PDA

View Full Version : Good magic items for a gloomstalker entering tier 3?

Rfkannen
2021-01-04, 07:15 PM
My gm asked us to each make a magic item wishlist since we are entering tier 3.

I am playing a kobold gloomtalker with the chef and sharpshooter feats, his items are a "legacy weapon" bow he hasn't unlocked the powers of yet, and a bag of dust of dryness. The other members of the party are a dragonborn hexblade/whisper bard with a lifestealer blade dagger that can return. A kenku moon druid with dust of disappearance. And a gnome battlemaster who is about to get a luck blade.

The classic item for a ranger would be a bow, but I already have one of those, so I am not sure what to ask for, any ideas?

My ranger feels pretty good in combat (though I hear he might fall off soon) so I am more interested in items that would utility than damage. Items that are usful in downtime are also greatly apreciated since we do a lot of that. Also I am not sure how to say it, but items that help the character feel narratively powerful would be good? (aka things that make the character cooler rather than making them objectively better)

Any ideas for what items would be good?

ThatoneGuy84
2021-01-04, 07:32 PM
Boots of speed are generally useful for kiting.
Anything that gives flight. (Broom of flying or winged boots)
Cloak of Elvenkind
Bag of Tricks I always enjoy on ranger for free animal companions.

Bobthewizard
2021-01-04, 07:34 PM
Off the top of my head

Uncommon - Winged boots, bag of tricks
Rare - Horn of Valhalla (or the very rare one), cape of mountebank
Very Rare - Ring of regeneration, cloak of displacement, manual of quickness of action, arrow of slaying
Legendary - Cloak of invisibility

LordNibbler
2021-01-04, 08:09 PM
Cloak of Displacement: attacks against you have disadvantage EVERY ROUND until you take damage? Too good!

altasilvapuer
2021-01-04, 10:56 PM
My ranger feels pretty good in combat (though I hear he might fall off soon) so I am more interested in items that would utility than damage. Items that are usful in downtime are also greatly apreciated since we do a lot of that. Also I am not sure how to say it, but items that help the character feel narratively powerful would be good? (aka things that make the character cooler rather than making them objectively better)

I don't have any specific ideas of relevance, but what about trying to ping something relevant to the kobold part of your character, rather than your class, to really nail the thematic aspect down? I'm thinking something dragon-themed, perhaps. Even if it's not particularly powerful, at all, maybe your kobold could take extraordinary pride in being more "dragon-like" with its shiny new toy?

Outside of min-maxers and/or the first few levels, I would argue that 9/10ths of a character's race has little effective bearing on their mechanics. That +2 to a mountain dwarf's strength can be caught up to by ASIs with even something like a halfling (or maybe even a kobold). If you're entering Tier 3, then your character's mechanical effectiveness is going to be much more a product of their class & level-up choices than their race.

If you want to highlight the non-mechanical aspects, then race is a good place to start.

-asp

Rfkannen
2021-01-04, 11:11 PM
I don't have any specific ideas of relevance, but what about trying to ping something relevant to the kobold part of your character, rather than your class, to really nail the thematic aspect down? I'm thinking something dragon-themed, perhaps. Even if it's not particularly powerful, at all, maybe your kobold could take extraordinary pride in being more "dragon-like" with its shiny new toy?

Outside of min-maxers and/or the first few levels, I would argue that 9/10ths of a character's race has little effective bearing on their mechanics. That +2 to a mountain dwarf's strength can be caught up to by ASIs with even something like a halfling (or maybe even a kobold). If you're entering Tier 3, then your character's mechanical effectiveness is going to be much more a product of their class & level-up choices than their race.

If you want to highlight the non-mechanical aspects, then race is a good place to start.

-asp

I would Love some dragon stuff! I think it would prob be grabbed by the dragonborn though. The dragonborn worships the dragon gods and my kobold worships the primal spirits, so the dragonborn would have dibs. Would be rad to become an urd or something though!

da newt
2021-01-05, 09:07 AM
Some other options of various rarities:

slippers of spider climbing (u)
weapon of warning (u)
amulet of health (r)
animated shield (vr)
belt of giant ST (various)
bracers of archery (u)
cloak of arachnida (vr)
mantel of spell resistance (r)
ring of spell storing (r)

For a Kobold Gloomstalker Archer - I like the Cloak of Arachnida. When you can run along the walls and ceiling it's pretty easy to find a dark corner to be invisible in and make it much harder to target you.