing movement by 10 feet. Worst case, by level 8, you have 3 runes, multiple attacks, advantage and expertise in athletics, GWM, slasher, and can make 2 attacks per round (meaning you can shove prone and GWM hit with advantage, or nova and shove prone with 3 attacks). For your opponent to move, they have to stand up using half their movement on top of 10' less movement per turn. This s going to keep most people pretty stuck. Sure, they can dash away, but that just means they aren't doing anything else. Until their turn comes around, they are prove giving the usual prone advantage, and it means that you aren't grappled, which is better when fighting larger groups.

I'd also give a shout out for fire rune. While you are "doubling up" on Str checks since you are focused on athletics, early on the 2d6 damage (with more potential 2d6 damage per round) is really good, and later on, it doesn't take an action to activate (which is even better when your actions start to get clogged).

Also, I'd struggle not getting the stone rune if i didn't have a source of darkvision from somewhere

Benny89
2021-01-04, 09:21 AM
I say it like that because both your builds do extremely similar things. They are definitely not as different as you make them out to be.
He is doing GWM, you're spending CBE and SS to do almost the exact same thing only with extra steps and an extra feat wasted.
You also waste a feat on Grappler which is simply a bad feat, even on this build, as Contrast explained.
It seems to me that both builds do almost the exact same thing, but one of them does it more efficiently, that's all. I apologize if the comparison offended you in some way.

That's the point. The point was to make interesting build around throwing darts because anyone can do GWM build. 8/10 martial min-max builds are GWM, PAM, PAM + GWM, SS + XBE and so on.

I wanted to utilize something different with different weapon and introducing an interesting combo that works. Not even once I said my build is better or anything. It's a different take. That also gives you strong range attacks on top of still doing great dmg in CQC. More Versitile in my opinion.

GWM builds are not something new you can discover or something new you can use. Everyone know Sorcadin is OP but that doesn't mean you can't min-max Paladin builds around something different.

Every build discsussion can be shut with "But X build is better". There is always better build. Doesn't mean we can't think of something different than yet another GWM build, no?

Also, I'd struggle not getting the stone rune if i didn't have a source of darkvision from somewhere

Artificer can give you Night Goggles with Infusion "Replicate Magic Item" on 2nd level. Just take it :)

Mitchellnotes
2021-01-04, 09:31 AM
Artificer can give you Night Goggles with Infusion "Replicate Magic Item" on 2nd level. Just take it :)

Oh, if i was dipping artificer, I totally would. I think it's the decision to multiclass with anything with the rune knight is where I struggle. I would be much more likely to multiclass as an eldritch knight, but again, delaying the rune knight progression is reallly hard given how many abilities they get per level in terms of rune known, the ability to use reactions to force rerolls, 3 attacks, and again, that level 15 feature which is huge.

Benny89
2021-01-04, 09:37 AM
Oh, if i was dipping artificer, I totally would. I think it's the decision to multiclass with anything with the rune knight is where I struggle. I would be much more likely to multiclass as an eldritch knight, but again, delaying the rune knight progression is reallly hard given how many abilities they get per level in terms of rune known, the ability to use reactions to force rerolls, 3 attacks, and again, that level 15 feature which is huge.

Of course. That always the case with multiclass - the question is: does multiclass benefit you for what you plan to do with your build? Answering that question is what you need.

Falconcry
2021-01-04, 06:20 PM
If you are already taking a two level dip in artificer just go to five for second level spells. Casting enlarge on top of your giants might takes you to huge. Now you are grappling ancient dragons rather then adult dragons.