PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Giantslayer AP: PC fiction

Powerdork
2021-01-05, 05:47 PM
I'm joining a game of Giantslayer, and trying to get a flavourful build that suits the premise of Giantslayer (you begin in a small human town in orc territory, ideally someone from that town is there, or other kinds of locals besides).
In terms of content restrictions, 9th-level prepared casters (such as cleric, druid, wizard, witch) have been ruled out, and Dreamscarred Press's psionics and maneuvers are in play (I own all the books, so there's no shortage of content to pull from), as well as Forrestfire Studios's avowed class.

I've had some loose thoughts flipping through books, but I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions for classes if I like playing healers and supports, and otherwise like being in the fray with a cool sword or ball of energy.
My first thought is a water pact avowed, but I'm not sure how to make the water pact fit the scenario. Old one pact tapping into a thing from the mountains?
Else I might grab the roil dancer because I love using energy attacks.

If left to my own devices I'll probably just fiddle around with maneuvers, and justify it as part of training under the Graths? Mystic confluence marking my character for energy affinity. Who knows.

Vitalist isn't an option because 1) it's a 9s-manifesting class that swaps powers known on the daily so it probably runs afoul of the restriction on prepared casters, and 2) I don't particularly like the way it builds.

Eldonauran
2021-01-05, 07:51 PM
Wish I could help you with the 3rd party stuff, but I've never had much interest in it and haven't looked into it much at all.

As far as the Giantslayer campaign itself, I've been through it 2.5 times. Once as a GM, after I had been a player. I highly suggest a character that has abilities that have some stamina to them. Giants are no joke and if you go NOVA too early in your adventuring day, you might not live to regret it. To that end...

I'd suggest something like a Shaman that gets access to hexes ... BUT, they are 9th level prepared casters and that isn't going to work with your restrictions. There is an archetype for witch that makes it a spontaneous caster (ley line guardian) if that helps you out at all. On my successful journey through the campaign as a player, I played a Witch that used hexes to the party's benefit. You could go for a Spirit Guide Oracle to get access to some Shaman stuff. You can make a pretty tanky character out of an Oracle.

Personally, I'd make a Skald if given the chance. You can do a lot with one of those. A Belkzen Wardrummer/Sunsinger Skald is my go-to when I want to run a combat-oriented utility healer character that also buffs the hell out of everyone.

Palanan
2021-01-05, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Eldonauran
You can make a pretty tanky character out of an Oracle.

Seconding oracle. If you like healing and supporting, oracle is a great fit, and as noted they can be built to do some tanking on the side.

Powerdork
2021-01-12, 04:47 PM
Thanks, folks, but classes tell me jack about what a character’s ties to a campaign are (beyond “casts spells” or “doesn’t cast spells”.

If this is the kind of AP where it doesn’t even really matter, then I might be my most extra character idea: A voyager (skirmisher sort of class) who’s haunted by a vaster being in the mountains. Anything in the AP that invalidates the concept?

Palanan
2021-01-12, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Powerdork
...I was wondering if anyone else had suggestions for classes if I like playing healers and supports....

This looked like a request for class suggestions involving healers, which is why I endorsed the oracle.

I haven't played Giantslayer, but I have looked through the early chapters. I personally think an oracle would be a solid choice for this campaign. As for the voyager/vaster concept you mention, I have no idea what either of those are, so couldn't say if the AP invalidates them or not.

Another Handle
2021-01-12, 07:44 PM
Have you considered The Medic? (Its on the fan wiki for DSP.) Nigh infinite out of combat healing might freak out some DMs that think HP attrition is mandatory. Personally, I like that disincentivizes the 15 minute work day and allows the game to flow at the speed of plot, not HP.

Rynjin
2021-01-12, 11:02 PM
Thanks, folks, but classes tell me jack about what a character’s ties to a campaign are (beyond “casts spells” or “doesn’t cast spells”.

Classes don't typically have particular ties to APs; that comes from your own character writing. There are some rare archetype exceptions (like the Winter Witch for Reign of Winter, and the Savage Technologist Barbarian for Iron Gods) but on the whole, it's all down to your own flavoring.

That said...have you tried reading the Giantslayer Player's Guide? These kinds of questions are kinda what the Player's Guides for APs are meant to answer. You'll need to take a look at it to pick your Campaign Trait if nothing else, which is usually where one of your big character ties to the setting or conflict comes into play.

Kol Korran
2021-01-13, 08:11 PM
While I don't own many of the books you mentioned, my first two thoughts are:
1. Paladin: Has great stamina, has decent support and healing (Look at the Hospitaler archetype, there are quite a few others), and can into the fray with a fairly decent staying power. There may be an oath against giants, I haven't looked at the class for a long time.
2. Warpriest, Similar, but with more casting, and potentialy more support with blessings. Not too familar with it, but shouldn't be too hard to incorporate.