PDA

View Full Version : Need normal fantasy trope ideas

Railak
2021-01-04, 10:47 AM
So far I've got killing rats in a cellar, saving a princess from a tower, and taking out a band of goblin bandits. I've got plans for the BBEG.. but I need a lot more in between.

Batcathat
2021-01-04, 11:13 AM
If you haven't checked it already (though the fact that you use "trope" suggest that you might have), TV tropes obviously has a lot of them. This (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fantasy) might be a good starting point.

For fantasy tropes in particular, Limyaael's fantasy rants (https://curiosityquills.com/limyaael/) could be worth checking out. While they're mostly about various things the author doesn't like, it touches on a lot of the classic genre tropes. I also think they're just an entertaining read in general, even if you don't agree with everything in them.

ciopo
2021-01-04, 11:15 AM
classical western fantasy tropes? isekai tropes? because there is quite a range of difference if the setting is more along the lines of "adventurer's guild is a thing" rather than more traditional western fantasy literature

regardless of that :

clearing the sewers of slimes
precursor ruins
shapeshifters switcheroo
teleport accident of some sort
wizard tower defences going haywire and needing some muscle to clear it out
magical academy of some sort
the friendly introductory mentor-ish figure was the BBEG all along
polymorph curse of some sort
necromancer stealing bodies form the cemetery
cue frankenstein
throwing macguffins into volcanos
mind control conspiracy
orc invasion
merfolk invasion
lizardfolk invasion
demonfolk invasion
dragon invasion
undead invasion
Aberration invasion
understuff invasion
abovestuff invasion
tricksty faes but you need some boon from them
journeying to a falling star location
gathering the pieces of the tryforce/dragonballs/ elemental crystals / what have you
the prison of the ancient evil is weakening what are we going to do now
the gods are in a prissy fight and now it spilt over to the material plane, CRUSADE!
the dwarves dug too deep
old wizard wants to find a worthy apprentice

Railak
2021-01-04, 11:37 AM
Cool, I'll definitely look into/use, at least, some of those xD
I think I need about a total of 15 or so standard tropes that are different, I've got about 11 now for sure.

Asmotherion
2021-01-04, 12:20 PM
I got a few more:

-Cultist tryes to summon Fiend in the village; Potentially using villagers as offerings.
-Necromancer robs local graveyard; Local dead people seemingly come back to life, but gradually loose their humanity 'till they become mindless undead.
-Evil Wizard has muguffin needed for the rest of the plot in his tower; Party needs to find a way to obtain it.
-Romeo & Juliete parody plot, pottentially with a plot twist; Party must try and help them marry to ally 2 warring factions.
-A weak monster that people mistake for a very powerful monster (for example, a Cobolt mistaken for a Dragon from an exagerated accounting of events from a villager), has the local village terrorised.
-Local Graveyard is infested with undead rising every night; The unrested spirit of a local is raising them, and must be appeased to help it cross to the afterlife.
-Dungeon Crawling in a local Mausoleum; It belonged to someone important, and has attracted grave robbers and cultists that want to use his power.
-Unmaped region needs exploration; Cartographer searching to hire merceneries for his safety.
-A rare, thought extinct creaure was spotted locally; Find it, and where is came from.
-Party member or local is tricked into signing a contract with a Devil, and wants out. Find the Devil and convince it to cancel the contract.
-Party finds lamp containing an Efreeti. Problem is, it perverts all wish attempts, either in a litteral sence, or in a way that the wisher regreats his wish.
-Party member finds cursed object, and can't get rid of it. The object is incredibly annoying, and sentient. Find a way to deal with the object.
-Party teleports into the center of a dead magic zone, and has to find their way out relying on non-magical abilities.
-Follower or Pet turns out to be BBEG's minion all along. Betrayes party's plans or secrets, unless they all treated it with love and respect. In that case, he betrays his own master, and takes the party's side.