PDA

View Full Version : I need some help to build a Twilight domain Cleric!

Chronic
2021-01-05, 05:34 PM
Hello guys, I have the opportunity to play a small 5e campaign,aand since tasha's came out I had my eyes on the twilight domain Cleric. Seems to me like a good support cleric, probably on the frontline. But I'm not actually used to build clarics, especially the one in heavy armors.
My problem with heavy armors is that wearing a plate require 15 in strength or be willing to lose some movement. 15 strength is a pretty stiff requirement for a cleric that will be sub-par in melee anyway (I mean the 1d8 or 2d8 radiant once a turn on melee is nice but barely). Considering that the twilight domain as a few stealth shenanigans, i was wondering if going for medium armor and finding stealth proficiency somewhere would be the best way to go.

So what's your point of view on this domain?
What's the coolest way to build one?

For my part is was considering a mounted combatant cleric (takes care of the mobility problem in heavy armor) , but considering how squishy a horse can be, and that the cleric doesn't get access to find steed, I might need to bring a few equine friends to replace the ones that get brutally murdered.

Droppeddead
2021-01-05, 06:23 PM
Hello guys, I have the opportunity to play a small 5e campaign,aand since tasha's came out I had my eyes on the twilight domain Cleric. Seems to me like a good support cleric, probably on the frontline. But I'm not actually used to build clarics, especially the one in heavy armors.
My problem with heavy armors is that wearing a plate require 15 in strength or be willing to lose some movement. 15 strength is a pretty stiff requirement for a cleric that will be sub-par in melee anyway (I mean the 1d8 or 2d8 radiant once a turn on melee is nice but barely). Considering that the twilight domain as a few stealth shenanigans, i was wondering if going for medium armor and finding stealth proficiency somewhere would be the best way to go.

For my part is was considering a mounted combatant cleric (takes care of the mobility problem in heavy armor) , but considering how squishy a horse can be, and that the cleric doesn't get access to find steed, I might need to bring a few equine friends to replace the ones that get brutally murdered.

I'd go with one of the following, based on Standard Point Array or Point buy (if you roll well it doesn't really matter) and racial bonus variants from Tasha's.
Either a Goliath with Str and Wisdom 16, Con 13 (take resilient Con at Level 8) and the rest up to personal preference.
Or a Variant human with the Resilient Con Feat. Use point buy to get Strength and Wisdom up to 16 and Con to 13 (which will then become 14 with Resilient). The rest is up to personal preference. With Vigilant Blessing you don't really need a high Dex.

If you *really* want to minmax you play as a half-elf and use point buy to get Strength 16, Con 14 and Wisdom 17. At 4th level you take Elven Accuracy and boost your wisdom to 18.

In any case, I would pick Blessed Strikes over Divine Strike since it can be used for both spell attacks and weapon attacks. Besides that all you need is a long dark coat and mixtape with the Cure and Cruxshadows and you are ready to go. B)

LudicSavant
2021-01-05, 06:36 PM

Don't feel like you have to take heavy armor. Seriously, you can just use Medium, invest in Dexterity, and win initiative with your Advantage, and maybe even skulk around in the dark with your giant Darkvision without letting everyone know you're there. Oh, and take "Blessed Strikes" instead of "Divine Strike."

Heavy armor isn't going to give you an advantage in AC over Medium for at least a while (ex: Medium Scale Mail is 16 AC for 50gp, and Heavy Chain Mail is 16 AC for 75gp). Even when you can afford Full Plate, you've got an extra 750gp in your pocket from being Medium-armored, which is worth more than an Uncommon magic item (if you can get one), or worth as much as 30 potions from Herbalism.

Mind, sooner or later full plate will eventually give a +1 AC advantage (even in a game with magic item access, costs of additional AC bonuses will swiftly inflate + your attunement slots will run out), but even when it does you're looking at the opportunity cost of investing 15 Strength instead of 14 Dexterity, resulting in worse initiative and saving throws.

Heavy armor is nice, but it's not quite the straight upgrade to medium that people often assume it is. If you don't want it, you can live without it IMHO.

MrWesson22
2021-01-05, 08:32 PM
Well, the old obvious answer is just to make a dwarf. They ignore the strength requirement for heavy armor.

Chronic
2021-01-05, 09:08 PM
Don't feel like you have to take heavy armor. Seriously, you can just use Medium, invest in Dexterity, and win initiative with your Advantage, and maybe even skulk around in the dark with your giant Darkvision without letting everyone know you're there. Oh, and take "Blessed Strikes" instead of "Divine Strike."

Heavy armor isn't going to give you an advantage in AC over Medium for at least a while (ex: Medium Scale Mail is 16 AC for 50gp, and Heavy Chain Mail is 16 AC for 75gp). Even when you can afford Full Plate, you've got an extra 750gp in your pocket from being Medium-armored, which is worth more than an Uncommon magic item (if you can get one), or worth as much as 30 potions from Herbalism.

Mind, sooner or later full plate will eventually give a +1 AC advantage (even in a game with magic item access, costs of additional AC bonuses will swiftly inflate + your attunement slots will run out), but even when it does you're looking at the opportunity cost of investing 15 Strength instead of 14 Dexterity, resulting in worse initiative and saving throws.

Heavy armor is nice, but it's not quite the straight upgrade to medium that people often assume it is. If you don't want it, you can live without it IMHO.

Unfortunately I tends to agree with you, especially considering you don't get much from pumping strength on a cleric unlike true martial with heavy armor proficiency and multiattacks.
A solution might be to go 14 dex then asking your very kind GM to provide you a mithral plate armor in the foreseeable future, but it's not exactly reliable.

For dwarves, they clearly are a top pick for clerics in heavy armor! (I just don't want to play one atm).

Anyway I'm not necessarily going for the most optimized character, twilight is a powerful domain and my usually very optimized characters tends to steal the show in combat by sheer effectiveness, so this time supporting my allies with a decent character is all I wish for.

But if you have funny ideas for builds, or funny background concept, hit me!

Right know I had this idea of an old human (55-65 of age) who was a former mendicant or travelling judge in his youth, who then settled, married a priestess, had children and realized 30 years later that with his kids grown up, his wife and him became estranged, and that the political intrigues of the church wore him down.
So he decided to crack his old joints, grab an old weapon and a backpack and travel the land again at the twilight of his life, keeping people safe from the horrors that can be found in the beautiful night, might they be dallying lovers or peacefully asleep folks.

He would start again at level 1, after all he hasn't fought in 30 years, and his arthritis is slowing him down. The air on the road will surely do him good and rekindle his faith and powers.

Nod_Hero
2021-01-06, 08:20 PM
Besides that all you need is a long dark coat and mixtape with the Cure and Cruxshadows and you are ready to go. B)

I'd argue for some Depeche Mode or New Order or Siouxsie and the Banshees to be on that tape...

Chronic
2021-01-06, 10:24 PM
Funny I was thinking more of smooth jazz and classical music myself. I really see the twilight domain Cleric as a someone taking long walk under the moonlight, delighted by the peaceful sounds of the sleeping forest, occasionally smiting a noisy monster or two!

That's why I like hearing other people's input, sometime they see something completely differently from me.

Omni-Centrist
2021-01-06, 10:33 PM
My idea for Twlight Was:

You're a frontline Cleric. Con and Wis, very important. Half Plate, dont worry about Plate. You NEED the Blade Cantrips, and having Sheliehleih (cant spell it) would be really nice. So I would dip 2 Levels Wizard, Play Wood Elf, Take Wood Elf Magic eventually, and make sure to get War Caster.

You will be quite the terrifying Cleric with Booming Blade and GFB on the front line while your Spirit Guardians absolutely eat the front line.

Droppeddead
2021-01-07, 05:43 AM
I'd argue for some Depeche Mode or New Order or Siouxsie and the Banshees to be on that tape...

Granted. But we would also need some early David Bowie.

Funny I was thinking more of smooth jazz and classical music myself. I really see the twilight domain Cleric as a someone taking long walk under the moonlight, delighted by the peaceful sounds of the sleeping forest, occasionally smiting a noisy monster or two!

Nah, that would be a Star Druid. ;)

That's why I like hearing other people's input, sometime they see something completely differently from me.

That makes two of us! :)

My idea for Twlight Was:

You're a frontline Cleric. Con and Wis, very important. Half Plate, dont worry about Plate. You NEED the Blade Cantrips, and having Sheliehleih (cant spell it) would be really nice. So I would dip 2 Levels Wizard, Play Wood Elf, Take Wood Elf Magic eventually, and make sure to get War Caster.

You will be quite the terrifying Cleric with Booming Blade and GFB on the front line while your Spirit Guardians absolutely eat the front line.

No need for all of that, Twilight clerics are perfectly viable without a bunch of multiclassing (that just slows down your progress). Especially not with Wizard which would mkae you even more MAD. Resilient con is generally better than War Caster, depending on your stats and play style.

shipiaozi
2021-01-07, 06:24 AM
Cleric is currently the worst caster in 5e, and there is divine soul who did almost everything better.
The best cleric build picks dragonmark and spend most spell slots to cast conjure animals, more like another subclass of Druid.

Heavy armor is your best choice, medium armor also need DEX14, and usually you could accept -10ft

ff7hero
2021-01-07, 08:43 AM
Cleric is currently the worst caster in 5e, and there is divine soul who did almost everything better.
The best cleric build picks dragonmark and spend most spell slots to cast conjure animals, more like another subclass of Druid.

Any given Divine Soul can do something better than a Cleric, but none of them can do everything a Cleric can do.

Clerics are the only full casters to get even subclass based access to heavy armor and the only full casters with unrestricted base medium armor and shields. Being able to stand shoulder to shoulder with your frontline can be a valuable trait in a number of parties.

Saying that most of their slots would be better spent on Conjure Animals seems like an unfair comparison. How many spells really measure up to the wall of meat in the world of bounded accuracy? The Cleric spell list is not the most exciting, but they excel in preventing failure as long as your team can generate and maintain momentum. At high levels, they even have one of the best panic buttons in the game in Word of Recall.

tl,dr: Clerics are great. Easily one of the most powerful classes in 5e.

Chronic
2021-01-07, 09:41 AM

Heavy armor is your best choice, medium armor also need DEX14, and usually you could accept -10ft

OK on this we disagree deeply. I am a main player of sorcerer and let's be honest, divine souls are sorcerer who wish they'd be clerics. They are so overrated that I'd probably get more from a 4 element monk (which are actually underrated). The cleric spell list is excellent, and they can use it better than sorcerer, the rest of the chassis of the classe makes it one of the most busted classe in 5e. They can do everything

To respond to the person encouraging me to get blades cantrip, I won't multiclass nor go for druid initiate. Otherwise I'd simply go Arcana cleric. Excellent build but way too optimized for my group of beginners to 5e, I'm happy being a support and still doing as much damage as them with spiritual weapon/guardian 😏.

Cikomyr2
2021-01-07, 09:44 AM
Well, the old obvious answer is just to make a dwarf. They ignore the strength requirement for heavy armor.

Where is that written?

jaappleton
2021-01-07, 10:54 AM
Where is that written?

"Speed
Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor."

Quietus
2021-01-07, 11:09 AM
Honestly, Twilight domain is just tremendously good. You would build a Twilight cleric like any other cleric... except that you have some of the best options available to you across all of Clericdom. Martial weapons, heavy armor, super darkvision, and unlimited advantage on initiative is absurd. And your channel divinity option is just bonkers strong. As long as you're using that, and raising Wisdom, you will be just fine.

Cikomyr2
2021-01-07, 11:14 AM
"Speed
Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor."

/facepalm

I never even realized taht speed was the only thing impacted by not meeting the strenght requirement

MagneticKitty
2021-01-07, 11:22 AM
either a dwarf to avoid movement restriction or a tortle who doesn't have to worry about armor. tortle plus shield is like AC 19 for free

Chronic
2021-01-08, 09:48 AM
/facepalm

I never even realized taht speed was the only thing impacted by not meeting the strenght requirement

Yep, ten feet loss of movement, which is a real issue imo.

As I said for race, I've played dwarves too much I want to change, and I never play exotic races, it breaks immersion.

Seekergeek
2021-01-08, 11:34 AM
I'm currently playing a mark of shadow elf twilight cleric and it's been pretty fun. Running it dex based with studded leather, a shield and a rapier. With twilight sanctuary, my 17 AC and bolstered HP have left me feeling sturdy enough to contribute and between an attack or spell attack action and spiritual weapon I feel like I'm contributing more than enough to stay on the front line. Once we hit level 5 and spirit guardians comes online, between boosting the barbarian and the battle smith's HP and slowing the enemies around us, I'm pretty certain I'll have a good argument for MVP in combat. The class plays very nicely at low level so far and the mark of shadow spells give it a lot of options otherwise absent from the cleric spell list.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-01-08, 06:14 PM
Seekergeek, inadvertently, just made the case for why Twilight Sanctuary should require Concentration.

A Cleric of Twilight Cleric can essentially have a very close analog to having Aura of Vitality, the Fear/Charm negation of Calm Emotion in conjunction with Spirit Guardians.

Yet, Invoke Duplicity requires Concentration?

The subclass is a little to "on the nose" for my taste.

Pex
2021-01-08, 07:51 PM
A ST cleric is doable, with heavy armor, provided you don't want any particular feat. If you do want a feat be a Variant Human to get it, usually warcaster. You can have 16 ST 14 CO 16 WI at first level. 18 ST at 4th level, 18 WI at 8th level, or vice versa your choice. Attack with weapon and Spiritual Weapon is your goto strategy when you just want fight. You're still a cleric, so cast your other spells when warranted and don't worry you aren't fighting for the combats you absolutely need to be casting spells.

However, if you aren't intending to be a warrior cleric then medium armor works fine. Scale mail, Shield, DX 14 gives you AC 18 at first level, same as if you had chainmail and shield. Best you can do later is get half-plate for AC 19 until magic armor with a plus appears. AC 19 is fine. You have Shield of Faith, so starting at AC 18 at 1st level gives you AC 20. That's very good at the low levels.

What you're feeling is a sense of loss. If you're given heavy armor proficiency but don't use heavy armor it can feel like you're gimping yourself, being inefficient or missing out. You aren't. Of all your cleric abilities, heavy armor proficiency is insignificant in comparison. It's wonderful if you do use it, but it's also wonderful if you don't.

Yakmala
2021-01-08, 08:16 PM
I've been playing a Firbolg Twilight Cleric in a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign. They are now level 6. I've been loving it so far. My insights below:

1: Dex over Str and wear medium armor. Higher initiative + advantage on initiative means I get to set up my party buffs faster. Twilight Sanctuary goes off at the end of each party member's turn. The earlier I am in initiative, the more beneficial this is.

2: In six levels, I've never drawn a weapon, so I don't really care about Shillelagh or Blade cantrips. My typical combat against a dangerous group of enemies goes like this:

Round 1: Action Twilight Sanctuary. Bonus Action Spiritual Weapon.
Round 2: Action Spirit Guardians. Bonus Action Spiritual Weapon or Steps of Night if allowed/needed.
Round 3: Move to reposition to optimize Spirit Guardians. Dodge Action to reduce chance to be hit and lose Spirit Guardians (I picked up Resilient Con at 4), Bonus Action Spiritual Weapon or Healing Word if a party member has been reduced to 0.
Rounds 4 and beyond: Repeat of Round 3. Replace Dodge action with other situational spells as needed. Sometimes if a big enemy is close to death, I'll replace my Dodge action with Inflict Wounds to finish them off.

3: Consider eventually picking up two levels of Stars Druid and run Dragon Starry Form. Combined with Resilient Con or Warcaster, you will never worry about losing concentration again.

Chronic
2021-01-09, 09:25 AM
It's true that the channel divinity is powerful, but making it concentration would make it bad. The cleric suffer mostly from two things, too much concentration spells and to much competition for its bonus action.
What I didn't tell is that I'm not playing 5e, I'm playing Héros et Dragons, à French version of 5e, with different subclasses and feats. I'm fine picking 5e twilight domain because it's compatible, but also probably less powerful than the cleric subclass given in the player handbook of H&D. Some of the feats are quite powerful too: one allows you to cast a cantrip with a bonus action if you take the attack action for exemple.

Sigreid
2021-01-09, 10:53 AM
Twilight Domain? Cover yourself with glitter dust then engage in teen romance melodrama with a mopey under aged school girl :smallbiggrin:

Chronic
2021-01-09, 01:55 PM
Well it is okay if my character Looks like a teenager, even if he is 60 years old, il saw that in a movie! 😂

Pex
2021-01-09, 02:12 PM
Twilight Domain? Cover yourself with glitter dust then engage in teen romance melodrama with a mopey under aged school girl :smallbiggrin:

I'd rather be the narrator of other people's nightmares, object lessons, and spooky shenanigans.

Quietus
2021-01-09, 11:31 PM
Well it is okay if my character Looks like a teenager, even if he is 60 years old, il saw that in a movie! 😂

You'd have to ask your DM.

Segev
2021-01-10, 11:32 AM
Consider a small race for your wizened old cleric. If you have a mount doing your movement for you, your own movement being impeded by your heavy armor and low strength is unimportant. You could be an elderly halfling or a particularly wizened old gnome. Your mount would be Medium sized, so fits anywhere the majority of adventurers do. It probably has a 40 foot move speed. You might even be able to get a flying mount.

Chronic
2021-01-10, 09:44 PM
Well the problem is, mounts are very squishy, and clerics do not get access to find steed. Mounted combattant is an heavy investment just to get a plate armor. I do like the idea of a mounted cleric, I just think the price tag is a little high.

mistwell
2021-01-10, 10:19 PM
I've been playing a Firbolg Twilight Cleric in a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign. They are now level 6. I've been loving it so far. My insights below:

1: Dex over Str and wear medium armor. Higher initiative + advantage on initiative means I get to set up my party buffs faster. Twilight Sanctuary goes off at the end of each party member's turn. The earlier I am in initiative, the more beneficial this is.

2: In six levels, I've never drawn a weapon, so I don't really care about Shillelagh or Blade cantrips. My typical combat against a dangerous group of enemies goes like this:

Round 1: Action Twilight Sanctuary. Bonus Action Spiritual Weapon.
Round 2: Action Spirit Guardians. Bonus Action Spiritual Weapon or Steps of Night if allowed/needed.
Round 3: Move to reposition to optimize Spirit Guardians. Dodge Action to reduce chance to be hit and lose Spirit Guardians (I picked up Resilient Con at 4), Bonus Action Spiritual Weapon or Healing Word if a party member has been reduced to 0.
Rounds 4 and beyond: Repeat of Round 3. Replace Dodge action with other situational spells as needed. Sometimes if a big enemy is close to death, I'll replace my Dodge action with Inflict Wounds to finish them off.

3: Consider eventually picking up two levels of Stars Druid and run Dragon Starry Form. Combined with Resilient Con or Warcaster, you will never worry about losing concentration again.

I am curious how do you manage to use your racial invisibility power, given if you force anyone to make a save or do any damage (like from spiritual weapon or spirit guardians) it goes away? Spirit Guardians should shut it down pretty quick?

Segev
2021-01-11, 12:38 AM
Well the problem is, mounts are very squishy, and clerics do not get access to find steed. Mounted combattant is an heavy investment just to get a plate armor. I do like the idea of a mounted cleric, I just think the price tag is a little high.

Doesn't Twilight Cleric have more ways to keep allies alive than most? I'll look into it more later.

Sigreid
2021-01-11, 07:37 AM

If you find room in your build to take mounted combat as your 4th level feat, your mount should be no problem, with or without barding etc.

Chronic
2021-01-11, 07:56 AM
Doesn't Twilight Cleric have more ways to keep allies alive than most? I'll look into it more later.

Huh, It didn't even touched my mind, there is in fact no reason my mount could not benefit from my channel divinity... Thank you sir!

da newt
2021-01-11, 08:50 AM
If you really want to dump ST and DEX but have high AC, a small race (kobold, gnome, etc) on a donkey/mule (8 gp) will give you 40' movement speed, it's medium sized so it fits anywhere easily, plus a free dash/disengage/dodge and you can wear heavy armor. You can buy barding for your mount or take the Mounted Combatant feat to increase its survivabilty, but it will always be vulnerable to AoE spells.

Personally, I'd KISS and build with dex and med armor, but the idea of a Kobold Twilight Cleric on a donkey who can make their own dim light bubble to ensure they have pack tactics when needed (guiding bolt etc), great mobility to put Spirit Guardians right where you want it, and you can dump ST and DEX and INT and CHA, sounds like fun to me.

Chronic
2021-01-11, 09:28 AM
Huh, It didn't even touched my mind, there is in fact no reason my mount could not benefit from my channel divinity... Thank you sir!

OK to give you an idea, my character in it's current non final state was a variant human (with three +1 to ability, instead of the two of dnd) with the equivalent of resilient con, so the stat array is as following: 8 st, 14 dex, 16 con, 10 int, 16 wis, 12 cha.
so I have quite an excellent array of stat and prof in con, which is excellent too if rather boring.

EDIT: I quoted myself instead of editing my post like an idiot 🙄

Sigreid
2021-01-11, 09:41 AM
If you really want to dump ST and DEX but have high AC, a small race (kobold, gnome, etc) on a donkey/mule (8 gp) will give you 40' movement speed, it's medium sized so it fits anywhere easily, plus a free dash/disengage/dodge and you can wear heavy armor. You can buy barding for your mount or take the Mounted Combatant feat to increase its survivabilty, but it will always be vulnerable to AoE spells.

Personally, I'd KISS and build with dex and med armor, but the idea of a Kobold Twilight Cleric on a donkey who can make their own dim light bubble to ensure they have pack tactics when needed (guiding bolt etc), great mobility to put Spirit Guardians right where you want it, and you can dump ST and DEX and INT and CHA, sounds like fun to me.

AFB, but if I remember right, Mounted Combat effectively gives your mount evasion when you are riding it. So AOE should be manageable.

da newt
2021-01-11, 02:00 PM
Sig,

Correct, but of course the evasion feat only applies to DEX saves so it is a significant benefit but does nothing for AoE that require other saves.

Segev
2021-01-11, 02:32 PM

And it's effectively passive; you affect all creatures in the sphere at the end of their turns, so if you're using it at all, your mount benefits without you having to expend anything specifically for it.

Donkey is a very good, cost-effective choice of mount, too. You can afford 3 of them for the price of one mastiff, and unless the three are all caught in the same AoE, you can switch out as you need them.

Chronic
2021-01-11, 09:54 PM
OK guys, as I said I'm play with an OSR game of 5e, so some subclass and pretty much every feats are different. I just noticed that the equivalent of mounted combattant is not as good as the one in 5e, but there is this feat:

MAGE-WARRIOR:
-you can use a hand wielding a weapon as a free hand when it come to the somatic part of casting a spell.
-After using the attack action, you can cast a cantrip as a bonus action
-You can cast spells at higher levels without spending an higher spell slot by sacrificing 1d6 hp for each level higher. You cannot exceed your maximum spell level know, and you cannot use it for spells restoring hp.

OK something tell me this is stupid good. Sure clerics have many uses for their bonus action such as spiritual weapon, but being able to upcast spells for hp is crazy good, and the somatic part is the cherry on top. And if you are short on spells, you can still hit pretty hard.
Do you think the damage for upcasting would bypass the temporary hp provided by the channel divinity as raw?
What array of stat + race would you choose?
Would you consider lowering your con a bit to get a better dex or str modifier for the attack?

(to be honest I'm probably not gonna use this feat in this game because as I said before I'd rather not play something game breaking, but I'm quite curious of how you would build around it).

Droppeddead
2021-01-12, 03:11 AM
I would stay away from mounted combat. It totally messes with the Twilight domain's ability to fly.

Chronic
2021-01-12, 03:54 AM
I would stay away from mounted combat. It totally messes with the Twilight domain's ability to fly.

I love flying but since your bubble is only 30 feet, my guess is even when you fly you are probably not gonna move that much unless you really have to, and nothing prevents you from taking of the back of your glorious mount then landing on the back again like your own glorious personal carrier!

Droppeddead
2021-01-12, 07:53 AM
I love flying but since your bubble is only 30 feet, my guess is even when you fly you are probably not gonna move that much unless you really have to, and nothing prevents you from taking of the back of your glorious mount then landing on the back again like your own glorious personal carrier!

What are you talking about? The bubble moves with you. You can fly as much as your speed allows you.

Chronic
2021-01-12, 09:54 AM
Yeah of course it moves with you, but the goal of you channel divinity is to distribute it's affect to as much teammates as possible. In since the channel divinity is a sphere, affecting allies who aren't on the same plan than you can quickly become difficult.

Quietus
2021-01-12, 01:44 PM
OK guys, as I said I'm play with an OSR game of 5e, so some subclass and pretty much every feats are different. I just noticed that the equivalent of mounted combattant is not as good as the one in 5e, but there is this feat:

MAGE-WARRIOR:
-you can use a hand wielding a weapon as a free hand when it come to the somatic part of casting a spell.
-After using the attack action, you can cast a cantrip as a bonus action
-You can cast spells at higher levels without spending an higher spell slot by sacrificing 1d6 hp for each level higher. You cannot exceed your maximum spell level know, and you cannot use it for spells restoring hp.

OK something tell me this is stupid good. Sure clerics have many uses for their bonus action such as spiritual weapon, but being able to upcast spells for hp is crazy good, and the somatic part is the cherry on top. And if you are short on spells, you can still hit pretty hard.

The bolded part is worth it, if this was an entire feat on its own. The first note is useful, though limited for a cleric. The latter is pretty situational. You could upcast a cure wounds at yourself for a statistical +1 healing per upcast, but more importantly you can use it to upcast an AoE with a good scaling die to more aggressively remove threats. If this results in even a single target being taken out before they can act, it can be worth it.

Chronic
2021-01-12, 02:38 PM
Just to be clear you cannot use the last bullet point for spells with an healing effect.

Droppeddead
2021-01-12, 02:42 PM
Yeah of course it moves with you, but the goal of you channel divinity is to distribute it's affect to as much teammates as possible.

That's just one use of it. And it's literally just as easy to cover your teammates on a 3D plane as it is on a 2D plane.

Chronic
2021-01-12, 02:54 PM
Hum I'm not gonna start a debate on how using a sphere in a 3d environment is different of its use in 2d, let's just say I disagree.